DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lot's pre Monty Python DVD sets (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/477508-big-lots-pre-monty-python-dvd-sets.html)

Three 09-12-06 09:08 PM

Big Lot's pre Monty Python DVD sets

My local Big Lots just put out a shipment of the usual $4.99 selection - The Aviator, Slums of Beverly Hills, Constantine and a shelf full of Pilates. Mixed in were some pre Monty Python series 2 disk sets for $2.99.

At Last the 1948 Show - which teamed up Graham Chapman and John Cleese prior to Python. Also starring Marty Feldman, Aimi MacDonald and Tim Brooke-Taylor. The 2 disk set contains the 5 episodes of the 1967 series.

DO Not Adjust Your Set - which brings Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Jones together prior to Python. Also starring David Jason, Denise Coffey and Neil Innes (and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band). Plus amination by Terry Gilliam. The 2 disk set contains 9 episodes of the 1967 series.

YMMV as only one of the three Big Lot's close by had these displayed.

Joe Molotov 09-12-06 09:17 PM

Nice, I'll go check it out tomorrow.

kenbenobi 09-13-06 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Three
My local Big Lots just put out a shipment of the usual $4.99 selection - The Aviator, Slums of Beverly Hills, Constantine and a shelf full of Pilates. Mixed in were some pre Monty Python series 2 disk sets for $2.99.

At Last the 1948 Show - which teamed up Graham Chapman and John Cleese prior to Python. Also starring Marty Feldman, Aimi MacDonald and Tim Brooke-Taylor. The 2 disk set contains the 5 episodes of the 1967 series.

DO Not Adjust Your Set - which brings Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Jones together prior to Python. Also starring David Jason, Denise Coffey and Neil Innes (and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band). Plus amination by Terry Gilliam. The 2 disk set contains 9 episodes of the 1967 series.

YMMV as only one of the three Big Lot's close by had these displayed.

Holy cow! Great price! I've never seen them anywhere but Suncoast, and they are $30 there! I'll look for these tomorrow...

FangsFirst 09-13-06 12:21 AM

Wow...I'll have to find a big lots...!

Alan Smithee 09-13-06 06:12 PM

Didn't see those, but I got Clifford's Really Big Movie for $4.99, proving I'll buy almost anything! It's only 79 minutes long though so it can't be a really big movie, I think I'll sue someone for false advertising ;)

muttonhead 09-13-06 06:39 PM

Rats! Just a bunch (and I mean A BUNCH) of Danielle Steel titles new at my local!

elektrohog 09-13-06 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by muttonhead
Rats! Just a bunch (and I mean A BUNCH) of Danielle Steel titles new at my local!

even worse in upstate ny...big lots of vhs tapes! yikes
and maybe 5 dvds...
THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE for $4.99 was about the coolest thing i saw and i almost bought it again just to hear robert evans shit-talk ali mcgraw.

jimbeam 09-13-06 08:39 PM

Thanks! 1948 Show has been on my list for a while.

Joe Molotov 09-13-06 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by muttonhead

Ha, same here. Probably about 200+. A couple of copies of The Aviator and Constantine too, but none of the good stuff.

JiM T 09-14-06 01:42 AM

Thanks, got 'em! 1948 Show's 1st disc had come loose, so I hope it's all right. Not many copies to had!

Brent L 09-19-06 08:20 PM

I went to Big Lots just now, just blowing time for a while, to check out their DVDs. I picked up the two disc sets of At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set, as well as The Big Combo (Geneon Entertainment release). I have been meaning to pick that up at DDD for a while now, they have it for $5.99, but $2.99 at Big Lots is even better. That's not a bad haul at all for just under $10!

If anyone cares, check out the DVDTalk reviews for At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set. Both of them recieved a "Highly Recommended" rating. Over at IGN they gave At Last the 1948 Show a 10 rating for the main content on the discs, and an overall rating of 9.

The Big Lots also had a bunch of random stuff. They had all three of the Rambo flicks for $3.99 each, Step Into Liquid for $2.99 or $3.99, and like others have found at their local stores, they also had tons of Danielle Steel DVDs.

WhovianZorker 09-20-06 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JiM T
Thanks, got 'em! 1948 Show's 1st disc had come loose, so I hope it's all right. Not many copies to had!

Which store in the STL area did you find it at? I tried four or five of 'em on Saturday, and no joy.

JiM T 09-20-06 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by WhovianZorker
Which store in the STL area did you find it at? I tried four or five of 'em on Saturday, and no joy.

Last week, I found them at the Kingshighway Big Lots in south city. IIRC, they had one more of each.

Having watched "1948 Show" since then, I decided to try to pick up additional sets for my relatives who are Python fans. Haven't been back to the Kingshighway store yet, but no dice at the Manchester/Skinker store. Haven't gotten around to looking anywhere else. Sounds like I might as well not bother. But good luck to you, and sorry you've had no luck.

WhovianZorker 09-20-06 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JiM T
Last week, I found them at the Kingshighway Big Lots in south city. IIRC, they had one more of each.

Having watched "1948 Show" since then, I decided to try to pick up additional sets for my relatives who are Python fans. Haven't been back to the Kingshighway store yet, but no dice at the Manchester/Skinker store. Haven't gotten around to looking anywhere else. Sounds like I might as well not bother. But good luck to you, and sorry you've had no luck.

Well, someone else apparently grabbed the other pair at Kingshighway before Saturday. And there weren't any at South Broadway, McCausland, or West Florissant at I-270, either. Maybe I'll try the Rock Road store on the way home today....

