Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B&N AFTER HOLIDAY SALE DVDs MORE THAN 50% OFF

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&N AFTER HOLIDAY SALE DVDs MORE THAN 50% OFF

FIRST TIME POSTER/RECENT LURKER HERE.

First, thanks for all the tips I have obtained from your forum!

Second, B&N has just further reduced -- some to 88% off their inital price -- the limited number of DVDs that are listed via their After Holiday Sale more than 50% off link:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...&cds2Pid=10457

Twister/Perfect Storm 2 pack -- $7.99

Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World -- $9.99
DVD & Books Exclusive Bundle

61*/Do You Believe in Miracles 2 pack -- $9.99

RahXephon 1 Collector's Box with Tee-Shirt -- $4.99

There are a couple of others, as well, but the above gives the flavor of the large discounts on some of the titles listed therein.

The above prices are the non-member discounts. Member and AAA discounts net further price reductions, and yes, you can use the 15% off discount coupons floating around to further reduce the price. As always, if your purchase is more than $25, you get free shipping.

Enjoy!

Last edited by VALUEMAN; 01-26-07 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know for SURE if that Master & Commander set includes the 2 disc DVD or the single disc? It sure LOOKS like the 2 disc CE...but no telling it seems...
Old 01-26-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the post and welcome!
Old 01-26-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Anyone know for SURE if that Master & Commander set includes the 2 disc DVD or the single disc? It sure LOOKS like the 2 disc CE...but no telling it seems...
According to the details on the product description for the DVD it says it is the 2 disc version.
Old 01-26-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've never heard about this bundle before...it seems to me to be the 2-disc version AND book! iam soooooooo in! but i don't have the money at the moment.
Old 01-26-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
According to the details on the product description for the DVD it says it is the 2 disc version.
whoops, cheers. I ended up asking the wrong question
I figured that one out for myself and meant to ask if there was any chance this was instore as well, but I'll just check with my local (and hope my manager doesn't kill me for giving B&N money )
Old 01-26-07, 05:41 PM

I am not sure it specifically says that it is the 2 Disc CE. However, the cover art is the same, and more importantly, as per the Amazon site, the date of release of the DVD is the same as that for the CE, so it appears that it is.

I believe you have never seen this before because the website specifically says that this is a B&N exclusive item.

I am just not sure if it is two books or one book that you get. Anyone familiar with the series that the movie is based upon?

By the way, thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by VALUEMAN; 01-26-07 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VALUEMAN
I am not sure it specifically says that it is the 2 Disc CE. However, the cover art is the same, and more importantly, as per the Amazon site, the date of release of the DVD is the same as that for the CE, so it appears that it is.

I believe you have never seen this before because the website specifically says that this is a B&N exclusive item.

I am just not sure if it is two books or one book that you get. Anyone familiar with the series that the movie is based upon?
As far as the series, there are something like 20 books. It looks like it probably includes Master & Commander and The Far Side of the World--which I BELIEVE were the two books condensed into the film, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure.

Now, I looked AGAIN and actually it doesn't SAY it's the 2 disc, unless I managed to find it in some obscure place and then lost it again.
It lists:
" Other Formats
* DVD - Wide Screen
* DVD - 2-Disc Collectors Edition
* DVD - Full Frame"

only details for *THIS EDITION* are:
Product Details
# UPC: 024543122722
# Source: 20TH CENTURY FOX

* Time: 2:19:00

# Sales Rank: 525

But surely, SURELY they wouldn't (originally) charge 49.95 for the original DVD and two lousy books...(not to imply the books are lousy, for any fans, just that they would not justify the cost)
Old 01-26-07, 05:53 PM

As far as the series, there are something like 20 books. It looks like it probably includes Master & Commander and The Far Side of the World--which I BELIEVE were the two books condensed into the film, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure.

Now, I looked AGAIN and actually it doesn't SAY it's the 2 disc, unless I managed to find it in some obscure place and then lost it again.
It lists:
" Other Formats
* DVD - Wide Screen
* DVD - 2-Disc Collectors Edition
* DVD - Full Frame"

only details for *THIS EDITION* are:
Product Details
# UPC: 024543122722
# Source: 20TH CENTURY FOX

* Time: 2:19:00

# Sales Rank: 525

But surely, SURELY they wouldn't (originally) charge 49.95 for the original DVD and two lousy books...(not to imply the books are lousy, for any fans, just that they would not justify the cost)

Right. It does not say 2 disc, but it leads one to believe that based on the information I listed above --- unless --- the other formats of the DVD came out on that same date. I just don't know.

I still think it is quite a bargain even if it is fullscreen -- my DVD collection nor playback system is anything to write home about right now --- but it does include the first TWO BOOKS of the series, as the narrative from B&N makes clear below.

So, a caveat emptor for those who only want the 2 Disc CE, but given the intial offering price of this bundle, and the clues I noted above, I think that it will be the 2 Disc CE.
Old 01-26-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VALUEMAN
Right. It does not say 2 disc, but it leads one to believe that based on the information I listed above --- unless --- the other formats of the DVD came out on that same date. I just don't know.
Oh you're right on what you posted, I just wanted to catch LASERMOVIES, in case he was ordering for the same reason--or anyone else for that matter, since apparently we can't tell for sure at all.

But you're right, it does look terribly promising. Let's hope
Old 01-26-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh you're right on what you posted, I just wanted to catch LASERMOVIES, in case he was ordering for the same reason--or anyone else for that matter, since apparently we can't tell for sure at all.

