Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Over 200 Sony Catalog titles for $5.98 @ DDD

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Over 200 Sony Catalog titles for $5.98 @ DDD

Old 03-11-06, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's no She's Out Of Control, but Enigma is a pretty good film directed by Michael Apted.
Old 03-11-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I browsed through all 17 pages of these DVDs and there was not a single movie on all 17 pages that I've ever seen, and only a handful of the titles have I ever heard of. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like this sale is mostly on B movies... just like the majority of Walmart's $5.50 bin which I get tired of digging through in hopes of finding the rare good movies.
Old 03-11-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Manzana
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like this sale is mostly on B movies...
Yes you are wrong!!

Pro-B
Old 03-11-06, 01:07 PM

I browsed through all 17 pages of these DVDs and there was not a single movie on all 17 pages that I've ever seen, and only a handful of the titles have I ever heard of. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like this sale is mostly on B movies... just like the majority of Walmart's $5.50 bin which I get tired of digging through in hopes of finding the rare good movies.

Perhaps your tastes in film are a bit more..."refined"
Old 03-11-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong about that. The titles in this sale are a combination of (a) recent American independent films, some bad but many good, (b) foreign films, including some really excellent titles from eastern and western Europe and Asia, (c) some older films, including a few bonafide classics and a number of more dubious ones, and (d) some B movies. The reason many of us have responded so enthusiastically to this sale is the availability of (a) and (b) at blowout prices. My recommendation to you would be to take advantage of the sale by reading some reviews from sources you trust and blind-buying a few titles. I'm sure you'll find some movies you enjoy. This sale is really about A-list titles at below B-list prices.
Old 03-11-06, 02:01 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by illennium
No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong about that. <snip> This sale is really about A-list titles at below B-list prices.
Well said!

There are some great films here...read the other pages of this thread for some suggestions. Not only are there some magnificent films, but they are an incredible deal. I'll be willing to bet that some of these are selling for $50+ in a year on e-bay.
Old 03-11-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only wish the WM 5.50 bin had some of these titles.

You could have gone to Dvdpricesearch and looked at their page from yesterday and they had all the titles listed!
Old 03-11-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so glad DDD isn't combining this with a B2G1 sale like the Buena Vista one a few months ago. I wouldn't be able to resist and would probably buy 25% of what is in the sale. So many quality independent/foreign films.
Old 03-11-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, just because you haven't seen it or heard of it doesn't automatically make it a B flick. I haven't seen many (actually most) of the titles here, but I've already got six or seven I'll probably be picking up, just because they sound worthwhile.

The great thing about this sale is that for the price, it's tough to go wrong. And this isn't like the Wal-Mart bin, either. If you read the descriptions and reviews, you'll find that these wouldn't be placed next to chaff like Captain Ron and Rambo III.
Old 03-11-06, 03:47 PM

I agree. Out of 200 movies, there were a lot of sketchy titles and it reminded me of the Walmart bin too. I actually ended up picking up a few titles but mostly because I like the directors and wanted to have the stuff on hand if the titles go OOP. THE BIG PICTURE and LE DERNIER COMBAT aren't exactly the respective directors' finest. I looked at this sale as an opportunity to get some lesser known titles at a good price (with a lot of digging through the list and refenerencing DVD-basen to find something decent).

I think some of the recent WM deals (like Glory SE) have been better.
Old 03-11-06, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Well, just because you haven't seen it or heard of it doesn't automatically make it a B flick. I haven't seen many (actually most) of the titles here, but I've already got six or seven I'll probably be picking up, just because they sound worthwhile.

