Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Trade 4 get 1 Free (Warehouse/Sam Goody/FYE/Suncoast/Coconuts) $26.99 Value!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Trade 4 get 1 Free (Warehouse/Sam Goody/FYE/Suncoast/Coconuts) $26.99 Value!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
My Suncoast said this deal ended yesterday... Only one of my 2 remaining Suncoasts carry used DVD's... So I'm SOL...
I tried again today, hoping I'd speak to someone else. This person was willing to look it up, and found the email regarding this. He read the email over and over, and decided that I could get up to $26.99 for any 4 DVD's traded in, unless they scanned at 1 penny. He DID allow me to select sale titles, but I couldn't go over and pay the difference. I traded Matrix Reloaded, MI2, Killing Me Softly, and Bad Boys (Sean Penn) for The Tick S1. My total trade-in value was $10, and he did an override on the price of Tick to $10 to match. Now I gotta find 4 more DVD's to trade... Shouldn't be that hard...
Old 09-06-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a great experience with the Suncoast in West LA. They accepted everything I brought in, including one title which was coming up as $0.01 in their system; allowed me to pay the difference to get a box set that cost more than $26.99; and honored sale prices on the DVDs I wanted to trade for!

I had to pay sales tax on the new disks (glitch?), but in all I dropped 8 DVDs which had been in the back of my closet for almost a year now, plus a few bucks and walked out with a 3-disk box set and a 2-disk SE DVD. A great deal. Thanks OP!!!
Old 09-06-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, i had alot DVD's isn't worth $1 trade in credit in at GS or EB. Glad i kept it till now and i'll hit Samgoody tomorrow
Old 09-06-06, 07:27 PM

I called ahead to my local FYE to make sure they were aware of the deal.

I brought with me 9 dvds. 1 extra, just in case one of them didn't make the cut.
1) Oceans 12
2) Closer
3) Boondock Saints (older version)
4) Lemony Snickets
5) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
6) League of Extraordinary Gentlmen
7) Pi
8) Glory Road (I recently bought this used at Blockbuster, put in a new case)
9) Brokeback Mountain

The person at the register scanned the barcodes and the total came out to $26. I guess he thought I just wanted to trade it in. I told him about the deal and he says "ah, I'm glad you reminded me".

So he says for me to go pick up two $26.99 or under dvds. Selected Amadeus (2-disc special edition) and City of God. Paid $4 + change for the tax and I was on my way. And of all the dvds that I had, he had to choose Oceans 12 (a $ .50 value IIRC) to let me keep.
Old 09-06-06, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Im glad alot of you guys got in on the deal. I still have a handful of stuff to dump.
Old 09-06-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be heading over to my local Suncoast tomorrow, Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-06-06, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
BTW, Xage, where did you find RE 1&2 for $15? I'll pick it up for that.
At Secondspin store in Santa Monica CA. Its not a used DVD, its brandnew
Old 09-06-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CrumpsBrother
Had a great experience with the Suncoast in West LA. They accepted everything I brought in, including one title which was coming up as $0.01 in their system; allowed me to pay the difference to get a box set that cost more than $26.99; and honored sale prices on the DVDs I wanted to trade for!
Cool! You talking about the store at the Westside Galleria? What was the $0.01 disc?
Old 09-06-06, 11:31 PM

I work for Transworld. Boy we have a bunch of idiots out there working for us. An e-mail was sent out detailing the rules of this. Alot of it is up to the individual store manager, but the main rules are clear. You ARE allowed one "penny" DVD in the four. You can get a higher priced item and pay the difference. In fact we're enticing it!

As far as other DVD selections go. It depends on how many copies a store has. If they are overstocked, or they know a certain titles doesn't sell, it's at a managers discretion to not accept it. I have no idea where some stores got some of the ideas they did. And you shouldn't have to pay the tax. This should be an even exchange. They are supposed to split the total cost of the DVD into 4 parts, and override the trade in value of each DVD to match.

I guess maximizing this deal is very YMMV. Good luck folks!
Old 09-07-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Cool! You talking about the store at the Westside Galleria? What was the $0.01 disc?
That's the place. And the one-cent-er was ABOUT SCHMIDT. Actually, I love that flick, but I had two copies. Given the low trade-in value, seems like a lot people must have had two copies...
Old 09-07-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CrumpsBrother
That's the place. And the one-cent-er was ABOUT SCHMIDT. Actually, I love that flick, but I had two copies. Given the low trade-in value, seems like a lot people must have had two copies...
Cool, I live near there (in Cheviot Hills). I should probably check it out. As for "About Schmidt" having a resale value of $0.01, that's disappointing to hear. Wish there was a way to check the resale value of DVD's without having to lug 20 of them over there.
Old 09-07-06, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
Cool, I live near there (in Cheviot Hills). I should probably check it out. As for "About Schmidt" having a resale value of $0.01, that's disappointing to hear. Wish there was a way to check the resale value of DVD's without having to lug 20 of them over there.
I've found that the buy prices at wherehouse.com generally are about the same as the FYE values.
Old 09-07-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Appleseed tin was not the one with the figure. I got a great deal because I don't watch the DVDs I traded in and this store gives you the most for trade of any store I've traded DVDs into before. Sure, the prices at FYE are basically retail prices, but the Resident Evil 1/2 combo was better than DDD.com's price. I try to look for deals and rarities. The special editions of Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell with the action figures are just a waste for me. I don't collect action figures, so I'm not going to pay a premium for them. I would like to have the DTS tracks that come on the GITS special eds, but not willing to pay that premium for them. By the way, does anyone know of a Jurassic Park 3pack that has all DTS versions of the movies?
Old 09-07-06, 07:50 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by Overpar
The Appleseed tin was not the one with the figure. I got a great deal because I don't watch the DVDs I traded in and this store gives you the most for trade of any store I've traded DVDs into before.
Didn't you read Xage's post? You could have saved money if you went to California to shop at a store there. How hard could that be? You only live a continent away.

