Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Tower Records Going Out of Business Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if there are any Tower stores that are still open after today.
Old 12-22-06, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by porieux
I wonder if there are any Tower stores that are still open after today.
As far as I understand it, today is it. East Coasters have about 1 hour I guess.
Old 12-22-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All closed in Southern Calif I believe now..People taking pictures and video of the Sunser Blvd.. historic store. Some small news media outfits too I think there..
We'll it had to happen....Next victim-Virgin? spoke with a lot of employees-many there over 10-15 years...sign of the times....Meanwhile Amoeba was packed...doing well it seems.
Old 12-22-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder who will take on the downtown Nashville store. Can't imagine anything in there other than a record store
Old 12-22-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLegend
Meanwhile Amoeba was packed...doing well it seems.
It was probably packed with people selling them the stuff they bought at Towers.
Old 12-22-06, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
i wonder who will take on the downtown Nashville store. Can't imagine anything in there other than a record store

it's been announced that the west end location in nashville has been bought by Trans World... aka TWEC... aka FYE... and that they're scheduled to open there in February or March 2007... apparently the manager from tower is already slated to be the manager of the new FYE there...

so, technically you're right... if you consider FYE to be a record store... (let's face it - the other nashville FYE location at rivergate mall charges list for most items and ABOVE list price for some other items!)
Old 12-22-06, 11:04 PM

Trans World Backs Out of Historic Tower Locations

Trans World Entertainment Corp., whose F.Y.E. entertainment retail stores were slated to open in February at Tower Records’ two original locations in Sacramento, Calif., has backed out of the deal.

The venerable Tower music retail chain in August filed bankruptcy for the second and final time.

Albany, N.Y.-based Trans World in October narrowly lost out to liquidator Great American Group’s winning $134.4 million bid for Tower’s assets.

Trans World was apparently uncomfortable with leases put forth by landlords at the Broadway and Watt Avenue sites, according to CFO John Sullivan.

“It just didn’t work out,” said Sullivan, who declined to elaborate further.

The Broadway store, located across the street from the old Tower Theatre building, closed its doors on Dec. 20; with the chain’s first stand alone location on Watt closing Dec. 21.

Another 15 Tower locations are slated to close their doors Friday.

Sullivan said the decision does not affect plans to open F.Y.E. stores at former Tower locations in Nashville, Tenn., Philadelphia and Torrance, Calif., which are scheduled to open in February.

Trans World operates three Suncoast video stores in Sacramento, in addition to one mall-based F.Y.E.

Trans World will discuss its holiday sales results in an investor call Jan. 3.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ind...2&newsid=10073
Old 12-23-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by filmsoncon
One major find though-- the terrific bowling doc "League of Ordinary Gentlemen", which I had bought (at 60% off) last week. Bought another copy to give as a Christmas gift.
I bought this last week for 70% off. Quite a steal, even for five bucks.
Old 12-23-06, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Alright I updated my post one final time with the list of stores that were confirmed closed in this thread. Although it is assumed that all stores are closed at this point, I created a separate list of stores that have been confirmed closed in this thread.

RIP Tower Records
Old 12-23-06, 05:49 PM

Thought that I would add my memories...

As an Australian who's travelled to the US on only a few occassions - its been on each and every occassion a trek to locate the Tower Record stores in the cities that I visited. My last trip in 2005 included trips to the Santa Monica, Glendale, Hollywood and Las Vegas stores.

I see that they have since closed.

I mainly went searching for CD Singles - stuff that we dont get here in Australia - or that the ebay postage charges to get sent here is ridiculously high.

Where do people go now to look for this type of stuff ?? With my next trip to the US in March 07 I'm going to 'struggle' to find ANY stores for dance music singles (I'll probably reduce my time even bothering looking)

Have we succumb to digital downloads - as noted in some previous posts. I'm of the generation who would browse / buy / collect - however the business model is changing to one of downloading inferior versions of individual songs - rather than purchasing complete albums. Whats next - bands / singers reduced to only 1 or 2 songs ??

If there is 'anyone' really to 'blame' for the demise of this - and other music businesses - its the record companies themselves. They have held the price of music - CDs - high for so long - that it is no wonder that this generation thinks downloading a song for $0.99c seems much better than a $15 CD. Granted also that DVDs at Tower were never on the cheapside - and its 'discounts' weren't anywhere near what can be achieved with online stores.

Sad to see Tower go.
Old 12-23-06, 06:16 PM

Yeah I will miss Tower too, even though most of their prices were atrocious there were usually good deals to be had if you looked around, and if you really were looking for something specific you were pretty likely to find it there.

I bought a -lot- of stuff on sale there during the past two months. Way too much to list out here
Old 12-26-06, 01:23 AM

Blah. Tower's not around for last-minute presents from their Christmas day sale.
Old 12-26-06, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyjg
Where do people go now to look for this type of stuff ?? With my next trip to the US in March 07 I'm going to 'struggle' to find ANY stores for dance music singles (I'll probably reduce my time even bothering looking)
Try Amoeba Music in L.A., adjacent to the ArcLight cinema. HUGE selection and cool scene. If you can't find what you're looking for here, you probably won't find it in a B&M anywhere.
Old 12-26-06, 08:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mnementh
Blah. Tower's not around for last-minute presents from their Christmas day sale.
Post Christmas? You have a strange way of defining "last-minute presents" plus AFAIK there WERE NO Tower Records open on Christmas Day so I don't know how a Christmas Day Sale would involve Tower Records.

I think you had too much egg nog.
Old 12-26-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
Yeah I will miss Tower too, even though most of their prices were atrocious there were usually good deals to be had if you looked around, and if you really were looking for something specific you were pretty likely to find it there.

I bought a -lot- of stuff on sale there during the past two months. Way too much to list out here
I agree. It's only Tower's fault for not having competitive prices. There sales werent even good.
Old 12-26-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Post Christmas? You have a strange way of defining "last-minute presents" plus AFAIK there WERE NO Tower Records open on Christmas Day so I don't know how a Christmas Day Sale would involve Tower Records.

I think they used to be open on Christmas Day and they would start a clearance sale. I guess they wont do that again.

Old 12-26-06, 07:26 PM

Tower Records around here had advertised sales on Thanksgiving and Christmas. They had neon signs that said they were open 365 days a year.
Old 12-26-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was kinda thinking about Tower right now...Witnessing the official closing of The Sunset Store and one of employees mentioning how many thousands of people had walked through those doors...many celebrities included. Here is even Alec Baldwin lamenting in this link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alec-b...r_b_33470.html
Old 12-26-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I agree. It's only Tower's fault for not having competitive prices. There sales werent even good.
What, $14.99 is not a good sale price?!??! [/sarcasm]
Old 12-27-06, 12:03 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLegend
Was kinda thinking about Tower right now...Witnessing the official closing of The Sunset Store and one of employees mentioning how many thousands of people had walked through those doors...many celebrities included. Here is even Alec Baldwin lamenting in this link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alec-b...r_b_33470.html
At Sunset Towers, I got my Freaks and Geeks Yearbook DVD set autographed by the cast and creators. Linda Cardellini
Old 12-27-06, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
At Sunset Towers, I got my Freaks and Geeks Yearbook DVD set autographed by the cast and creators. Linda Cardellini
I hate you. I hate you so much.

Old 12-27-06, 06:33 AM

The local Dallas store was open Christmas day.