Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '06

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '06

Old 06-11-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
is this something that a 7 year old girl might enjoy. she loves all things miyazaki and studio ghibli and is very bright....she's enthralled by anime in general, but i'm clueless. She broke her arm pretty badly and I want to order some things for her to help take the suck out of messing up the first half of her summer....so i'm looking for the most bang for the buck, and this looks promising.
Eh, prolly not. KINO'S JOURNEY is for teens and older, I'd say.

I'd suggest ANGELIC LAYER or PRETEAR.
Old 06-11-06, 04:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
According to ANN, Funimation is releasing FMP-The Second Raid. The first volume should be released on October 3.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...se.php?id=1737
oops wrong pannel
Old 06-11-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this something that a 7 year old girl might enjoy. she loves all things miyazaki and studio ghibli and is very bright....she's enthralled by anime in general, but i'm clueless. She broke her arm pretty badly and I want to order some things for her to help take the suck out of messing up the first half of her summer....so i'm looking for the most bang for the buck, and this looks promising.

any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Kino's Journey is definitely not a kid's show. Think Star Trek or the Outer Limits - tales of what happens when a society...for example...can all read minds. Or get rid of art. Cannibalism. Etc. Lot of adult themes you wouldn't want a kid watching.
Old 06-11-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brizz,

Honestly, I would NOT recommend Kino's Journey to a 7-year-old girl. There is some pretty mature content and philosophic speak that wouldn't really be appropriate or probably entertaining to a child (even a bright one). That is just my opinion. I would think that something like... Kaleido Star would be a good choice for both older and younger viewers. I haven't seen the series myself, but I did just order it, and I have seen several others boasting on its quality. You might want to wait for the opinions of others before making a choice, though. They might think Kino's Journey is perfectly suitable, but like I said, I'd suggest something like Kaleido Star instead. Hope that helps!

Others have mentioned shows like Pretear. I also think that would be a good choice, and that is a title I can personally vouch for.

But yes, very strong adult themes in Kino's Journey.
Old 06-11-06, 04:52 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 527 Likes on 464 Posts

Kino's Journey is not intended for a 7-year-old. DNAngel, Love Hina, Super GALS, Strawberry Eggs, or Pretear may work. Otherwise another series you could look at would be Kamichu. It has been drawn comparisons to Miyazaki's work. However only one volume has been released so far. If she is interested in older Miyazaki/Takahata/Ghibli-related works, maybe Puss n' Boots, Animal Treasure Island, or Taro the Dragon Boy.
Old 06-11-06, 04:54 PM

Definately not for kids. I would recommend Fruits Basket. Everyone in my family who have seen this show has loved it. Or Kamichu, it has a very Miyazaki look-and-feel to it. Don't know if you're familiar with Redwall. My local PBS station use to show it. S1 is only $10 AC.

Old 06-11-06, 04:57 PM

Somehow, I have a hard time picturing 7-year olds as the target audience for Love Hina, Super Gals or Strawberry Eggs.

Originally Posted by WTK
Kino's Journey is not intended for a 7-year-old. DNAngel, Love Hina, Super GALS, Strawberry Eggs, or Pretear may work. Otherwise another series you could look at would be Kamichu. It has been drawn comparisons to Miyazaki's work. However only one volume has been released so far. If she is interested in older Miyazaki/Takahata/Ghibli-related works, maybe Puss n' Boots, Animal Treasure Island, or Taro the Dragon Boy.
Old 06-11-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys....Pretear and Angelic Layer seem to be the best choices for her (and something we can afford right now )...I appreciate the feedback!
Old 06-11-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fruits Basket sounds like a good suggestion too IMO.
Old 06-12-06, 05:46 AM

As part of my first order, I got the Chrono Crusade and Kaleido Star collections. Kaleido is on backorder, though. I may order one more, though......we shall see.
Old 06-12-06, 11:02 AM
Cool New Member

Another vote for Fruits Basket. I wasn't all that impressed with it (it didn't seem to go anywhere,) but my third and fourth graders talk about it all the time. (I'm a teacher.) Also, make sure she's got all of the Miyazaki/Takahata stuff. It's all great.

As for Love Hina and Strawberry Eggs...umm...not really appropriate.
Old 06-12-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ran across this over at AOD, DVDPacific has the Divergence Eve thinpak that comes out tomorrow for $13.64 plus shipping.

www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=725214
Old 06-12-06, 04:00 PM
Cool New Member

I just ran across this over at AOD, DVDPacific has the Divergence Eve thinpak that comes out tomorrow for $13.64 plus shipping.

bless your heart
Old 06-12-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Just placed my order for $16.XX after shipping. It's cheaper compared w/ DDD 20% sales
Old 06-12-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, thanks! I saw this the other day on DVD Price Search but I totally forgot to update. I think I'll pass for now but I know others will be (and already are) interested.
Old 06-12-06, 05:14 PM

Thus far, I've completely boycotted these ADV thinpacks because I refuse to accept a lesser version of the same series (no extras, fewer discs -- more compression).