I think you got a good deal. Nearly $8/disc for used titles is very good, and even if you're paying near retail, it's better to have something you'll watch than something that just takes up shelf space.
Old 09-07-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gosh, I love a good dose of sarcasm! Yep, anytime I can trade something I don't watch for something I will watch, I will make that trade. In fact, I think I'm going to trade in my James Bond DVDs in preparation for the new sets coming out. Thanks Videophile.
Old 09-07-06, 08:50 AM

printerati thanks for the information about the cincinnati area guess am not going to waste my time.

Overpar i would ebay the old james bond dvds if you are getting rid of them, some can get excellant prices I had
From Russia With Love get $27 plus $3 for shipping a couple weeks ago
Old 09-07-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DrPrimo
I've found that the buy prices at wherehouse.com generally are about the same as the FYE values.
I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Old 09-07-06, 10:35 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DrPrimo
For Wherehouse, the online prices are usually the in-store price + 15%. So for a DVD that you get $3 for in store, the online price will show $3.45. There are some DVDs where the pricing doesn't follow that rule, but in general that seems to work. The secondspin.com price is often what you will get in store at Wherehouse; although there are exceptions and box set prices seem to vary more.
Old 09-07-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
I went to my local FYE at the Irvine Spectrum. Here is my list of dvds that I wanted to trade in (all original release, non-SE dvds):

Batman
Pretty In Pink
Ferris Bueller
Spaceballs
Pitch Black
Jewel Of The Nile
Romancing The Stone
Batman Forever
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 2
Dumb and Dumber
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Nemesis

They were going to take them all (except Batman Forever and Romancing The Stone as they were the extra 2), but the only dvd they had that I wanted was "Batman Beyond: Season 1". The manager told me they were doing this deal until Sept. 20th (may want to take that with a grain of salt). If that's the case, I'll probably go back in next Tuesday to get Star Wars: ANH and ROTJ for the other dvds I didn't trade in.

Also, they didn't let me pay the difference if a dvd I wanted went over $26.99.
Old 09-07-06, 03:47 PM

Hit or miss I guess. My Suncoast is WONDERFUL in customer service if not handcuffed by overpricing. They took 12 used and 1 unopened as Exchange w/o receipt for credit. Applied the credit to the three DVDs I selected and I picked up The 400 Blows CC, MI-5 S1, and Nowhere Man Complete Series by paying sales tax. The manager said the exchange will continue through the 10th.
Old 09-07-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Eve Brown
printerati thanks for the information about the cincinnati area guess am not going to waste my time.
It may not be a complete loss just yet. I spoke to a girl at the FYE in the Florence Mall, and when I asked if the $26.99 can be used as credit towards a more expensive item, she "didn't see why not," and was going to tell the other employees the same. She did say that the deal expires 9/10. I'm going to check it out after work tonight and will report what I find.

Even if it doesn't work out, the trip won't be wasted since they opened an Orange Julius in their new food court.
Old 09-07-06, 06:32 PM

Last edited by JohnSlider; 01-25-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts
Now we're talking!

I took nine discs to the Florence store, since one of them was rejected by the Suncoast and FYE stores in Tri-County. Not only did they take that one, they gave me a $10 credit for the wife's public domain copy of McLintock! because it was sealed! (The clerk gave me the impression that any sealed and shrinkwrapped title is worth $10 in credit at that store.)

They put that credit and the two $26.99 credits on a gift card, which can be used in-store or online. FYE.com runs some great preorder specials from time to time, so I'm a happy man. I'm heading back there at some point this weekend with another set of four, plus one sealed title, and hope I get the same clerk.

The Orange Julius kicked ass, too.
Old 09-07-06, 07:12 PM

Any suggestions about which NYC-area store is best for this deal?
Old 09-07-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gave a quick ring to the Parmatown mall FYE store here in Ohio and was told that they would only do one transaction per visit. That sucks because I've got a stack of DVDs I'd like to exchange. Anybody else run into this response?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.