DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   What a country...V For Vendetta 2 Disk SE $13.96! (Wal-Mart YMMV) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/473528-what-country-v-vendetta-2-disk-se-%2413-96-wal-mart-ymmv.html)

dvdlover631 08-03-06 07:36 PM

What a country...V For Vendetta 2 Disk SE $13.96! (Wal-Mart YMMV)

Well, I just got back from one of the local Walmarts in my area. In the dvd department they had the new V For Vendetta on display. I saw the 2 disk Special Edition version with a sale tag that stated $16.96. I knew right away that was a steal so I scooped one. I did a self-scan to check the price and it scanned in $22.96, which is the correct price IMO. So I immediately brought the set to the register to purchase and yep it scanned at $22.96. I start to argue the point and show the sale tag stating 16.96 for the SE. Yep, they were wrong, the assistant manager does a price over-ride for the 16.96, but wait what about the 3 bucks off for the wrong price? Ok, they give me the 3 bucks off (hey it was their error not mine!) so I end up walking out of Walmart with the 2 disk V For Vendetta for $13.96! Gotta love Wally World!

HE Pennypacker 08-03-06 07:40 PM

Congratulation.

The Cow 08-03-06 08:53 PM

Yay for you, but your title is misleading and not a bargain to be had. Well, extreme case of YMMV.

namlook 08-03-06 09:48 PM

Why not get it for approx $6-$7 (average DVD price) at CH with a membership fulfillment?

Sweet Baby James 08-03-06 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by namlook
Why not get it for approx $6-$7 (average DVD price) at CH with a membership fulfillment?

That's what I did.:up:

Filmmaker 08-03-06 10:07 PM

Okay, sure, you win on price, but my V FOR VENDETTA's lenticular cover kicks your plain cover's ass... ;)

The Cow 08-03-06 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Okay, sure, you win on price, but my V FOR VENDETTA's lenticular cover kicks your plain cover's ass... ;)

Yeah, more than twice the price for that cover... Marketing people kick ass.

stingermck 08-03-06 11:20 PM

Traded 4 $2 titles at Movie Stop for it (4 for 1). Another $2 for the difference and I was out the door.
:editking:

Janus09 08-03-06 11:29 PM

Hmm thats interesting. We don't have any wal-marts around here so I will probably just get it off amazon. BTW I loved the movie. The social and political aspects were great. I would never think a comic (er, graphic novel) would be so gritty and contemporary. BTW has anyone seen the V site http://www.thefutureisours.com? I'm trying to win the TV lol.

FangsFirst 08-04-06 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Janus09
I would never think a comic (er, graphic novel) would be so gritty and contemporary.

Contemporary, heh!
It's about 20 years old and was about Margaret Thatcher.

Beyond that, I'd highly suggest that you go read...a lot of comics these days. Since the 80s MANY (even the superhero ones) have been terribly gritty and contemporary. And 'graphic novel' is a pretentious BS term that ORIGINALLY just referred to comics released as whole books (which V was not originally released as). I still love that Neil Gaiman (who wrote the similarly highly respected Sandman) was once at a convention where a man was sneering at him and asked who he was, thinking him a lowly comic writer, and Neil told him his name. The man apparently responded, "Oh you mean you write graphic novels!" and Neil thought the guy was an idiot and proclaims proudly that he does in fact write comic books.

...uh, anyway.

pizzamousechips 08-04-06 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Janus09
Hmm thats interesting. We don't have any wal-marts around here so I will probably just get it off amazon. BTW I loved the movie. The social and political aspects were great. I would never think a comic (er, graphic novel) would be so gritty and contemporary. BTW has anyone seen the V site http://www.thefutureisours.com? I'm trying to win the TV lol.

Getting the codes doesn't increase your chances of winning, but it is fun. I only have 4 so far...

Edit: Ok, not so fun. Codes were all over the web, so I'm now I'm done. Oh well. Nice viral marketing.

bboisvert 08-04-06 08:26 AM

http://www.yakov.com/images/bioImg1.jpg

Ravenous 08-06-06 02:17 PM

Since when does WalMart give an extra $3 off?

Oh and I got my 2 disc for $12 yesterday. Beat that :D

nhljeepdude 08-06-06 02:55 PM

now if only it were a good movie.....

GradVT06 08-06-06 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by nhljeepdude
now if only it were a good movie.....

if only that comment was really called for and needed to be posted

Jah-Wren Ryel 08-06-06 05:21 PM

Are you crappin' his thread crap?

FangsFirst 08-06-06 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous

Technically, that is and has been for some time the policy for mispriced items-- you either get $3 off, or, if the item is less than $3, you get it free.

It just doesn't get put into effect very often.

dvd_luver 08-07-06 02:14 AM

I was thinking of doing a blind buy with this, I think I may hold off, but I love the original posters enthusiasm for getting this for $13 and change from Wal-Mart. Anyway you roll the dice that is not a bad price for it from retail straight up on release week.

Novasonic 08-07-06 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, more than twice the price for that cover... Marketing people kick ass.

Hey, don't forget the cool comic.

dvdlover631 08-07-06 08:19 AM

Just watched V For Vendetta last night, what a flick! One of the best movies I have seen in a long time! Now that I am sucked in I have to go look for the mask set, the 3d/comic set and the graphic novel! Damn I am a sucker for punishment!

illennium 08-07-06 08:48 AM

Given the message of V for Vendetta, isn't praising Wal*Mart and waxing patriotic over a low price on the DVD more than a little ironic?

blucadet3 08-07-06 10:21 AM

Walmart is the evil empire dude. I wont sell my sould for a dvd deal.

dvdlover631 08-07-06 10:45 AM

For cheap prices I will sell my soul to anyone!

kenbenobi 08-07-06 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dvdlover631
For cheap prices I will sell my soul to anyone!

Hey, I'm buying souls! What DVD do you want for cheap?

SterlingBen 08-07-06 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous

Oh and I got my 2 disc for $12 yesterday. Beat that :D

How about 4.95 average price from Columbia House there buddy