Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - July '06

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - July '06

Old 07-06-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts
I'm not sure the Rightstuf weekly specials are all up yet... it's still only a single page, and I haven't gotten the email yet, nor has Shawne posted on the Animeondvd boards.

That Giant Robo set is insanely cheap... even at the normal retail price. I'll be catching up on Ah My Goddess TV, maybe finishing twelve kingdoms, and starting GaoGaiGar. Also, for fans of Voltron, the first set of that is also up for pre-order.
Old 07-06-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, of course those aren't all the weekly specials. They go up little by little throughout the day. It won't be completed until there are at least 2 pages if not 3.
Old 07-06-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got my Gantz: Season 2 from Overstock today. That was pretty fast considering it came out on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, I forgot just how much I despise Overstock's packaging methods. They have to be the worst by far. It takes a ridiculous amount of effort to open it properly, and it's just... I'm just gonna say it--shitty. Luckily, all discs were intact, and the box looked pretty good except for one tiny indention. I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future when ordering box set type stuff.
Old 07-06-06, 07:09 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Got my Gantz: Season 2 from Overstock today. That was pretty fast considering it came out on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, I forgot just how much I despise Overstock's packaging methods. They have to be the worst by far. It takes a ridiculous amount of effort to open it properly, and it's just... I'm just gonna say it--shitty. Luckily, all discs were intact, and the box looked pretty good except for one tiny indention. I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future when ordering box set type stuff.
That's too bad! I would hope that my Overstock pre-order of Samurai 7 - Vol. 7: w/Collector's Box will ship better than yours did. I was going to pre-order it during the 15% off sale, but somehow I had a mysterious $5 voucher on my account and end paying $17.42 to finish the series.

I also just got Love Hina Perfect Collection from BuyRiteDVD. I was surprised that it was very loosely packaged inside a thin 10x12 padded envelope. I was fortunate enough that there wasn't even a scratch on the collection.

I also pre-ordered Barefoot Gen the Movies 1 & 2 from BestPrices.com for $15.46. Anyone who enjoyed watching Grave of the Fireflies should like this as well. I only have seen the first movie, but like Grave of the Fireflies it's rather gloomy and sad with the common theme of cruelty of war.
Old 07-06-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm... Thanks for the info on Barefoot Gen. I honestly knew nothing about it, but I really enjoyed Grave of the Fireflies, although it is one of those movies you can only watch once or twice in a lifetime, it seems. I watched it forever ago, and I remembered it being really sad, but I scored a copy for really cheap on eBay and watched it again a year or so ago, and I was sobbing even long after I had watched it!!! It really is one of those movies you should at least make it a point to see once in your life, but crikey. It breaks my heart. I'll definitely be looking into Barefoot Gen in the future.

I sure hope they package your Samurai 7 + art box better than my Gantz box set. At least that set is hard. Samurai 7 + art box will just be that one volume + the box, so if it's packaged like how they do a lot of stuff... I dunno. Hopefully it will get there just fine. A different packing method would be best. The way they do theirs is some large cardboard envelope contraption which has a lot of excess on the sides... It has two strips going up and down each side, and you use those to open it, but it's just a really cheap device for packing. I don't even know how to explain it. It's just a pain in the butt to open. I really can't stand it.
Old 07-06-06, 07:28 PM
WTK

Rightstuf's Weekly Specials:

- Azumanga Daioh DVD Box Set (Thinpak) - $39.99
- Ceres, Celestial Legend Collector's Edition DVD 1 (Hyb): Reincarnation - $29.99
- Ceres, Celestial Legend Collector's Edition DVD 2 (Hyb): Ascension - $29.99
- El Hazard: Alternative World DVD Box Special (Hyb) - $48.99
- Read or Die (R.O.D.) OVA DVD (Hyb) - $9.99
- Requiem from the Darkness DVD Collection (Hyb) - $48.99

Last edited by WTK; 07-06-06 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 07:47 PM
Cool New Member

When is the Overstock 15% off sale if you dont mind my asking?
Old 07-06-06, 07:47 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Kuma79
When is the Overstock 15% off sale if you dont mind my asking?
Unfortunately, it ended on 7/3/06!
Old 07-06-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
I had a mysterious $5 voucher on my account and end paying $17.42 to finish the series.
It was probably the $5 that Overstock gave out last year when they cancelled the Evangelion thinpak misprice. I still have the $5 on my account because I haven't made an order at Overstock since then.

