Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

Old 02-26-07, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlonde83
no go at the pearland, tx store. tried V and Gothika. Gothika even scanned at $24.99 so i just got V. anyone know of any houston stores that had the deal?

Stores at greenspoint and willowbrook in Houston were a go.... deerbrook I heard from a friend not so much....weird how some stores and employees TRY to make things difficult.
Old 02-26-07, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Worked in SF around 6PM. No memo and the cashier didn't even blink about the amount [she was busy chatting with the other cashier.] They ran out of Casablanca/Citzen Kane, but got the rest I wanted: Phantom of the Opera, V for Vendetta, Rebel without a Cause and My Fair Lady (and the 300 disk) for $21 and change. Tempted to get more but I should watch my growing pile of DVDs first.
Old 02-26-07, 11:11 PM

I went back after work at 6pm, and picked up 6 more titles for a total of 24 today! Nearly 3/4 of which are blind buys. I just couldn't turn down $5 each on these 2-disc special editions of so many highly rated or classic movies. I made 3 separate purchases (2 at lunch) and had no troubles with the cashiers. Unfortunately, the '300' discs/movie cash were not available until tomorrow at my store (Columbus, OH, Morse Rd.).

And all I really wanted to get this week was V For Vendetta! Went a little overboard! hehe! Thanks again to the OP(s) for alerting us to this awesome deal!
Old 02-26-07, 11:18 PM

sitting here reading this thread at 8:30, half an hour before the store closes in my jammies. I loath best buy, and in particular my local fullerton CA store is a scene of many tears and gnashing of teeth. Still, im a spineless jellyfish for an awesome dvd deal.
Something told me to take a shot. So i dragged on some sweats and drove over there 5 mins before the steel door goes down.

As someone said early, the $9.99 sale must have been good as pickings were lean. I found the last V for Vendetta and citizen kane 2 disks, picked up king kong and amadeus. Found 2 of the last 10 or so 300 disks as well. Held my breath, flashed a big friendly smile and went to the register. Lo and behold, the BOGO is still going!!!! SCORE. Four, 2 disc dvds and 2 movie tickets for $21 and change. Good deal. Success at worst buy is a rare thing. Thanks for the post OP.
Old 02-26-07, 11:22 PM

Thanks OP!

Picked up:
Batman
Batman Returns
Bullitt
Heat
Lost Boys
V for Vendetta
Old 02-26-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I wished they had other WB 2-disc titles like Treasure of Seirra Madre or Chaplins but I don't think really any of us are truely complaining-we all made out like bandits!!!

I see Gothika and Yankee doodle Dandy are some nobodys picking up, well don't blame all of you for not picking up Gothika...
Old 02-27-07, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Can't get in unless you register.

Care to share for the register-impared?
Oops, sorry...didn't realize...

Too lengthy to post, but basically the same list is available here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=707176
(scroll down thru the "Quick Summary")
Old 02-27-07, 12:01 AM

So I went back and picked up:

Heat
Enter the Dragon
Batman
True Romance

Heat rang up $24.99, so I ran and grabbed another copy and that fixed it.

Thank you op, this was a great deal! I've held off on these titles for such a long time, it really made my day!
Old 02-27-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tonight @ BB in Lake Forest I snatched East of Eden, Rebel Without A Cause and upgraded my copies of Shawshank, Enter the Dragon, Heat and Batman Returns, plus 4 300 discs. All for $31.xx. Pretty damn sweet. I only wish they had more titles in this sale I didn't already own.
Old 02-27-07, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One of the best deals ever:

Shawshank
Million $ Baby 3 disc
Magnolia
Boogie Nights

4 300 discs w movie cash

$21.53
Old 02-27-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a few titles at the NoHo NYC store and procrastinated over Amadeus because there were at least 6 copies on the rack at about noon. This branch is not heavily trafficked. Later, at 6:00pm, I went to buy it and all the Amadeus copies were gone except, get this, the copy I left in a shopping basket right in the middle of the selling floor next to a column. You'd probably pass by it on the way to the registers. Snagged that and Casablanca. Will return tomorrow for movie tickets.
Old 02-27-07, 01:05 AM

By the way, in addition to the number of hits here, this deal was posted on Fat Wallet and Slick Deals -- and probably every other deal alert website on the web!!

I would be quite surprised if there is much stock left after yesterday, even if the sale continues thru later today.

So, someone please report if it is still alive when the stores open later today!
Old 02-27-07, 01:08 AM

I think the woman that I talked to when I asked if Once upon a time in America and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre were part of the $9.99 deal knew what was going on. She told me when I went up to the clerk to tell her also that not only were they $9.99 *I don't think they were ever part of the deal and maybe she was just being nice to me, plus I had the only 2 copys I could find in the store* but on top of that to have her credit one of the dvds as a B1G1 deal. I never even had to ask "So if I buy one of the two-disc sets, I'm going to get another one for free". I think if there would have been a problem she wouldn't have said anything about it, or they would have flaged this days ago after word got out. I work for Longs Drugs and when something like this happens, we flag it right away when we find out that it's a computer error, and get ahold of the main office to stop it. Something tells me that Best Buy knew it was going on and didn't stop it since it's been happening since Sunday. Lets just hope that it's still happening Thursday when they get another shipment in, just in case some of you guys missed out on it.
Also, I can't belive that the clerk was that dumb not to question what my friend told her when she scaned The Departed that it was part of the $9.99 deal. I've been grilled so many times about price matchups there when something new comes out that I about wet myself when she was like ok and changed the price from $22.99 to $9.99.
Old 02-27-07, 02:07 AM

