DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Any good prices for Brazil (CC)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/463810-any-good-prices-brazil-cc.html)

surfingelectrod 04-29-06 09:01 PM

Any good prices for Brazil (CC)?

The lowest I've found is 37.00 on DVDPlanet, but I'm reluctant to buy it at that price. Does anyone know if there is anywhere where I can get it cheaper than that? Thanks!

namlook 04-29-06 09:03 PM

Why reluctant? That's a good price.

surfingelectrod 04-29-06 09:07 PM

I'm always reluctant when buying Criterions, because of their price. Isn't the print on the set flawed, and aren't most of the extras just text slides?

AnonomusBob15 04-29-06 09:08 PM

Deep Discount DVD will have it around for 30 bucks in a month or so. That will be the cheapest. Or, you can pick it up used somewhere.

Filmmaker 04-29-06 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by namlook
Why reluctant? That's a good price.

Not for a non-anamorphic anything, it's not.

mbs 04-29-06 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Deep Discount DVD will have it around for 30 bucks in a month or so. That will be the cheapest. Or, you can pick it up used somewhere.

No, it'll be more expensive than DVDPlanet's current price. $47.87 (DDD's regular price) * 0.8 = $38.30 (DDD's 20% off price).

Typically, unless there is an amazing sale (like DDD's last Criterion sale), you cannot beat DVDPlanet on CC discs.

mbs 04-29-06 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker

It would be worth it for the extras, if you cared about that. But simply for PQ of the movie, yeah, you can do a LOT better than the CC release.

surfingelectrod 04-29-06 09:19 PM

I know that it is non-anamorphic, but I read somewhere that the PQ wasn't very good.

fliggil 04-29-06 10:07 PM

While you guys have noted problems with it being non-anamorphic, this is a great box especially for those who haven't seen the "Love Conquers All" version, and the second disc is filled with a bunch of interesting featurettes.

speedy1961 04-29-06 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
No, it'll be more expensive than DVDPlanet's current price. $47.87 (DDD's regular price) * 0.8 = $38.30 (DDD's 20% off price).

Typically, unless there is an amazing sale (like DDD's last Criterion sale), you cannot beat DVDPlanet on CC discs.

There is much truth in what you say mbs.....

I remember this title when I was ordering more and I think you've cited a stat few know about.

surfingelectrod 04-29-06 11:15 PM

I think I'll get it from DVDPlanet. I've never ordered from them before... How is their shipping?

mifuneral 04-29-06 11:18 PM

Anarmorphic or not, it's the best version of the film available.

speedy1961 04-29-06 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by mifuneral

I concur.....

Filmmaker 04-30-06 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mifuneral

But my argument is, until it's made anamorphic, it's worth waiting for (or renting, if you can)...

Kuma79 04-30-06 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
I concur.....

I third that, and theres no signs of a new version anytime soon

FangsFirst 04-30-06 07:57 PM

I went ahead and got it as well.

namlook 05-01-06 01:26 AM

But my argument is, until it's made anamorphic, it's worth waiting for (or renting, if you can)...

How about buy it, better version comes out and you sell it and get the better one?

Filmmaker 05-01-06 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by namlook
How about buy it, better version comes out and you sell it and get the better one?

If it was $5-$10, it seems workable, but at over $30? Hey, whatever floats your boat, but I'll pass...

ThatGuamGuy 05-01-06 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
aren't most of the extras just text slides?

Other than the amazing feature length documentary, the intriguing must-see awful alternate cut, and the best solo commentary on any DVD ever, yes.

But simply for PQ of the movie, yeah, you can do a LOT better than the CC release.
Really? I was under the impression that the only DVD releases of this movie were done from Criterion's transfer; since I know it wouldn't be a R1 release, which DVD provides the much better transfer you're talking about?

dx23 05-01-06 10:13 AM

Isn't the print on the set flawed, and aren't most of the extras just text slides?
Besides the extras mentioned above, the Criterion edition has one of the best documentaries about director vs studio , titled The Battle for Brazil, which is the 3rd disc of set.

sideshow23bob 05-01-06 12:40 PM

I got one for $25 on Amazon Marketplace which was Complete and mint, but I guess that's YMMV

hiccup 05-01-06 06:14 PM

I've been meaning to get this film at one time or another. Glad this thread came up. Alowd me to really see my options for this film and the discussion on its features has been interesting. Probably will just wait for DDD since I prefer them and since I've waited thsi long. Probalby should have gotten it at their last CC sale though. oh well no biggie.

namlook 05-01-06 07:16 PM

If it was $5-$10, it seems workable, but at over $30? Hey, whatever floats your boat, but I'll pass...

