Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Any good prices for Brazil (CC)?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Any good prices for Brazil (CC)?

Old 05-03-06, 01:21 PM
  #26  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Really? I was under the impression that the only DVD releases of this movie were done from Criterion's transfer; since I know it wouldn't be a R1 release, which DVD provides the much better transfer you're talking about?
For PQ alone, IMO, the R4 (ironically a Brazil release) is the release to get. It is anamorphic (so not from Criterion's master) and looks much nicer (to my eyes) -- it's also NTSC, so no worry about speedup (like with the R2 release).

I do believe both R1s (Criterion and Universal) were from the same master.

I still think the extras are worth it for the Criterion set (especially with Amazon's current price). Maybe they'll release it someday on HD-DVD/BRD with all intact extras and anamorphic HD.
Old 05-03-06, 03:11 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 474
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This did get a DVD Talk Collector Series rating in the reviews section.

Here are some words regarding the transfer:

Picture and Sound:
The transfer of Brazil is really good, keeping the dark tone of the picture while keeping the picture clear. The sound was also transferred into Dolby Surround extremely well. The picture and sound of the "Love Conquers All" version on disc 3 are the same as the Love Conquers All version of Brazil itself - horrible. However, that hardly matters as I doubt anyone will want to watch the "Love Conquers All" version more than once, and only then with something else to occupy you.


And here's the overall assessment:

Conclusion:
The Brazil Criterion Collection is a very interesting set, and one of the more impressive Criterion Collection entries to date. For anyone who is a Gilliam fan, it shows perhaps his most impressive piece of work, and how it was almost ruined. For the collector, it's size and depth are also impressive. As for the average viewer, you get a really excellent movie, with great commentary and wonderful extras.


Bob
Old 05-03-06, 06:22 PM
  #28  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
For PQ alone, IMO, the R4 (ironically a Brazil release) is the release to get. It is anamorphic (so not from Criterion's master) and looks much nicer (to my eyes) -- it's also NTSC, so no worry about speedup (like with the R2 release).
Would you happen to know of an online source that would have this particular version?

thanks!
Old 05-03-06, 06:22 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 927
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob_F1
This did get a DVD Talk Collector Series rating in the reviews section.

Here are some words regarding the transfer:

Picture and Sound:
The transfer of Brazil is really good, keeping the dark tone of the picture while keeping the picture clear. The sound was also transferred into Dolby Surround extremely well. The picture and sound of the "Love Conquers All" version on disc 3 are the same as the Love Conquers All version of Brazil itself - horrible. However, that hardly matters as I doubt anyone will want to watch the "Love Conquers All" version more than once, and only then with something else to occupy you.


And here's the overall assessment:

Conclusion:
The Brazil Criterion Collection is a very interesting set, and one of the more impressive Criterion Collection entries to date. For anyone who is a Gilliam fan, it shows perhaps his most impressive piece of work, and how it was almost ruined. For the collector, it's size and depth are also impressive. As for the average viewer, you get a really excellent movie, with great commentary and wonderful extras.


Bob
Well, keep in mind that review was done in Jan, 2000, and digital widescreen TV's were not common, and probably not used in the review. I'm sure that on a 36" 4:3 or smaller TV, the CC version probably looks great compared to the VHS version of the time!

I also take issue with the reviewers assessment that it "hardly matters" that the PQ is horrible on the studio version of the film. For the price of that set ($59.99 MSRP?!), it's simply unacceptable for it to look that poor.

I stand with the crowd that will simply not buy anything that is non-anamorphic widescreen, especially on such an important movie.

Last edited by SRGilbert; 05-03-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 06:26 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 474
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. It didn't even occur to me to look at when that review was written.

Bob

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
Well, keep in mind that review was done in Jan, 2000, and digital widescreen TV's were not common, and probably not used in the review. I'm sure that on a 36" 4:3 or smaller TV, the CC version probably looks great compared to the VHS version of the time!

I stand with the crowd that will simply not buy anything that is non-anamorphic widescreen, especially on such an important movie.

Last edited by Bob_F1; 05-03-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 06:59 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,155
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_F1
Thanks. It didn't even occur to me to look at when that review was written.

Bob
IMO, that doesn't matter.

For people with a huge backlog of films to buy and watch, it may not make sense to go and buy something that they consider is inferior. But for someone who wants the film NOW, the CC edition is just fine.

I've lost count of the dozens of discs that I timidly purchased because of all the negative hoo-ha about them on the forum... only to be pleasantly surprised at how fine those discs turned out to be.

Some people are genuine in their criticism, but others define their sense of selectivity and refinement by finding fault in every disc. They think it makes them "more discerning" to dismiss a disc. Other times, it is an equipment issue. Watching a disc on a 60" rear-projection TV will certainly magnify any imperfection. Any disc that isn't a direct digital transfer like MONSTER'S INC or ICE AGE will look horrible on such a set. So by extension, all of those other discs are poor.

