Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Over 200 Sony Catalog titles for $5.98 @ DDD

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 10:40 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I think a poor business decision to overpay for MGM assets could lead to significant restructuring in their home video department to become more profitable. They do have 2 large catalogues to handle now.
Old 03-09-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurricane
I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing Sony will discontinue all of these titles for the long term. What I expect to happen is that they will re-release them with different artwork to stimulate new sales. Just my 2 cents.
Well they can start with Happy Birthday to Me. That coverart is simply awful.

Anyways, I ordered it and Band of the Hand
Old 03-10-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Must Buys!

The Cuckoo
Nil By Mouth
Dreamlife of Angels
My Wife is an actress
RESPIRO
DARK BLUE WORLD SPECIAL EDITION
BONJOUR TRISTESSE
VANYA ON 42ND STREET
THE LADY & THE DUKE
LE DERNIER COMBAT
EAST/WEST

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-10-06, 04:57 AM

Don't like The Vertical Ray of the Sun pro-B?

I will say it once again since no one has seemed to order it but if you want to introduce yourself to the wonderful world of Hal Hartley, Amateur for $5.98 is amazing here. Do give it a try.
Old 03-10-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cfloyd3

I will say it once again since no one has seemed to order it but if you want to introduce yourself to the wonderful world of Hal Hartley, Amateur for $5.98 is amazing here. Do give it a try.
Unfortunately, it's misframed and the PQ is horrid, in general. You think they'll improve it?

I only just found out about this sale, and I cannot believe they are allowing so many amazing films to go OOP. Many of these are cult classics and some of the best foreign films of recent years. They have to be re-released. Many of these titles have been on my wishlist. So these are now out of stock on DDD?
Old 03-10-06, 07:39 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are several that I'd like to order, like Cuckoo or The (Das!) Experiment, but they're reported as 1:85 non-Anamorphic. Is this accurate?

Last edited by FM; 03-10-06 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 07:56 AM

I already have The Experiment and the back of the case states that it is anamorphic.

Originally Posted by FM
There are several that I'd like to order, like Cuckoo or The (Das!) Experiment, but they're reported as 1:85 non-Anamorphic. Is this accurate?
Old 03-10-06, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As another resident film snob, I do recommend this one. I have the Artificial Eye version, which has a half-hour documentary but reportedly lower picture quality.

Hmm, all of the reviews I see of this one are lukewarm at best. I might still get it on your recommendation, though. Of Hartley's films, I've only seen No Such Thing and The Unbelievable Truth, both of which I thought were okay.

Other film-snob-approved films from the list:

Loving
Safe
Broken Wings
The Dreamlife of Angels
The Cuckoo
Nil by Mouth
Va Savoir
Vanya on 42nd Street
The Lady and the Duke
The Man Without a Past
Raising Victor Vargas
Timecode
Old 03-10-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 470 Likes on 263 Posts
I have many of these titles already, but i still found ones that I want and ordered over 25...i am nuts!!
Old 03-10-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepDiscountDVD
Hey everyone,

These are not price drops, this will be a limited time sale and while supplies last only.

These titles are being discontinued by Sony, so when they're gone they're gone.
Graciously appreciated. Guess I'll have to have a gander at some of these now.

I wonder why some of them are going out of print already? California Split and Badassss!!! only came out last year on DVD, I thought.
Old 03-10-06, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Unfortunately, it's misframed and the PQ is horrid, in general. You think they'll improve it?

It is a bit difficult to call it badly misframed. It is a strange 1:55:1 transfer instead of 1:66:1. I personally don't find it that much of an issue. It is not as I'd like it to be but that is all there is and it is not exactly full frame.
Old 03-10-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Other film-snob-approved films from the list: The Lady and the Duke
I'm a fan of Rohmer's usual fare - haven't seen any of the atypical works like "Lady/Duke". Will I like this film for more than the visuals? Will I be appalled by the politics of it?
Old 03-10-06, 10:29 AM

It is a strange 1:55:1 transfer instead of 1:66:1.
Where are you getting that info from? EDIT: Wait. Scratch that. I thought you were talking about Vertical Ray. You meant the Hartley film. My bad.

