DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Back! Google $10 off $10 for new users (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/488642-back-google-%2410-off-%2410-new-users.html)

Brent L 01-05-07 07:59 PM

Yeah, I couldn't find it either. That's pretty weird.

thejester 01-05-07 09:08 PM

Thanks OP. Using my same email addresses from last time, but with new virtual CC nos..

Picking up last round of Disney Treasures for $15.71 shipped. Ordered one from Buy.com until I "woke up" & realized that DVDEmpire & DVDPlanet were part of the sale also. :duh: Turns out DVDPlanet was cheapest on them & only $1 for shipping.

MadonnasManOne 01-05-07 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
No it cannot.

Thanks for the information. That sucks! I was hoping to use this with the current B1G1 free on DeepDiscountDVD.com to pick up the first two seasons of Bewitched (in Black and White).

Oh, well, I guess I'll just give in and place my DeepDiscountDVD.com order!

nycbrent 01-05-07 10:39 PM

Google has the URL screwed up for the link to DVDPlanet on their "Start Shopping Now" page (where you're directed after you enter your credit card information - the page with about 100 links to different participating stores).

I got the discount to work by just typing in their URL myself, though, so no worries. Slightly frustrating for a few minutes, though, as I got an error a couple times!

conscience 01-05-07 11:40 PM

Everytime I am on Buy.com and click the Google Checkout link I get the white page with "Processing" and then it goes either to the a Google page saying their is an error or just the basic IE error page.

Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong? I have cleared my cookies and started over about three times to no avail.

DarthScooby 01-05-07 11:42 PM

Thanks OP! I picked up:

1 Blackstar - The Complete Series $11.95
Shipping & Handling (Economy Shipping) : $1.00
Tax (NY) : $0.00
1 Google Checkout $10 Sign-up Bonus - Bonus may not appear on this store's web site or emails. -$10.00
Total: $2.95

thejester 01-06-07 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by conscience
Everytime I am on Buy.com and click the Google Checkout link I get the white page with "Processing" and then it goes either to the a Google page saying their is an error or just the basic IE error page.

Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong? I have cleared my cookies and started over about three times to no avail.

I was getting a similar error until I started using the link provided by the OP in the 1st post. I had been using the one from my email - didn't work. The Ops' link has yet to fail.

JoN8282 01-06-07 01:35 AM

i seriously wonder what the consequences for abusing this would be... with one time use credit card numbers and the open availability of e-mail address's it seems that this could theoretically be used an unlimited number of times. i've read the entire TOS at https://checkout.google.com/termsOfS...?type=Buyer#US and I don't see anything that could come back and bite you for this - i tried this for a few purchases during the last promotion, but really didn't feel good about doing any more. now this deal will last more then a month more... what does everyone think of this?

g 01-06-07 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by JoN8282
i seriously wonder what the consequences for abusing this would be... with one time use credit card numbers and the open availability of e-mail address's it seems that this could theoretically be used an unlimited number of times. i've read the entire TOS at https://checkout.google.com/termsOfS...?type=Buyer#US and I don't see anything that could come back and bite you for this - i tried this for a few purchases during the last promotion, but really didn't feel good about doing any more. now this deal will last more then a month more... what does everyone think of this?

Someone pointed out last time that in the google account rules that one time use credit cards are not allowed to open an account. They evidently haven't stopped it even though it is against their rules.

getjazzedman 01-06-07 03:31 AM

Where can I get me some of them one time use virtual credit cards?

MetalGator311 01-06-07 04:53 AM

DVD Planet has some very nice used prices, hope I'm not taking a huge risk on these. It sounds like they're thoroughly checked and it's a pretty trustworthy site.

KFelon 01-06-07 05:41 AM

PayPal offers a free virtual credit card

kenbenobi 01-06-07 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by KFelon
PayPal offers a free virtual credit card

I have tried using the Paypal one-time use with Google checkout on several locations (including yesterday). Every charge was declined. Once my order was cancelled because I didn't realize the charge was declined. Plenty of money in the account. I believe it is because google authorizes $1 first, then the full amount. The $1 auth was approved, but the 2nd auth was not...

alfonsosoriano 01-06-07 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MetalGator311
DVD Planet has some very nice used prices, hope I'm not taking a huge risk on these. It sounds like they're thoroughly checked and it's a pretty trustworthy site.

I ordered this one Alfred Hitchcock Early Years set used from them, it didn't come with two of the movies it should have, but they credited me $15 in return, so I got to keep the rest for an even BETTER deal. They're great.

Lecithin 01-06-07 09:32 AM

Discover will give you a one time use number that charges to your existing Discover card (used to prevent use of your real number for unauthorized purchases). Just go to your online account on their web site and get one.

NoirFan 01-06-07 12:23 PM

1 Heaven Can Wait (1943) Criterion Collection $19.47
Shipping & Handling (Economy Shipping) : $1.00
Tax (MA) : $0.00
1 Google Checkout $10 Sign-up Bonus - Bonus may not appear on this store's web site or emails. -$10.00
Total: $10.47

Thanks OP.

Geist 01-06-07 12:28 PM

It might be hard for DDD to offer GCO. The DVD vendors involved don't offer the same no minimum free shipping as DDD.

If you order a $10 movie from DVD Planet it will still cost you $4, but if it was DDD there would be threads filled with people posting about all the $0 movies they ordered.

thejester 01-06-07 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Discover will give you a one time use number that charges to your existing Discover card (used to prevent use of your real number for unauthorized purchases). Just go to your online account on their web site and get one.

From what I've seen, you have to be careful with that Discover one-time-use #. I have been using it exclusively with regards to GCO offers and in the pre-Christmas round, I used the $20/50 several times on the same account & same OTU #. And, they were not done on the same day. So, I don't know how the Discover one works, but it is just not a "ONE" time use? Maybe it is time sensitive?

Unno 01-06-07 12:55 PM

With Discover's virtual account numbers, it's not about how many time the number's used, but about how many places the number can be used. For instance, if I place an order at DDD and then place an order at DVDPlanet with the same account number, only the DDD order will go through. If I went back and ordered something else at DDD, however, the order would still go through.

GMan2819 01-06-07 01:00 PM

Discover is one retailer use and no time limit. I've used one with one retailer for over a year now.

NoirFan 01-06-07 01:15 PM

Is it one use for each participating vendor? Doesen't seem to work at CD Universe, and DVDEmpire doesen't even mention $10 off of 10 as part of it's Google checkout.

pcdoctor 01-06-07 01:44 PM

Willow $2.84 (shipping included)

thejester 01-06-07 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Is it one use for each participating vendor? Doesen't seem to work at CD Universe, and DVDEmpire doesen't even mention $10 off of 10 as part of it's Google checkout.

DVD Empire was part of the list yesterday. And, if you go to the site, after creating your Google account, you will still get the $10 off $10 offer. I just did 2 orders there a few minutes ago.

Mosskeeto 01-06-07 02:53 PM

Any merchant that takes GCO orders should accept the $10 off any order promotion. It may not show up until you log into your Google account at checkout. This offer is not like the $10 off a $30 order etc. which were vendor specific.
Also, DVDPlanet has $0.99 economy shipping for orders under $25 (free over $25). I don't remember all the specifics.
MBNA credit cards, which are the largest provider of co-branded cc, has a one time use feature that was called ShopSafe. They may have changed the name since they've merged with Bank of America. Check their site out if you have one of their cards and want single use numbers.

Unno 01-06-07 02:54 PM

I can not get it to work at DVDEmpire anymore, although I had no trouble getting it to work at DVDPlanet. Odd.

Update: I got it to work, but I had to use a different e-mail address.