Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Tower Records Going Out of Business Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what happens when you sell a product that it is near impossible to make a decent profit on anymore.
Old 10-08-06, 10:15 PM

I hate when they bring in the liquidators..
they wont make any deals and it takes them 6 weeks to go past 30%
although they will sell off all shelving etc.at a good price if you need that kinda
stuff.
Old 10-08-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now comes the 64-million-dvd question.... does anyone know if/when this will make its way to the Tower website?
Old 10-08-06, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by bwsmom
And now comes the 64-million-dvd question.... does anyone know if/when this will make its way to the Tower website?
I'm thinking that some other dotcom will pick up the tower.com domain name and run with it.

Didn't amazon buy cdnow?
Old 10-09-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty sad, as much as their prices sucked (sometimes) I still loved browsing that store. Oh well, at least we still have Amoeba.

The Tower(s) here on Sunset Blvd here in LA are kind of a staple of the area...will be weird to see them go. From the looks of it, they have major sale signs and 'everything must go', so maybe there are some good deals to be found.
Old 10-09-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I went to my local Tower and DVDs were only 10% off. Books and CDs were 20%. Nothing worthwhile....yet.
Old 10-09-06, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Yeah 10% off at Tower is like going to a store like Best Buy and asking them to punch you in the face after you buy a dvd. Which is why they're going out of business. This out of business sale seems to be starting 2 months before they're actually closing so I wonder if they'll bump it up to 15 or 20 percent by then. Anyways they still got a pretty good selection, and it seems going out of business seems to have helped me because two titles I have been trying to find in store for months and months (Kino's Dr Mabuse The Gambler and Scarlet Street) were actually on the shelf of the Tower I went to today. I'm guessing it's thanks to anothers store's inventory getting sent to them. I might pick up the Cassavetes 5 Films box set from another Tower, though at 10% off it's barely less than amazon's price, and then there's tax, so... I dunno. I might wait to see if the prices drop more.
Old 10-09-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, just like Media Play. You can't charge that much.
Old 10-09-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So let's see .... I take 10% off, add over 8% sales tax, and if we're starting from the MSRP .... you get the idea.
Old 10-10-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is going to be a long long thread...I can't blame Tower for starting at 10%...just by "having a closing sale" you bring in lots of traffic and many make impulse buys just by being in the store..even more at 10% then if you just had a 25% off sale promotion without the closing..
Old 10-10-06, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They just need to give us one final used dvd (online) sale.
Old 10-10-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the website still plans to be operating. They're just closing the stores.
Old 10-10-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad to see them go. They were pretty much my only outlet to get laserdiscs back in the early 90's before I went with Ken Crane's. Their pricing always sucked though, and that seems to be the killer nowadays with online purchasing available.
Old 10-10-06, 10:22 PM

FWIW -- Just as a side note, some of the TV boxsets are already 10% off to begin with, or so marked with the price tag -- so 10% is really more like 20% (actually 19%). Yeah - not really great either but better than 10%. So you may want to check to know which to grab when the price is right.

The regular movies were not -- just MSRP.
Old 10-12-06, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by forumsmy
FWIW -- Just as a side note, some of the TV boxsets are already 10% off to begin with, or so marked with the price tag -- so 10% is really more like 20% (actually 19%). Yeah - not really great either but better than 10%. So you may want to check to know which to grab when the price is right.

The regular movies were not -- just MSRP.
At the store I went to today, all the TV box sets were MSRP. Before the closing, they always had the MSRP sticker price on the back of the box, and the lower Tower price on the front. Well, somebody removed all the front stickers, so now its 10% off the MSRP, which I think makes their prices higher than before they were closing! lol Plus, when you figure the 8% CA sales tax I have to pay, this sale for me ends up only being 2% off. I'll have to check back in a few weeks when it reaches 30-40% off.
Old 10-12-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LA Times article about the closing of Tower records.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ck=1&cset=true
Old 10-12-06, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can we expect a weekly increase in percentage off? or is this 10% going to be around for a while. I wouldn't move on much unless it was 30% at least.
Old 10-12-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Stll no indication as to what will be happening with their large rental collection - and there are some genuine finds to be had there, including some OOP titles. Hope they decide what to do soon.
Old 10-12-06, 08:46 AM

Anyone tried calling stores and asking them?
Old 10-12-06, 08:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, Matome. I browsed for LDs at "Ken Cranes", once upon a day. But I did most of my laser disc shopping from "Discount Laser Disc", "Laser Craze" and "Sight & Sound". Hell, I have a pile of "Image Preview" magazines including the final issue when they switched to DVD. Part of my archive.
Old 10-12-06, 10:03 AM

Another LA Times article here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4532640.story

This portion really applies to this forum:

Some consumers, anticipating such a pricing blowout, were disappointed.
"The first sign I saw that something was wrong with this picture was the sign an employee was holding up in the parking lot of the Buena Park Tower, as I pulled in on Saturday afternoon," said Dave Schmerler, of Westminster. " 'Up to 30% off,' it proclaimed. Already, my hopes for half-off, and then some, were dashed. And that pesky 'up to' had me worried."
On learning that the initial discount for CDs and DVDs was 10%, Schmerler said, "I realized that, even with the 10% discount, I would be paying way more than Amoeba prices. I mean, the average disc price was an astronomical $17.98, so it was still over $16 — before sales tax — per CD! I put back seven and bought one….

I left thinking that Tower doesn't even know how to go out of business properly. No wonder they went out of business."
Old 10-12-06, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by nohoaudiovideo
"I left thinking that Tower doesn't even know how to go out of business properly. No wonder they went out of business."
haha.
Old 10-12-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
^I hate to say it, but I agree with that.

Went there yesterday and just ended up buying some used DVDs* instead of the measly 10% deal on other stuff.

*Got 2 Kinos, Zou Zou and Yakuza Graveyard ($1.99 each) and Standing in the Shadows of Motown ($3.99)
Old 10-12-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Yeah, Matome. I browsed for LDs at "Ken Cranes", once upon a day. But I did most of my laser disc shopping from "Discount Laser Disc", "Laser Craze" and "Sight & Sound". Hell, I have a pile of "Image Preview" magazines including the final issue when they switched to DVD. Part of my archive.
Unfortunately, being from NY, I never had the luxury of visting the Ken Crane's store. But I did order from those sites you mentioned as well (visited Laser Craze as well), though a good chunk of phone orders also went to another MA outfit called Laser Exchange. Ahh...the Image Preview magazines, got a bunch of those as well as years and years worth of those Doug Pratt Laserdisc Newsletter's. Those were good times. I miss them
Old 10-12-06, 12:38 PM

Dropped by the Pearlridge (Hawaii) location this week...way too much of a hassle to park near it (like most places around here), ironically parked at BB and walked to them.

Didn't see much more than the reg stuff you can find elsewhere. Did see one thing but ironically ended up getting from BB for $8 less.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.