The great thing about this sale is that for the price, it's tough to go wrong. And this isn't like the Wal-Mart bin, either. If you read the descriptions and reviews, you'll find that these wouldn't be placed next to chaff like Captain Ron and Rambo III.
Yeah, the BEST OF CHARLIES ANGELS, JILL THE RIPPER, and PIRAHNA 2 are such cinematic masterpieces and would never share the bin with Rambo.
Old 03-11-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhokie
Yeah, the BEST OF CHARLIES ANGELS, JILL THE RIPPER, and PIRAHNA 2 are such cinematic masterpieces and would never share the bin with Rambo.
Old 03-11-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just picked up 3 titles, might pick up some more later.
Good Bye, Lenin!
Badassssss!
Raising Victor Vargas SE
Old 03-11-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered 4 ...I think ... like yesterday or something...I'm 99% sure I ordered em as I put em in my wishlist first, then to the cart and checked out ..but I've yet to receive the first email (or the second) ...ah well...
Old 03-11-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I ordered 4 ...I think ... like yesterday or something...I'm 99% sure I ordered em as I put em in my wishlist first, then to the cart and checked out ..but I've yet to receive the first email (or the second) ...ah well...
You have to click three times until your order goes through. 1 Go to secure checkout. 2 Continue checkout. 3 Place order. And somewhere in there is usually a pop up thing. I had one order last fall that I didnt go through all the steps.
Old 03-11-06, 06:12 PM
Banned

Haven't seen anyone recommend SHADOW MAGIC...about a westerner bringing motion pictures to China. My wife and I both absolutely LOVED this movie and bought it earlier. Both funny and touching (wonderful romance between the lead Chinese actors) and containing many nice touches (the scene depicting the startled audience's initial reaction to seeing a train coming "toward" them on the screen is priceless). This has become one of our favorite films...great rewatchablity factor.
Old 03-11-06, 06:58 PM

I'm not sure what I'll get yet, but here are my recommendations-Girl, Circus, Splendor, Twin Falls Idaho, Desert Blue, Threesome, Dream for an Insomniac, Mr. Sardonicus, The Governess, & New Best Friend. I think I'm going to have to go through these pages & make a list of foreign films I want to rent because I haven't really seen many.
Old 03-11-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ernestrp
You have to click three times until your order goes through. 1 Go to secure checkout. 2 Continue checkout. 3 Place order. And somewhere in there is usually a pop up thing. I had one order last fall that I didnt go through all the steps.
yeah I know .. I've ordered from DDD before.. I'm pretty sure I got to the final page with the big letters saying you'll get a confirmation in 24 hours...I think my order just..disappeared...If I didn't ...though I'm pretty sure I did, the titles I had in my cart/wishlist have vanished ..just seems odd..
Old 03-11-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, pick out a few duds among a couple hundred. I love the Wal-Mart bin, but there's a lot more crap in there than this sale.
Old 03-11-06, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
I'm so glad DDD isn't combining this with a B2G1 sale like the Buena Vista one a few months ago. I wouldn't be able to resist and would probably buy 25% of what is in the sale. So many quality independent/foreign films.
The B2G1 sales usually end up averaging around $6/dvd, so I see this sale as equivalent, except you don't have to buy in multiples of 3. Plus these titles are going OOP, so who knows when you'll have the opportunity to buy them at this price again. I noticed some of them are already no longer available from Amazon.

DDD is still having their B2G1 sale on MGM discs.
Old 03-11-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Buena Vista sale a few months back was $6 each + B2G1 so $4 each.

That comment wasn't meant to be taken as anything other than there are quite a few quality titles in this sale and that I would be looking to buy a whole lot more if they were as cheap as the Buena Vista sale.
Old 03-12-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 507 Likes on 202 Posts
James Cameron would be rolling around in his grave right about now...if he were dead.

First someone refers to them as "B movies" and now this? Jesus, just because you haven't seen and/or heard of these particular films does not in any way speak for the quality of them. There's some excellent independent and foreign DVDs in this bunch.
Old 03-12-06, 02:16 AM

Nice prices I ordered the following DVDs:
THE CUCKOO (ENG SUB) (WS)
THE EXPERIMENT
RETURNER
THE SEA IS WATCHING
SAFE
THE MAN WITHOUT A PAST
Old 03-12-06, 08:11 AM

I've been waiting for a good price on SAFE so I grabbed it and a few more titles. I placed an order for the following:

SPIDER
SAFE
DAS EXPERIMENT
CALIFORNIA SPLIT
GOOD BYE, LENIN!
NIL BY MOUTH
Old 03-12-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I downright loathed Velvet Goldmine but loved Far From Heaven, what will I think of Safe?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.