Thanks for the info.

printerati 09-20-06 02:49 PM

I really hate setting foot in this store, much less multiple locations of this store, but I may have to. No luck at the Western Hills location here in Cincinnati. Is this the correct cover artwork for both?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...125514827_.jpg

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...125514806_.jpg

Brent L 09-20-06 03:38 PM

Yeah, that's right.

WhovianZorker 09-20-06 04:55 PM

Well, someone else apparently grabbed the other pair at Kingshighway before Saturday. And there weren't any at South Broadway, McCausland, or West Florissant at I-270, either. Maybe I'll try the Rock Road store on the way home today....

Thanks for the info.
...and none there either. :(

blucadet3 09-20-06 10:00 PM

no luck in norman, ok...mostly vhs...

Alan Smithee 09-21-06 02:14 AM

Scored these today in West Sacramento, there's a few more copies there that could be yours!

They've also got the Stargate Ultimate Edition for $5 with the theatrical version that's out of print, I paid about 3 times that much for it when it came out.

Doc Moonlight 09-21-06 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by WhovianZorker

Thanks for the info.

I was able to pick-up DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET at the Watson Rd store on Monday. They had 1 or 2 more copies. Good Luck.

docdoowop 09-21-06 11:00 AM

Rats! No luck at the St. Louis Park (MN) store. It wasn't a total loss as I found the 4-disc "Providence Collection" for $3.99. (For my wife, honest.)

FangsFirst 09-21-06 02:05 PM

Durham, NC had a number of copies.
Which isn't surprising. Not really the market for obscure british TV...

elektrohog 09-21-06 02:17 PM

scored DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET about 10 days ago- and today AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW (it wasn't there 10 days ago) from the SAME store in geneva, new york...so they are definitely still being stocked at random stores/random times.

pagansoul 09-21-06 03:04 PM

You might also try your luck at a ROSS Store. If you can fight your way through the garbage on the floors and the kids running wild.

FangsFirst 09-21-06 03:54 PM

I also found, of some note, the original version of the King of New York special edition--the one with the fun partially clear slipsleeve.
I've been looking for that for some time (4.99)

Cameron 09-21-06 04:55 PM

found them in Nashville area over on Gallatin Road. They also had (for 3.99) Dirty Dancing Ultimate edition, the original American Psycho dvd, Step Into Liquid, Original Stir of Echoes

Randy Hassan 09-21-06 08:46 PM

Jackson, MI

thanks OP

surfingelectrod 09-21-06 08:52 PM

None at mine. I'll check back in a few days... I really want these.

so it goes 09-21-06 10:17 PM

Went to the Springfield, MA Big Lots and got two of each. One for me, one for my brothers birthday. Nothing much else good there though. I think there was one of each left if any one was in the area.

jgorow 09-22-06 03:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this guys, I am a big python fan and these 2 sets are a great find. had to go to 5 different big lots locations to find them, but was well worth the hunt. also in my travels found a 3 disk set of 24 episodes of the tv show "White Fang" while at a ross store for 3.99

Trevor 09-22-06 10:28 AM

The only Big Lots in my area has a DVD selection that even a dollar store would be ashamed of.

Anybody with access to these want to hook a Python fan up?

Do I get bonus points for ending all my sentences with a preposition?

edit - Got a set from one of you friendly people, thanks there is much of!

jgorow 09-22-06 11:03 AM

trevor, I would hook you up if I could actually find another set. After going to 5 big lots stores, I could only find 1 set for myself. It seems that these big lots stores have more vhs than anything else, who the hell wants vhs anymore anyway?????

Quatermass 09-22-06 11:15 AM

Snagged the only copy of each at the small Big Lots near me (Midwest City, OK). Thanks OP. I'll check back in a few days and if there are any more I'll grab them for other dvdtalkers.

kenbenobi 09-22-06 11:25 AM

Have they been getting more in? I made the rounds last Saturday, and didn't find ANY. Wondering if I should check back again...

Quatermass 09-22-06 11:39 AM

Except for advertised specials, I think they leave a lot up to the individual store manager's discretion. That might only be the case at the store near me. It's pretty small compared to other Big Lots I've been to and even though they tend to overcrowd the aisles and shelves, I suspect they have a lot more stuff they can't put out. They seem to be constantly restocking, so I'd check back if I were you.

docdoowop 09-22-06 03:06 PM

Scratch the Brooklyn Center (Twin Cities) store. Nothing interesting but the 2-disc Special Edition of "King of New York" at $4.99.

elektrohog 09-22-06 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by elektrohog
scored DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET about 10 days ago- and today AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW (it wasn't there 10 days ago) from the SAME store in geneva, new york...so they are definitely still being stocked at random stores/random times.

sorry to quote myself from earlier in this thread but you should definitely check back at some of the stores you're looking at. as i said in my earlier post, the store i finally found them at had one the first week i went in- and the second one 10 days later after they re-stocked, so i was capable of getting both but it took 2 visits to the same store.

also, i had been to 5 other big lots in the area before i found one that stocked these. i think it's somewhat random which stores are getting them, but it seems to be the stores with decent dvd/media displays. some of the smaller stores don't seem to care too much about the media section and have a crappy (mostly vhs) selection from what i've seen.

it does seem from reading these posts that these are turning up nationally at big lots, and not just regionally in certain areas of the US.

jimdrix 09-22-06 04:23 PM

Found both sets in bloomington, Il ...cant beat less than 7 bucks for both sets put together...thanks op.

chard31 09-22-06 10:07 PM

Found 3 sets at one BL on Long Island and bought all 6 dvds...

Keeping 1 set and giving out the other 2 sets...

Thanks op...

kenbenobi 09-23-06 12:21 AM

Thanks, Electrohog. I'll check back this weekend...