Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) $10 off $20: DVDEmpire CDUniverse BestPrices.com Eforcity(Google Checkout)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) $10 off $20: DVDEmpire CDUniverse BestPrices.com Eforcity(Google Checkout)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I preordered The Pee Wee Herman Show and The Naked Trucker Show: Live at the Troubadour (both released on July 11) for $12.87 at DVD Empire. I wanted to order Arrested Development: Season 3 for $13.04, but I wasn't sure if they charged immediately (which they haven't so far).
Old 06-29-06, 12:13 PM

I just used the DVD Empire coupon for a pre-order of Ren & Stimpy: The Lost Episodes. They have it listed as "Red & Stimpy." Grand total of $12.62, including shipping.
Old 06-29-06, 12:19 PM

Cool! I just ordered the first Wolf's Rain Anime Legends set for $15.57 shipped.

Awesome deal, thanks!
Old 06-29-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone see where the google checkout button is on cduniverse? I can't find it.
Old 06-29-06, 12:27 PM

"This coupon (1167311) does not apply"

Why is this happening with my DVD Empire order on the Google checkout page? Help please.
Old 06-29-06, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
does anyone see where the google checkout button is on cduniverse? I can't find it.
Yeah, I don't see it either. Hmm.

Anyone?
Old 06-29-06, 12:36 PM

I'm shocked. I can't find anything that actually saves me the $10. Shipping or higher prices than other etailers on new release DVDs makes the savings minimal.

You can't purchase Starbucks gift cards online, so that's also out the window. Nice promotion in theory, I guess.
Old 06-29-06, 12:39 PM

Ok, to get the Google Checkout button to appear on CD Universe, just click this link:

http://www.cduniverse.com/promo/prom...uy10&from=gbuy

I went to Google's site and copied their link on the promotion's page. You should see a Google Checkout banner on their site now.
Old 06-29-06, 12:51 PM

great deal. I got 3 dvds which would cost a total of $10 after $5 dividend and 10 off. Thanks
Old 06-29-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I'm shocked. I can't find anything that actually saves me the $10. Shipping or higher prices than other etailers on new release DVDs makes the savings minimal.

You can't purchase Starbucks gift cards online, so that's also out the window. Nice promotion in theory, I guess.
I was in the same boat. I spent probably a half hour trying to find something that I actually save money on. I've seen you in the game forum(I think). Not sure if you have a 360 or not, but they have 1600 Marketplace points right at $20, making them $12.05 shipped. Excellent deal.
Old 06-29-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So does anyone have suggestions on what to get that would actually be a good deal? DVDs or PSP games?
Old 06-29-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Thanks, op. Picked up:

1600 Xbox Live Marketplace Points (dvdempire) - $12.05
Big Brain Academy DS(cduniverse) - $14.24
Old 06-29-06, 01:09 PM

Rather than post this twice, I'll link to it.

link
(OT discussion about giving Google your credit card info.)
Old 06-29-06, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
"This coupon (1167311) does not apply"

Why is this happening with my DVD Empire order on the Google checkout page? Help please.
Nevermind. It worked. Here's my order.

1 Bus 174 - DVD-Video $9.51
1 Chinatown - DVD-Video $6.99
1 Original Kings & Queens Of Comedy, The: Laugh Pack - DVD-Video $6.99
Congratulations! You just saved $10! -$10.00
Shipping & Handling (Standard Shipping): $0.00
Tax (FL): $0.00
Total: $13.49
Old 06-29-06, 01:56 PM
D1
Cool New Member

I want to order Perils Of Gwendoline, The: Unrated Director's Cut but on the DVD Empire check out page, the "Google Checkout" logo is dimmed with text "not available for these items".

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Help please.
Old 06-29-06, 02:00 PM

Whats the catch of creating a Google account? Does it cost anything to sign up? I don't feel very confident about giving them all my personal info.
Old 06-29-06, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by D1
I want to order Perils Of Gwendoline, The: Unrated Director's Cut but on the DVD Empire check out page, the "Google Checkout" logo is dimmed with text "not available for these items".

Help please.
Are you signed in to a DVD Empire account?

Originally Posted by jigga6286
Whats the catch of creating a Google account? Does it cost anything to sign up? I don't feel very confident about giving them all my personal info.
It doesn't cost anything. It's just a convenience thing. Google probably has an agreement with the retailers to get a % of all sales made through their checkout.

