DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Kingdom of heaven (4 disc) - pre-order $15.65 @ Overstock

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great news!!! Thanks.
Old 04-08-06, 07:30 PM

I might have to order this along with KK Production Diaries ($14.99) Hmmmm....
Old 04-08-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I preorder this along with something else now, will my CC get charged right away or when it gets shipped? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
If I preorder this along with something else now, will my CC get charged right away or when it gets shipped? Thanks in advance!
They charge your card when it ships out of their warehouse.
Old 04-08-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They charge your card when it ships out of their warehouse.
Thanks!
Old 04-08-06, 09:56 PM

Cool deal! Thanks OP!

FYI WrestleMania 22 3-Disc set also comes out May 23rd and Amazon has it for $22.69 on pre-order.
Old 04-09-06, 02:51 AM

is this movie any good?....thought it got mixed reviews...
I saw the extended version in the theater late last year and thought it was great! Never saw the original cut.

Thanks for the heads up ruk!
Old 04-09-06, 05:44 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joekun

Thanks for the heads up ruk!

anytime guys.
Old 04-09-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, threw in Underworld Evolution to get the free shipping. Have to wait 2 weeks to get the package, but can't beat the price. I have the regular version to tide me over, should I feel the need to watch it.

Thanks, OP.
Old 04-09-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by valkyrie
Thanks, threw in Underworld Evolution to get the free shipping. Have to wait 2 weeks to get the package, but can't beat the price. I have the regular version to tide me over, should I feel the need to watch it.

Thanks, OP.
I don't know if this matters to you or not, but Underworld Evolution will be included in the first wave of Blu-Ray discs. Just thought you might want to know because I know a lot of people are holding off on titles until the HD version comes out.
Old 04-09-06, 12:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sweet deal! Thx for the heads up.
Old 04-09-06, 12:42 PM

Isn't the Blu-Rays player like real expensive?
Old 04-09-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I don't know if this matters to you or not, but Underworld Evolution will be included in the first wave of Blu-Ray discs. Just thought you might want to know because I know a lot of people are holding off on titles until the HD version comes out.
Yeah, I saw that, thanks for the heads-up. Even though I was the first person I know to dive into DVD, the whole BR vs HD-DVD thing is just a problem. I'm convinced only one of them (if either, actually) will survive. I'm going to wait out this one and see what happens in a couple years. DVD's look flipping fantastic on my 42" plasma, and I have a real hard time thinking either format will be SO good as to warrant new hardware, and re-buying DVD's all over again.

Plus, what really sold me on DVD was the sound - going from stereo to 5.1 was a thing of beauty. Going from 5.1 to 5.1...even though it may be less compressed...eh, I just again find it hard to see the point.

Thank you for the thought, though. If the hardware were cheaper, I'd probably upgrade for the hell of it and just start buying all new titles in the HD category. I'm not dropping a grand on a new player, though, especially since both camps seem to have compatibility issues. (and it's likely only going to get worse).
Old 04-10-06, 08:57 AM
Cool New Member

Microsoft to buy Sony? ~ Slashdot Article

This would really put a kink in the whole Blueray vs HDDVD situation.
Old 04-10-06, 11:14 AM

Reviews of KOH

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kingdom_of_heaven/
Old 04-10-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome deal. I've had a gift certificate I've been looking to spend. I wish the new Red Hot Chili Peppers cd was a little cheaper. Not sure what I'll add to get free shipping, but I'll be adding something today for sure. Thanks OP!!!
Old 04-10-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ordered one of these, too. Now to FleaBay my original version...
Old 04-10-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Most, if not all, of those reviews are for the theatrical cut. The Directors Cut is allegidly drastically better, and apparently seems shorter thanks to the character/conflict development that was lacking in the original.

Some semi-reviews of the new DC:

Originally Posted by TheDigitalBits.com
Now then... last night, Matt and I had the chance to take in a screening of Ridley Scott's extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven at the Arclight in Hollywood (hosted by our friends over at Collider.com). Let me tell you, you just haven't really seen this film yet. If you've read my review of the 144-minute theatrical cut on DVD, or my initial comments about the film from last year, you'll know that while I really wanted to like Kingdom of Heaven, I felt that there was just too much missing from the story. Too many thing happened too quickly to the character of Balian (Orlando Bloom), and so many of the other characters either lacked motivation or had unresolved stories when the film concluded. At the time, I noted that over 40 minutes had actually been trimmed out of Scott's original cut of the film in order to create a version that the studio considered more theater-friendly. Well, let me tell you, those cuts REALLY hurt this film. I couldn't make myself give the theatrical cut more than a C+. It was a beautifully-lensed, but woefully incomplete story. This new 191-minute extended cut, on the other hand, is a truly great piece of work. I'd give it an A-, maybe even a solid A.

