Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) J&R's Black Friday Sale (Titles Ship 11/24)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) J&R's Black Friday Sale (Titles Ship 11/24)

Old 12-07-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the stupid earbuds today too but not my dvd "revenge of the sith ws" although it apparantly has shipped lol
Old 12-07-06, 09:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
Finally got tired of waiting & called yesterday (12/6). CSR informed me that they were "having a hard time getting supplies from their vendors" (this for items advertised as "in stock"...ordered the first day of their sale). Got a followup email today (they ignored my email a week ago) saying they have a "fill or kill" policy...basically, they try to obtain stock for 14 days & then cancel orders. I can understand a company mistakenly listing an item as being "in stock" and then discovering that it had been a clerical mistake...but 27 items??? I didn't buy a couple of on-sale items at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. on Black Friday because I had already ordered a week before form J & R. This is the worst recommendation for an online story that I can think of.

I'm in the same boat. I have yet to receive anything. I've checked my order status so many times online that I've memorized the order number! It has been listed as "processing" since day one.... and I also ordered the first day of the sale.

I wonder why Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, FYE, Fryes, Blockbuster,
etc, etc... are NOT "having a hard time getting supplies from their vendors"??
Old 12-08-06, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about we organize a caravan of customers who have never received their "in-stock, shipping Nov. 24" items, then go surround their headquarters & hold hostages until our DVDs are released?
Old 12-08-06, 03:58 PM

My copy of House Season One arrived a few days after Black Friday in a padded envelope. Fortunately it was undamaged.

Today, the $2.49 earbud headphones arrived in a toaster-sized box filled with soft airbag bagging. That was total overkill. The same sort of thing happened during last year's J&R sale.

They really need to upgrade their packaging robot to a newer model.

Bob
Old 12-08-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My complete 6 DVD order arrived today and they e-mailed me the shipping notice this morning. It was a local delivery- Queens, NY to Manhattan. Shipped in another padded bag and one disc was loose but in perfect condition. Their deal handling makes recommending them hard.
Old 12-08-06, 04:25 PM

I got my earbud 'phones earlier this week.

This morning I received two emails from J&R, one stating that my American Dreams Season 1 set had been cancelled, the other announcing shipment of my remaining four items. So I went to check my order status on their site (something I've done many times over the past few weeks like some of you), and noticed that the DVDs had indeed been shipped - but also that I had been charged $6.95 for Parcel Post shipping, even though I still have my original email receipt showing free shipping for the entire order.

Has anyone else had any titles cancelled and/or been assessed shipping charges after the fact?
Old 12-08-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snooples
I got my earbud 'phones earlier this week.

This morning I received two emails from J&R, one stating that my American Dreams Season 1 set had been cancelled, the other announcing shipment of my remaining four items. So I went to check my order status on their site (something I've done many times over the past few weeks like some of you), and noticed that the DVDs had indeed been shipped - but also that I had been charged $6.95 for Parcel Post shipping, even though I still have my original email receipt showing free shipping for the entire order.

Has anyone else had any titles cancelled and/or been assessed shipping charges after the fact?
This happened to me during their sale last year. I called a CSR and she refused to do anything without me faxing a copy of my receipt. I don't have a fax machine so I thought I would just forget it, but I sent off an email to customer service that simply said something like "refund x amount, I have been overcharged." They never responded, but my card was refunded.
Old 12-08-06, 05:26 PM

Thanks, starman9000. I just spoke with a very nice CSR who promised to refund the shipping charges, as well as reactivate my order for the cancelled item. So I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 12-08-06, 11:49 PM

Well, I got my form email today...

"fill or kill" policy...basically, they will try to obtain stock for 14 days & then cancel what ever they can't get."

