Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ultraman Box Set almost 50% off at DDD or Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 02:43 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Ultraman Box Set almost 50% off at DDD or Amazon

I just bought my copy at Amazon with the free Amazon Prime shipping trial. This is the new 3 disc set of the original Ultraman series.

$21.77 at DDD

$20.89 at Amazon

Old 06-20-06, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWEET!

Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-20-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in. Thanks!
Old 06-20-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is news that's gets my warning light to rapidly blink. Can't wait!
Old 06-21-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What about Zebraman?
Old 06-21-06, 03:20 AM

I ordered. This is my 4th order today, trying to get all my preorders in before my prime trial runs out! Thanks OP.

Anyone know how many episodes this volume will have?
Old 06-21-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joekun
I ordered. This is my 4th order today, trying to get all my preorders in before my prime trial runs out! Thanks OP.

Anyone know how many episodes this volume will have?
According to TVShowsonDVD.com, this set will have 20 uncut episodes, with the remaining 19 in the original series to come later.
Old 06-21-06, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand that a lot of people will pick this up out of nostalgia, but would anyone recommend it as a blind buy for someone who hasn't seen it?
Old 06-21-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I understand that a lot of people will pick this up out of nostalgia, but would anyone recommend it as a blind buy for someone who hasn't seen it?
I dunno if I'd recommend it as a blind buy. It's cheesy, and it's guys fighting in rubber suits around scale models of Tokyo. I mean, I love it, but I can't separate myself from my nostalgia.

Do you like Sentai?
Old 06-21-06, 02:44 PM

Amazon also has Brentwood's FLASH GORDON - ANIMATED SERIES at $20 as well! That's the really good Filmation show from the late '70s.
Old 06-21-06, 09:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Ever wonder why it's taken so long for this to come out on R1 DVD, especially since other Ultra titles have been out for quite some time? You can read the sordid details in Henshin!Online's 2004 archive. Scroll down to the 1/2/2004 article.

There is still speculation that this release won't see the light of day.
Old 06-22-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It does worry me a little that this is being put out by a studio (Brentwood) that I have never heard of before, and which apparently had previously focused on public domain works. You'd think they wouldn't get this far (getting a listing on amazon with boxart) without settling all legal disputes, but who knows?

Then again, before their Kikaider release, I had never heard of JN Productions, and they've done an excellent job on not only Kikaider, but also Kamen Rider V3.
Old 06-22-06, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure what all this has to do with the bargain, if it gets released it gets released, but if you want to know more check out the Feb 10th entry here
Old 06-22-06, 03:13 PM

Just to make things easy here is the relevant passage:

CM: Yeah, I really would have loved to release the series... When I got to BCI, I had a friend talk to Tsuburaya about the original ULTRAMAN series. He was told that the US video rights were now with a Thai company. We had a friend in Thailand locate the company and we began talks on acquiring the series.

H!O: Because of this on-going dispute, what kind of checking into the rights was performed and who was responsible for these procedures?

CM: Well, the litigation between the two companies concerned us. As a public company, we didn't want to acquire something that would end up in further litigation, so we had our lawyers and the sales agent that acquired the title from Chaiyo read all the documents from the courts in Japan.

H!O: Are your lawyers who read these documents located in Los Angeles or Thailand?

CM: Our lawyer is in Los Angeles, and the person who read all the Japanese court documents speaks fluent Japanese.

H!O: How do you feel about Tsuburaya Productions' situation in all of this?

CM: I would much rather be working with Tsuburaya. No doubt about it.

I think our release would be more complete having the creators of the show work with us to create our DVD release. I think it's unfortunate that the creators of the show do not have the rights to their creation, but as a fan of the show, I wanted to see it get a Region 1 release and the people that had the rights were Chaiyo.
Old 06-22-06, 04:32 PM

I dunno if I'd recommend it as a blind buy. It's cheesy, and it's guys fighting in rubber suits around scale models of Tokyo. I mean, I love it, but I can't separate myself from my nostalgia.
If you love old Godzilla movies, youll love this. Cant hurt, if you dont like it, you can probably get most of your money back listing it on ebay.
Old 06-22-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to love this as kid...thought it was"rad" ofcourse cheesy effects and low budgets looked great on my old 19 inch tv .. too afraid to watch it now as
probally ruin my childhood memories just like watching Land of the Lost again would.
Old 06-22-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
We just need Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot now!
Old 06-23-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Old 06-23-06, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
It does worry me a little that this is being put out by a studio (Brentwood) that I have never heard of before, and which apparently had previously focused on public domain works. You'd think they wouldn't get this far (getting a listing on amazon with boxart) without settling all legal disputes, but who knows?
BCI has released many titles NOT in the public domain. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not legit -- in fact they've been around for quite a while.
Old 06-23-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
BCI has released many titles NOT in the public domain. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not legit -- in fact they've been around for quite a while.
I understand that... I was going by what someone said in an Amazon review. I'm just surprised that a bigger company didn't get ahold of this license... can you give us an example of what else BCI has released? Just worries me a little that there's some kind of big legal battle under the surface here.

Didn't mean to imply that they weren't legit... certainly if they're being listed at amazon and such, they're not bootlegging or anything.
Old 06-23-06, 12:26 PM
Cool New Member

Brentwood/BCI handles the recent He-Man cartoon releases, amongst others, I believe...
Old 06-24-06, 10:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
What about Zebraman?
Media Blasters will be releasing Miike's Zebraman. SciFi Japan has details.
I'm just surprised that a bigger company didn't get ahold of this license...
Isn't that odd? Hmmmm...
Didn't mean to imply that they weren't legit... certainly if they're being listed at amazon
While BCI may be legit, being listed on Amazon does not equate to a certificate of legitimacy. A couple/few years back, they listed decidedly illegitimate discs of "Ghidra" The Three Headed Monster and Mothra vs. Godzilla by "CineVu".
Old 06-24-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I agree 100%, but I thought it was Giant Robot. Am I getting that senile?
Old 06-24-06, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I agree 100%, but I thought it was Giant Robot. Am I getting that senile?

It was a big robot, though.
Old 06-24-06, 02:42 PM

I understand that... I was going by what someone said in an Amazon review. I'm just surprised that a bigger company didn't get ahold of this license... can you give us an example of what else BCI has released? Just worries me a little that there's some kind of big legal battle under the surface here.

Didn't mean to imply that they weren't legit... certainly if they're being listed at amazon and such, they're not bootlegging or anything.
Fuji, I know what you mean. Over the last couple of years, though, they've had legit releases of obscure/cult titles like the AFTERSCHOOL SPECIALS and all the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE cartoons among other titles. Nothing too major, obviously, but with those types of nostalgic titles, it's not shocking that they're dabbling into a real cult title like Ultraman.

I also know an Amazon listing doesn't guarantee "authenticity" but in this case BCI/Brentwood *seems* to be stepping up to the plate big-time, not just with ULTRAMAN but also the Filmation titles (FLASH GORDON, BLACKSTAR, etc.) they've legitimately licensed. I hope their set is as good as it sounds (with extras, etc.).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.