Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Bourne Supremacy, Eternal Sunshine and more only $.99 after MIR at FYE! (YMMV)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-30-06, 09:59 PM

At work today I had to change a bunch of sale prices for a new promotion that FYE is running this week. Interestingly it was a lot of the same titles that are advertised in the BB and CC flyers this week. They are on sale for $7.99 each and also include a MIR for $7. The titles are as follows:

Bourne Supremacy
Unleashed (UR)
Blues Brothers (25th Anniversary)
Breakfast Club
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
In Good Company
Meet the Fockers
Sixteen Candles
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power
Schindler's List
Land of the Dead
Constant Gardener

Please note that I don't think that Trans World meant to offer the cheaper sale price of $7.99 in addition to the rebate. There is no signing for this promotion and it is probably a mistake, but I doubt that most stores will realize/care. (These same titles were previously on sale for $14.99 and also included the $7 MIR making them $7.99 after MIR.)

I know that the rebates are a huge pain in the ass, but for those of you that don't mind waiting for the check in addition to hassling the customer service at Parago in order to get it, it might be worth your time. This sale should be good through Saturday 8/5. I will report back if they end up realizing the mistake and canceling the rebate or something. (Remember, most stores will have no idea about this deal, but if you can find the titles it should work without any problems.)
Old 07-31-06, 12:48 AM

Oy, tough decision. $4.xx out the door or $.99 after rebates...$.99 sure is tempting.
Old 07-31-06, 05:44 AM

Darn! I've already bought most of those titles in CC & BB.

It might be a nationwide clearance by Universal Studio, most of the DVDs I got are from Universal. The others from Columbia TriStar.
Old 07-31-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are no FYEs near me, but this sale is also going on at The Wherehouse. Unfortunately it was a moot point because all the widescreen DVDs on this list were gone, except for the 2 John Hughes movies which didn't have pan & scan versions released (thankfully). All they had left were pan & scan versions of each. According to the guy this sale has been going on for quite a while which is why they've been cleaned out, but I can't know about sales until they are mentioned or advertised. I'll never understand why many places like Walmart and Wherehouse carry so many pan & scan DVDs. The fact they get cleaned out of the widescreen but have several P&S copies left ought to clue them in, but I guess we'll have to suffer with P&S forever. I wonder if Blu Ray and HD-DVD will be strewn with P&S releases too or if the P&S insanity will stop at DVD.
Old 07-31-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went by my local FYE today.... no such sale there.
Old 07-31-06, 08:21 PM
HTN

Thank you very much for the heads up, ltrain! Stopped by my local FYE tonight and picked up the following. Would have liked to pick up Schlinder's List too, but only (7) copies of full screen available with no widescreen in sight.

The Bourne Supremacy = $7.99
The Blues Brothers (25th Anniversary) = $7.99
Unleashed (Unrated) = $7.99

Backstage Pass (10%) = -$2.40
MIR (3 x $7) = -$21.00

FINAL COST = $0.57 + sales tax on $21.57

=====================================================

Rebate Information:

Purchase date: 07/20/06 to 08/09/06
UPC Requirements: Original bar code symbol (can use yellow price sticker)
Postmark date: 09/09/06
Limits: One (1) rebate per item/UPC per household or address

Mail to:
P8 0720 Period DVD
TWEC 06-51996
P.O. Box 540009
El Paso, TX 88554-0009
Old 07-31-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Went by my local FYE today.... no such sale there.
they simply were not advertising it, the reality is its sorta a screw up.

these titles appear on a dvd 4way display and until sunday were priced at 14.99 and included a 7 dollar MIR

however, we started a summer sizzler(sp?) sale on select dvds for 6 days ending the 5th i think. so the prices dropped to 7.99 but the rebates are still active!!! and i doubt they should be

act fast, this will ring correctly at the reg, but i bet they change it soon.

should work fine at coconuts strawberries and other transworld stores, though not sure about suncoast and sam goody.

edited to add>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what up ltrain

and, anyone got suggestions on what to get from this list? i am really curious about constant gardner, and unleashed. any can't miss titles?

Last edited by db27; 07-31-06 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 11:50 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by db27
they simply were not advertising it, the reality is its sorta a screw up.

these titles appear on a dvd 4way display and until sunday were priced at 14.99 and included a 7 dollar MIR

however, we started a summer sizzler(sp?) sale on select dvds for 6 days ending the 5th i think. so the prices dropped to 7.99 but the rebates are still active!!! and i doubt they should be

act fast, this will ring correctly at the reg, but i bet they change it soon.

should work fine at coconuts strawberries and other transworld stores, though not sure about suncoast and sam goody.

edited to add>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what up ltrain

and, anyone got suggestions on what to get from this list? i am really curious about constant gardner, and unleashed. any can't miss titles?

so where are the rebate forms located? and are they good at coconuts stores too?
Old 07-31-06, 11:55 PM

Glad some people were able to take advantage of the deal. As my good pal db27 put it: This sale is not advertised because it probably is a mistake. Please take advantage while you can. (Nice deal HTN! If you've got a backstage pass it's even sweeter.)

