Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Costco deal on "Tora Tora Tora" & Patton SE's...

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just at my local Costco and they had the new versions of Patton & Tora Tora Tora for only $12.99 each. You also get a free movie ticket to X-Men 3 in each disc. Also, its out a week early.
Old 05-18-06, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already mentioned in the other costco thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=465715
Old 05-18-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will Costco have this deal everywhere? Was The Longest Day included in the $12.99 deal with a movie ticket?

I was afraid some deal like this might come along to confuse my decision. Now I have to decide if it's worth cancelling my Amazon preorders @ $12.50 each for Patton and The Longest Day, or Tora Tora Tora for $14.99.

Tora Tora Tora sounds like it would be worth cancelling not because I save about $1 after tax but for the movie ticket. I suppose I could use another movie ticket for a friend, but if I cancel one of the other 2 I lose the $5 discount at Amazon.

Knowing if it's Harkins vs. AMC is pretty important because the closest Harkins is 5 miles away, somewhat rundown, and admission is only $4.50 so that's all the ticket is worth. I would be saving $1.50 on Patton and Longest Day at Amazon, so that makes the ticket only worth $1.50 if it's Harkins. If it's AMC, then it's half a mile away, very clean and nice, and the admission is worth $6.50. I hope someone can look at the ticket and tell me.

My Amazon order shouldn't ship for a couple weeks because I selected ship everything at once and threw in a June preorder I didn't actually want to hold it until I decided. As soon as I know the deals and what to do, I can cancel that item and it should ship.
Old 05-18-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Manzana
Will Costco have this deal everywhere? Was The Longest Day included in the $12.99 deal with a movie ticket?

I was afraid some deal like this might come along to confuse my decision. Now I have to decide if it's worth cancelling my Amazon preorders @ $12.50 each for Patton and The Longest Day, or Tora Tora Tora for $14.99.

Tora Tora Tora sounds like it would be worth cancelling not because I save about $1 after tax but for the movie ticket. I suppose I could use another movie ticket for a friend, but if I cancel one of the other 2 I lose the $5 discount at Amazon.

Knowing if it's Harkins vs. AMC is pretty important because the closest Harkins is 5 miles away, somewhat rundown, and admission is only $4.50 so that's all the ticket is worth. I would be saving $1.50 on Patton and Longest Day at Amazon, so that makes the ticket only worth $1.50 if it's Harkins. If it's AMC, then it's half a mile away, very clean and nice, and the admission is worth $6.50. I hope someone can look at the ticket and tell me.

My Amazon order shouldn't ship for a couple weeks because I selected ship everything at once and threw in a June preorder I didn't actually want to hold it until I decided. As soon as I know the deals and what to do, I can cancel that item and it should ship.

I'll try to get there today Manzana and try to answer your question later.
Old 05-18-06, 10:49 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now I have to decide if it's worth cancelling my Amazon preorders @ $12.50 each for Patton and The Longest Day, or Tora Tora Tora for $14.99.
I didn't realize Amazon was giving $5 off for getting both The Longest Day and Patton together. Thanks for the info. I wish it was The Longest Day and Tora Tora Tora though. I already have The Longest Day on pre-order and would like to get that 2nd disc of MovieTone newsreels on TTT.
Old 05-18-06, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
I'll try to get there today Manzana and try to answer your question later.
Thanks! Were you going there anyway to pick up some stuff?

You could also answer in the other thread mentioned as I'll be reading both to see where the ticket is good. Someone else guessed that The Longest Day won't be included in the deal because it's not in the display box now. You'd think all 3 would belong together. I've never seen The Longest Day, so it would be a blind buy, but it has lots of positive reviews and I like old war movies if they're not too slow and low budget.
Old 05-18-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

You could also answer in the other thread mentioned as I'll be reading both to see where the ticket is good. Someone else guessed that The Longest Day won't be included in the deal because it's not in the display box now. You'd think all 3 would belong together. I've never seen The Longest Day, so it would be a blind buy, but it has lots of positive reviews and I like old war movies if they're not too slow and low budget.
My Costco is right down the street from the Circuit City I'll be going to to try and snag a Napoleon Dynamite Gift set. Plus, I can get some cheaper gas there. And after reading the DVDTAlk review of Patton, I want to pick it up at Costco and get the free X3 ticket. And while I'm there I can snag (or gulp) a soda / hot dog for $1.50. Whew!

So basically.... no problemo dude!
Old 05-18-06, 03:07 PM

Screw Costco. (Not a member.) Free ticket to X3 - which I'm seeing anyway - means I'll by Tora Tora Tora.

That is, if the free X3 ticket is not a Costco exclusive. Is it? I hope not.
Old 05-18-06, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BriGuy1971
Screw Costco. (Not a member.) Free ticket to X3 - which I'm seeing anyway - means I'll by Tora Tora Tora.

