Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

DVDs at Ross - Dress for Less!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVDs at Ross - Dress for Less!

Old 01-18-11, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVDs at Ross - Dress for Less!

My local Ross had the Miami Vice Complete Series Box reduced to $9.99. I didn't pick it up.

Now, don't get excited though, I peeked and... it was just the boxes... someone had taken ALL the DVDS.
Old 01-18-11, 11:11 AM

Saw "the Fall of the Roman Empire" limited edition 3 disc box for $8.99.
Old 01-18-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
The last few times I've been to a few different Ross stores since Christmas, instead of a nearly full DVD rack on both sides, each store has 2-4 rows on 1 side with the rest empty or full of non-movie stuff (things like overpriced CD/DVD holders). I even asked when they'll get some restock on movies and they had no idea. So the last time I was near Ross I didn't even bother going in.
Something has definitely happened to inventory levels of DVDs at Ross in the past month. About two weeks before Christmas it appears that much of the inventory was just pulled, leaving most stores with just a handful of mediocre selections. A few decent items remain, like the aforementioned complete Miami Vice box and isolated seasons of Paramount television shows, but Ross might be pulling back from DVDs. It is the smallest inventory I have seen for Ross in the past several years.
Old 01-18-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Excellent deal on a great movie.
Old 01-19-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by seans515
Well Honestly No one cares about what you didnt find. This is a thread for bargains we DID find.
I never mentioned what I didn't find. I was just hoping there might be a way to reduce the amount of repetition of people reposting titles already posted long ago. However, it appears there isn't a way to do that, and after what PhantomStranger indicated, it may be a moot point anyway as it appears we won't be seeing a lot of new stuff at Ross in the future.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Something has definitely happened to inventory levels of DVDs at Ross in the past month. About two weeks before Christmas it appears that much of the inventory was just pulled, leaving most stores with just a handful of mediocre selections. A few decent items remain, like the aforementioned complete Miami Vice box and isolated seasons of Paramount television shows, but Ross might be pulling back from DVDs. It is the smallest inventory I have seen for Ross in the past several years.
That's interesting. Did they tell you it was pulled or you just guessed that? The employees at my Ross stores indicated they just sold most of their DVDs at Christmas and hadn't replaced them rather than they sent most of them back. I shouldn't be surprised because most employees at most stores don't know anything, don't care, and will agree with whatever theory you throw out. I said "what happened to most of the DVDs? Did you sell that many at Christmas?", and I'd get a "yes" rather than the truth "I don't know... I just work here and don't care".

It would make sense though. I was at that Best ____ place (since some people have fits when I call them my pet name) and an employee told me they had just pulled 400 titles to no longer be carried. I asked if they were old catalog titles or recent releases and I was told a mix of everything. I can partly confirm this having tried to return a few fairly recent movies after Christmas and a lot of them that were bought at Best _____ came up as discontinued. I said "you sure don't keep stuff in your inventory for very long". The answer was "they are trying to get rid of DVDs and push everyone toward Cinema Now". I said that may work fine until everyone is watched VOD over the Internet at which point I doubt the bandwidth will be there for smooth watching.

So apparently Ross DVDs are mostly going away too, Big Lots increasing prices on DVDs, Best ____ and Walmart DVD sections suck pretty bad. Only Target has expanded their Blu-Ray section. I didn't think the demise of B&M DVD would happen so soon. Oh well. I never bought much at B&M stores anyway, but when so much of the competition goes, then our days of Amazon pricematching will be over. Soon we'll be forced to get almost all our movies online.

Last edited by Manzana; 01-19-11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-19-11, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer was "they are trying to get rid of DVDs and push everyone toward Cinema Now".
Goodbye collecting... I don't know about the rest of you but I sure as hell can't wait until I can no longer own any of the media I buy.
Old 01-19-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

That's interesting. Did they tell you it was pulled or you just guessed that? The employees at my Ross stores indicated they just sold most of their DVDs at Christmas and hadn't replaced them rather than they sent most of them back. I shouldn't be surprised because most employees at most stores don't know anything, don't care, and will agree with whatever theory you throw out. I said "what happened to most of the DVDs? Did you sell that many at Christmas?", and I'd get a "yes" rather than the truth "I don't know... I just work here and don't care".
Much of the inventory was definitely pulled, items that had been hanging around for months unsold just disappeared. I am not sure how they determined what was to be left out, as most stores now just have a smattering of junk titles (fitness DVDs, public domain, etc.) for the most part.
Old 01-19-11, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Same exact thing is happening at Big Lots out here in Indiana. They cut the dvd space down by more than half when they moved in the Christmas merch. All the Christmas stuff is gone now, but they cut the dvds down even more.

