Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - July '06

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - July '06

Old 07-13-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts
Also,the Rahxephon thinpak did not strip out all of the extras from the original DVDs, like later ADV thinpaks did. You still lose out on the cool booklet-inserts, though. I also highly recommend the series.
Old 07-13-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say go ahead and bite on RahXephon. DVDTalk's review.
Old 07-13-06, 05:28 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 326 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Thinking of picking up the RahXephon Complete Collection for my next series to watch, even more so now since I see it is on sale. Any thoughts on it?
Like Sweet Baby James said if you like Neon Genesis Evangelion, you should like RahXephon. I personally enjoyed the series. There is also a movie which I thought it was all right and the OVA was just a little something extra about Quon. RahXephon Theatrical Movie is on Right Stuf's bargin bin for $8.99. It's a movie primarily composed materials from the TV series.I would say $48.99 is a pretty reasonable price. The cheapest I have seen on this collection is about $46.39 @ DDD during their previous 20% off sale.
Old 07-13-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I would not recommend the movie if you're buying the series. I didn't realize that it was all pretty much recycled material from the show rather than something like, say, the Escaflowne movie. The art box and booklet that comes with it, are cool, however, if you buy that version (Limited Edition RahXephon Movie w/ art box @ Right Stuf for $12.99). IMO, that's a good price, but I guess it's not as useful unless you own the singles like I do. Anyway, I think you can do without the movie.
Old 07-13-06, 07:42 PM

Is there a way to find out if you're in the first 600 for Super Gals?
Old 07-13-06, 08:34 PM

I dont think so. Maybe you should email rightstuf and ask.
Old 07-13-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44
Is there a way to find out if you're in the first 600 for Super Gals?
It was announced this morning that the 600 threshold had been reached. I would reckon that it's a safe bet that you're in if you ordered before today.

I'm thinking about picking up a new series from the RS weekly specials and wanted some input. The three that I'm considering are Angelic Layer, Comic Party and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Any thoughts on these three shows would be very appreciated.
Old 07-13-06, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It was announced this morning that the 600 threshold had been reached. I would reckon that it's a safe bet that you're in if you ordered before today.

I'm thinking about picking up a new series from the RS weekly specials and wanted some input. The three that I'm considering are Angelic Layer, Comic Party and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Any thoughts on these three shows would be very appreciated.
I ordered Comic Party the other day, so im not sure on that one, but it sounds really good. I've seen Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi on G4 last year, and it was pretty good. I've heard good things about Angelic Layer, but never seen it. But im gonna order is pretty soon. But if i had to pick one out of the 3, i would go with Comic Party. It just sounds really good, plus you get a good amount of episodes for the price. Im sure that really didn't help much, just throwing in my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-06, 10:08 PM

Yay! DNAngel dvds are 7.99 in the Bargain Bin this week. Only five copies of vol.7 are left. But vol. 1 with box is not on Right Stuf's website anymore.
Old 07-13-06, 10:51 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

I thought Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi was pretty good and funny in some parts. However, I personally didn't like the cast for the English dub. I have Angelic Layer, but I have yet to watch it. I haven't seen Comic Party, so I can't comment anything on that!
Old 07-13-06, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
I thought Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi was pretty good and funny in some parts. However, I personally didn't like the cast for the English dub. I have Angelic Layer, but I have yet to watch it. I haven't seen Comic Party, so I can't comment anything on that!
I liked abenobashi alot ( I never watch the dub ), and I hate almost everything these days...

Oh and some idiot/saint bought my divergence eve for like 35 bucks on ebay...I guess some people will watch anything ( no offence to any lurkers who love it, everyone here seemed to universally pan it ).
Old 07-13-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blucadet3
I liked abenobashi alot ( I never watch the dub ), and I hate almost everything these days...

Oh and some idiot/saint bought my divergence eve for like 35 bucks on ebay...I guess some people will watch anything ( no offence to any lurkers who love it, everyone here seemed to universally pan it ).
Congrats on unloading Divergence Eve. It never ceases to amaze me when people will pay more on ebay than buying it new from an e-tailer[I guess that most people don't know about DVD Talk].

Thanks for the help Shin, WTK and blucadet. I'm leaning toward Magical Shopping Arcade. DDD has Angelic Layer for the same $30, so I can get that whenever I want for the same price[DDD doesn't even have the thinpak of MSA].
Old 07-13-06, 11:40 PM
WTK

Buy 3, Get 1 Free on Selected Anime/Manga @ Amazon.com
Old 07-13-06, 11:46 PM

Comic party was kinda nice, but the teen angst ruined it for me; I'm just sensitive to it (I hated it in NGE too).

Angelic layer is a great show to watch with kids, and I can only envy the kids who will one day have these things in real life. It's a little silly, but compared to all of the other duel shows it's a masterpiece. Out of those three, I'd get this one.

