Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Heads up! $1.88 Wal-Mart DVD's, $2.99 Best Buy DVD's!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This information comes from VideoBusiness.com. I figured this could be an official thread to post titles that each store are offering at majorly reduced prices.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6390375.html

Studios slash prices for holiday promos
Wal-Mart expected to price discs at $1.88
By Susanne Ault 11/10/2006

NOV. 10 | With help from the studios, retailers are mounting deep discounts on catalog DVDs designed to kick-off holiday shopping before Black Friday and keep it going past Boxing Day.

“There are multiple deals—Black Friday, there’ll be some for Boxing Day [the day after Christmas] and then some for the whole quarter,” said Mason Goodfellow, Hastings Entertainment director of marketing.

Sources expect Wal-Mart to hit a new low with $1.88 pricing on major studio titles for a limited time, starting the day after Thanksgiving, also known as “Black Friday.” It’s unclear if the product is from one or more suppliers. Last year, Wal-Mart made waves with $3.44-priced Minority Report, among other studio titles.

Sources said that Best Buy, meanwhile, will be offering Sony Pictures Home Entertainment titles for $2.99. The chain had no comment. Sony didn’t respond by deadline.

Circuit City this month started offering $9.99 sale-priced Buena Vista Home Entertainment holiday titles tied to the theatrical bow of The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. With each purchase, shoppers scored a $7 free movie cash download card.

“It does seem to be moving earlier this year,” said Jeff Baker, Warner Home Video’s senior VP and general manager of theatrical catalog and domestic sales. “A number of retailers were putting out Christmas titles in October, prior to Halloween. I think there is a core group of consumers who buy early, and I think there is a desire to capture those sales.”

Baker added that Warner will repeat a strategy started last year of flowing title repricings to retailers for the day after Christmas. Retailers are expected to discount box sets by as much as 40%, to prices as low as $19.99 each, thanks to Warner repricings. Titles include The Essential Steve McQueen Collection, Lord of the Rings (from New Line Home Entertainment) and The Complete James Dean Collection.

One retailer is particularly fond of a flexible Buena Vista repricing program, valid through the end of the year, that gives retailers rebates on catalog titles, making it possible for retailers to discount more deeply and still make a profit. The retailer is taking in such titles as Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown under the program.

Smaller retailers are appreciative of extended catalog promotions because it helps them stay competitive against dominant mass merchants.

“There will be huge Black Friday sales and [stores using DVD] as loss leaders,” Newbury Comics buyer Ian Leshin said. “But what we’re going to be able to do is offer great pricing through the whole fourth quarter. People can come to us and see that we’re not just doing it one time.”

Warner was among the studios to get the ball rolling quickly with the Nov. 7 debut of the Triple Features Collection, which packs three films into a single Amaray case at $14.98 value pricing.

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 11-13-06 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Bring 'em on!
Old 11-13-06, 10:12 PM

great stuff, but this might have a little too much info for its own good. The unmentionable day really can't be talked about here. Just seems kinda on the border line to me. Still cool info.
Old 11-13-06, 10:18 PM

I bet it has something to do with the day after a certain holiday.
Old 11-13-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The BF ads listing these items have been available for at least a week, maybe longer. Just Google on "Black Friday"
Old 11-14-06, 12:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
There are some really great deals this year for BF. I need a shopping buddy in the L.A. area or I'm going to miss out. Anybody game?
Old 11-14-06, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to a couple of BF sites showing the $1.88 DVDs at Wal-Mart (The first 2 sites I saw after a Google search):

The Cat In The Hat (Mike Myers movie)
The Hulk
Wimbeldon

And some other movie, I couldn't see the title.
Old 11-14-06, 07:01 AM

The ad scan that I saw for Walmart shows a few titles at the discount priced, but then says there are 75 included on the sale, but no mention of those titles. Looks like I'll have to fight the crowd around the bin just to see what's on sale.
Old 11-14-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Because of Wal-Mart's generosity, I was able to acquire Freddy Got Fingered last year for $3.44. I can't wait to see what they bestow upon me this year.
Old 11-14-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by snorlaxnut
I went to a couple of BF sites showing the $1.88 DVDs at Wal-Mart (The first 2 sites I saw after a Google search):

The Cat In The Hat (Mike Myers movie)
The Hulk
Wimbeldon

And some other movie, I couldn't see the title.
The 4th title is "CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK-DARK FURY" the animated film that bridged the "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick" theatrical releases.
Old 11-14-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so budget priced universal titles...
Old 11-14-06, 09:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
The ad scan that I saw for Walmart shows a few titles at the discount priced, but then says there are 75 included on the sale, but no mention of those titles. Looks like I'll have to fight the crowd around the bin just to see what's on sale.
Very nice...
Old 11-14-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It looks like nobody will have a list of all 75 cheap Walmart DVD titles for Black Friday? I know last year I passed on a lot of movies I wanted because Walmart only had the Fool Screen versions of many of them.
Old 11-15-06, 09:42 PM

I'll probably go, also fun to snag some really cheap presents for family.
Old 11-16-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I hope Walmart doesn't go with mainly fullscreen dvds this year. I was very disappointed last year. The year before was awesome. There's a few good triple feature dvds in widescreen with extras, but about half of them are bare bones and fullscreen, so I'd say check the backs for the specs. very carefully. I recommend the It's Alive Triple Feature and the Lethal Weapon Triple Feature....all Widescreen with some extras, and I think all the Lethal Weapons are the Director's Cuts.
Old 11-17-06, 07:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
So those great deals that I thought I got at family video on the Dean and McQueen sets aren't great after all.
Old 11-17-06, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anyway to find out what the list of 75 titles will be?
Old 11-17-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
So those great deals that I thought I got at family video on the Dean and McQueen sets aren't great after all.

You paid more than $19.95 each for them? They were $19.95 each at Costco and at my local BJs they are still at that price. Now it's just mainstream B&M stores following up I guess.