Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '06

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '06

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BERSERK is a very good show, although somewhat of a frustrating one since they were never able to do a second season in order to bring the storyline to a fitting conclusion.

And, yes, the alpha case sucks.

Also, like many shows based on manga, the original source material is superior to the anime, boasting a more graphically violent and perverse storyline (that borders on hentai at times) and featuring superb artwork that the anime does a good job of recreating, but still can't quite match. Anyway, you'll have to read the manga if you want to really find out how the storyline ends.

If you enjoy BERSERK, I'd also recommend the upcoming release of BASILISK, which is another grim and violent series aimed at an adult audience. Since it's about ninjas, it's been compared to NINJA SCROLL, although I think it's far superior. It also sticks rather faithfully to the manga.
Old 06-30-06, 06:01 AM
Cool New Member

Credit to rcpettit @ CAG.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....cid=97285&fp=F

15% coupon off entire order, any item. Seems like it's a 1-day only coupon. It doesn't appear until you are checking out at the Billing/Shipping screen.
Old 06-30-06, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! I was in the middle of putting together an order for the $10 off $20 at Dvd Empire but I think I'll hold off on that for a bit now.
Old 06-30-06, 08:38 AM

Actually, I changed my mind. I really couldn't find much over there, plus it wouldn't let me use the free shipping code. Back to Dvd Empire....
Old 06-30-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Updated.
Old 06-30-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I found a slew of coupons for Overstock--Most expire today except for the Free Shipping coupon. Unfortunately, you cannot stack any of the coupons. The 15% coupon expires today at 2 PM EST, so if you want something, I'd get it sooner rather than later. I went ahead and bit on the Gantz: Season 2 Box Set. If you look at the second post in the thread, there's a whole bunch of thinpacks and stuff that are cheapest at Overstock as is, so any of those would make for good purchases. The Gantz: Season 2 Box Set came out to be $36.37 (cheaper than DDD's 20% off price but not cheaper than 30% off BB's price if they ever get that coupon again, which I don't think is likely anyhow). It comes close enough to DVD Empire's price with the $10 off $20 coupon (I already used it on a Criterion) if you only buy one thing instead of 3 for free shipping.

Anyway, that was way too long of an explanation. I've just been wanting to see Gantz: Season 2 for a while now, so it was a good purchase for me.

That's a pretty good coupon, so thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-30-06, 10:14 AM

Holly, yeah, I was hoping the free shipping code would work (not the link but the 5 digit code) but no luck. That was just enough to turn me away....$1.40, lol, I know that sounds bad but there was only paltry savings on the stuff I was looking at to begin with. But hey, I did think of you and almost bit on the Full Metal Panic collection but I can get it for close to the same price later on.

Last edited by The Reaper; 06-30-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I understand. The $1.40 was almost enough to turn me away, but when I realized the coupon was going to expire sooner than I thought plus the fact that I'd been wanting to see it for a while (even if similar savings could probably be found later on), I figured I was going to get it at some point anyway, so why not?

I hope you do pick up FMP sometime in the future (if not now, then later)! I bet you could get the free shipping code to work if you set up another account, but maybe not. If you've used the code before on your account, it most definitely will not work, but if it's still active, you might be able to stack. It's worth a shot!
Old 06-30-06, 10:30 AM

Nah, I've never used the code before. It said invalid. I just don't think it will let you use it with the 15% off because they're truly evil or it can't stack with a link.

But I will definitely get FMP eventually. As it stands now, though, I've got so many unwatched series to attempt to get through.....Princess Nine, Kaleido Star, Sailor Moon Seasons 1, 3 & 4 (never could get 2, too damn high now), Blue Seed, Witch Hunter Robin (still need 2 more volumes), Virus, the second half of Twelve Kingdoms, Chrono Crusade, Gundam Seed (need 6 volumes, that's not happening anytime soon), Steel Angel Kurumi (couldn't really get into what I watched of it, might pass on it altogether) and finally.......Samurai Deeper Kyo. Whew!
Old 06-30-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I feel ya there! I'm working on Kaleido Star at the moment, and when my dad returns from visiting my brother, we're going to finish up Wolf's Rain (FINALLY). If I can get my hands on a copy of Vol. 4 of Planetes, we'll be watching the last 3 volumes of that... Yeah, much like you, I have too much I need to wade through at the moment as well, which is probably why I won't end up purchasing Gatchaman as much as I'd like to.
Old 06-30-06, 10:49 AM

I was looking through the cheap thinpaks on the first page and noticed that Azumanga Daioh is cheaper at Overstock instead of Best Buy. Here's the link:

Azumanga Daioh: Class Album: $41.14
Old 06-30-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for pointing that out. Some of the prices have probably changed since I posted them. It's always good to use DVD Price Search just to check against my prices in case someone else has it for lower. I'll correct that now. Also, about to post an update on a new ADV sale. Hopefully the prices will actually be worthy of being part of a sale! Lately they have been extremely expensive, IMO, at least compared to in the past.
Old 06-30-06, 11:05 AM

I had to bite on the Wolf's Rain Collection I from DVD Empire for $15.57 shipped after the $10 Google Checkout coupon.