Magical shopping arcade was just too... random, with the heroes being whisked to a different genre every episode, and I didn't like the conclusion.

If you do order RahXephon, I think the movie (limited edition) is worth it if only for the huge booklet it comes with, that will help explain a lot of stuff from the show.

There's a RahXephon encyclopedia (whatever it's called) but mysteriously it only covers events up until episode 15.

Last edited by eldad9; 07-13-06 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, got it.
Old 07-14-06, 02:13 PM

My Naruto order from tlavideo.com arrived today and while the packing slip says it should be the uncut 3 disk set what they sent me was actually vol 1 of the edited version
Old 07-14-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts
What an odd sale. You can get your Hello Kitty vol. 1 free if you buy the Bondage Master, Big Boobs Buster, and Naughty Guide to Tokyo Nightlife. Who in the world chose the items for this sale, and how do they categorize "anime/manga?" I didn't even see any manga on there...
Old 07-14-06, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only seen bits and pieces of Magical Shopping Arcade, but of what I did see I absolutely loved it.
Old 07-14-06, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by grune
My Naruto order from tlavideo.com arrived today and while the packing slip says it should be the uncut 3 disk set what they sent me was actually vol 1 of the edited version
Damn. That's two now so far reporting getting the wrong thing. I was afraid of this. Mine still says it's awaiting stock.

Anyone get the uncut set?

Anyone successful in getting an exchange from their customer service?

I'm wondering if I should contact them and cancel the order before it ships, or if I might get the uncut set with some arguing if I wait it out.
Old 07-14-06, 05:38 PM

I sent them an email when i made that post, I havn't got a response yet, I hope they'll correct the mistake
Old 07-14-06, 10:34 PM
WTK

Toonami Jetstream is now offering free 1st episode of the following listed anime. Free episodes are available until 8/27/06.

- Hikaru no Go, Episode 1: Eternal Rivals
- MÄR, Episode 1: Open! Door to Another World!
- Naruto, Episode 1: Enter: Naruto Uzumaki!
- The Prince of Tennis, Episode 1: Be Cool

*In order to view this site, you will need Macromedia Flash 8 Player & Windows Media Player 10.
*Mozilla Firefox is not currently supported & Mac users are not supported.
Old 07-14-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WTK
Toonami Jetstream is now offering free 1st episode of the following listed anime. Free episodes are available until 8/27/06.
Thanks, got it!
Old 07-14-06, 11:55 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Is the Tenchi Universe set that Right stuff has on sale just like a re-imagining of the OVA series? I can get the OVA set from a friend, so was thinking about picking this up. Anyone watch all the Tenchi series. I heard that Tenchi Forever sucks. then I think it goes to GXP right? Any thoughts?
Having seen Tenchi Muyo! (OVA), Tenchi Universe, and Tenchi In Tokyo, as well as Tenchi Muyo In Love (Movie 1) and Tenchi Forever (Movie 3), I can honestly say that Tenchi Muyo! and Tenchi Universe are the best of the series. Each series has a slighly different backstory for how everyone meets Tenchi. The first two series' introduce each lady on an episode by episode basis as the series' progress, while Tenchi In Tokyo starts with Tenchi leaving home after he has already met the six ladies, and you don't find out how he met everyone until later in flashbacks.

While Tenchi Universe is somewhat a retelling of Tenchi Muyo!, it is still quite a bit different and is worth watching in addition to Tenchi Muyo! Tenchi In Tokyo, however, I would skip. Just isn't the same quality as the first two series'.

The movies, Tenchi in Love and Tenchi Forever are alright, but still pale in comparison to Tenchi Muyo! and Tenchi Universe. But I would say both are better than Tenchi In Tokyo.
Old 07-15-06, 12:54 AM

Just thought I would post a follow-up to an item from last month's thread. I took part in ADV's July 4th sale, but I had some trouble with the shopping cart system. I was worried that my order didn't go through, so I placed the order again and sent them an email telling them to cancel any previous orders. No order confirmation, no response from ADV. I sent another email the following week asking them to confirm that they received my initial email. Again, no response from ADV.

Well, a package from ADV showed up on my doorstep yesterday. The DVD cases were drilled through the barcodes, but I don't really mind that much. The strange thing is that while the order date is correct, the order number on the packing slip is different from the order number that I was given at the checkout screen. I would give them a call, but today's a Saturday. Besides, I hardly think that anybody would pick up on the other end at this point.

I hope that I don't receive another package from ADV on Monday. This entire experience has been irritating. My only hope is that others read this and think twice about participating in ADV's sales. They're just not worth the grief.
Old 07-15-06, 08:52 AM

Good luck with that. They still owe me a super milk chan v1 or a refund. I will never get either. They ignore me constantly and are snotty on the phone. "Our records show your order was shipped complete" is the last email I got from them and they wont reply to any emails or phone messages after that. They have lost a customer over 5 bucks plus shipping.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.