Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

What's the Best Price for the new James Bond Boxsets?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

What's the Best Price for the new James Bond Boxsets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Well if you're a B&N member it costs money to become one to get the 10% discount. The AAA discount doesn't require paying for anything to get it. If anyone is losing out it is the B&N members.
That seems to be the 'glass is half-empty' approach.

After all, both groups are getting it for the same discount. I don't see how the B&N member is harmed. He/she is getting the discount that they contracted for.

So how are they harmed?
Old 11-28-06, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh oh oh.

Okay, I get it now.

I was looking at the wrong price.

What can I say, I'm dumb.

Just checked out using the 25 percent off code and the AAA discount. Got volume 3 for 37.99 or something like that.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the heads up on this deal!
Old 11-28-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctyankee
That seems to be the 'glass is half-empty' approach.

After all, both groups are getting it for the same discount. I don't see how the B&N member is harmed. He/she is getting the discount that they contracted for.

So how are they harmed?
If I'm paying money for a membership to get better prices I would expect to pay less than non-members not paying for the same privilege. I didn't say B&N members were getting harmed but not getting what they paid for in comparison to AAA members.

I know the AAA promotion is temporary but I would still be pissed if I were a paying B&N member. Since I'm not I don't care because I was able to get the 10% AAA price on my order. Also I wouldn't pay B&N to become a member anyway since I do not make many purchases from them to justify it in the first place.
Old 11-28-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IG80Nate
Oh oh oh.

Okay, I get it now.

I was looking at the wrong price.

What can I say, I'm dumb.

Just checked out using the 25 percent off code and the AAA discount. Got volume 3 for 37.99 or something like that.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the heads up on this deal!
Sometimes the deals can get a little confusing when there are several discounts coming into play. I had to cancel my first order because the price dropped and the AAA discount doubled making the sets about $10 cheaper.
Old 11-28-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm paying money for a membership to get better prices I would expect to pay less than non-members not paying for the same privilege. I didn't say B&N members were getting harmed but not getting what they paid for in comparison to AAA members.
Do you solely pay for the 10% discount, or is it a points program that gives you rewards? If you are only paying for the discount, I think it is a terrible deal. You can get better prices elsewhere on the internet...
Old 11-28-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamestop's recent B2G1 free on used items coupled with the 10% off Advantage card yielded both Bond boxes and Battlestar Galactica 2.0 for just under $45 bucks. Got Rome recently from them for $44 - They have the sale fairly often...
Old 11-28-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Do you solely pay for the 10% discount, or is it a points program that gives you rewards? If you are only paying for the discount, I think it is a terrible deal. You can get better prices elsewhere on the internet...
I don't remember all the details of their membership but it's not worth it for me. Most of the time you can find better prices elsewhere. In fact I haven't purchased anything from Barnes and Noble in several years because I could always find it cheaper until now with this current coupon and AAA discount.
Old 11-28-06, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by laserdogg
Gamestop's recent B2G1 free on used items coupled with the 10% off Advantage card yielded both Bond boxes and Battlestar Galactica 2.0 for just under $45 bucks. Got Rome recently from them for $44 - They have the sale fairly often...
Man, who the heck bought both bond sets, then traded them in a week later. I can understand that with single movie new release stuff where they can watch it once and get rid of it, but 10 bond movies? Maybe they were stolen.
Old 11-28-06, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
Maybe they were stolen.
Bingo. I go to a store often where they have brand new (within 2 days) releases sealed used for sale. They told me they have a "special" customer who comes in with them usually on release day. But they said they cant prove they are stolen, and no one has ever come in and reported anything. All they can do is follow their protocol, i guess.
Old 11-28-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
No. They are getting EXACTLY what they paid for. If someone is bothered by someone getting a deal that in NO WAY impacts the deal that they got .... well that's on them. If someone's skirt is in a bunch because someone got a deal that 'they didn't deserve' ... that's on them.

Personally I'd rather see everyone save some money. Wouldn't you?
Old 11-28-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what an idiot, another case of stupid criminals....too bad they can't prove he has done anything
Old 11-29-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ctyankee
No. They are getting EXACTLY what they paid for. If someone is bothered by someone getting a deal that in NO WAY impacts the deal that they got .... well that's on them. If someone's skirt is in a bunch because someone got a deal that 'they didn't deserve' ... that's on them.

Personally I'd rather see everyone save some money. Wouldn't you?
When did I ever say I didn't want anyone to save money? If you believe the membership is such a good deal why don't you sign up. I would rather see someone get a better price without having to buy a membership.

It's just my opinion but if I were a B&N member I would expect to get a better discount than non-members, otherwise what's the point in joining. Seems you're money ahead without it.