Over 2 weeks since the order was placed and this is the first email I have gotten from them. Placed the order before Thankgsgiving but I'll be lucky to get anything before Christmas!!
Old 12-09-06, 12:22 AM

Yeah, they're full of crap. I ordered my discs w/ headphones on 11/16, and they shipped the headphones on 12/2 (16 days). I called them today asking why the last disc that was not in stock and supposedly holding up my order (Office S1) was listed in stock the past 2 days but my sets have not yet shipped. I've had a temp charge on my card for all three discs's since 12/2. CSR was very nice, but didn't know a darn thing. She kept claiming that the cd/dvd dept. on the floor of the store handled those sales and shipping and there wasn't a way to tell if the items truly were in stock (shades of buy.com here). She said something about re-submitting my order. I guess she was referring to that phantom 14 day policy- which by the way I could only find stated when an item was listed as out of stock and thus wasn't made clear to me at my time of purchase of my 3 in stock dvd's. She said she would try to contact them and get an answer and I should call back monday. Man, if someone could create a webstore where all the departments were connected and actually knew what was going on, it'd be a license to print money.

Last edited by i86time; 12-09-06 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-09-06, 06:43 AM

Too bad about all of this. J&R is a great store here in NY, but I guess they are much better at selling electronics and the like, than at selling DVD's. I tried to get on their site the day this deal was posted, and could hardly get anywhere it was so slow. Glad I skipped this sale.
Old 12-09-06, 07:58 AM
Banned

Yeah, it is kind of a shame that they have screwed up so badly. We have ordered from J&R for years (televisions, VCRs, CD recorders, blank media, CD's, you name it) and have been on their catalog mailing list for at least 2 decades. They have always been efficient until now, but it seems that they were totally unprepared to handle this sale. Glad to hear that some orders are being filled. Guess I'll go back & check my order status for the millionth time.
Old 12-12-06, 06:08 PM
Banned

Update: Just got shipping notice on about 3/5 of my order (still 12 items missing in action). Also today got a cancellation notice for Leave It To Beaver Season 2. Checked the website & it is listed as being "in stock". Called J&R to confirm that it actually is "in stock"...very arrogant CSR huffily said that he "could not confirm availability of any prerecorded items" but that if it is listed as "in stock, ships in 1-2 days", then he would 'assume' (cue haughty voice) that the item is in stock. I said Fine, then let me order it as the replacement item for my cancelled order...which is what the email recommended...they would offer an alternative or replacement with FREE SHIPPING (of course, the 'replacement' would be an item selling for the same price as the item ordered, which of course was on sale at the time). He was a little taken aback, stammered a little, asked for order number, and looked it up. Then he informed me that he couldn't give it to me for the sale price. I asked why the original order had been cancelled (no reason given in the email) and he replied (cue exasperated voice) "Because it wasn't available at that time!!!" I asked why, if that was the case, the item had been listed as being "in stock". He fell back on the "Sir, we cannot confirm in stock status of prerecorded items." Eventually, he was forced to admit that their website "in stock" listings were meaningless (cue slightly more humble voice...but not much). No apologies or anything given for any of this. I thanked him (why, I'll never know) and hung up.
The moral of this story is DO NOT BELIEVE J&R WHEN THEY CONFIRM DVD ORDERS OR AVAILABILITY STATUS OF DVDS. If you find it on sale at a comparable price elsewhere, better grab it...or you may be left with nothing (unless you want to pay $47.99 for an item that was "on sale" for $14.99). Keep in mind that this order was placed during the first hours of the sale.
This sordid affair is a truly sad comment on the lack of professionalism on J&R's part. This is my last order with them (and I still don't know if I'll get the other items...the shipping notice was for items that were supposed to ship 3 weeks ago). I'm fortunate in that none of these items were for Christmas gifts...I can give them to the recipients later in the year (the items that weren't for me personally). Some other people may not have been so lucky, or may have skipped buying the items elsewhere on Black Friday because they had already ordered from J&R.
Old 12-12-06, 06:45 PM

I can't believe how much of a joke this company is. They dropped the temp charge for my items, then submitted another temp charge 3 days later, but I still haven't received a shipping notice. I hope Leave it Beaver S2 isn't out of stock, I was told over a week ago that both S1 and S2 were in stock and they were just waiting for The Office to come in. How can they not have the foresight to retain those items for people that have already ordered them? Normally I would find it hard to believe that a company would take an order for something they claim is in stock, and yet it's not- but I've also been dealing w/ Buy.com for the past 3 weeks. Well, I filed a BBB complaint on buy.com and looks like J&R is getting one too.
Old 12-16-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief. I made 2 orders on the 21st. Title were supposed to ship on the 24th with UPS ground. I recieved shipping notices on the 2nd, but have not recieved anything yet. Today, the 16th, I recieved 2 more shipping notices saying they shipped USPS with no tracking #. So, unless this last notice is wrong, it is probably going to take well over a month to recieve my dvds.
Old 12-16-06, 03:48 PM
Banned