I have a similiar story to many of the above posts with one difference:

After buying 6 titles at the first Best Buy I went to, I decided I was going to return two of them later in the day. So I went to the BB near my house to return two of the titles. I handed the two movies with the receipt to the cashier and he scanned them both in the computer. The second one came up $0.00 so he asked me "Do you really want to return this one?" and I said "I can just keep it for free?" and he said "Yes" so I did. Then I bought 4 more movies at that store...so I ended up with 9 different movies for about $43. Pretty awesome. I can't believe that I got a movie for free!
Old 02-27-07, 02:45 AM

Damn I missed the sale. Any chance it will still be on tomorrow morning?
Old 02-27-07, 03:05 AM

I went back 3 times today. I think I've nearly bought every title. I'll go back again tomorrow for more.
Old 02-27-07, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Went back today and picked up the following:

Constantine: 2-Disc Deluxe Edition
Unforgiven: Two-Disc Special Edition
East Of Eden: Two-Disc Special Edition
Giant: Two-Disc Special Edition

No 300 discs/tickets out, but I could have bought the Alexander Revisited DVD as they had that out.
Old 02-27-07, 05:04 AM

Best Buy $9.99 titles

ok i went to the bb is lacrosse, wi on feb. 23 just to dink around, i picked up the thing ce, alexander final cut, and the 300 bonus disk. i thought the 300 disk was a freebe with the alexander dvd, but on the display is said it was sold for 10 dollars seperatley. so i bought it anyway, but changed my mind and returned it. thats not the issue, i bought the alexander and 300 bonus dvd on friday and the release date for the alexander dvd was the following tuesday. so does that mean that store is gonna get a 5,000 fine for selling a dvd before its release date ??(i know that because i worked at a wal-mart at one time) just curious, because its a re-release, but still. monday i went in and snagged mystic river and beer leage. so i am going to see if i can get 2 300 bonus tickets. but that also raises another question should the 300 dvd even have rang up on the friday before the release date/weekly special ?? its just very odd, i hope someone can shed some light on this
Old 02-27-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how are you guys checking if this works at your best buy or not? just taking them to the cashier and if they don't ring up as b1g1 then you're just like "nevermind, i don't think i'll be buying them" ????
Old 02-27-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VALUEMAN
By the way, in addition to the number of hits here, this deal was posted on Fat Wallet and Slick Deals -- and probably every other deal alert website on the web!!

I would be quite surprised if there is much stock left after yesterday, even if the sale continues thru later today.

So, someone please report if it is still alive when the stores open later today!
I know what you mean Valueman.

Those other sites almost always get their best Intel from this site.
Old 02-27-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
how are you guys checking if this works at your best buy or not? just taking them to the cashier and if they don't ring up as b1g1 then you're just like "nevermind, i don't think i'll be buying them" ????
The first 8 movies I took up and crossed my fingers. I was going to just return some of them later if they came up at full price.
Old 02-27-07, 07:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Pretty much.

Rules of deal hunting:

NEVER call the store.

NEVER ask an employee about a deal.

NEVER just price check an item and think that is the price. You have to go thru the register process to right before you pay (at least at Best Buy), because deals and promos come up after the cashier hits total.

Don't do anything to draw attention to a deal (especially in a case like this where it might be a price mistake).

Last edited by Trevor; 02-27-07 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-27-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to the OP...picked up Batman and Batman Returns (plus a 300 disc) for $9.99 plus tax.
After taking them up to the register, I simply told the cashier that they should be part of the B1G1 deal.
A few clicks later, he said "yep" and that was that.
Old 02-27-07, 07:56 AM

If/when someone tries this deal today (2/27), can you post on whether it's still going? I was going to drive to a BestBuy today to try and get a few of the titles that were out of stock at the closest BestBuy, but I'm not going to bother if the deal is over.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-07, 07:59 AM

OK so here's my funny story about my experience. By buddy calls me up like 7pm last night and says, "hey, so and so is buying a tv at best buy, want to go?" so I decide to go remembering reading about this deal earlier in the day. So I get there, play guitar hero, then make my way to the dvd's. And I see the 9.99 rack. I pick up "Citizen Kane" and "True Romance" just to see if the deal works. I take them up to the register and some girl is working there and BAM!!! it works. I was thinking OH SNAP!... so I said out loud to my friends waiting in line behind me "I decided i'm going to buy that other dvd" they were pissed because the line was big, but after checking out those 2 dvd's that worked with the deal I ran back into the store like a little school girl and grabbed "Mystic River" and "Citizen Kane". Yes, that right, out of pure excitement I picked up another copy of citizen kane without even noticing. So now I have 2 damn copies. I also bought "Running with Scissors" and used my 10 dollar off rewards coupon. So I made out on the deal but screwed myself from buying two Citizen Kanes. So on my lunch break i'm going back to the store to hopefully get a full 9.99 for the dvd back and maybe i can buy 2 more with that deal. hahaha.

*****Also, i totally forgot to pick up 300 discs. If I take my reciepts will they still hook me up with free movie tix???

-I'm from the Pittsburgh, PA area by the way and the deal worked last night for those who live in the area. Seemed like the best buy waterfront were totally clueless about anything. Today at lunch I will try to do the return and purchase 2 more to see if the deal still works.

Last edited by Raw_and_Vital; 02-27-07 at 08:02 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.