Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Border's coupons and special orders

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Border's coupons and special orders

Ok, maybe I’m the only person that wasn’t clear on this and I’ll ultimately get thrashed for posting this, but here it goes… I was at my local Borders asking about a DVD. The Clerk said they didn’t have it, but they could order it. In a weak moment of frankness I said that then I wouldn’t be able to use my coupon. The Clerk replied that “Yes I could as long as the date was current when the item came in, and that should not be a problem because they put a new coupon up every week or so”. I asked “Are you sure? Because the coupon says it excludes ‘non stock special orders’”. The Clerk asked another older employee (maybe a manager) and that person said “‘non stock special orders’ were items that they had to look up in Books in Print, that regular items in the computer were covered by the coupon.”

Well, as some have mentioned, with Borders selling at list price, even with 30% off it could be hard to find a deal compared to online stores. But when you throw in special orders it becomes much easier! Especially with Music DVDs and CDs. And there are some books that I’ve been wanting that could now be GREAT deals, even compared with online shops! I ordered a DVD and a CD and when they come in I’ll see if they were right. If they were, I’ll order one of the books I been wanting. They are rather hard to find and I remember seeing a sign at Borders saying that if they don’t get your order in 10 days you get it free… I’d liked to put that to the test. But even without that, the 30% off special orders is a great deal!

Maybe everyone knew this, but I didn’t… so I hope this helps someone.
Old 12-04-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a book in that way. Reserving my coupon for the order. They made a notation that a coupon was presented. Seemed as if all would be fine, The book never came in. I reordered it 2 more times and then 4 books came in. When I went to the counter to pay for it, I was plesently surprised. The book was free, no tax nothing. Of course the coupon was not usable.

Hope this helps.

Randy
Old 12-04-06, 04:15 PM

I've ordered DVDs that weren't in stock and never had any trouble using a coupon. They've always come in within about 3 days, but they did mention that if it didn't come in 10 it would be free, and they also will hold onto it for you for 30 days. So in the event that a coupon is not available the day it arrives, you can hold out for one. Although the coupon at www.visitborders.com seems to always be available, 30% off $10+.
Old 12-04-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Randy810
I ordered a book in that way. Reserving my coupon for the order. They made a notation that a coupon was presented. Seemed as if all would be fine, The book never came in. I reordered it 2 more times and then 4 books came in. When I went to the counter to pay for it, I was plesently surprised. The book was free, no tax nothing. Of course the coupon was not usable.
I'm completely lost. How did you get the book for free? Why did 4 books come in?
Old 12-04-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK.
Here's how coupons and special orders work, AND how free books happen.

Coupons and SPOs:
"Non-stock" special orders are items that Borders does not normally stock, such as print on demand or out of print or books that must be ordered directly from a publisher. If it is not LISTED in our inventory system, there's little chance you can use a coupon. If it is a book we get next to zero discount on (many computer books are like this) then it is "NET" and we cannot honor coupons on them usually either.
So it does not have to be ordered from BIP to justify "non stock."
Some stores may not have very educated employees of course :P And they may think that's what it takes, but the above rules are the basics--it depends on the discount the publisher or distributor gives us.

As far as "free books"--we have what's called the "7 Day Promise"--if your item, IN STOCK AT A DISTRIBUTOR ONLY (we can tell this AS we're ordering) does not arrive in 7 days, it is free, up to a value of $50.
I can't recall offhand if this is all items or books only, but I believe it is all. The offer and the details are on the SPO forms that we hand off though.