Rats! Came home today after making some enjoyable trades/sells at the flea market & found a USPS message saying they had tried to deliver but needed a signature. Now I have to wait until Monday to find out which items finally shipped from J&R. Along with the recent cancellation notice for Beaver Season 2, I received a shipping notification email saying that "the rest" of my order had been shipped. Unfortunately, there were still about 12 items missing according to the email listings. (Also got cancellation notice from FYE saying they couldn't obtain Indiana Jones although it listed as "in stock" on their Deal of the Day. Guess this kind of thing is getting contagious).
Old 12-16-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

holy crap my revenge of the sith dvd came today. christmas is a time for miracles!!!
Old 12-20-06, 05:54 PM

I received my full order today. They were kind enough to ship it priority rather than parcel, which was nice. Even though I didn't get it in time to ship some titles out as a gift, it did arrive by x-mas, which I consider a small miracle. I still don't understand why they choose to sell titles online using their salesfloor as a source rather than a warehouse, but at least they made good on their sales pricing. Now, if that buy.com would finally arrive.
Old 12-20-06, 08:00 PM
Banned

Glad some of you got your orders. They cancelled 12 items including Leave It To Beaver (both seasons), 1st seasons of Las Vegas, American Dreams, Monk, Northern Exposure...you get the picture. No rhyme of reason as to how orders got filled. I've complained enough in this thread about J&R...but (to repeat) I really am glad for those who got everything they ordered.
Old 12-20-06, 10:26 PM

I got my order today finally for 5 dvds. This really wasn't worth the time and effort to save a few bucks.
Old 12-21-06, 08:14 AM

Only got 3 out of my 4 DVDs. I received an email saying they were willing to allow me to substitute another DVD for the one that was no longer in stock. After called 2 different phone reps, they had no idea whatsoever about allowing a substitution and simply tells me that Google will credit me on the unshipped item. Being that it will drop me below $30 in my purchase, I hope they don't eliminate my $10 off $30 Google coupon since this is no fault of mine.
Old 12-21-06, 01:21 PM

I have had no problem in redordering the same canceled item back again, at sale price w/free shipping. In fact, I just did so a second time (for the same item). One of the agents told me to just keep calling back and reordering it until it shipped...

They've been very nice about it (although who knows if it ever will ship, I guess?).

N
Old 12-21-06, 05:56 PM

I didn't order the cheap dvds in the black friday sale but I did order with the GCO during that time. After 3 emails that they never bothered responding to and 2 phone calls, they finally shipped my order (order placed Nov. 23rd). Of course it won't be here in time for Christmas and it was part of my daughter's Christmas. Fortunately she's old enough to understand but I won't bother to order from them again. Really poor customer service and their 1-2 business day shipping should read 1-2 MONTH shipping. I was definitely not impressed with them.
Old 12-21-06, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatL
I have had no problem in redordering the same canceled item back again, at sale price w/free shipping. In fact, I just did so a second time (for the same item). One of the agents told me to just keep calling back and reordering it until it shipped...

They've been very nice about it (although who knows if it ever will ship, I guess?).

N
This is the problem I have with them. Evidently the customer's treatment depends upon the CSR, not company policy. I was told that they definitely COULD NOT reorder the canceled item at the same price. In fact, the CSR was really rude about the whole thing...arrogant, insulting, and impatient to get me off the phone, although I tried hard to be polite the entire time.
Old 12-21-06, 11:02 PM

You know what? Screw them. I placed my order on November 16 and it's been "processing" this entire time. I called 3 times during the past month and was told each time that they would check with the warehouse and see what the problem was and that they would make sure it shipped. The last time I told them to ship what they had so I could get it by Christmas, they said fine. That was a week and a half ago. I called this morning and cancelled the whole order. This is the absolute worst service I have ever gotten from an online company.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.