But, since this is a show that I've never heard of, didn't get an artbox on its original run, and had very few extras to begin with, I went ahead and ordered.

Anyone know for sure if extras are removed from this?
Old 06-12-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamelore
Thus far, I've completely boycotted these ADV thinpacks because I refuse to accept a lesser version of the same series (no extras, fewer discs -- more compression).

But, since this is a show that I've never heard of, didn't get an artbox on its original run, and had very few extras to begin with, I went ahead and ordered.

Anyone know for sure if extras are removed from this?
I don't know if the extras were dropped on this show, but you should reconsider your stance on thinpaks(your wallet will thank you). I find most extras for anime to be rather unimpressive(a clean opening and closing song, a small art gallery, studio previews). As for the compression problems, I haven't experienced any with thinpaks compared to the original release. The thinpaks don't have any extras taking up any space and the most episodes that they have on one disc is six. Six episodes at 24 minutes per episode is less than 2 and 1/2 hours, so there really shouldn't be any video problems.
Old 06-12-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if the extras were dropped on this show, but you should reconsider your stance on thinpaks(your wallet will thank you). I find most extras for anime to be rather unimpressive(a clean opening and closing song, a small art gallery, studio previews). As for the compression problems, I haven't experienced any with thinpaks compared to the original release. The thinpaks don't have any extras taking up any space and the most episodes that they have on one disc is six. Six episodes at 24 minutes per episode is less than 2 and 1/2 hours, so there really shouldn't be any video problems.
I wholeheartedly agree. There are no video compression problems as far as I can tell, and I own many series on thinpack and just as singles. I cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Thinpacks come in a sturdy box (plus I just love the slim cases), take up much less room, are ridiculously cheaper... And like SBJ said, I'm rather unimpressed with the special features more often than not. Most anime discs offer little to no special features as it is. Thinpacks really are wonderful. I consider them a godsend!!
Old 06-12-06, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
I wholeheartedly agree. There are no video compression problems as far as I can tell, and I own many series on thinpack and just as singles. I cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Thinpacks come in a sturdy box (plus I just love the slim cases), take up much less room, are ridiculously cheaper... And like SBJ said, I'm rather unimpressed with the special features more often than not. Most anime discs offer little to no special features as it is. Thinpacks really are wonderful. I consider them a godsend!!
I totally agree with you on space. These bloated 7-DVD sets have a large profile on my shelf and, despite not really being able to afford it, I can't get enough anime DVDs, and I'm running out of room

I either need to start getting more thinpacks or I need to wait for HD-DVD/BluRay. I just wish I wasn't so obsessive about having the "best" version of these things. I often go out of my way, spending like $20 more, just to get the cool artbox or whatever. Even if I don't really have the money for it.

Bandai Complete Collections are my favorite. I wish other studios would use Bandai as a template. Not ridiculously cheap, but there is no stealth feature-removal just to encourage people to buy singles. Plus I sort of like AlphaPaks more.

That reminds me. I need to buy some massive DVD shelves this 20% off sale.

Last edited by Gamelore; 06-12-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gamelore
I totally agree with you on space. These bloated 7-DVD sets have a large profile on my shelf and, despite not really being able to afford it, I can't get enough anime DVDs, and I'm running out of room

I either need to start getting more thinpacks or I need to wait for HD-DVD/BluRay. I just wish I wasn't so obsessive about having the "best" version of these things. I often go out of my way, spending like $20 more, just to get the cool artbox or whatever. Even if I don't really have the money for it.

Bandai Complete Collections are my favorite. I wish other studios would use Bandai as a template. Not ridiculously cheap, but there is no stealth feature-removal just to encourage people to buy singles. Plus I sort of like AlphaPaks more.

That reminds me. I need to buy some massive DVD shelves this 20% off sale.
Fair enough! To each his/her own. I'm pretty obsessive about certain DVD aspects that shouldn't matter from time to time as well, so I can understand why the thinpacks could potentially be a turn-off to some. For others (like me, SBJ, and others, I'm sure), they're just right! I agree that it kinda stinks that they do (more often than not) remove the special features when there are so few to begin with, but the price difference for me is worth it, and I have already run out of room for my stuff as it is... So, I'm pretty much 99% in favor of them myself.
Old 06-12-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If ADV were smart - they would wait a year or so after the thinpaks were released and then release a disc that was all of the missing extras in one.
Old 06-12-06, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Got it, thanks. At that price I suspect we'll be waiting a while to get it.
Old 06-13-06, 12:23 AM

I was just wondering, did anybody get a shipping confirmation from animeigo for their order? The website didn't have any type of order tracking info.
Old 06-13-06, 12:46 AM

just received my rightstuff order (gungrave box) and animeigo sale order today (orange road ova's and movie, The Dagger of Kamui, Portrait of Hell and shadow hunters 1 and 2) i love this forum! thanks!
Old 06-13-06, 02:42 AM
Cool New Member

damn, im still waiting on my Gungrave box

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.