Last edited by yeldarb367; 06-29-06 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by D1

Help please.
Yes, it is doing this for me as well. I have been putting different items in my cart trying to find a decent deal, and on some items I get the same problems you did. I thought it was for preorders, but other preorders are allowed to check out.

For example, if you put in the preorder for Criterion Kicking and Screaming, Google Checkout is dimmed and won't let the order go through. Strange.
Old 06-29-06, 02:07 PM

Thanks.

Got Fellini's "I Vitelloni" CC for $12.37 shipped at DVD Empire.
Old 06-29-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is the "don't sign in first" rule for DVDEmpire apply for CDUniverse as well? Or do you have to sign in first for CDUniverse? I don't see any icon for googlecheckout while on CDUniverse's website.
Old 06-29-06, 02:20 PM
D1
Cool New Member

[QUOTE=yeldarb367]Are you signed in to a DVD Empire account?

Yes, I did sign in to my account. Any idea?
Old 06-29-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't sign into your account.
Old 06-29-06, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by D1
Originally Posted by yeldarb367
Are you signed in to a DVD Empire account?
Yes, I did sign in to my account. Any idea?
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Don't sign into your account.
Ditto.
Old 06-29-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what about CDUniverse, anyone?

EDIT: nevermind. I figured it out. You have to sign in to your google checkout account first, then click on the link for "merchants that accept googlecheckout" then find "CD Universe" and click on it, THEN you can check out using googlecheckout.

Last edited by runner001; 06-29-06 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 02:45 PM

LA Times has this article about the new Google Service:

Google Offers Web Payment System
By Chris Gaither
Times Staff Writer

June 29, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO — Google Inc. plans to introduce a long-anticipated payment system for Internet purchases today as the search-engine giant attempts to wriggle into all facets of life online.

Google Checkout will let Web shoppers save their credit card and shipping information in a Google account, then quickly buy products from participating merchants, including Starbucks Corp., Jockey.com Inc. and Buy.com Inc.

Analysts and Google rivals had expected Checkout to compete head-on against EBay Inc.'s PayPal, which holds buyers' cash for online transactions. However, the service, outlined Wednesday, also resembles Amazon.com Inc.'s 1-Click ordering system, but for the broader Web.

Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt has often said that Google searchers are only one click away from defecting to competing services. Storing their credit cards in Checkout ties them a little more closely to the company. "There's a convenience and loyalty" involved in the relationship, said Internet analyst Greg Sterling.

Google plans to take a 2% cut of all transactions, but the Mountain View, Calif.-based firm will offer substantial subsidies to merchants who use AdWords, Google's advertising system that places keyword-based ads alongside search results.

The company will allow merchants to conduct fee-free transactions worth 10 times the amount they spend on Google ads. For example, a merchant spending $1,000 a month on Google ads would engage in $10,000 in transactions through Checkout before paying a commission.

More searches and faster purchases could attract more advertising dollars, said Salar Kamangar, vice president of product management at Google. The company reported profit of $1.5 billion last year on sales of $6.1 billion — 99% of which came from advertising.

"I really think it's important for Google, as it matures its company, to come up with revenue streams other than advertising, and this is big," said Allen Weiner, an analyst with technology researcher Gartner Inc. "It's a nice, predictable revenue stream that will go a long way as more and more competitors come in and offer advertising."

Participating merchants will be designated by a green shopping cart icon in their search-engine ads.

"It unifies the customer experience," said Chris Smith, a vice president with Jockey.com, the online unit of underwear seller Jockey International Inc. "It doesn't make search a completely independent event from the buying."

The service also seeks to address Web surfers' concerns about identity theft, spam and other issues. Google will charge customer credit cards on behalf of merchants, Kamangar said, so buyers can avoid giving their payment information and e-mail addresses to unfamiliar vendors.

"It's really all about trust," said Sterling, founding principal of Sterling Market Intelligence. "If Google can establish that, then this will be adopted."

A spokeswoman for EBay's PayPal unit said the company does not comment on rivals' products, but she noted that PayPal processed $27.5 billion in transactions last year. During the first quarter of 2006, one-third of PayPal business was conducted through merchants including Apple Computer Inc. and Dell Inc. The rest was on EBay.

Google struck a deal to have Citigroup Inc.'s Citi Cards promote Checkout on its website and encourage its credit card customers to use the service by offering reward points or cash back for signing up.

"Concerns with security on the Web are as high as they've ever been, so the timing is perfect," said Rob Rosenblatt, an e-business executive with Citi Cards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.