Constant Gardener is worth checking out, but probably not anything you'd watch multiple times. Unleashed I haven't seen, but I heard it's a decent action flick. I was thinking about picking up Schindler's List myself. I believe we have one lone widescreen copy at #541.

cheapbrass,

The rebate forms will print out at the registers at the time of purchase.

Last edited by ltrain; 07-31-06 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ours did have the Summer Sizzler (or Sizzling) sale advertised... "cds and dvds as low as $9.99. We also had a 4-way dvd display... again, all were marked at $9.99.

Why can't they ever screw up in my part of the country??
Old 08-01-06, 12:06 AM

Ours did have the Summer Sizzler (or Sizzling) sale advertised... "cds and dvds as low as $9.99. We also had a 4-way dvd display... again, all were marked at $9.99.

Why can't they ever screw up in my part of the country??
It's very possible that particular store didn't actually do all of the price changes that came down from the home office yesterday, hence they were still tagged at different prices. It might be worth your time to just grab some of the titles from the list above that you're interested in and have them check the prices for you, or scan them in at the LVS machines located throughout the store. (They should ring up at $7.99 in the registers.) If it's still a no go for you than I apologize. It should work though, trust me.
Old 08-01-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ltrain
It's very possible that particular store didn't actually do all of the price changes that came down from the home office yesterday, hence they were still tagged at different prices. It might be worth your time to just grab some of the titles from the list above that you're interested in and have them check the prices for you, or scan them in at the LVS machines located throughout the store. (They should ring up at $7.99 in the registers.) If it's still a no go for you than I apologize. It should work though, trust me.
No apologies necessary! The deal has worked for some folks, and I'm always glad for that. I'm just spoiled, that's all... I want my dvds at a reasonable price, readily available, and right NOW!!!! (Is it too much to ask?)
Old 08-01-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No apologies necessary! The deal has worked for some folks, and I'm always glad for that. I'm just spoiled, that's all... I want my dvds at a reasonable price, readily available, and right NOW!!!! (Is it too much to ask?)

Actually, yes, that's alot to ask... Bargain can be defined many ways now. For some of us, paying extra few bucks for hassel free bargain, we'll do it. For many out there, they rather waste 10 mins here and there just to save a few bucks. Remember, for rebates, you have to fill out the forms, buy stamps and mail them. Once you got the checks, you gotta deposite them. Times! You get my idea, so to keep it short (my times), i rest my case.
Old 08-01-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, thanks for the post, it's good to know!
Old 08-01-06, 12:44 PM
Cool New Member

So can anyone confirm the prices & rebates at Coconuts?
Old 08-01-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Actually, yes, that's alot to ask... Bargain can be defined many ways now. For some of us, paying extra few bucks for hassel free bargain, we'll do it. For many out there, they rather waste 10 mins here and there just to save a few bucks. Remember, for rebates, you have to fill out the forms, buy stamps and mail them. Once you got the checks, you gotta deposite them. Times! You get my idea, so to keep it short (my times), i rest my case.
Actually, I was kinda kidding, but s'ok... your point is well-made.
Old 08-01-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Confirmed at Strawberries. Picked up Constant Gardener, Bourne Supremacy, Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. thanks OP!
Old 08-01-06, 07:38 PM

What is the Back Stage Pass that gives 10% off?
Thanks OP, I'm going ot try to get to Coconuts tomorrow for a few titles.
Old 08-01-06, 08:17 PM

Confirmed at FYE in Rochester NY (Eastview Mall, Victor). Thanks OP, got Blues Bros and Constant Gardener.
Old 08-01-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cheapbrass
So can anyone confirm the prices & rebates at Coconuts?
yep.

i manage one.

deal is in progress.
Old 08-01-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, OP. Got the following from Wherehouse:

Unleashed (UR)
Blues Brothers (25th Anniversary)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sixteen Candles
Schindler's List
Land of the Dead

Also found a rare Jurassic Park DTS used copy for $7. Rebate form printed out with $7 MIR for each. Cashier was shocked.
Old 08-02-06, 12:19 AM

be careful with FYE rebates

I've had 3 dift. rebates come back voided.. all for not including the UPC code with rebate form..

the last 1 was Serenity...

just my horror story... so do what you want..
Old 08-02-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It might be worth checking out for 'Two Brothers' as well cos this one had a price drop effective today along with the other titles. If someone finds out, please let us know. thanks
Old 08-02-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ds6161
I've had 3 dift. rebates come back voided.. all for not including the UPC code with rebate form..

the last 1 was Serenity...

just my horror story... so do what you want..
All you have to do is call the number on the postcard. They will say "as a one time courtesy, we'll go ahead and process the rebates for you". They won't ask for any proof or anything. They initially refuse 90% of their rebates. They save LOTS of money by people not calling, so don't let them win. CALL THEM!
Old 08-02-06, 07:08 AM

I did call.. both times rejected & the 2nd time I asked to speak with a supervisor they got (lets say) very upset & I still got no help..

anyway this is a BS way to do business... be careful..

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.