Last edited by slothroplt; 03-10-06 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 10:47 AM

I noted that as well but went to other websites to confirm that there were indeed anamoprhic, I think DDD's listings are typos and alot of these listed that way.
Old 03-10-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is a bit difficult to call it badly misframed. It is a strange 1:55:1 transfer instead of 1:66:1. I personally don't find it that much of an issue. It is not as I'd like it to be but that is all there is and it is not exactly full frame.
I was utterly annoyed when I got the DVD and saw the opening credits. Those lines that slowly bounce around the screen are supposed to be connected, but with this framing you do not see that. It screws up a beautiful visual, esp. accompanied with Ned Rifle's (a.k.a Hartley himself) haunting score. I saw this in the movies and the visual impression of the film was half of it (the other the dead-pan quality of the acting, which is why most people hate Hartley's movies). This DVD is screwed up, yet so damn obscure that I fear this may be the only ever DVD of this movie in R1, but it won’t leave nearly the good impression as a cinematic presentation, or a correctly framed DVD without the hazy PQ.
Old 03-10-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to say thanks to DDD for the great prices...however, I bought quite a few titles based on their post that these are going out of print...I hope this is true, as I wouldn't have spent so much money otherwise.
Old 03-10-06, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phibes
I noted that as well but went to other websites to confirm that there were indeed anamoprhic, I think DDD's listings are typos and alot of these listed that way.
agreed!!! I ordered some titles from the 2 for 1 MGM sale and goofed by not checking IMDB first as a couple were not anamorphic as listed,(ie. misery and others)-
smurr
Old 03-10-06, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I'm a fan of Rohmer's usual fare - haven't seen any of the atypical works like "Lady/Duke". Will I like this film for more than the visuals? Will I be appalled by the politics of it?
As you mentioned, the visuals are the big draw, but the character drama is also interesting. Politically speaking.... eh, what can you say? Rohmer's a conservative and not a very subtle or thoughtful one at that. For better or worse, I just write it off. It's still an enjoyable film.
Old 03-10-06, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the comments and suggestions above (and OP). Picked up:

RETURNER $ 5.98
MATINEE IDOL/AMERICAN DREAM $ 5.98
DARK BLUE WORLD (SE) $ 5.98

I'll check reviews on some others and may place another order.
Old 03-10-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A few quick comments:

I own quite a few of the titles listed in this sale (for exmaple I did not mention Va Savoir) and you have to keep in mind that not all of these are top notch quality. The Hal Hartley film is also mis-framed. For those that are concerned...Das Experiment is anamorphic. Also, I can not recommend highly enough Dark Blue World (as well as the director's Oscar-nominated work Kolya)!!

As to Hal Hartley....this is not on the English-speaking forums yet but MK2 are preapring a set of his works that is supposedly coming out this summer. I would strongly recommend that you wait a bit!

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-10-06 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Also, I can not recommend highly enough Dark Blue World (as well as the director's Oscar-nominated work Kolya)!!
Interesting, I didn't connect the dots between those two films. Kolya was almost a very good film, but it was dragged down by its sentimentality. In this sense it is the prototypical Best Foreign Picture nominee. Does Dark Blue World share Kolya's "heartwarming" sensibilities?
Old 03-10-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Dark Blue World share Kolya's "heartwarming" sensibilities?
I agree with you on Kolya. I also was interested in Dark Blue World, but I've seen reviews of the film which mentions that it also gets too sentimentalized. It also uses footage from the film Battle of Britain. Those 2 points makes me apprehensive about buying it.
Old 03-10-06, 02:53 PM

For someone who is unfamiliar with majority of those titles - what would you recommend as a blind buy from re-watchability point of view. I know it's different strokes for different folks, fellows, just asking for suggestions.
Old 03-10-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For someone who is unfamiliar with majority of those titles - what would you recommend as a blind buy from re-watchability point of view. I know it's different strokes for different folks, fellows, just asking for suggestions.

There are a lot of good titles here, but my favorite films in this sale are (especially if you are open to independent/foreign films):

Dreamlife of Angels
The Front
Nil by Mouth
California Split
Read My Lips
Fat City
Old 03-10-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sandman1
I will mention one that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread ... See No Evil with Mia Farrow. I think it usually gets somewhat lukewarm reviews, but it scared the bejeezus out of me when I saw it on TV as a teenager in the seventies. And I haven't seen it since, so maybe I can't comment on its re-watchability after all. But I think it's a solid thriller and would hold up to repeated viewings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.