Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Tower Records Going Out of Business Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by g
A liquidator already paid the creditors a certain amount for the stores. They are trying to maximize their investment by getting as much for the inventory as possible. The liquidator bid a mere 500,000 more than FYE bid. An FYE bid would have kept some stores open.

Ok, fair enough.
Old 10-17-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jippy
Sad but true. I've become such a bargain hunter since I buy so much music and movies, that I hardly even wander into places like FYE. Had Tower followed FYE's business model and made an attempt to move into malls, they might still have been around. Of course, I also realize that people with shopping habits like me are the main reason places like Tower DO go out of business. I always liked their selection, but with so many cheaper alternatives online, I can't justify paying $18-20 a title when I can usually get it for $10-12 somewhere else.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Tower did try to get into some malls. I think the problem was that they were already in serious financial trouble and those types of mass expansion campaigns were not terribly practical at that point. But I remember back in the day when I used to work for them, there was discussion of setting up "satellite Towers" or "Tower Minis" for shopping malls, airports, etc. I guess it never got off the ground. I still say their best bet would have been to transition into a big web-based retailer in direct competition with Amazon and scale back all their B&M's (maybe just keeping a few of the more successful ones in key areas up and running). FYE and those guys won't be far behind if they don't radically change their business model. It simply isn't viable anymore.
Old 10-17-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lamarocket
FYE has the advantage of having mall stores where folks are more likely to impulse buy. Don't forget the teens!
Tower closest to me has the advantage of being open until midnight. So if it's 11:30, and I really need some pr0n, Tower's the spot.
Old 10-19-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Visited the store in Brea, CA at lunch and they are at 20% off for CDs/DVDs. That makes them almost competitive with BB or CC. Still plenty of selection. If it weren't for the signs everywhere, you wouldn't think the store was even closing. Mags are at 50%, so I grabbed a few issues. I'll hit that store again in a couple of weeks and see where they're at.
Old 10-19-06, 06:03 PM

I hit the Kahala Mall Tower on Tuesday. No rentals, 15% off CD's and DVD's. The only half-way decent deal was 30% off all the Halloween (that's the holiday, not the slasher franchise) DVD's. Still not better than standard online prices in most cases, but at least more in the ballpark. I'll go back when it hits 40% off everything in stock, or 50+ % off select titles.
Old 10-20-06, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by g
A liquidator already paid the creditors a certain amount for the stores. They are trying to maximize their investment by getting as much for the inventory as possible. The liquidator bid a mere 500,000 more than FYE bid. An FYE bid would have kept some stores open.
Any idea which liquidator will be picking up their stock?
Old 10-20-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbma
Any idea which liquidator will be picking up their stock?

Tower has been in the hands of a liquidator (Great American, IIRC) since October 6, when the bancruptcy court accepted their offer - and that's why they are currently liquidating the stock.
Old 10-20-06, 06:58 PM

So, still no good sales yet eh? Anyone asked about the price reduction schedule?
Old 10-25-06, 01:14 PM

What's the latest word on discounts of DVDs? Has anyone been lately?
Old 10-25-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went this past weekend and it was still 20% in 3 different ones. NE Philly, South St, Ave. of the Arts. Its still a ripoff. Everything is packed as normal. magazines were 40% off.
Old 10-25-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I just went to the one in Tarzana, CA. The store is starting to look bare as they pull stuff off the walls to put up "STORE CLOSING" signs everywhere. TONS of DVDs tho. Everything was still 20% off.

Wake me when they hit 50% off.
Old 10-25-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup. All the stores around me are at 20% off. Brea seemed a bit ahead in terms of the discount offering, so they may be up to 25% or 30%. I'll be swinging by there tomorrow night and will post an update.
Old 10-25-06, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Yup. All the stores around me are at 20% off. Brea seemed a bit ahead in terms of the discount offering, so they may be up to 25% or 30%. I'll be swinging by there tomorrow night and will post an update.
ah, another local OC dvdtalker announces themselves. Im keeping tabs on the competition! Its always good to have another dvdtalker around who knows my pain of the crappy targets in the area, the crappy best buy in fullerton, and the mediocre finds at gamestop (then again, maybe you are the one cleaning them out....)

Id appreciate knowing if its even worth the trip to the brea store.
Old 10-25-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Took a ride to the one in Massapequa here on Long Island after work. Pretty much the same story as everywhere else, 20% off.
Old 10-25-06, 10:12 PM
Cool New Member

20% off isn't so bad folks. I think it's reasonably enough to start grabbing specialty items that aren't availble elsewhere. I already made my first purchase on a music-type DVD that DDD doesn't stock. However, I might wait until 30% before start grabbing Criterions and box sets.
Old 10-25-06, 11:41 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Yeah... once this gets to be around 40% then i'll pay attention. My Tower had a slew of Criterions that I wanted but even at 30% they'd still be a little more than DDD's base price. No wonder Tower is going under. Same thing with Suncoast. Why pay $29.99 when you can get it elsewhere for $14.99?
Old 10-26-06, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

even specialty items are not worth it at 20% because everything can be had cheaper online. The one thing is that from the ones I went to, they have less people (traffic) than before they were going out of business.
Old 10-26-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
even specialty items are not worth it at 20% because everything can be had cheaper online.
This is precisely why these stores are going out of business.
Old 10-27-06, 03:32 AM

This is precisely why these stores are going out of business.
My thoughts exactly when I saw the BluRay "Underworld Evolution" for $38.95!!! I just laughed and left. Maybe when they get to 60% off it might be worth it.
Old 10-27-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smackattack
ah, another local OC dvdtalker announces themselves. Im keeping tabs on the competition! Its always good to have another dvdtalker around who knows my pain of the crappy targets in the area, the crappy best buy in fullerton, and the mediocre finds at gamestop (then again, maybe you are the one cleaning them out....)

Id appreciate knowing if its even worth the trip to the brea store.
Add a third local to the club.

I live in the IE but work in Brea. Would appreciate a head's up by either of you guys if you make another trip to Tower and discover better discounts.
Old 10-27-06, 09:45 AM

I went in yesturday again to check out if this weekend they were going to lower the sale down to 30%. No one knows when they are going to go lower on the sale, but that doesn't keep people from thinking that they are going to get a deal when things are 20% off. Many people are still buying things up like their getting a great deal.
Old 10-27-06, 12:05 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
CDs are now mostly 25% off. DVDs have stayed mostly 20%. I think this change happened on Thursday. Still no really good bargains unless you see a CD import that you want.
Old 10-27-06, 01:19 PM

Yeah but if imports are still marked at like $28.95 for one cd.....
Old 10-27-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't make it to Brea yet. Work has been too busy. I did stop by the Tustin Marketplace store (I live less than a mile from that one) and they're at 25% off for CD's and DVD's. Doing the math in my head, I can still cross the street and beat most of the prices at Best Buy. I think most people are getting wise to this as there is still tons of merchandise in the store. This isn't going to get interesting for at least two more weeks. I thought we'd be seeing the discounts increase by 10% each week, not 5. This is going to be a slow, painful death
Old 10-29-06, 01:45 PM

im still holding off for atleast 35%

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.