But you're right, it does look terribly promising. Let's hope
I already own the 2 disc version and had no plans of ordering. I guess I misread the description.
Old 01-26-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

thanks OP, picked up RahXephon 1 Collector's Box with Tee-Shirt -- $4.99
Extras S1 --$23.98

total $29.xx after AAA discount
Old 01-26-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You really should check out the other DVD links on this page -

Main After-Holiday Sale Page

Not all of the >50% off DVDs are listed in the OPs' link. For example, the Bring It on / Bring It on Again is on the comedy page @ $4.99 (81% off).

Well, after going thru all pages in Comedy, almost all of them are only 35% off or 0%. Only a few odd-balls exist. Here's the best that I found -

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood / Miss Congeniality (80% off - $7.99)
Joe Versus the Volcano / Tin Cup (73% off - $7.99)
My Favorite Year(60% - $7.99)
The Alarmist (75% - $6.99)
American Splendor (50% - $7.49)

Last edited by thejester; 01-26-07 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just placed my order:

Shame $4.99 (Ingmar Bergman)
Hour of the Wolf $4.99 (Ingmar Bergman)
Demetrius and the Gladiators $1.99
Total Recall $1.99
Master and Commander $9.99 (I'll risk it)
Molly & Lawless John $1.99 (extra free shipping filler)

Totals $27 after tax. I couldn't get 15% off AND free shipping to work. I was really excited to see the two Bergman films there for $5 each as I'm trying to watch more of his stuff. They're both a lot more at other sites.

And I mean from the picture it does look like the 2-disc Master and Commander with the books, so I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-26-07, 11:16 PM

As many have you noted before, B&N makes searching for anything on a global basis a real bitch.

For those who love anime, or otherwise, since B&N is usually much higher than most e-tailers, etc., you could try a search for real bargain basement DVDs that they have a real good markdown on.

What you should do is use the DVDPRICESEARCH engine and set it for less than $4.00 and only on B/N. As B/N is usually way more expensive, only a couple of titles will come up and from them you will be able to see which are probably drastically reduced -- hint: if the lowest price around = the B/N price, then that is one you definitely should investigate. When I did this, a number of anime titles came up, as did Total Recall.

In addition, you can expand the serach process higher by setting for example a price range of $4.00-$4.99 for only B/N. Of course, the higher you go, the more titles you will generally get, but the same hold true. If the lowest price = the B/N price, then it is probably drastically reduced.

However, when you get to much higher prices, then it is just a crapshoot. But the above is an easy way to sift through many titles -- the best deals are those that are drastically reduced, and generally those that are will be the lowest price amongst all e-tailers offering that disc.

Good luck!

I ordered my M/C and others yesterday, so I may have a jump on you.

I will report back when I get it what edition it is.
Old 01-26-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like thejester said, if you click around the other pages there's a lot of stuff marked way down.

Rumble in the Bronx/The Corruptor - $1.99

I didn't keep the links, but I remember seeing Little Nicky, The Bodyguard and some others 50% off. There's also another volume of Weird U.S. marked down to $1.99.
Old 01-26-07, 11:22 PM

As many have you noted before, B&N makes searching for anything on a global basis a real bitch.

For those who love anime, or otherwise, since B&N is usually much higher than most e-tailers, etc., you could try a search for real bargain basement DVDs that they have a real good markdown on.

What you should do is use the DVDPRICESEARCH engine and set it for less than $4.00 and only on B/N. As B/N is usually way more expensive, only a couple of titles will come up and from them you will be able to see which are probably drastically reduced -- hint: if the lowest price around = the B/N price, then that is one you definitely should investigate. When I did this, a number of anime titles came up, as did Total Recall.

In addition, you can expand the serach process higher by setting for example a price range of $4.00-$4.99 for only B/N. Of course, the higher you go, the more titles you will generally get, but the same hold true. If the lowest price = the B/N price, then it is probably drastically reduced.

However, when you get to much higher prices, then it is just a crapshoot. But the above is an easy way to sift through many titles -- the best deals are those that are drastically reduced, and generally those that are will be the lowest price amongst all e-tailers offering that disc.

Good luck!

I ordered my M/C and others yesterday, so I may have a jump on you.

I will report back when I get it what edition it is.
Old 01-27-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks OP.

Picked up 2 copies of M&C and 1 of each Bergman film for $26.96 shipped using the 15%off coupon and AAA 5% discount.
Old 01-27-07, 03:56 PM

The title "Shame" by Ingmar Berman was $4.99 before and then it became not available for order and now the price is $22.48. Hour of the Wolf is still $4.99
Old 01-27-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
The title "Shame" by Ingmar Berman was $4.99 before and then it became not available for order and now the price is $22.48. Hour of the Wolf is still $4.99
Looks like I got in just in time then, phew!
Old 01-27-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good thing I pulled the trigger last night too.
Old 01-27-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few more from the Documentary list -

The Real Cancun

Weird U.S., Vol. 2

Weird U.S., Vol. 3

American Experience: War Letters - Stories of Courage, Longing and Sacrifice

Looks like if you have the DVD in your cart already, it will retain the sale $ - at least if it goes in/out of stock? It did for me with "Shame".
Old 01-27-07, 06:04 PM

Is the version of Hour of the Wolf that is on sale the corrected version?
The site page lists both the correct and incorrect aspect ratios.
I have the original version of the Bergman box and I would like to replace that one title if it is the corrected version.

I am actually surprised more people do not remember the B&N Master and Commander exclusive set that they now have on clearance. It was a nice looking little set. The cheapest that I remember seeing it in the store was $29.99.

Last edited by starecase; 01-27-07 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
I am actually surprised more people do not remember the B&N Master and Commander exclusive set that they now have on clearance. It was a nice looking little set. The cheapest that I remember seeing in the store was $29.99.
Do you, then, know for sure it is the 2 disc CE?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.