Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best portable dvd players for cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best portable dvd players for cars?

Need some help, I need to get a portable dvd player for our car to keep the little one entertained on our upcoming trips. Am I better off getting one specifically for cars (to strap to a headrest) or a regular one and buying the car adaptor/holder (for $30 at bestbuy) to have it sit between the headrests?

Also what would be a good price (obviously the cheaper the better, but too cheap isn't always best) and is brand that important for something like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-21-07, 11:15 AM

I recently purchased the Toshiba SD 1850 for my girlfriend when we were going on a trip. I paid about $160 for it at Best Buy (it was $165, but I had a coupon). I haven't had much experience with it, but she absolutely loves it. I did get to take a look at it while she used it, and the screen was nice and sharp with deep blacks (I saw a Panasonic for the same price when I bought this one, and they had that one running in the store and it looked awful). The only problem I could see with the SD 1850 is the way the battery attaches (one small little clip which could break easily if you are not careful). The SD 1850 comes with both a home and car charger, but to use it in the car you would have to buy one of the extra cases that mount to a head rest.

On a side note, the player does accept SD, MMC, and XD memory cards as well, though I never messed with that feature.
Old 01-21-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Sony FX810 and the screen folds and swivels in a bunch of different ways which I have found makes it good for multiple applications. For exampl I fold it up flat and hold it like a book on crowded flights, while letting it sit open with the screen standing up when I am at a table or desk. You might consider it as I assume, you could position it a few different ways inside a vehicle.
Old 01-22-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i bought a pair of insignia 7" screens that strap to the head rests awhile back and like them. i think they are under $150 for the screens and the player now during best buy or CC sales (got mine at BB). they also have an AC adapter so you can plug them in outside the car.

i like them, but haven't had the chance to use them a whole lot so i took them out just to save some of the banging around in the car when people pile in my car to go to lunch at work.
Old 01-22-07, 06:35 PM

I know both Costco and Sam's Club have several models available. I plan on getting one myself - just haven't done so yet. I'm also leary of buying the no name brands. Sam's has a Toshiba that I believe is 8.5" for around $160.
Old 01-22-07, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm heading out in the next few days to pick one up. We have a Bestbuy, Circuit City, and Sam's all in the same shopping center, so I'll probably hit them all and see what's best. I want to get one before our trip this weekend. I almost got one when they were on sale cheap after Thanksgiving, but wasn't sure I wanted one. Probably won't get as good of deal on one now. Oh well, live and learn I guess.