DVDs are so mainstream and so popular that people should buy or rent the disc they want and see for themselves how good the quality is. And if it isn't up to their standards, then sell it, trade it, give it away.
Old 05-03-06, 09:35 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 640
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRGilbert
Well, keep in mind that review was done in Jan, 2000, and digital widescreen TV's were not common, and probably not used in the review. I'm sure that on a 36" 4:3 or smaller TV, the CC version probably looks great compared to the VHS version of the time!

.
I had a widescreen set then and many of the review sites did as well (DVDFile, for example.) While I'm not sure about the review mentioned above, anamorphic widescreen was a HUGE issue back then (even back in 1998) and close attention to picture quality was noted when a disc was NOT enhanced for 16:9 TVs, like many Criterion and Disney discs were at the time. Again this may not be true for the review menioned above, but the fact that widescreen TVs were not common didn't stop reviewers from watching material on them, and on high resolution PC screens where PQ flaws are easily noted. Even back then sites like this one, the Digital Bits, and DVDFile led the way for all studios to release their stuff in anamorphic widescreen.
Old 05-04-06, 03:35 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRGilbert
I stand with the crowd that will simply not buy anything that is non-anamorphic widescreen, especially on such an important movie.
I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that it's not really much of a "crowd" you're hanging out with. It sounds more like a few stragglers to me.

I picked mine up years ago and don't regret the purchase. It's one of the jewels of my collection. And if the day comes that it gets an anamorphic release, I think you'll see a lot of happy people double dipping.
Old 05-04-06, 04:09 PM
  #34  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that it's not really much of a "crowd" you're hanging out with. It sounds more like a few stragglers to me.
You have the wrong impression...
Old 05-04-06, 04:44 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
You have the wrong impression...
I said my impression from reading this thread. I'm seeing a couple people who seem to be holding out for anamorphic vs. a dozen or more who are pleased with what we have (although probably still hoping for an update).

Sorry, I'm not seeing a "crowd" here.
Old 05-04-06, 05:00 PM
  #36  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I said my impression from reading this thread. I'm seeing a couple people who seem to be holding out for anamorphic vs. a dozen or more who are pleased with what we have (although probably still hoping for an update).

Sorry, I'm not seeing a "crowd" here.
I'm most DEFINITELY with Filmmaker on this, and three's a crowd

Last edited by dabl; 05-04-06 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 05:35 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabl
I'm most DEFINITELY with Filmmaker on this, and three's a crowd
Guess you got me there. But it's a small crowd compared to the mob who have already picked up this great set.
Old 05-04-06, 08:03 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 927
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Guess you got me there. But it's a small crowd compared to the mob who have already picked up this great set.
So, let me if I understand you, based on this thread alone, you question whether 2 or 3 of us complainers constitutes a "crowd", yet (based on best count of the previous posts) a whole FIVE of you that have actually purchased the set is enough to form a "mob?" According to DVDspot.com, only 321 of their 6318 members seem to own it, or about 5%.

Does anyone know if Criterion is the reason that Universal hasn't released a anamorphic version? Pretty much all the Gilliam library has been re-released in top notch special editions (or at least decent enhanced versions) and this is the last hold out I can think of.

Could this be the same story for Life of Brian?

Last edited by SRGilbert; 05-04-06 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 08:08 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 373
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered mine from Amazon last night.
Old 05-04-06, 08:14 PM
  #40  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabl
Would you happen to know of an online source that would have this particular version?

thanks!
It used to be available at dvdworld.com.br, but I don't see it anymore.

According to Nicheflix, there is another anamorphic (NTSC) R2 Brazil release: http://www.nicheflix.com/movie_detai...x?movieID=3089. KoreanDVDs (who I have ordered from and were great, BUT there are some complaints about slow shipping in the International DVD folder) sells this release: http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=28693.

I've never seen this other release, but it might be worth checking out if you want an anamorphic version of the film now.
Old 05-05-06, 11:57 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRGilbert
So, let me if I understand you, based on this thread alone, you question whether 2 or 3 of us complainers constitutes a "crowd", yet (based on best count of the previous posts) a whole FIVE of you that have actually purchased the set is enough to form a "mob?" According to DVDspot.com, only 321 of their 6318 members seem to own it, or about 5%.
This is just getting silly.

For the record, none of Gilliam's film are well represented at DVDSpot. Fear and Loathing: 416, 12 Monkeys: 537, Time Bandits: 88, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen: 110, The Fisher King: 102, The Brothers Grim: 250

Anyway, call it what you want. This is a great set unless anamorphic is important to you. I can still enjoy the movie despite its less than ideal presentation. And I've been enjoying it for several years now. If you choose to wait, that's fine too. Hopefully you won't have to keep waiting for too long.
Old 05-05-06, 01:07 PM
  #42  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
...If you choose to wait, that's fine too. Hopefully you won't have to keep waiting for too long.
Assuming one can do region 4 there's no waiting involved for that anamorphic version from Brazil (the country).

