Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DDD 20% sale - ON NOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Time to find my list and get crack-a-lackin' as we say in da hood.
Old 11-08-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Time to find my list and get crack-a-lackin' as we say in da hood.
yeah really, i think i forgot half of the things that i had saved for this deal. haha, i'm sure i will remember later.
Old 11-08-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bothanspy
Oddly, I dont see this at DDD. Little help?
Sorry, I was referring to a deal from the November sale last year, just trying to make a point that there have been great deals to be found.

Originally Posted by sid369
Should I start filling my cart from now and once the sale start I just have to put one of the CODES mentiones in the first place and I am eligible for the 20% off.
Make a separate list and keep it handy. In past sales, people have reported items disappearing from their carts and wishlists.
Old 11-08-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like I said in the other thread, I'm limiting the damage this year. I've got a crapload of unwatched DVDs, so I'd feel guilty if I didn't watch some of those first. Plus, I've really begun to run out of room, which has made me question some of my previous purchases and/or buying habits. Don't get me wrong, I still love this sale, but it's time to show some restraint and still have a bank account.
Old 11-08-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to be safe I've made an exact wishlist over at DVD Aficionado. Ready to be marked as "on order" then "owned"!
Old 11-08-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think I'm getting much this year...the only ones I really want are Lady Vengeance, Green Mile, Da Vinci Code, and maybe Oldboy 3 disc.
Old 11-08-06, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
2 pages and the sale has not even started yet.
This is just the pre-game show.
Old 11-08-06, 07:10 PM

This is excellent, I had a big shopping list for this tuesday so I can save some money.
Old 11-08-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'll pick up the Kong EE with Statue, and the Forbidden Planet set for my father (X-Mas)

I .. must ... resist .. spending ... too .. much .... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 11-08-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Does DDD still offer Buffy the Chosen Collection? Cant seem to find it
Old 11-08-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Does DDD still offer Buffy the Chosen Collection? Cant seem to find it
Sorry, that was a Limited Edition set.
Old 11-08-06, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Sorry, that was a Limited Edition set.
They did rerelease it for a short time earlier this year but it seems to have disappeared again. Very strange.
Old 11-08-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Yeah i remember it being re released at DDD and Amazon. Shame only Amazon is still selling it.
Old 11-08-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a message I thought I'd share. This summer's 20% off sale was the first time I participated and spent some money on great prices and some money on Ok priced items. Like a poster on the 1st page mentioned, you can often get the 20% prices on items cheaper other times throughout the year. Yet something I've realized since graduating college this past year, and moving out of a town where I had an FYE, Wherehouse, BB, CC, Target, and 4 Walmarts to a town with 1 Walmart, 1 Target, and that's it, and getting a real job where I work M-F 8-5, I can't run to stores to get exclusives, or go to stores early in the morning to get great priced items, etc. For many, this sale gives the opportunity to get some darn good prices, some great prices, and figure out which ones aren't worth it. For many, its much easier to get good prices on a ton of stuff and get it at once. For some, it's easier to save for a while so you have it ready at one time.

After going through this sale during the summer, the one thing I learned is figuring out what's worth skipping and what isn't. Buying Undeclared at the 20% off price as a blind buy was great.... but perhaps some of the disney movies I purchased that were $11.xx were jus OK and I could have waited for a better deal. Just recently (this week, maybe?) Disney movies were $5 or $6 at BB I think. And you get points for rewardzone (even though it is watered down). So one thing to remember is figuring out what the best deals are that would be really really tough to beat for a while, and grabbing those if you're short on cash or just don't want to spend a lot.

I spent about $400 during the summer, and got some good deals, but I was just out of college waiting to start my new job and I didn't have the money and didn't get great prices on some items. Hope it helps someone.
Old 11-08-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by sid369
Hey Guys,its only been afew weeks since I joined this forum.
And from day 1 I have heard about the DDD 20% sale. As a newbie. I would like to get some advice from you guys. Should I start filling my cart from now and once the sale start I just have to put one of the CODES mentiones in the first place and I am eligible for the 20% off.