Given the collectability of Criterion and the stupidity of ebayers you'd probably sell it for a profit.

Anyway, as mentioned, this set has lots of great extras. Well worth the money.

JoeR63 05-02-06 04:29 AM

FYI. Amazon now has Brazil CC for $32.97.

namlook 05-02-06 08:25 PM

Great find.

mbs 05-03-06 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Really? I was under the impression that the only DVD releases of this movie were done from Criterion's transfer; since I know it wouldn't be a R1 release, which DVD provides the much better transfer you're talking about?

For PQ alone, IMO, the R4 (ironically a Brazil release) is the release to get. It is anamorphic (so not from Criterion's master) and looks much nicer (to my eyes) -- it's also NTSC, so no worry about speedup (like with the R2 release).

I do believe both R1s (Criterion and Universal) were from the same master.

I still think the extras are worth it for the Criterion set (especially with Amazon's current price). Maybe they'll release it someday on HD-DVD/BRD with all intact extras and anamorphic HD.

Bob_F1 05-03-06 03:11 PM

This did get a DVD Talk Collector Series rating in the reviews section.

Here are some words regarding the transfer:

Picture and Sound:
The transfer of Brazil is really good, keeping the dark tone of the picture while keeping the picture clear. The sound was also transferred into Dolby Surround extremely well. The picture and sound of the "Love Conquers All" version on disc 3 are the same as the Love Conquers All version of Brazil itself - horrible. However, that hardly matters as I doubt anyone will want to watch the "Love Conquers All" version more than once, and only then with something else to occupy you.

And here's the overall assessment:

Conclusion:
The Brazil Criterion Collection is a very interesting set, and one of the more impressive Criterion Collection entries to date. For anyone who is a Gilliam fan, it shows perhaps his most impressive piece of work, and how it was almost ruined. For the collector, it's size and depth are also impressive. As for the average viewer, you get a really excellent movie, with great commentary and wonderful extras.

Bob

dabl 05-03-06 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
For PQ alone, IMO, the R4 (ironically a Brazil release) is the release to get. It is anamorphic (so not from Criterion's master) and looks much nicer (to my eyes) -- it's also NTSC, so no worry about speedup (like with the R2 release).

Would you happen to know of an online source that would have this particular version?

thanks!

SRGilbert 05-03-06 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_F1
This did get a DVD Talk Collector Series rating in the reviews section.

Here are some words regarding the transfer:

Picture and Sound:
The transfer of Brazil is really good, keeping the dark tone of the picture while keeping the picture clear. The sound was also transferred into Dolby Surround extremely well. The picture and sound of the "Love Conquers All" version on disc 3 are the same as the Love Conquers All version of Brazil itself - horrible. However, that hardly matters as I doubt anyone will want to watch the "Love Conquers All" version more than once, and only then with something else to occupy you.

And here's the overall assessment:

Conclusion:
The Brazil Criterion Collection is a very interesting set, and one of the more impressive Criterion Collection entries to date. For anyone who is a Gilliam fan, it shows perhaps his most impressive piece of work, and how it was almost ruined. For the collector, it's size and depth are also impressive. As for the average viewer, you get a really excellent movie, with great commentary and wonderful extras.

Bob

Well, keep in mind that review was done in Jan, 2000, and digital widescreen TV's were not common, and probably not used in the review. I'm sure that on a 36" 4:3 or smaller TV, the CC version probably looks great compared to the VHS version of the time!

I also take issue with the reviewers assessment that it "hardly matters" that the PQ is horrible on the studio version of the film. For the price of that set ($59.99 MSRP?!), it's simply unacceptable for it to look that poor.

I stand with the crowd that will simply not buy anything that is non-anamorphic widescreen, especially on such an important movie.

Bob_F1 05-03-06 06:26 PM

Thanks. It didn't even occur to me to look at when that review was written.

Bob

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
Well, keep in mind that review was done in Jan, 2000, and digital widescreen TV's were not common, and probably not used in the review. I'm sure that on a 36" 4:3 or smaller TV, the CC version probably looks great compared to the VHS version of the time!

I stand with the crowd that will simply not buy anything that is non-anamorphic widescreen, especially on such an important movie.

sracer 05-03-06 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_F1
Thanks. It didn't even occur to me to look at when that review was written.

