Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

The Last Unicorn SE, autographed by the author.

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 12-14-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter S. Beagle, author of The Last Unicorn is offering signed copies of the TLU SE dvd for $24.98. Ships Feb 5th.

http://www.conlanpress.com/Merchant2...t_Code=LU-DVD1
Old 12-14-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I almost posted about this myself....
Old 12-14-06, 05:12 PM

I sure hope the Audio/Video is ALOT better
than the current release. Its terrible.
I dumped my current copy.
Old 12-21-06, 12:22 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

From http://www.conlanpress.com/youcanhelp/ (you'll also find info here on how Beagle has been shafted and what you can do to help):

On February 6, 2007, Lionsgate Entertainment is releasing a special 25th Anniversary DVD of THE LAST UNICORN. This new edition is a huge improvement over the old one. It is digitally remastered so it looks great and has 5.1 audio, it is widescreen instead of fullscreen, it has much better packaging, and it comes with special features, including a video interview with Peter. Best of all, Lionsgate has agreed to let us sell copies of the DVD through Conlan Press, and more than half of each sale will go straight to Peter and his projects.
Old 12-21-06, 08:48 PM

Oh Dear God yes!

Its about time we got a widescreen TLU!!! My heart broke when they released the first version (in fact, its still sitting on my shelf unopened).

This really makes my Christmas! I had no idea this was coming stateside.

Now all we need is a widescreen Secret of N.I.M.H and all that is left is World Peace(tm)
Old 12-21-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 178 Likes on 152 Posts
Great Post. I went ahead and ordered a couple of signed copies as gifts for my sister and mother.
Old 12-21-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I really need to add this to my collection. I used to own it on VHS years ago, until my nieces decided to 'adopt' it...

Love the film... it will be great to see it restored the way it should be.
Old 12-23-06, 02:29 PM

I didn't know there was a SE coming out. Thanks.
Old 03-17-07, 02:32 PM

Just finished watching it, and noticed that it was edited

The scene were the prince is trying to write a poem to the princess, and he's walking up the spiral staircase, in the theatrical (and Laserdisc) release, he gives a frustrated "Damn!". In this dvd release, the film cuts that scene.

As a total lover of this film, I was kinda sad to see its been chopped.
Old 03-17-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this the second edit to the film then?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=34
Old 03-17-07, 04:06 PM

indeed.
Old 03-17-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The edit is thanks to Wal-Mart and its brilliant, closed-minded hypersensitive customers, for the record.
As it stands, the unedited version will never see the light of day.
Old 03-17-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 881 Likes on 640 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
The edit is thanks to Wal-Mart and its brilliant, closed-minded hypersensitive customers, for the record.
As it stands, the unedited version will never see the light of day.
What does Wal*Mart have to do with this release? Plus if you looked to see the movies that Wal*Mart now carries, you might be surprised.
Old 03-17-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What does Wal*Mart have to do with this release? Plus if you looked to see the movies that Wal*Mart now carries, you might be surprised.
I used to work there and am well aware of what they will carry--which is what makes things like this so unbelievably ridiculous.
(ie, no unedited CDs, but it'll carry, say, Goodfellas--so you can hear swearing and SEE violent acts, or Vice City--so you can 'be' the person swearing and committing violent acts...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Las...)#DVD_Releases

Yes, yes, Wiki is not a completely legit source, but this was the same story given by Connor Cochran (who runs Conlan Press, who manage Peter's works currently).
Customers complained that the film looked like a kid's movie but that it then contained 'damn,' 'hell,' and 'the tree scene' (if you've seen it, you know what I mean, though there's an amusing note to this in that they carry Evil Dead's far more infamous tree scene without issue).
As a result, Wal-Mart pressured them to edit the DVD. The tree scene was too difficult and expensive to remove, so they just removed the "language."

Here we are, from Connor:
"The parents weren't complaining to Lionsgate. They were complaining to Wal-Mart, who in turn went to Lionsgate and threatened to pull the title (resulting in the loss of hundreds of thousands of sales) if changes were not made. Retailers have a lot of power. "

"The first batch of DVDs released in 2004 were not edited. Then the parental protests hit Wal-Mart, and the Wal-Mart complained to Lionsgate, and the DVDs have been edited ever since.

-- Connor Cochran
Business Manager for Peter S. Beagle"

"The point of the censoring is simple. Without it, Lionsgate would lose hundreds of thousands of unit sales...because the mass retailers (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc.) would refuse to carry THE LAST UNICORN.

Can't reasonably expect them to do that.

Nor can can we reasonably expect them to manufacture a separate uncensored version as well. Too expensive to do both.

The DVD we sell is the new Lionsgate release, so I'm afraid that they are censored as well.

If we are ever in a position of authority, we'll do what we can about this. Right now we aren't there.

For what it is worth, Peter doesn't care. He doesn't see the censoring as a violation of his work. "

And that's all I can find for the moment.

Last edited by FangsFirst; 03-17-07 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-18-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 881 Likes on 640 Posts
I'd like to see the sources for the Wiki article because statements contradict what you posted "from Conner":

Wiki: The first U.S. DVD, released in April 2004, was made from poor-quality masters and the video and audio both suffer. That release was also pan-and-scan, and not the film's original widescreen ratio of 1.85:1. In addition, at least some copies were from a manufacturing run in which two instances where characters say "damn" have been muted.

Conner: The first batch of DVDs released in 2004 were not edited.

Here's another example:

Wiki: This was done to appease the store buyers at Wal-Mart and other mass distribution outlets

Conner: Then the parental protests hit Wal-Mart, and the Wal-Mart complained to Lionsgate

Anyhow, the bottom line is I'm fine with the edits since I bought my copy through Conlan Press and Peter was able to get money he was owed in the first place. I was happy to see the preorders through Conlan Press far exceeded their initial estimates.
Old 03-18-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tom - neither of your 'examples' are contradictory unless you deliberately read them in an unnaturally narrow fashion.

Wal-mart is well known for pressuring movie studios to produce 'censored' editions - typically it is the 'theatrical' or rated release when the title is published with simultaneous rated and unrated versions. This is different from the way they get special wal-mart-only censored editions of music albums because the 'rated' editions are carried by other vendors and are not unique to wal-mart. But don't be fooled into thinking that they exist independent of wal-mart's pressure, there influence is just a tad more subtle in the case of DVD censorship than it is for music albums.
Old 03-18-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These were pseudo-informal posts by Connor, thus he's probably using "wal-mart" as shorthand. Or possibly there was some generalization made by the wiki author.
Of course its sources are not cited...

Regardless, I knew the story from Connor, and was simply able to find the wiki article faster than I could re-find his comments. I was able to do so though, hence editing the post to include them.

As far as muted vs. uncensored...I think they mean muted as in "quietER" not "quiet."
A couple of people have testified to having unedited versions.

Somewhere out there are Connor's comments on the tree scene, and their decision to let it go for being too expensive to remove. I just briskly ran through to find the above ones.

But as said, contradiction only comes from very narrow reading of the comments.

They certainly agree on the basic truths.
Old 03-19-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this info should go in http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484427

though i would want to read a source other than wiki before i believed it
Old 03-19-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
this info should go in http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484427

though i would want to read a source other than wiki before i believed it
I gave another source...