Mild Spoilers:
Spoiler:

Finally, you understand more of what motivated Balian - you see more of his life and circumstances in France. You see his wife briefly in Balian's memory, and understand his grief better. You learn that he's fought in war previously, and was an experienced engineer, so his cleverness later in defending Jerusalem makes more sense. You learn more of Godfrey of Ibelin (Liam Neeson)'s own connections to Balian's home and his village, and why he would not only return to find Balian (his son) but also why the local lord's men would attack them later (it's another family connection). The animosity between Balian and his brother, a local priest, is shown in greater clarity. Once Balian arrives in the Holy Land, you learn that Sibylla's marriage to Guy de Lusignan is really one of convenience only, which puts Sibylla and Balian's romantic relationship into better context. You learn that Sibylla has a son (who was completely cut out of the theatrical version), and that her love of her son motivates almost every action she takes (which in turn makes sense out of her bizarre behavior late in the film). You see more of Balian's interactions with King Baldwin, and their developing respect for one another. And, at last, you not only understand why Guy de Lusignan hates Balian (it isn't just about Sibylla), but their animosity for one another actually pays off in a final confrontation that, again, is completely missing from the theatrical cut.

I can't stress enough how different this version of the film is, and how much better and more rewarding an experience it becomes, with the restoration of the trimmed minutes. The 191-minute cut makes its home video debut on Fox's forthcoming 4-disc Kingdom of Heaven: Extended Edition (due in stores on 5/23 - available here at Amazon.com), and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth owning just for this cut of the film alone. Add to that what promises to be an outstanding batch of special features (produced by Scott's longtime DVD producer, Charles de Lauzirika, and his team), and it's not to be missed.

IGN:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/700/700521p1.html

Originally Posted by IGN
Kingdom of Heaven: The Director's Cut is not just a 2 ½ star movie that earned itself two more stars, but one of Ridley Scott's best, and moreover, a film that deserves its place in cinema history - even if that place could only be located on DVD.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-10-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 01:42 PM

I am persuaded

Okay, I'll put on my wishlist and think about it (although Orlando Bloom is not a favorite).
Old 04-10-06, 01:58 PM

Just curious how I sign up for the free Amazon Prime (free shipping deal) trial? Could anyone let me know? Thanks.
Old 04-10-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SpringsGal
Just curious how I sign up for the free Amazon Prime (free shipping deal) trial? Could anyone let me know? Thanks.
If Amazon gives you the free trial, it will be located at the final checkout screen when placing an order.
Old 04-10-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Sign up for Amazon Prime (you'll need a credit card) and your first 3 months are free. In your Amazon Prime account settings, press the "Do Not Upgrade Automatically" button so your card won't be charged the $79 after the first 3 months.
Old 04-10-06, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
If Amazon gives you the free trial, it will be located at the final checkout screen when placing an order.
Thanks for the quick response Baby James!! I don't see the option at checkout. So I guess Amazon is not offering the Free Prime Trial to me
Old 04-10-06, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Sign up for Amazon Prime (you'll need a credit card) and your first 3 months are free. In your Amazon Prime account settings, press the "Do Not Upgrade Automatically" button so your card won't be charged the $79 after the first 3 months.
Thanks for the response. I am asked for a credit card during the initial sign up. But there is no mention of 3 months being free anywhere in the initial sign up page. Do I just risk it and hope the 3 months free will show up after I sign up with the credit card? With my luck they will charge me the full $79 right away
Old 04-10-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am asked for a credit card during the initial sign up. But there is no mention of 3 months being free anywhere in the initial sign up page. Do I just risk it and hope the 3 months free will show up after I sign up with the credit card? With my luck they will charge me the full $79 right away
Hmmm that's strange, I signed up on Saturday and was able to get the 3 free months right away...maybe it was a limited time offer? Try sending customer service an e-mail first before you sign up to see if it's still available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.