DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Back! Google $10 off $10 for new users (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/488642-back-google-%2410-off-%2410-new-users.html)

Brent L 01-11-07 01:24 AM

Yeah, I'm shocked it's so low. Heck, I thought the $20 price point was a deal. :)

That said, are you sure you might want to jump on that deal?

Originally Posted by Peep
I was able to place an order at DVDEmpire just now.

We accept you, one of us! Gooble Gobble!

Jaymole 01-11-07 08:03 AM

Extras is only 6 episodes at 30 minutes each, so I personally don't consider it a deal at $30 retail, $21 online.

Still I might pick it up with the coupon.

Arpeggi 01-11-07 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
You can buy that at DVDPlanet for $11.97/shipped.

Yeah that's where I bought it. But I get charged tax since I live in California.

dadaluholla 01-11-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geist
Error
Purchase History > Error
Google Checkout
Help

Oops!
An error occurred while processing your request.

I'm also getting the same error this morning (through both Buy and DVDempire). I guess I'll just try back later. I still have my eye on a few items.

Peep 01-11-07 10:22 AM

Buy.com (and DVD Empire) worked for me last night. Maybe it's your browser. I've been using Netscape.

The Reaper 01-11-07 12:17 PM

I made a few Dvd Empire orders a few hours ago and it worked fine.

dadaluholla 01-11-07 12:51 PM

Just placed an order at DVDEmpire. I had to use my other credit card for it to work. It will not allow me to place another order with the previous card, even on a different Google account (although it did the other day).

WeaponX2099 01-11-07 12:57 PM

Check your email accounts for a email from Google Checkout.

Geist 01-11-07 12:57 PM

Yeah, they can't really limit per address for the people that live in apartment buildings, and they say you can use multiple email addresses. The only real way they can prevent it is to start blocking purchases from the same credit cards.

I'm not sure how many cards most people have, but I suspect it will cut down on orders dramatically for those that were going crazy, especially because there is still plenty of time left before it ends.

lordwow 01-11-07 01:03 PM

Someone over at CAG got this:

Hello,

It appears that you have created several accounts in order to take
advantage of our new promotion. However, creating multiple accounts is not
allowed under the terms of this promotion.

As a result, we have suspended your additional accounts and their
associated transactions. You may continue to make purchases with your
original Google Checkout account at this time.

The promotion terms were developed to ensure a positive user experience
for everyone. If your account use continues not to comply with these
terms, you may not be eligible to make purchases through Google Checkout
in the future.

Sincerely,

The Google Checkout Team
Guess that answers that.

dadaluholla 01-11-07 01:22 PM

Yeah I just got that Google email on the account that had the error come up. Thankfully all but one of my items has shipped already. Good catch, Google Checkout Team!

Peep 01-11-07 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
Guess that answers that.

No big surprise there (for me at least). I thought that the terms of the promotion were pretty clear.

If I remember correctly, a few people in other forums got this warning as part of the 2006 promotion. I wonder what Google is using to associate accounts? I was warning people not to use the same credit card in multiple places.

Also, how do they decide which email address to send this warning to if people use a different email address each time? And does this correspondance show up in your Google order history? Some of the email addresses that I've used are no longer active.

Peep 01-11-07 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Yeah I just got that Google email on the account that had the error come up. Thankfully all but one of my items has shipped already. Good catch, Google Checkout Team!

Were you using the same credit card for all of your accounts?

Lipid 01-11-07 01:28 PM

How many accounts did you guys make?

dadaluholla 01-11-07 01:31 PM

I placed 5 orders on one card, and 1 order on my other card. I had never used google checkout before, but I did already have 7 gmail accounts open prior to this.

odditie 01-11-07 01:33 PM

Glad they are stopping us, otherwise my money would be gone

The Reaper 01-11-07 01:45 PM

Maybe we just happen to have about 50 people in our households. :p

HockeyMan2000 01-11-07 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by odditie
Glad they are stopping us, otherwise my money would be gone

Yeah I hear you, I stopped ordering a couple of days ago. Looks like it's time to lie low until the next promo.

I'm curious to see if this email that's circulating is exclusive to people who tried ordering in the last 12 hours and received an error...

SniDa 01-11-07 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
I'm curious to see if this email that's circulating is exclusive to people who tried ordering in the last 12 hours and received an error...

I made an order while people were getting errors, and I didn't get the e-mail.

Peep 01-11-07 02:40 PM

Yeah I hear you, I stopped ordering a couple of days ago. Looks like it's time to lie low until the next promo.

I'm curious to see if the email is exclusive to people who made multiple orders on a single card.

Hey, HockyMan2000, is that crow that you're eating salty enough for you? :)

HockeyMan2000 01-11-07 02:52 PM

I'm curious to see if the email is exclusive to people who made multiple orders on a single card.

Yeah tastes good Peep, lol. Thanks to the folks I was debating with, my guilty conscience kicked in and I apparently stopped ordering just in time! ;)

Peep 01-11-07 03:57 PM

Yeah tastes good Peep, lol. Thanks to the folks I was debating with, my guilty conscience kicked in and I apparently stopped ordering just in time! ;)

You still might be safe if you use multiple credit card numbers. I'm hoping that more of the people who got that weird error will chime in. I'm going to go on vacation soon, so I was planning on tapering off myself.

Until I get back. :)

uncleRemus 01-11-07 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow

Hello,

It appears that you have created several accounts in order to take
advantage of our new promotion. However, creating multiple accounts is not
allowed under the terms of this promotion.

As a result, we have suspended your additional accounts and their
associated transactions. You may continue to make purchases with your
original Google Checkout account at this time.

The promotion terms were developed to ensure a positive user experience
for everyone. If your account use continues not to comply with these
terms, you may not be eligible to make purchases through Google Checkout
in the future.

Sincerely,

The Google Checkout Team

Guess that answers that.

I got this same E-mail. I put in three orders yesterday with three different E-mail addresses and one credit card...one order shipped already, the second is in progress and the last one is when I got the "Oops! An error occurred while processing your request" message and today the E-mail above.

Jackson_Browne 01-11-07 05:16 PM

I got the e-mail after I had made 6 or so accounts and orders using the same credit card. The e-mail was sent to a 7th account from which I tried to make another order and kept getting that "Oops, there's an error" thing whever I tried to make the order. As of now, all the orders I made are still pending, so we'll see what happens.

Peep 01-11-07 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
I got the e-mail after I had made 6 or so accounts and orders using the same credit card. The e-mail was sent to a 7th account from which I tried to make another order and kept getting that "Oops, there's an error" thing whever I tried to make the order. As of now, all the orders I made are still pending, so we'll see what happens.

When did you place your orders?