Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

B&N: Cinema Paradiso - 3-Disc LE - $9.99 (75% Off)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B&N: Cinema Paradiso - 3-Disc LE - $9.99 (75% Off)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Lucky me got 2 out of 3 floaters. What are my options? Can I exchange in store? Nice looking set though.
Old 02-08-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Premise
Well, Lucky me got 2 out of 3 floaters. What are my options? Can I exchange in store? Nice looking set though.
Well, are the disc in good condition. If so just keep it. Just cause something is a floater does not mean it is damaged.
Old 02-08-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, I just opened mine and saw that I have a floater too. The first disc. There are several light scratches on it that are just bugging me. I'm running through the disc and extras with fast forward and chapter advance to see if any problems spring up. If not, I'll just keep the scratched disc. Damn these f-ing floaters.
Old 02-08-07, 01:28 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
you can exchange in store. I've done it in the past from online stuff.
Old 02-08-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by g
you can exchange in store. I've done it in the past from online stuff.
I might do this. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-08-07, 08:53 AM

My disc 1 was a floater and scratched up quite a bit. They were all light scratches though and I watched the entire first disc yesterday with no problems so I'm just gonna let it go. Great deal on a great set!
Old 02-08-07, 12:21 PM

I was expecting the worst with my Frasier set, but it arrived in perfect condition. Thanks again.

Last edited by ScottsDvds; 02-08-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Damn, I just opened mine and saw that I have a floater too. The first disc. There are several light scratches on it that are just bugging me. I'm running through the disc and extras with fast forward and chapter advance to see if any problems spring up. If not, I'll just keep the scratched disc. Damn these f-ing floaters.
FFing in my experience often isn't going to show anything but the most extreme of problems...
Old 02-08-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
FFing in my experience often isn't going to show anything but the most extreme of problems...
Well in that case I guess my only safe bet is to exchange in-store.
Old 02-08-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tried to exchange my scratched floater set in store. Opened it up, and it was worse than mine, so I just kept the original. I guess I'll ship it back for an exchange.
Old 02-08-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well in that case I guess my only safe bet is to exchange in-store.
Well, watching is what I mean.
But of course that is an enormous pain if you find there IS a problem...though I only ever seem to have problems when the disc looks 100% ok.

So watching is, in my experience, the only answer one way or the other unfortunately
Old 02-08-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, watching is what I mean.
But of course that is an enormous pain if you find there IS a problem...though I only ever seem to have problems when the disc looks 100% ok.

So watching is, in my experience, the only answer one way or the other unfortunately
Well I just saw this a few months ago, watching it all the way through is probably out of the question. Thanks though.
Old 02-08-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I just saw this a few months ago, watching it all the way through is probably out of the question. Thanks though.
Ah, yes, I know what you mean then. Sometimes what I do in that case is let it play behind me while doing other things (or reading).
usually an error will stick out.
Old 02-08-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've found that just putting the DVD on fast forward works fine, or even just doing chapter skips. I'm sure it doesn't catch everything, but that's always worked for me.
Old 02-09-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine today. Didn't hear any floaters, but I didn't open it yet... What a nice set!
Old 02-09-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I got mine today. Didn't hear any floaters, but I didn't open it yet... What a nice set!
I didn't hear any floaters at first either. When I opened it though, sure enough, the first disc was a floater. I think I was deceived by the inside of the keepcase and the other two discs.
Old 02-09-07, 02:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
No floaters in mine. I guess I got lucky.

But, I am a little confused about something.

I already had this version:

Does it have the same exact versions as the box set? I ask because the names of the versions don't match up exactly.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rich-y
No floaters in mine. I guess I got lucky.

But, I am a little confused about something.

I already had this version:

Does it have the same exact versions as the box set? I ask because the names of the versions don't match up exactly.

Thanks!
The films themselves are the same, but extras are added--commentaries, documentaries, this *particular* edition adds the soundtrack of course.
And appears it might be OOP now...!
Anyway, there are only the 2 major editions, which are the theatrical and the director's cut. There was an intermediate release (the *original* Italian theatrical) but I don't believe it has been released other than that first time.

As far as transfers and so on, that much I really don't know one way or the other.
Old 02-09-07, 10:34 AM

just when i decide to get in on this it goes OOS hopefully they get one more batch.

odd thing, if you search their site it brings you to one priced at 2x.99, where the original link in this thread goes to one that is oos. weird...

update: now its 19.98. still a fair price, but now too much, for me, for a blind buy. i'm too backed up as it is

Last edited by vballboy51; 02-09-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by vballboy51
just when i decide to get in on this it goes OOS hopefully they get one more batch.

odd thing, if you search their site it brings you to one priced at 2x.99, where the original link in this thread goes to one that is oos. weird...

update: now its 19.98. still a fair price, but now too much, for me, for a blind buy. i'm too backed up as it is

The other is probably the 2-Disc set, which has both versions of the movie, but no soundtrack or other extras that come in the LE set.
Old 02-09-07, 03:09 PM

The films themselves are the same, but extras are added--commentaries, documentaries, this *particular* edition adds the soundtrack of course.
And appears it might be OOP now...!
Anyway, there are only the 2 major editions, which are the theatrical and the director's cut. There was an intermediate release (the *original* Italian theatrical) but I don't believe it has been released other than that first time.

As far as transfers and so on, that much I really don't know one way or the other.
Thanks for the info!

I decided to also keep the old one pictured above.

It fits quite nicely in the box with the 3-disc LE Set. Luckily the LE box set is just that: a box. This allowed me to put the other DVD (and case) inside the LE set.
Old 02-09-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info!

I decided to also keep the old one pictured above.

It fits quite nicely in the box with the 3-disc LE Set. Luckily the LE box set is just that: a box. This allowed me to put the other DVD (and case) inside the LE set.
Personally, I don't think there is any reason to keep your previous release if you have a means of selling it/giving it as a gift. At best, everything on that disc including the audio/video transfer are identical to this LE minus the extras (both cuts, video transfer, audio tracks).
Old 02-09-07, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
Personally, I don't think there is any reason to keep your previous release if you have a means of selling it/giving it as a gift. At best, everything on that disc including the audio/video transfer are identical to this LE minus the extras (both cuts, video transfer, audio tracks).
I plan to keep it so that -- one day in the future -- when I will introduce someone to this movie for the first time and they completely fall in love with it (like I did), I can present them with their own copy as a gift.

I purchased the old copy for only $9.99, so what better way to celebrate a movie like this than to share it with someone who's never heard of it?
Old 02-09-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I plan to keep it so that -- one day in the future -- when I will introduce someone to this movie for the first time and they completely fall in love with it (like I did), I can present them with their own copy as a gift.

I purchased the old copy for only $9.99, so what better way to celebrate a movie like this than to share it with someone who's never heard of it?
an excellent idea, I'm with you there at least
Old 02-14-07, 04:12 PM

Its Back!! Just Order And It Is $9.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.