Anyways I like having the freedom to shop for the best prices without feeling obligated in purchasing from a store because I'm a member.
Old 11-29-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I have a B&N membership and thus far it's been worth it. I don't use it often for DVDs, but with various books and some score CDs that aren't (or rarely) available at BB or CC make it worthwhile for me. Most of the time I'll pay around $13-14 for a original score CD when it was around $18.
Old 11-29-06, 01:13 AM

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but how exactly do we use the AAA 10% discount. It seem we have to go the www.aaa.com/barnesandnoble website but when I try doing that it says:

You are attempting to access a AAA member-only function.
Your AAA membership information was not found.

I managed to put it the code X9Y3G8Y to get the 25% discount but I can't get the AAA 10% discount. I would appreciate if someone could walk me through getting that discount.
I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Harry

Last edited by harryrasul; 11-29-06 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-29-06, 09:17 AM

could anyone help with the aaa discount and how to apply it.
Thanks
Old 11-29-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The Electronic Boutique by me had them for 25 bucks each used. If you have a member card you get another 10% off.
Old 11-29-06, 09:31 AM

I think the price on BNB has gone up since last mentioned, its not 53$, but 63$..any other sites with a cheaper price...
Old 11-29-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by harryrasul
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but how exactly do we use the AAA 10% discount. It seem we have to go the www.aaa.com/barnesandnoble website but when I try doing that it says:

You are attempting to access a AAA member-only function.
Your AAA membership information was not found.

I managed to put it the code X9Y3G8Y to get the 25% discount but I can't get the AAA 10% discount. I would appreciate if someone could walk me through getting that discount.
I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Harry
That's very strange. When I've followed that link, it takes me to the AAA Barnes & Noble page which says "Welcome AAA Member!" at the top. I think the first time, it directed me to the regular AAA page where I had to insert my zip code before it directed me to the B&N AAA page. Once there, it will show a 10% discount after you place an item in your cart and you go to checkout. On one of the following checkout pages, there is a place to enter the 25% code, as well as your AAA number (are you remembering to input this?) The 25% code you mentioned has now expired; there is a new code B3U6E4V according to the B&N thread.
Old 11-29-06, 12:49 PM

Well, I don't have a AAA membership...

I think there was something wrong with the zipcode I was putting in, I live in Atlanta, Ga and I was putting in the appropriate zip and it would give me some kind of error(cookie error) and when I refreshed the webpage it would take me to the log-in screen to put in my aaa membership no. and password

I just figured putting in another zip from a differnt city(NY for this matter) would work and it did.
Although the price has gone up with both the discounts (aaa 10% and BNN 25% discount) the price still came up to $43, as opposed to 37$ from what I have been reading on this post.
Either way it still seemed a good deal...I am now hoping that buy.com will slash the prices a little when the DVD set actually releases so I can use the 20$ off discount for the other set.( I just bought vol3 from BNN).
Old 11-29-06, 12:55 PM

Just preordered sets 3 and 4. $105.67 after AAA discount and the coupon. Not a bad price, and you can always cancel before shipping if a better deal comes up.
Old 11-29-06, 01:15 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by patrick888daf
Just preordered sets 3 and 4. $105.67 after AAA discount and the coupon. Not a bad price, and you can always cancel before shipping if a better deal comes up.
You must have purchased them in the same order. Did you realize you only got 25% off one of them? The other only got the AAA 10% off. You need to place orders on different accounts if you want 25% off on both.

If you have a Costco membership they'll beat your price starting 12/18. For a week they'll have $10 off each of the James Bond sets. That makes it about $90-92 + tax for those 2 sets. When the first 2 sets came out CC had them for $95 for the pair, so I'd expect that again.
Old 12-10-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

might as well bump this up since the other 2 volumes are coming tuesday. where is everyone buying them and who has the best deal?
Old 12-10-06, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

Does it annoy anyone else that these movies weren't packaged in volumes in a chronological order from when they were made....I dunno it really bothers me, to the point where I cant get myself to buy them, lol
Old 12-10-06, 10:41 PM

bestbuy.com has both if bought on the same order for $99.99. Does anyone know if there is a better deal ONLINE?
Old 12-10-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by morph06
Does it annoy anyone else that these movies weren't packaged in volumes in a chronological order from when they were made....I dunno it really bothers me, to the point where I cant get myself to buy them, lol
It annoys me also that the inserts are all separate and loose. Would be nice to have some sort of book but then again I don't really want 4 separate books. I figure they didn't release them in chronological order so that you couldn't just order old Bond or only new Bond and thereby entice people to buy them all. I mangaed to get 3&4 from Outpost.com for 99.98 with free shipping before they raised the price. I could never get them that cheap where I live. I despise going to stores in December anyway. Got 1&2 during the DDD 20% off sale. I think I did pretty good to get them all for well under $200.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.