That is, if the free X3 ticket is not a Costco exclusive. Is it? I hope not.

It seems that the X3 ticket is Costco exclusive. I saw yesterday Tora Tora, tora, Patton and The Longest Day at FYE and they didn't include the ticket.
Old 05-18-06, 03:32 PM

^Well, shucks...
Old 05-18-06, 03:59 PM
Banned

Since the tickets are taped to the inside of the Costco long box it's a good bet it's a Costco exclusive.

The new Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure discs are also part the deal.
Old 05-18-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK. I'm back from Circuit City and Costco.

Got the Napoleon Dynamite Gift Set in the Orange, CT. Circuit City..... no problem... (they have 4 left after I bought mine).

Off to Costco down the street where I'm sad to report that I found NONE of the titles mentioned in this thread. I checked the racks, below the racks and under the double rows of boxes..... NADA.

I ask about Patton, Longest Day and Tora, Tora, Tora at the customer service desk. The girl could no find no trace of these by searching 3 separate criteria besides title:

1. Milford, CT. store inventory = 0
2. Norwalk, CT. store inventory = 0
3. Area (New Haven & Fairfield counties perhaps) inventory = 0

I tell her that there are people reporting that they are finding these titles at Cosco and posting the titles at DVDTalk.

She explained that they may in fact be regional specials. She said sometimes that West Coast Costcos get different titles and vice versa.

I did not see the SE's of the Towering Inferno / Poseidon Adventure there either (which I thought was very odd ).

I DID find the Merv Griffin set of the 40 Most Interesting People for 20.59.... (nice looking set).

So for any DVDTalkers in the area (Rogue588 / Sweet Baby James come to mind), no go at these two Costcos if you are reading this.

Sorry Manzana........

Can anyone else tell us in which states they are finding these titles??????

Of course this situation may change next week. And Yes, they had the New Boondock Saints out (for $18.49 I think)

Last edited by speedy1961; 05-18-06 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 06:09 PM
Banned

I posted all the deals plus all the titles than include the X-men 3 ticket on the other Costco thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....19#post7013619
Old 05-18-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
^^ Wonder if this is the case for the Costco's in Oregon... When I was there the other day, I didn't notice any of these titles, but I wasn't looking for them either.
Old 05-18-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It could be that Costco corporate realized that they broke street date on the 3 FOX titles and had them pulled until next week.
Old 05-18-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the Costco in Bend, Oregon, all of the above mentioned titles in this thread that have the X3 movie money were in the same silver/gray display case (including Transporter 2, Fantastic 4 and others I think). If you see this display box, go through the titles and you may find these titles after all.
Old 05-19-06, 01:51 AM

Same for the Tigard Costco.
Old 05-19-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
At the Costco in Bend, Oregon, all of the above mentioned titles in this thread that have the X3 movie money were in the same silver/gray display case (including Transporter 2, Fantastic 4 and others I think). If you see this display box, go through the titles and you may find these titles after all.
I just got back from my local Costco, and at first glance in the DVD's, I couldn't find Tora! Tora! Tora! Then I remembered this post and dug through the silver display case. There it was! I saw the Transporter 2 and Patton in there.

Plus, the X3 ticket is nice too.

So, the discs are showing up here in Utah.
Old 05-20-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pittsburgh.
Old 05-21-06, 01:02 AM

No Longest Day, but a few Tora and Pattons in Sacramento, CA
Old 05-21-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
I saw and bought Patton and Tora, Tora, Tora with the X-Men ticket at the Yonkers NY Costco on Saturday. Odd thing is that if they broke street date
Costco usually catches it at the check out . The scanner usually doesn't allow you check out.
Old 05-21-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I saw and bought Patton and Tora, Tora, Tora with the X-Men ticket at the Yonkers NY Costco on Saturday. Odd thing is that if they broke street date
Costco usually catches it at the check out . The scanner usually doesn't allow you check out.
Well, at least they're getting closer to the Milford, CT. Costco.
Old 05-22-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Well, no Patton, Tora, Poseidon Adventure or any of the others at the Eugene, OR Costco. I'm out that way tomorrow so maybe they'll have them then...
Old 05-22-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1961
Well, at least they're getting closer to the Milford, CT. Costco.
They had them in Milford yesterday.
Old 05-23-06, 09:21 AM

Amazon lowered the price on each of these 3 from $14.99 to $10.97, plus there's still the $5 discount for Patton + Longest Day, so now the question is whether it's worth the trip to Costco for $2 + tax + a movie ticket for Tora Tora Tora. I still don't know whether the X-Men 3 movie ticket is good at AMC Theaters, and it seems like even if it is in one region it isn't necessary in another.

Time to call Amazon and ask for a price adjustment on all 3 titles. Too bad they don't do that automatically (like Best Buy online does).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.