Another good RS weekly is the SuperGALS! Season 1 thinpak for $26.99[the same price as it is at Best Buy]. You can get season 1 from RS to show your support for them licensing season 2.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...7925/4/153/100

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-06-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Added both of your recommendations.
Old 07-06-06, 08:33 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It was probably the $5 that Overstock gave out last year when they cancelled the Evangelion thinpak misprice. I still have the $5 on my account because I haven't made an order at Overstock since then.
You're right on the money on that, I had forgot about that Evangelion misprice from last year! I never found that $5 voucher last year and all of the sudden it showed up when I pre-ordered Samurai 7, Vol.7 w/box!
Old 07-06-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need a Recommendation

I just looked over the RS weekly specials and I need some advice. I'm going to pre-order SuperGALS! Season 2 [hopefully I'm in the first 600 so I can have my name included on the DVD] and I need to add something to reach the free shipping threshold. I've narrowed it down to Gantz Season 1[$41.99], Hand Maid May Box Set[$29.99] or Please Teacher Box Set[$29.99]. I enjoy all genres of anime including horror and harem. Any input would be most appreciated.
Old 07-06-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked Gantz a lot more than Please Teacher, but I would not start watching it unless I had season 2 in hand, and it does suffer from bad-anime-ending-syndrome - not as bad a some though. Please Teacher was quirky (good) and a little tedious, like it couldn't quite make up its mind about what kind of story it wanted to tell (bad). I haven't seen hand-maid-may so can't comment.
Old 07-06-06, 09:30 PM

I can't comment on the others, but I purchased Please Teacher! from TRSI a few months ago at that price, and I enjoyed it. If you watch a trailer of it, and you think you'll like it, you probably will. It has some pretty funny moments; mainly with his aunt and uncle.

I think you can get Gantz cheaper elsewhere with the $10 Google coupon, and I know nothing of Hand Maid May, so there's my opinion. I'm also in a jam with the free shipping. I'm looking to pick up vols 2-4, 6-7 of Chrono Crusade and need something $10+...

Oh, and to those who bashed Divergence Eve last month, I just finished it today and I thought it was pretty good. I really didn't like the first episode either, but come on, you can't pass judgment after one episode of a series, the first episode wasn't indicative of it's overall quality. I am definitely interested in checking out the 2nd season.

Gotta say I really don't like ADV's thinpacks though. Once you watch something like Infinite Ryvius' crapload of extras and then you get nothing, it annoys me. Come on? Not even a textless opening/ending? Lame.
Old 07-06-06, 09:31 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I just looked over the RS weekly specials and I need some advice. I'm going to pre-order SuperGALS! Season 2 [hopefully I'm in the first 600 so I can have my name included on the DVD] and I need to add something to reach the free shipping threshold. I've narrowed it down to Gantz Season 1[$41.99], Hand Maid May Box Set[$29.99] or Please Teacher Box Set[$29.99]. I enjoy all genres of anime including horror and harem. Any input would be most appreciated.
I have both Gantz Season 1 & 2, but I haven't got a chance to watch them yet. I haven't seen Hand Maid May. Please Teacher is an enjoyable series with its own funny moments. Of the three, I would probably suggest Gantz Season 1. Since Elfen Lied is your #1 anime, I am sure you won't mind the graphic violence from Gantz. If you still can't make a decision and don't mind Shoujo, you might want to take a look to see if you like either Loveless or Sukisho.