Bob

IMO, that doesn't matter.

For people with a huge backlog of films to buy and watch, it may not make sense to go and buy something that they consider is inferior. But for someone who wants the film NOW, the CC edition is just fine.

I've lost count of the dozens of discs that I timidly purchased because of all the negative hoo-ha about them on the forum... only to be pleasantly surprised at how fine those discs turned out to be.

Some people are genuine in their criticism, but others define their sense of selectivity and refinement by finding fault in every disc. They think it makes them "more discerning" to dismiss a disc. Other times, it is an equipment issue. Watching a disc on a 60" rear-projection TV will certainly magnify any imperfection. Any disc that isn't a direct digital transfer like MONSTER'S INC or ICE AGE will look horrible on such a set. So by extension, all of those other discs are poor.

DVDs are so mainstream and so popular that people should buy or rent the disc they want and see for themselves how good the quality is. And if it isn't up to their standards, then sell it, trade it, give it away.

typecase 05-03-06 09:35 PM

I had a widescreen set then and many of the review sites did as well (DVDFile, for example.) While I'm not sure about the review mentioned above, anamorphic widescreen was a HUGE issue back then (even back in 1998) and close attention to picture quality was noted when a disc was NOT enhanced for 16:9 TVs, like many Criterion and Disney discs were at the time. Again this may not be true for the review menioned above, but the fact that widescreen TVs were not common didn't stop reviewers from watching material on them, and on high resolution PC screens where PQ flaws are easily noted. Even back then sites like this one, the Digital Bits, and DVDFile led the way for all studios to release their stuff in anamorphic widescreen.

MEJHarrison 05-04-06 03:35 PM

I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that it's not really much of a "crowd" you're hanging out with. It sounds more like a few stragglers to me.

I picked mine up years ago and don't regret the purchase. It's one of the jewels of my collection. And if the day comes that it gets an anamorphic release, I think you'll see a lot of happy people double dipping.

Filmmaker 05-04-06 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that it's not really much of a "crowd" you're hanging out with. It sounds more like a few stragglers to me.

You have the wrong impression...

MEJHarrison 05-04-06 04:44 PM

You have the wrong impression...

I said my impression from reading this thread. I'm seeing a couple people who seem to be holding out for anamorphic vs. a dozen or more who are pleased with what we have (although probably still hoping for an update).

Sorry, I'm not seeing a "crowd" here. :shrug:

dabl 05-04-06 05:00 PM

I said my impression from reading this thread. I'm seeing a couple people who seem to be holding out for anamorphic vs. a dozen or more who are pleased with what we have (although probably still hoping for an update).

Sorry, I'm not seeing a "crowd" here. :shrug:

I'm most DEFINITELY with Filmmaker on this, and three's a crowd ;)

MEJHarrison 05-04-06 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by dabl
I'm most DEFINITELY with Filmmaker on this, and three's a crowd ;)

Guess you got me there. But it's a small crowd compared to the mob who have already picked up this great set. :lol:

SRGilbert 05-04-06 08:03 PM

Guess you got me there. But it's a small crowd compared to the mob who have already picked up this great set. :lol:

So, let me if I understand you, based on this thread alone, you question whether 2 or 3 of us complainers constitutes a "crowd", yet (based on best count of the previous posts) a whole FIVE of you that have actually purchased the set is enough to form a "mob?" :scratch2: According to DVDspot.com, only 321 of their 6318 members seem to own it, or about 5%.

Does anyone know if Criterion is the reason that Universal hasn't released a anamorphic version? Pretty much all the Gilliam library has been re-released in top notch special editions (or at least decent enhanced versions) and this is the last hold out I can think of.

Could this be the same story for Life of Brian?

surfingelectrod 05-04-06 08:08 PM

I ordered mine from Amazon last night.

mbs 05-04-06 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dabl
Would you happen to know of an online source that would have this particular version?

thanks!

It used to be available at dvdworld.com.br, but I don't see it anymore.

According to Nicheflix, there is another anamorphic (NTSC) R2 Brazil release: http://www.nicheflix.com/movie_detai...x?movieID=3089. KoreanDVDs (who I have ordered from and were great, BUT there are some complaints about slow shipping in the International DVD folder) sells this release: http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=28693.

I've never seen this other release, but it might be worth checking out if you want an anamorphic version of the film now.