Fye - Trade 2, get 1 Used Free

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Fye - Trade 2, get 1 Used Free

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just have one question. Maybe it's been answered, but if it has I missed it. Say you find a movie you want that's $8.99 and one that's $5.99. Would you have to trade in 4 DVDs to get both of them, or would they count as one?
Old 02-06-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

supposed to pay tax everytime
and we are not supposed to give gift cards of store credit, that defeats the purpose of the program which is to build our used reputation.

if you find a mgr doing this, yay for you. they are not following the rules of this promo as sent to us from the home office.
Old 02-07-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sam Goody is definitely doing this promotion, too, but the selection was pretty awful at my location. I have some double dips I was trying to get rid of, but I couldn't find anything worthy to exchange them for. I'll have to check out Suncoast later this week.
Old 02-07-07, 09:51 AM
Cool New Member

I just did this...traded in 8 complete crap dvds for Citizen Kane SE, Slither, The Island, and Texas Chainsaw Ultimate Edition
Old 02-07-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm going to try my luck tonight, mainly to get rid of some older versions (including The Big Lebowski, since the new version is $4.99 at Best Buy this week). I also have one of the 50 cent DDD titles, the Everybody Loves Raymond finale, so we'll see how that goes.

Originally Posted by morph06
I just did this...traded in 8 complete crap dvds for Citizen Kane SE, Slither, The Island, and Texas Chainsaw Ultimate Edition
Two complete crap DVDs for one complete crap DVD is a hell of a deal!
Old 02-07-07, 01:34 PM

Guess it is also hit and miss for participation. The FYE/Strawberries at Downtown Crossing in Boston is not doing the trade in deal. IIRC, the suburban stores like Natick are.
Old 02-07-07, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by hobbes4444
Guess it is also hit and miss for participation. The FYE/Strawberries at Downtown Crossing in Boston is not doing the trade in deal. IIRC, the suburban stores like Natick are.
I just got back from my local store, and it took forever because nobody knew how to ring it. But the reason I quoted your post is because the girl at the counter said that the trade in 2 get 1 free promotion had ended, but they just started it again. So maybe the employees at the store by you didn't know it had begun again. The only reason I was sure that it was going on was because there was a small sign saying so near the DVDs.

So, I traded in:

Blade
Blade 2
Detroit Rock City
Donnie Darko
Frailty
Get Shorty
The Ice Storm
Igby Goes Down
Joy Ride
The Karate Kid
Laurel Canyon
Office Space
Three Kings
xXx

For:

Good Night, and Good Luck
Memento - Lmtd. Edition
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - SE
Network - SE
Bullitt - SE
All the President's Men - SE
The Frighteners - Director's Cut
Old 02-07-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eskowitz
Any idea if they will accept those $0.64 dvds from ddd? The titles were The Volunteers, Gotti, Everybody Loves Raymond Season Finale and Ricochet.

coconuts would only take gotti from me out of those dvds. the others trade in value was too low.
Old 02-07-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hobbes4444

that store is usually exempt from many promos because they get so much used and sell so much, a great deal of it stolen.

it's a bit logistical because they already do high volume of used, and the idea of this was to promote it for awareness purposes.

did they really change that one to FYE?

ugh.... that is the one they should have kept strawberries.
Old 02-08-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
I took four discs to the location in the Tri-County Mall here in Cincinnati. They would not take one of them because it had some writing in permanent marker on the disc (it was a Blockbuster PPV that my wife purchased), but they did take the Everybody Loves Raymond finale (which was worth 25 cents). Used selection was not great, but I did find a sealed copy of the T2: Extreme Edition to replace the one that was stolen from me last month.

I wasn't particularly interested in trading in the remaining single disc (original release of The Big Lebowski), but the cashier had to manually locate it in the system, and rang it up as the SE, which was worth $4.00 in credit. I then grabbed the SE and had her price match Best Buy's $4.99 on it, so I traded up to the SE for a buck.

Bezerker's tip near the top of the thread (about them using the secondspin.com trade-in values) is spot on. All four discs rang up at the values listed on the site.
Old 02-08-07, 10:05 AM

Will they take multiples of the same disk? (Like if I had two copies of the season finale of Everybody Loves Raymond)
Old 02-08-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by db27
that store is usually exempt from many promos because they get so much used and sell so much, a great deal of it stolen.

it's a bit logistical because they already do high volume of used, and the idea of this was to promote it for awareness purposes.

did they really change that one to FYE?

ugh.... that is the one they should have kept strawberries.
the marquee is still strawberries, but the receipts print out as FYE, and they participate in most, but not all, of the FYE deals noted here.
Old 02-08-07, 09:46 PM

I called a few local FYE and the general consensus was that the manager has ALOT of leyway as to what he will or will NOT take so YMMV from store to store and even from manager to manager at the same store...
Old 02-09-07, 01:31 PM

Does anyone have a link or a flyer to show the start and end dates of this promotion? I called both my local FYE and Wherehouse and neither have tis promotion or have even heard about it. I then called my local Sam Goody, they said it doesn't start til the 22nd and ends sometime in March.
Old 02-09-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I traded in 4 titles yesterday and picked up:

Final Fantasy Advent Children
Tourgasm

To answer my own question about condition, I was not really happy with what I got. The first disc of Final Fantasy was all scratched up and even though it might play I will be claiming otherwise and hopefully getting a different title. The Tourgasm one was in better shape, but nowhere near what I would normally want, however I will probably keep it and trade it some other point. Overall, not too happy with what I got.