/me crosses fingers for a similar deal when II comes out.
Old 06-30-06, 11:28 AM

Checked out the ADV sale, again nothing interesting. Lowest prices I saw on there was the Azumanga Daioh Collection ($31) and Najica ($16). Too bad I already have them.

Heh, it's nice to see ADV realizes NOBODY is going to buy single volumes for $19 when they're supposed to be on SALE. They're down to $12 for most of the new stuff now. DNAngel is down to $9 a volume for some reason. Still not great especially when you can get most of them at Rightstuf for $7-8. I'm hoping one of these days Rightstuf or ADV will put up Rahxephon vol 7 or FMP vol 6, buy they never do. =P
Old 06-30-06, 12:13 PM

Very few Lain left at righstuf so if you want it you better jump on it soon. I think there were only 22 in stock when I last checked.
Old 06-30-06, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ndolger
Heh, it's nice to see ADV realizes NOBODY is going to buy single volumes for $19 when they're supposed to be on SALE. They're down to $12 for most of the new stuff now. DNAngel is down to $9 a volume for some reason. Still not great especially when you can get most of them at Rightstuf for $7-8.
Ack, almost gave me a heart attack. Thought you meant Right Stuf had DNAngel for $7-8. *goes back searching for vol. 6 and 7 cheap*
Old 06-30-06, 06:02 PM

Oh no, no. I can definitely see why I confused you though. Sorry about that. =E

This google checkout thing has me interested. You're telling me I can get $10 off an order and get a $5 credit on my citi card? What's the catch?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good deal? Gokusen Complete Collection and Galaxy Angel Z are the best I've found on DVDempire. Perhaps the Utena Apocalypse Saga as well, if they had it in stock. I'm not getting burned again by another "DVDpacific: Divergence Eve".

Edit: There already are recommedations. Nice. Getting GA:Z for $5 (I already have another $5 credit on my citi card) is pretty tempting.

Last edited by Ndolger; 06-30-06 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD Empire is reputable. I've ordered Criterions from them before (which is what I ordered this time around, too), so don't worry about another DVD Pacific happening.
Old 06-30-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW - I agree - nobody's perfect, but DVD Empire has a lot more credibility than DVD Pacific. It would take an amazingly good deal (far better than DivEve was) to get me to order from DVD Pacific, but I have no qualms about the Empire.
Old 06-30-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey there, I just started an Anime discussion thread over in the DVD Talk subforum. Please pay a visit and post your top 10 lists[I'm always on the look-out for new anime series to try].

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470452
Old 06-30-06, 10:15 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts
Here is what I placed for the $10 off $20 order:

DVD Empire:
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - Special Edition (Anime Legends) - $12.48
Puss 'N Boot - $15.84
Final Total: $20.87

CD Universe:
Ah! My Goddess - Vol. 6: Last Dance - $20.97
Final Total: $13.96
Old 06-30-06, 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Ndolger]Oh no, no. I can definitely see why I confused you though. Sorry about that. =E
QUOTE]

No worries. ^^ Just been looking for those last two for awhile and $16 more would get me free shipping. =D *goes back to do more order juggling*
Old 07-01-06, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Well, I found a slew of coupons for Overstock--Most expire today except for the Free Shipping coupon. Unfortunately, you cannot stack any of the coupons. The 15% coupon expires today at 2 PM EST, so if you want something, I'd get it sooner rather than later. I went ahead and bit on the Gantz: Season 2 Box Set. If you look at the second post in the thread, there's a whole bunch of thinpacks and stuff that are cheapest at Overstock as is, so any of those would make for good purchases. The Gantz: Season 2 Box Set came out to be $36.37 (cheaper than DDD's 20% off price but not cheaper than 30% off BB's price if they ever get that coupon again, which I don't think is likely anyhow). It comes close enough to DVD Empire's price with the $10 off $20 coupon (I already used it on a Criterion) if you only buy one thing instead of 3 for free shipping.

Anyway, that was way too long of an explanation. I've just been wanting to see Gantz: Season 2 for a while now, so it was a good purchase for me.

That's a pretty good coupon, so thanks for the heads up!
Placed an order for Gantz: season 2 as well. Funny thing, I checked my order status and it seem like they already shipped it out today. Got the tracking number for my package already. Talk about fast. It wasn't even suppost to come out yet.
Old 07-01-06, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
DVD Empire is reputable. I've ordered Criterions from them before (which is what I ordered this time around, too), so don't worry about another DVD Pacific happening.
DVD Empire and DVD Pacific are both excellent e-tailers in my book. DVD Pacific is my fave though only because prices are generally better there than at Empire excepting when they have some specials goings like this great Google one. Combine that with free shipping and you have a bargain!
Old 07-01-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many of us have had frustrating experiences with DVD Pacific which is why I said that. Anyway, it's a new month, and that means it's time for a new thread! So, folks, please start posting there from here on about (about to throw it up).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.