Originally Posted by Ndolger
I'm also in a jam with the free shipping. I'm looking to pick up vols 2-4, 6-7 of Chrono Crusade and need something $10+...
How about trying Giant Robo Complete DVD Economy Set (Hyb). It will be $14.97 after the 40% off coupon.

Last edited by WTK; 07-07-06 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't gotten to watch my Hand Maid May or Please Teacher box sets yet, but I have gotten the chance to watch Gantz: Season 1, which I thought was pretty cool. Definitely unlike anything I've seen. Really looking forward to watching Season 2. As for the mention of those Google checkout coupons--I'm pretty sure they expired? Maybe not, but I remember someone saying they might expire on the 4th.

So, since I can't vouch for the other two at the moment, I'd say get Gantz. And the good thing is that they'll ship that part of your order out first (I picked up Gatchaman along with Super GALS! S2 and Gatcha shipped out today).
Old 07-06-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think that I'll pass on Gantz for now. BB has each season for $45 and I'm hoping for another Animerica 30% off coupon[$31.50 each would be sweet]. I think that I might pony up a little extra cash and go for the Tenchi Universe set at $50. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I honestly really can't imagine that 30% off coupon making a return, but I guess that's just me. That was just a way too ridiculously cool thing.
Old 07-06-06, 10:49 PM

Tenchi's always a good choice. Perhaps one day I'll upgrade from my taped Toonami VHS versions (Muyo, Universe, Tokyo) to DVD at some point. =P

As for the Google coupons, yeah, the DVDempire coupon expired, but others are still active. Can anyone vouch on the quality of Giant Robo? AnimeOnDVD gave it an A+, but I'd like to hear opinions from others.

Oh, and the CAG forums are reporting a restock of Anime titles at Big Lots! I'll go and try to check it out tomorrow.
Old 07-06-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A+ from AOD is pretty damn good. I myself really enjoy the series, and I think it's a shame that rarely anyone I ever talk to about anime mentions it or has even seen it. At that price, it's a no brainer.
Old 07-06-06, 11:35 PM

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts
I really liked Hand Maid May. It's a sweet lighthearted comedy with lots of fanservice. I liked it so much, I bought the DVD Box Set after I watched the series. AOD basically gives the series a B+.
Old 07-07-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Giant Robo. It just seemed so incoherent and extremely grating. That kind of reaction is very rare for me, the closest I can remember was Overman King Gainer - I watched the entire first disc but just barely made it through for pretty much the same reasons as I gave up on Giant Robo.
Old 07-07-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts
WTK, I think you're getting Please Teacher and Please Twins mixed up... Twins is the follow-up to Teacher, and the synopsis you provided sounds like it's for Twins.

Jah-Wren... you didn't like Giant Robo? The first episode is a little chaotic... but it's meant to be. It's supposed to be a little like Star Wars, where you start in the middle of a longer story, and they catch you up as they go along. I guess the fanboy in me also got a kick out of seeing all of Yokoyama's characters combined in a shared universe.
Old 07-07-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ndolger
Tenchi's always a good choice. Perhaps one day I'll upgrade from my taped Toonami VHS versions (Muyo, Universe, Tokyo) to DVD at some point. =P

As for the Google coupons, yeah, the DVDempire coupon expired, but others are still active. Can anyone vouch on the quality of Giant Robo? AnimeOnDVD gave it an A+, but I'd like to hear opinions from others.

Oh, and the CAG forums are reporting a restock of Anime titles at Big Lots! I'll go and try to check it out tomorrow.
DVDEmpire coupon was working for me yesterday again, so may want to check again.
Old 07-07-06, 01:52 PM

Hah, you know what I did? I checked it after using it once. Silly me. It obviously wasn't going to work as it's a one-time coupon. Others said it expired on July 4th, but if it's still up, that's good news.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.