I will try another store and see if I can find some stuff that is sealed to get (hopefully)better results.

I might trade in some CDs of less desirable titles to use for LaLa.
Old 02-09-07, 06:17 PM

The 2-floor location in Warwick RI is not participating in the promotion it seems, at any rate, no one knew what I was talking about.

But, I found a Superman Ultimate tin used for $45.99 (discs all flawless, tin in very good shape), so the trip was not a waste.
Old 02-09-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back from a visit to a different store with much better results.

Traded in 4 DVDs and got:

Good Night And Good Luck
The OH in OHio

Both in pretty much pristine condition.

I also brought 20 CDs with me to trade. The only accepted 8 of them as the other 12 had too little trade-in value. Basically if you want to trade in CDs look on secondspin and make sure it has a value of at least $1 and you should be OK.

This was their first time with the deal so it took a very long time (at least 30 minutes) for them to figure it out. Having worked in customer service before I was patient and I was rewarded for being so understanding with them giving me about 10 promo CDs for free, so that was cool.

Also, unlike the first store, they did charge me tax on what I got.
Old 02-09-07, 08:47 PM

it's over! at least at my store. ended last night. I pointed out that there was one sign (obviously left by mistake) that said it was still on so the manager said he would honor it because of that (and then he went to remove the last sign) But it's dead...
Old 02-10-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This deal is also good at wherehouse music.

I just used it today, and saw the signs in the store.
Old 02-10-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The deal was still running at the FYE near me, although they don't seem to like be bothered with it. The guy there would not make the trade because of some barely visible cosmetic scratches. He looked at the disc for 30 seconds until he seemed to find what he was looking for....
Old 02-10-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to trade in the scratched-up Final Fantasy disc I had picked out on Thursday with a pristine copy of Transamerica. The dude was confused so he actually gave me about $4 in cash as well (the Final Fantasy disc was $15, the Transamerica one was $11).

I also traded in some crap CDs (think Yanni, Michael Bolton, Celine Dion) for some nice trade bait on LaLa.

This store, again, did not charge me any sales tax.
Old 02-10-07, 03:06 PM

The deal was still going on here in an orlando store however the guys were pretty strict about it. Mainly I wanted to get 2 $5.99 dvds instead of 1 $14.99 and that was a no-go. They all said one title only. Okay, so I spend 30 minutes and finally find a couple things I want. They were $15.99 titles and I figured I could just pay the extra dollar difference. That was a no too.

I ended up trading fullscreen dodgeball and fullscreen devils rejects for Crank Yankers Season 1. Not something I was particularly looking for, but I just bought the widescreen unrated versions of the above dvds and I figured this would be my only chance to get more than 2 bucks out of the rated ones.

By the way. I also brought in fullscreen of spidey 1 and 2, and appearently spiderman had "a small scratch." It looked mint to me... but whatever, I wasn't about to cause a scene over "Small Soldiers."
Old 02-10-07, 04:18 PM

Still going on in Atlanta.

I traded two $0.99 DVDs from the Movie Gallery sale a couple of months ago for the Ghostbusters I & II double pack.
Old 02-10-07, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by davethomasowns
The deal was still going on here in an orlando store however the guys were pretty strict about it. Mainly I wanted to get 2 $5.99 dvds instead of 1 $14.99 and that was a no-go. They all said one title only. Okay, so I spend 30 minutes and finally find a couple things I want. They were $15.99 titles and I figured I could just pay the extra dollar difference. That was a no too.
Deal is still going here (upstate NY) although your experience is disheartening. I didn't see anything of interest in this FYE's used selection save for a couple of $8.99 Blue Underground titles. I was hoping to get them to "finesse" the promotion a bit and pay the extra towards those two, but it sounds like I may be wasting my time.
Old 02-11-07, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was able to get them to let me pay the extra on the $15.99 DVDs. They just entered the trade-in value of the ones I traded in as $7.50 each.

I had to pay the tax on them, but it was still worth it.

I was able to pick up The Who: The Kids are Alright SE and Midnight Cowboy SE for Wall Street, March of the Penguins, the old version of Goodfellas and Vanilla Sky.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.