Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Old 03-06-06, 08:56 PM
HTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Suncoast at Manhattan Mall (NYC) just went to 40% off with no minimum purchase requirements. Used DVDs are 50% off. 60% off on magazines. 70% off on Christmas items/DVDs.
Old 03-07-06, 11:50 AM

Does anyone know if any other stores have gone to 40% with no minimum?
Old 03-07-06, 12:01 PM

Sam Goody in Monroe NC has gone to 40% off DVDs no minimum purchase quantity. Signs listed indicated no single DVD would be more than $17.99

I picked up
GILDA RADNER best of SNL
OLDBOY
TETSUO: THE IRON MAN
SOUTH PARK season 6
FLAMING LIPS v.o.i.d.
CHILDREN OF NUGGETS cd boxset
Old 03-07-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
Does anyone know if any other stores have gone to 40% with no minimum?
Sunciast in Century II mall near Pittsburgh PA is at 40% with no minimum as well...
Old 03-07-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 85 Likes on 52 Posts
Just got back from a Sam Goody in NJ. All DVDs and CDs were 40% off. Most electronics & musical instruments were 40% off. Sheet music was 60% off, cell phone accessories were 50% off. All store displays & equipment were for sale.
They had two LG 37" plasma/LCD monitors for $1000/each.
Old 03-07-06, 12:56 PM

FYE / Sam Goody

FYE is buying what's left of the Sam Goody / Suncoast stores...I also hear the Media Play stores will become FYE Superstores....
Old 03-07-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorBear
I also hear the Media Play stores will become FYE Superstores....
Interesting. Never heard of an FYE Superstore. If they have a similar pricing strategy to that of Media Play / Wherehouse, they won't last long.
Old 03-07-06, 06:48 PM

One thing I don't think was pointed out yet, that at least was going on in the White Flint Mall, MD location, was that buying 4 or more new titles gets you 50% off your entire purchase. I picked up the following:

Martin - $7.49
Fahrenheit 9/11 - $7.49
March of the Wooden Soldiers - $2.99
The Last Man On Earth - $2.99
Yogilates Advanced (for the wife) - $8.49
Old 03-07-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fahrenheit 9/11 - $7.49
That's $4.88 at Walmart
Old 03-07-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any Peeps in Southern California that can give a scouting of SamGoody/Suncoast Stores that are closing and current prices? Thanks!
Old 03-07-06, 07:14 PM

I just got back from the Suncoast in the Main Place Mall in Santa Ana, CA. They are currently at 40% off and I picked up a couple movies and an SCTV Christmas DVD (for 70% off). They have a large sign reading "No Movie or $17.99" or something to that extent with a disclaimer stating that boxed sets aren't included. However, I tried to get a $40 Criterion for $17.99 but was denied.
I'm not certain when they went to 40% but it was probably quite recently.
There's still quite a bit of stock but its all extremely disorganized.
Old 03-07-06, 08:29 PM

One thing I don't think was pointed out yet, that at least was going on in the White Flint Mall, MD location, was that buying 4 or more new titles gets you 50% off your entire purchase. I picked up the following:

Martin - $7.49
Fahrenheit 9/11 - $7.49
March of the Wooden Soldiers - $2.99
The Last Man On Earth - $2.99
Yogilates Advanced (for the wife) - $8.49
Do you know how many days the store has left? Was there a sign posted?
Old 03-07-06, 08:38 PM

the store in lincolnwood mall here looks like crap. picked up a few posters for cheap for some of my buddies and then looked on the shelf out of curiosity. walked out with my own private idaho and wild strawberries at about 20 bucks each. never thought i would shop at suncoast...BTw, the last day for thi sstore is sunday.
Old 03-07-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I went to the Suncoast in Tallahassee tonight. They are currently at 40% off - selling everything including fixtures. A Sam Goody in the same mall is closing in 5 days and they sent most of their better DVDs over to Suncoast today.

Went ahead and got 24 Season 4 since I had $25 worth of Replay Reward certificates and paid $18 out-of-pocket for it. Most of the DVDs had really been picked over. They did have a LOT of Seinfeld Seasons though, including multiple copies of the gift set.

Also, the clerk told me they sold all the cool Star Wars lightsabers for $84 each when the price went to 30% off.

