Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hollywood Video - All PVD's 4 for $20 Until Tuesday 2/14 (Franchise Stores Only)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hollywood Video - All PVD's 4 for $20 Until Tuesday 2/14 (Franchise Stores Only)

Old 02-13-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is only at franchise stores and not corporate ones from what they said.

Every single previously viewed DVD they sell is part of a Valentine's Day sale they are running where all titles are 4 for $20 (until Tuesday I believe).

Some titles found..

Me and You and Everyone You Know
Broken Flowers
Polar Express, The
Hitch
War of the Worlds
March of the Penquins
Dark Water
Exorcism of Emily Rose
Cinderella Man
L4yer Cake
Land of the Dead
Wedding Crashers
Interpreter
Assassination of Richard Nixon
The Island
Millions
Mr & Mrs Smith
Hustle & Flow
Red Eye
Serenity
Bad News Bears
Skeleton Key
Charlie & Chocolate Factory
Fever Pitch
Must Love Dogs
Lord of War
Old 02-13-06, 12:34 AM
Suspended

I know this stupid how can you these stores apart? Corporate vs Franchise???????

Thanks
Old 02-13-06, 12:47 AM

I find good deals at Hollywood videos sometimes but I hate those damn pvd wraparound stickers... tough to get off.
Old 02-13-06, 01:10 AM

Yeah, abintra, could you please tell us the difference between the franchise store and corporate store?
Old 02-13-06, 01:22 AM
Banned

I didn't even know Hollywood had franchises. We merged with Movie Gallery, and Movie Gallery doesn't franchise their stores. This is a head scratcher.
Old 02-13-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Corporate vs Franchise.. I have no idea how to tell the difference. Online store locator doesn't specify and I don't believe there is anyway to tell either externally nor internally outside of asking (though I don't know a way to tell Blockbuster corporate versus franchise either).

I specifically asked if it was just a single location sale or every Hollywood Video, in order to find out whether it was something worth sharing here, and they said it was all franchise locations but not corporate.

Being new to Hollywood Video, I didn't even know that a franchise location was anything out of the ordinary.
Old 02-13-06, 01:39 AM
Banned

Well, Movie Gallery is a corporate chain. Hollywood, as I have read, franchises their stores (independently owned for those of that are confused) Blockbuster on the other hand, are mostly franchise stores.

But, yeah, best thing to do is ask. The individual stores can contact their District Managers regarding that. They should know.
Old 02-13-06, 07:46 AM

Why not just call and ask if they are participating in the sale?
Old 02-13-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is weird that it would be at all franchaise stores - for blockbuster franchaises no two are ever the same. So I find it hard to believe that all franchaises would do one thing but all the corporate ones would not. Maybe all franchaises owned by one specific owner.

FWIW, this is the first time I ever heard of HWV having franchaises.
Old 02-13-06, 07:55 AM

well, I just checked out the main website http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/specia...spotlight.aspx

it does indeed say 4 for $20- for PVDs $7.99 and under. It specifically excludes $9.99 and over discs..Otherwise they are 3 for $25 - typically BBV sale.

I highly doubt the new releases listed at the beginning of the thread are already selling for under $8??? This is great if true, but just sounds low for relatively new releases.
Old 02-13-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkshadowdog
I find good deals at Hollywood videos sometimes but I hate those damn pvd wraparound stickers... tough to get off.
I don't have trouble getting those stickers off, but the residue left from he scanner tag (when they were on the rental shelves) are annoying. I just use goo gone to remove it... However, I prefer Hollywood Video's cases than Blockbuster's custom ones.
Old 02-13-06, 11:38 AM

My local store (Poulsbo, WA) has more used DVDs than they know what to do with. Last week they marked all of them down to $8.33. They dragged out those long boxes of unshelved used DVDs (the secret stash) normally hidden underneath the display tables for all to browse and even put hand-drawn signs on colored paper throughout the store to remind people of the sale.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they mark everything down even further...and I'm going to check today.
Old 02-13-06, 11:39 AM
Reviewer Emeritus

Are Hollywood Video's DVD EVER complete w/ inserts, slipcovers, etc.?

If so, then there is a thing or two to be checked out there.
Old 02-13-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I don't have trouble getting those stickers off, but the residue left from he scanner tag (when they were on the rental shelves) are annoying. I just use goo gone to remove it... However, I prefer Hollywood Video's cases than Blockbuster's custom ones.
Also, it should be mentioned to darkshadowdog that those waraparound stickers can be easily removed if you gently heat them first using a hair dryer.
Then any gooey residue can be removed by using Goo Gone.
Old 02-13-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Not in my experience are these ever included.
Old 02-13-06, 01:20 PM

p.s. called my local HWV. They said they are not even participating in the 4/$20 for PVDs under $8! only 3/$25. grrrr..
Old 02-13-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
Well, Movie Gallery is a corporate chain. Hollywood, as I have read, franchises their stores (independently owned for those of that are confused) Blockbuster on the other hand, are mostly franchise stores.

But, yeah, best thing to do is ask. The individual stores can contact their District Managers regarding that. They should know.
Hollywood experimented with franchising very briefly. They are extremely rare. I believe that former CEO Mark Wattles holds most of them.

Blockbuster stores are not mostly franchised. There are about 1200 franchisees out of 5,000 stores. They have not licensed new franchises in quite some time either.

Hollywood is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Movie Gallery. Meaning that Hollywood is technically a seperate company (for the time being) that is owned by another company (i.e., Saturn and GM in its first inception).
Old 02-13-06, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the tip speedy.
Old 02-13-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

ONCE I got one with an inset. Can't remember what, but it was pretty recent. Never seen a slipcase, though.
Old 02-13-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So many movies don't even include inserts that it's no big deal picking up some movies here.
Old 02-13-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called the three stores near here, and none of 'em are running this sale..
Old 02-13-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The newly built store (5 months old) near me said the sale would start tomorrow, on Valentines, but it's not confirmed if they'll actually participate.

If they did, the sale would only apply to cheaper titles (eg, $7.99 and below) and not the new releases.
Old 02-13-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cupon
If they did, the sale would only apply to cheaper titles (eg, $7.99 and below) and not the new releases.
Isn't that the standard deal that is usually in place? Doesn't sound like any special sale.

So much for specifically asking that one store whether or not it was exclusive to them or not. Apologies on it not being what they stated and applicable to others.
Old 02-13-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
Isn't that the standard deal that is usually in place? Doesn't sound like any special sale.
The store near me has two sales: 3 for $25 (always on) and 2 for $10 ($5.99 titles only).
Old 02-13-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They need to run some mega-sales. My local Hollywood Video is literally drowning in used DVDs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.