I am so exited, as I have so many titles that I need to buy. Also can I ship it to some other address than my billing address.
I also have not registered with DDD as I have not bought anything from them yet I was just waiting for this sale.

Any words of wisdom for the Ameture from the Pros out there.

Cheers!!!
Be prepared for the site to be s l o w during peak hours. Since I get up at 4am each morning, that's a pretty good time for me.

Set a budget and STICK TO IT. It's very easy to go crazy. Now if you have deep pockets... by all means go crazy

When people start posting their lists, you'll get ideas for movies you forgot about. Be ready to use several codes.

Read the FAQ. Embrace it. Live it.
Old 11-08-06, 07:45 PM

Can I use one card and use one of the codes and check out. and then after some time can I use another card and another code and check out again. What I mean can I break my order in two parts. I plan on using differnt cards, but I want to ship it to the same address. Also are the HD DVD also get a 20% discount.

Is is also a good idea to order at odd hours like after midnight or early in the morning.
Old 11-08-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have my wishlist already set up.
Old 11-08-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow
Also be prepared to wait an awfully long time if you decide to go with the free shipping option. I would at least do the $5 shipping option if you are in a rush.
It depends on where you live, how prepared they are for the orders, and probably a few other factors. I've had free shipping get to my house in just a few days.
Old 11-08-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GradVT06's right on about being selective. I think all of us get sort of caught up in the frenzy and just add, add, add to our carts if something's on our wishlist or sounds like something we may want. The bargain titles are a great example for me. I've found some great, inexpensive titles because of this sale, but at some point, you need to ask yourself if you really want it or not. For the bargain bin titles, is saving that buck really the only reason you're buying it?

I really limited what I got last sale to pricier titles and a few inexpensive ones that I had long been wanting. Worked out great for me. But to each their own. I'm sure we'll see people who buy one title and others who compromise their financial well-being to save a few bucks on a DVD.
Old 11-08-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
GradVT06's right on about being selective. I think all of us get sort of caught up in the frenzy and just add, add, add to our carts if something's on our wishlist or sounds like something we may want. The bargain titles are a great example for me. I've found some great, inexpensive titles because of this sale, but at some point, you need to ask yourself if you really want it or not. For the bargain bin titles, is saving that buck really the only reason you're buying it?

I really limited what I got last sale to pricier titles and a few inexpensive ones that I had long been wanting. Worked out great for me. But to each their own. I'm sure we'll see people who buy one title and others who compromise their financial well-being to save a few bucks on a DVD.
I use the 20% sale as pretty much a marker during the year. My general rule of thumb is I'll only buy a DVD if I can get it cheaper than 20% off DDD's current price (on sale at other places I mean). It is important to make a wishlist and stick to it. There's nothing worse than getting a whole slew of DVDs and realizing you really didn't save that much because you overspent. DVDAf is great to compare prices, I only buy stuff that's cheapest on DDD (or close to cheapest) during sale time to maximize savings.

Finally, while there's no guarantee... the Summer sale has a lot more time to save up, plus the holidays aren't right around the corner (and for gamers, the launchs aren't the next week).
Old 11-08-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smiles/banana.gif
Old 11-08-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My first one was last November and, between splurging on myself and getting Xmas gifts, I ran up almost a grand on my credit card. Last summer and this fall I'm using it mainly to pick up box sets that I've been waiting to get. As far as I'm concerned, this year's pick-to-click (the match for last year's "Buffy" set, at least in terms of quantity and value) is that MASH set-- if the price they've got on it holds, the 20% off will knock it down to $111, or roughly $10 per season. Very nice!
Old 11-08-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many of those who paid for previous sales with credit cards are still making payments for it?
Old 11-08-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Between sales, I add stuff that I don't "need" right away to my wish list at DDD (plus I have some left over from the last sale). Right now, my wish list is at a bit over $4000 (and that's before I see all the good ideas that will show up on here), so I have some serious pruning to do
Old 11-08-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I save most of my purchases for this sale (since most of the stuff I want never goes on sale otherwise) and I don't intend on getting any new systems until next year, so it's all good for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.