Last week, the store out here that usually has the most had 2 big tables of dvds, both more than half empty. I thought they getting ready to put new stuff out, with that sale they were starting on them (2 for $5). I went back there Monday, both tables gone, only one tiny shelf of kids junk.
Old 01-26-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought:

Honkeytonk Man (Clint Eastwood) in keepcase
Woody Woodpecker Vol. 2

Also saw the Spider-Man 3-disc Deluxe Edition.
Old 01-27-11, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the woodstock in a drum-like set for $29 if im not mistaken
Old 01-27-11, 10:20 AM

My local Ross also had the Woodstock Ultimate Collector's Edition for $29.99. I might go back today and buy it. Amazon has it for $99.
Old 01-29-11, 01:33 PM
Cool New Member

I came across single copies of Heroes seasons one and three at my local Ross for 19.99 each. Has anyone else come across these and is that a good deal?
Old 01-29-11, 04:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by skippysgarden
I came across single copies of Heroes seasons one and three at my local Ross for 19.99 each. Has anyone else come across these and is that a good deal?
I saw those also. I also found:

Fat Albert's Greatest Hits, the Ultimate Collection for $5.99
Defenders of the Earth: Complete Series Volume 1 for $5.99
Carole Lombard: the Glamour Collection for $9.99
Woody Woodpecker and Friends Volume 2 for $7.99
Barbra Streisand Box Set: Funny Girl and Funny Lady for $4.99

and a handful of Paramount titles including:
Paper Moon (Canadian version with English and French cover)
Children of a Lesser God (Canadian)
Fatal Attraction
Black Rain
Old 01-29-11, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by skippysgarden
I've seen those Heroes seasons at my Ross, and I don't consider $20 for any DVD TV season a good price. You should be able to get the BD for that price when the appropriate sale arrives. Since I got my S1 & S2 BDs used at HW Video for $2 per disc, I'm only looking for S3, but given that I haven't watched a single episode (it was a blind buy) yet, I'm not in a hurry to get S3.

I also saw the titles that Surfinhawk mentioned above, so my Ross' DVD section isn't as bad as it was a few weeks ago, but it's still pretty bad compared to "normal" last year. I paid $10 for Funny Girl/Lady at CH long ago, so I was bummed seeing it so cheap. I already had Woody Woodpecker V2 for $6 from BL (too bad Ross didn't have V1), the rest I already had or didn't want, so I just got Fat Albert for $5.99. Hey hey hey.
Old 01-30-11, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Excellent deal on a great movie.
Absolutely agreed!
Old 01-31-11, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jsz1002
I recently saw it for $6.99 new on Amazon marketplace from a reputable seller fulfilled by Amazon. That would save you $2 + tax if you have Prime.
Old 02-01-11, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Argh... I've been to three Ross stores. No Woody Woodpecker!
Old 02-06-11, 04:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw many of the Paramount titles mentioned. They included Fatal Attraction (I love the 80s version), Black Rain, The Perfect Score (Scarlett Johanson), Wayne's World, Tommy Boy, and Three Violent People. There were others that I can't remember. Prices varied for each title, $3.99 or $4.99. Most of them were Canadian versions. I also saw Disney's That Darn Cat (1965 version) for $3.99.
Old 02-07-11, 01:41 AM

All the Honolulu Ross stores seem to be dropping DVD's from their inventory. Except for kids movies and belly dance videos their selection has dwindled down to almost nothing, which sucks since it was possible at times to find real bargains on movies people would actually want to own. Not any more.
Old 02-12-11, 11:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Found "The Batman" The Complete First season and Third Season for $4.99 each.
Old 02-19-11, 04:22 PM

Found some interesting stuff today:

Bonnie & Clyde Ultimate Collector's Box Set $7.99
Gary Cooper Collection (Universal) $6.99
Marlon Brando Collection (Universal) $6.99
Carole Lombard: the Glamour Collection $6.99 (found one a few weeks back for $9.99)
Cecil B DeMille Collection (Universal) $11.99
Fat Albert Easter Special $4.99
Wonder Woman Season 2 $9.99
Freakazoid Season 2 $9.99
Old 02-19-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Found some interesting stuff today:

Cecil B DeMille Collection (Universal) $11.99
Is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/DeMille-Collec...8175422&sr=1-1

amazon 3rd party are basically price matching, but it's still a great deal if so.

i need to get to Ross & try to nab that one.
Old 02-20-11, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/DeMille-Collec...8175422&sr=1-1

amazon 3rd party are basically price matching, but it's still a great deal if so.

i need to get to Ross & try to nab that one.
That looks like the one.
Old 02-23-11, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

The Demille is down to $10.94 New from Amazon 3rd party sellers. I bit there.
Old 02-23-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
The Demille is down to $10.94 New from Amazon 3rd party sellers. I bit there.
$10.74 now, but you have to figure in shipping. I still got a better deal for it at Ross, even with tax. But not by much.

Contrary to SurfinHank's findings, the only Lombard I found at Ross was not $6.99 but $9.99, so congrats if anyone found it for less. $9.99 still isn't a bad deal, it beats Amazon because of shipping and, I think, equals the cheapest it ever was at Sam's. So thanks to Hank for the update!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.