Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Where are you buying Star Wars - non SEs?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-08-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you all buying it?

Where's the cheapest place either on line or at a store.
Old 09-08-06, 10:21 PM

They're not really non SE, since they include both the SE and the original cuts. But I think im getting mine at Best Buy. The $59.99 exclusive tin seems too hard to pass up. I think most of the stores in Speedy's post didn't list the individual prices though.
Old 09-08-06, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I'm loving on the idea of the tin and all, but when alot of retailers are announcing prices of 13-15, it's making it harder and harder to justify that tin.
Old 09-08-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whereever I can get them the chepaest. Lucas didn't spend much money on bringing the original versions to DVD, so I might as well not spend a lot of money acquiring them. Then save up for the HD versions that will come out a year before HD is replaced by a new format.
Old 09-08-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The part that irritates me is I agree that the possibility of REAL remasters is legitimate, but I don't want to be forced to buy the awful prequels to get real remasters and would rather settle for these if forced to choose...
Old 09-08-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Preterite
Lucas didn't spend much money on bringing the original versions to DVD, so I might as well not spend a lot of money acquiring them.
LOVE that quote.
Old 09-08-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't be buying them for myself. I'll let my parents buy them for me for Christmas.
Old 09-08-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I won't be buying them for myself. I'll let my parents buy them for me for Christmas.
I think I may go the same route.
Old 09-08-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy - The Tin.
Old 09-09-06, 12:06 AM

Yea the BestBuy tin is mine...I know it will prob be the same as the King Kong tin that I had to stash away in a closet cause it was too big for the shelf but oh well...

Do you guys think that since this release is limited and will dissapear by January that they won't include the original cuts in the 30th anniversary 6 film box set? My guess is no so that's why I'm picking em up now...I can't see a blu-ray release of the original unedited films so this may be the last and only dvd chance to get em...

I mean whatever happens I'll buy em all...hell, I have 4 different Vhs releases so...

Star Wars is my man and I am it's bitch!

Nuff Said.
Old 09-09-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Another question is where is everyone unloading their discs of IV-VI if they're buying this new sets? Where can I get the most dough?!
Old 09-09-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best buy for me...and i'm keeping my old set as well...and my hong kong dts 97 editions, and my bootleg dvd-r copies of the original movies
Old 09-09-06, 09:07 AM

Since the originals are not remastered or Anamorphic or 5.1 sound then I am passing. If giving the chance I rather spend the money on bootlegs of the laser disc versions which are 5.1 and anamorphic. Lucas really let down a lot of fans with these sub par offering on the original versions of the three films.
Old 09-09-06, 09:40 AM

Mine have shipped from FYE.com--$12.99 each after rebate.
Old 09-09-06, 09:50 AM

Best Buy tin.
Old 09-09-06, 09:51 AM

I was going to buy it from from BB for the tin, but after reading more about the releases, and checking out a few reviews, i'm definately passing on this one. I'll just wait out and hope that one day a real release will happen. Until then, i'll give my money to bootleggers.

Z
Old 09-09-06, 01:46 PM

Buying the Tin also if I don't make it I'll just buy all 3 DVD's seperated.
Who knows Best Buy might have hugh lines.
Old 09-09-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthScooby
Do you guys think that since this release is limited and will dissapear by January that they won't include the original cuts in the 30th anniversary 6 film box set? My guess is no so that's why I'm picking em up now...I can't see a blu-ray release of the original unedited films so this may be the last and only dvd chance to get em...
... in letterbox? Because, Murphy's Law dictates that your guess may be right: these won't be in the "30th Anniversary" set because they will appear in anamorphic then, not to mention include the deleted scenes.

Mine are on the way from FYE (for the rebate offer, which will make the cost of each $12.99). I sold the three from the original box set (keeping the documentary DVD and the outer box) on half.com for about $30, but that was a while back. I hate oversize keepcases, so I have no regrets passing on the BB tin.
Old 09-09-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lucas can kiss my ass, I bought each VHS individually, then IV, V, & VI in a VHS set, then I bought them each one on DVD, then in a DVD set, now there's more? Ha, excuse me if I say Fuck That. The only way I will ever buy anymore Star Wars DVDs is if there is some sort of Legendary-Collectors-Special Edition box set, and it better be really special for me to buy it.
Old 09-09-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will also pass on these. I have the SEs, and while I don't like the edits and hate Lucas' continuous revisionism on principle, the edits don't bother me as much as they seem to bother other people (meaning I can still enjoy the SEs in 16x9 with DD5.1). I've also seen the original 3 movies so many times that what's missing or changed in the SEs still remains in my tiny brain.

Netflix has these listed as being available for rent on Tuesday, so I might go that route to see how the transfers are compared to the old LDs which I still have. Also in typical Netflix style, they list Widescreen and Full Screen as the formats for 2 out of the 3 discs, and the jacket image says Full Screen. However, people say that Netflix always gets widescreen when both formats are available separately. I hope that's right because Pan & Scan is an affront to my eyes and unwatchable.

Obviously this an error because these discs are not flippers, but Netflix never has listened in the past to my email or phone comments about errors on their site so I don't waste my time saying anything to them now. I get more response out of a brick wall.
Old 09-09-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

im not gonna buy it...but if i were to, itd be at walmart
Old 09-09-06, 04:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy's tin

(<--a marketer's wet dream)
Old 09-09-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
im not gonna buy it...but if i were to, itd be at walmart

Same here. Initially, I was all set to buy these but as the weeks since the original announcement was made, my interest has declined.
Old 09-09-06, 09:45 PM

saw the bby tin in person - it's very nice... i'll be getting that
Old 09-09-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Same here. Initially, I was all set to buy these but as the weeks since the original announcement was made, my interest has declined.
With a projected price of $13.87 for each at Walmart, I'll be picking all three up on release day. A reasonable price to get both the SE and original versions. Sure the original versions are not anamorphic, but I'm only going to watch them occasionally, and they'll look fine on both my 34" HDTV widescreen monitor as well as my 8' ft. screen. I don't need every title I own to be reference quality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.