I haven't heard from anyone regarding an online source for this specific version but from poking around it appears it's available from this Australian source for $27.31 US delivered. VideoShift.com DVD

I wasn't able to create a direct link to the title but do a title search for 'Brazil'.

My only question would be confirming this is in fact the correct aformentioned anamorphic region 4 title.....
Old 05-06-06, 03:16 PM
  #43  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabl
Assuming one can do region 4 there's no waiting involved for that anamorphic version from Brazil (the country).

I haven't heard from anyone regarding an online source for this specific version but from poking around it appears it's available from this Australian source for $27.31 US delivered. VideoShift.com DVD

I wasn't able to create a direct link to the title but do a title search for 'Brazil'.

My only question would be confirming this is in fact the correct aformentioned anamorphic region 4 title.....
I don't think that is the R4 release that I was talking about (a good buddy of mine has the R4 disc). First, the cover is slightly different. There is some white writing under the script neon Brazil (toward the left) and that M isn't there. And the studio is listed as 20C/Fox (who put out the R2 PAL disc) -- "Fox Video" distributed the R4 disc. This disc (from videoshift.com) looks a lot like the R2 PAL release.

I'll take another look for it and if I find it report back. The other option is the R2 NTSC disc that koreanDVDs sells. I've not personally seen that disc, but if it's anamorphic and NTSC, it's probably the same master as the R4 Brazil release.
Old 05-25-06, 09:36 AM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hazlet, NJ
Posts: 541
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The R-4 version available in Austrailia is a PAL disc with the same content as the R-2 PAL version in the United Kingdom (both are anamorphic versions from 20th Century Fox). The R-4 version from 'Fox Video Brazil' was NTSC (anamorphic) and also had the same content but a SLIGHTLY more detailed picture over the Ausie and UK counterparts. Unfortunately the Brazilian R-4 is now out-of-print. There is some very good information here.
Old 05-25-06, 10:30 AM
  #45  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnf14
The R-4 version available in Austrailia is a PAL disc with the same content as the R-2 PAL version in the United Kingdom (both are anamorphic versions from 20th Century Fox). The R-4 version from 'Fox Video Brazil' was NTSC (anamorphic) and also had the same content but a SLIGHTLY more detailed picture over the Ausie and UK counterparts. Unfortunately the Brazilian R-4 is now out-of-print. There is some very good information here.
Thanks, you da man!

--Don
Old 06-16-06, 09:05 AM
  #46  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, one month later we hear Criterion will release in September an anamorphic version of the three disc Brazil as well as a single disc version.

VERY glad I waited.

A couple months after that and it will be on sale for 20% off the Deep Discount DVD price during their November sale......

06-13-06 Digital Bits Two Cents News re: Criterion Brazil anamorphic

Note you'll need to check here to find the archived version of the story at Digital Bits a week or so after the time of this writing

Last edited by dabl; 06-16-06 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-16-06, 09:19 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info can also be found here.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468728

The two different versions will apparently be numbered 51 and 351.

Last edited by starecase; 06-16-06 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-16-06, 09:19 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabl
So, one month later we hear Criterion will release in September an anamorphic version of the three disc Brazil as well as a single disc version.

VERY glad I waited.

A couple months after that and it will be on sale for 20% off the Deep Discount DVD price during their November sale......

06-13-06 Digital Bits Two Cents News re: Criterion Brazil anamorphic

Note you'll need to check here to find the archived version of the story at Digital Bits a week or so after the time of this writing
I wonder if Amazon will have a seperate listing for it.

I'd like to just preorder it from there, they usually have like a 30% discount on new CC releases.
Old 06-16-06, 10:02 AM
  #49  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabl
So, one month later we hear Criterion will release in September an anamorphic version of the three disc Brazil as well as a single disc version.

VERY glad I waited.

A couple months after that and it will be on sale for 20% off the Deep Discount DVD price during their November sale......

06-13-06 Digital Bits Two Cents News re: Criterion Brazil anamorphic

Note you'll need to check here to find the archived version of the story at Digital Bits a week or so after the time of this writing


Hey thanks for the link to Digital Bits!
I have not seen that site before and it really is great.
whooo! season two of twin peaks is coming
Old 06-17-06, 07:01 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,447
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabl
So, one month later we hear Criterion will release in September an anamorphic version of the three disc Brazil as well as a single disc version.

VERY glad I waited.

A couple months after that and it will be on sale for 20% off the Deep Discount DVD price during their November sale......

06-13-06 Digital Bits Two Cents News re: Criterion Brazil anamorphic

Note you'll need to check here to find the archived version of the story at Digital Bits a week or so after the time of this writing
I am glad I got rid of my copy of Brazil and Seven Samurai when I did, as the market will fall out for the older releases when these new version are released.

Not sure if I will go with the new 1 disc or the three disc version (will wait to see the price differential). I have already viewed all the extras from the three disc set, and they are not something I will ever watch again (this is usually the case for most extras).

J

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.