Last edited by leeta; 03-07-06 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mulder
the store in lincolnwood mall here looks like crap. picked up a few posters for cheap for some of my buddies and then looked on the shelf out of curiosity. walked out with my own private idaho and wild strawberries at about 20 bucks each. never thought i would shop at suncoast...BTw, the last day for thi sstore is sunday.

you talking about the lincolnwood mall in IL (on touhy and mccormick)? are they only at 40% off too?
Old 03-07-06, 09:21 PM

just got back from suncoast / sam goody in garden state plaza, paramus nj -

suncoast - still has some selection of titles, all is marked 40% off sticker... most prices are barely competetive with DDD... so i passed on all of it. signs were up saying that this coming saturday would be their last day... i will return saturday morning in case of a drasitic reduction in prices.

sam goody - better selection of dvd's believe it or not... and still a lot of tv on dvd... that with the 40% is actually beating most online retailers, but not by much... no idea when they are closing... i'll check back w/them saturday as well.
Old 03-07-06, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEIGNORANT
Do you know how many days the store has left? Was there a sign posted?
They believed that their last day would be this Monday.
Old 03-07-06, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. This Monday as in yesterday, or this coming Monday?
Old 03-07-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
Be careful out there. I just picked up Night Gallery Season 1 at the local closing Suncoast. When I opened it, it was missing Disc 3. Instead, it has 2 Disc 2s. The store won't take it back and because the store had been bought by a liquidator, the other Suncoast won't exchange it. I'm going to have to e-mail Universal.

Sigh.
Old 03-08-06, 12:12 AM

I was in Garden State Plaza this afternoon as well. Picked up the MGM Village/Children of the Damned disc for $9 + tax. It's $9.06 at DDD. (I've got a liking for John Wyndham. Pity so little of his output made it to the screen...)
Old 03-08-06, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Stopped by the Suncoast in Highland Mall in Austin on Monday afternoon. Signs outside proclaimed "Store Closing in 5 Days"! Most DVDs were at 40% off, with a few holiday titles in a display at 70% off and the Used section at 50% (with a bunch of seen-'em-everywhere-used-and-much-cheaper-too titles). The store was still about 1/2 to 2/3 full. They had a handful of (obscure to me) Criterions left for those who are interested. I picked through what was of interest to me (mainly music, TV and sci-fi) but still had trouble convincing myself that I would be getting a worthwhile deal on most DVDs. I did grab "Peter Gabriel: Still Growing Up - Live and Unwrapped" for $18 after the discount which seems to be a reasonable deal (although still not as cheap as it would be during DDD's 20% off sale). I asked the cashier about their last day and she said it was Sunday.
Old 03-08-06, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux
Stopped by the Suncoast in Highland Mall in Austin on Monday afternoon. Signs outside proclaimed "Store Closing in 5 Days"! Most DVDs were at 40% off, with a few holiday titles in a display at 70% off and the Used section at 50% (with a bunch of seen-'em-everywhere-used-and-much-cheaper-too titles). The store was still about 1/2 to 2/3 full. They had a handful of (obscure to me) Criterions left for those who are interested. I picked through what was of interest to me (mainly music, TV and sci-fi) but still had trouble convincing myself that I would be getting a worthwhile deal on most DVDs. I did grab "Peter Gabriel: Still Growing Up - Live and Unwrapped" for $18 after the discount which seems to be a reasonable deal (although still not as cheap as it would be during DDD's 20% off sale). I asked the cashier about their last day and she said it was Sunday.
Went to that same one on Friday. Didn't really see anything good that was too cheap. I picked up a used miracle on 34th street for 4.79 and a jackie chan triple pack for 3.20. I went to the Lakeline one on sunday and they were still at 30%. I asked the guy there when theyre closing, and he said it was going to be around the second week of april, but they might close early like april 1 since theyre sale is going well.
Old 03-08-06, 04:30 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
Went to that same one on Friday. Didn't really see anything good that was too cheap. I picked up a used miracle on 34th street for 4.79 and a jackie chan triple pack for 3.20. I went to the Lakeline one on sunday and they were still at 30%. I asked the guy there when theyre closing, and he said it was going to be around the second week of april, but they might close early like april 1 since theyre sale is going well.
Wow, I hadn't realized that the Suncoast in Lakeline was closing as well. I was going by the link on the first page of this thread to the article that listed their store closings (and only Highland was noted for Austin). Do you have any idea if the Barton Creek store is going out of business too?
Old 03-08-06, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I hadn't realized that the Suncoast in Lakeline was closing as well. I was going by the link on the first page of this thread to the article that listed their store closings (and only Highland was noted for Austin). Do you have any idea if the Barton Creek store is going out of business too?
Yeah, I went to my nearest Sam Goody, which wasn't on the list, last week (about 25 miles away in Moberly, MO). I hadn't been there for a few months and to my surprise, they were closed and had the For Lease signs up. Damn that list!
Old 03-08-06, 07:22 AM

It's on the list, you just have to look closer. It's listed under Cedar Park. The Barton Creek location is not closing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.