Reload this Page >

ELITE Horror titles as low as $4.23 @ DDD

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

ELITE Horror titles as low as $4.23 @ DDD

Old 02-05-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The 'Eaten Alive' included in that set is a different film altogether. Still, a damn good price, though.
Wow, good call. Ha ha. Thanks a lot for pointing that out.
Old 02-05-06, 12:48 PM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts
For those of you trying to decide between the two NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD DVDs, there is a comparison at DVD Beaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...livingdead.htm
Old 02-05-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, thanks to the OP for pointing out this sale...

Here's what I went for after looking them all up on DVDTalk:

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (ME) $ 8.45 1 $ 8.45
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD MILLENNIUM EDT $ 10.57 1 $ 10.57
THAT LITTLE MONSTER $ 4.23 1 $ 4.23
UZUMAKI $ 8.45 1 $ 8.45
COMMUNION (SE) $ 6.33 1 $ 6.33
POPCORN $ 4.23 1 $ 4.23
THE JANITOR $ 6.33 1 $ 6.33
EATEN ALIVE $ 6.33 1 $ 6.33
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: FREE
Your Total: $54.92

And if I hadn't already had Re-Animator (ME), I would've been all over that, for the record, so pick it up if you don't already have it.
Old 02-05-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The 'Eaten Alive' included in that set is a different film altogether. Still, a damn good price, though.
I love Media Blaster's three packs, haha.
Old 02-05-06, 02:57 PM

The released dates threw me off, I thought the SE was a brand new edition.

I ordered the ME...
Old 02-05-06, 03:55 PM

I'm finally picking up Re-Animator along with a few more titles that look nice at these prices.

Picked up these also:
Uzumaki
Communion
The Janitor
Eaten Alive
Old 02-05-06, 04:16 PM

I also remember the movie looking very '80s so it has to be RotLD.
It might be Return of the Living Dead part 2.

Anyways, is Communion a good film? I remember seeing it but forgot what it's like.
Old 02-06-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mann Made
OT: Does anyone know the name of the horror movie where the zombies eat brains (and not necessarily flesh)? I remember watching it as a kid but never knew the title of the movie.

I used to think, before I got my degree in horror film education, that the Return of the Living Dead Films were linked to Romeros films, I guess just because of the Living Dead in the title. Anyway, they're more humor-laced homages to Romero's films than anything else, but certainly worth a look. Return of the Living Dead part one is the one most horror enthusiasts consider a classic. Part 2 is just goofy, but ranks pretty high on the campiness meter. Part 3 almost has nothing to do with the other 2 and is mainly about a hot zombie chick and her confused boyfriend who tries to keep her from killing everyone.

The 1990 Night of the Living Dead remake, directed by legendary special effects make-up artist/part-time actor Tom Savini, ranks up there along with Romero's films. It's basically a straight forward remake with more trademark Savini gore. Savini did the effects and make-up for the original NOTLD when he was just a kid in high school and later did the effects for Dawn of the Dead after coming back from Vietnam.

Chances are you're talking about Return of the Living Dead part 1 or 2 though.
Old 02-06-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
stonecountry, are you sure about Tom working on NOTLD? I always thought his first dead movie was Dawn.
As far as ROTLD/Romero films connection, apparently ROTLD was based on a book by John A Russo, who helped write NOTLD. He then wanted to go a different route for a sequel then Romero, so in the end Russo got to do Living Dead movies, whereas Romero just did Dead so they could keep separate continuity.
Old 02-06-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
stonecountry, are you sure about Tom working on NOTLD? I always thought his first dead movie was Dawn.
As far as ROTLD/Romero films connection, apparently ROTLD was based on a book by John A Russo, who helped write NOTLD. He then wanted to go a different route for a sequel then Romero, so in the end Russo got to do Living Dead movies, whereas Romero just did Dead so they could keep separate continuity.
Savini was in Vietnam as a camera man, so wasn't able to work on NOTLD.

Also, from what I understand the Russo/Romero "split" after NOTLD was less than amicable, and came down to $$$ and film rights (which is why NOTLD is in the public domain...)
Old 02-06-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joltman,

Actually, he didn't do much on the original NOTLD. He was originally scheduled to be the main make-up artist, as he and Romero have been friends for many years, but he got drafted to go to Vietnam just before filming began. Thus, he isn't credited on the film, but he did help conceptually and got a few ideas in there.
Old 02-06-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
Savini was in Vietnam as a camera man, so wasn't able to work on NOTLD.

Also, from what I understand the Russo/Romero "split" after NOTLD was less than amicable, and came down to $$$ and film rights (which is why NOTLD is in the public domain...)

I think Romero blames Russo somewhat for them losing the copyright on NOTLD. The film was originally titled "Night of the Flesh Eaters" and was coprighted as such. However, the distributors didn't like that name for promoting it to drive-in theaters aimed at younger audiences, so they changed it to "Night of the Living Dead". However, a new copyright was never issued under the new title before releasing the film, thus making it almost instantly in the public domain, having been commercially released widespread with no binding copyright. The original copyrights were in Russo's name only too, so George probably blames him somewhat for that. They made almost nothing on NOTLD. That's one of the main reasons Romero helped with Savini's remake in 1990 and Russo re-issued the DREADFUL 30th anniversary edition with ridiculous new footage. They both made more profit from those ventures than the original NOTLD. Of course, they both have equal claim to the screenplay, as they co-wrote it.
Old 02-06-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecountry
I think Romero blames Russo somewhat for them losing the copyright on NOTLD. The film was originally titled "Night of the Flesh Eaters" and was coprighted as such. However, the distributors didn't like that name for promoting it to drive-in theaters aimed at younger audiences, so they changed it to "Night of the Living Dead". However, a new copyright was never issued under the new title before releasing the film, thus making it almost instantly in the public domain, having been commercially released widespread with no binding copyright. The original copyrights were in Russo's name only too, so George probably blames him somewhat for that. They made almost nothing on NOTLD. That's one of the main reasons Romero helped with Savini's remake in 1990 and Russo re-issued the DREADFUL 30th anniversary edition with ridiculous new footage. They both made more profit from those ventures than the original NOTLD. Of course, they both have equal claim to the screenplay, as they co-wrote it.
Well, Bill Lustig has his hand in the 30th Anniv NOTLD too. there's enough blame to go around.

John Russo owns (owned) the rights to the phrase "LIVING DEAD". That's why "RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD" had that title... because Russo was involved in it. And why Dawn and Day didn't have LIVING DEAD in the title (because Russo wasn't involved, and no one was willing to pay for using it)

To make it even more of a sad affair, Richard Rubenstein owns the rights to "DAWN OF THE DEAD" and "DAY OF THE DEAD".

I'm not even sure of George Romero owns the rights to his own name at this point.
Old 02-06-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a shipping notice for Re-Animator ME and The Janitor today.
Old 02-06-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

5 of the 8 titles I ordered shipped out today:

1 ELE000825 DVD : UZUMAKI $8.45
1 ELE001117 DVD : NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (ME) $10.57
1 ELE002532 DVD : JANITOR, THE $6.33
1 ELE002667 DVD : COMMUNION (SE) $6.33
1 ELE007672 DVD : POPCORN $4.23

Merchandise Total: $35.91
Tax: $.00
Shipping & Processing: $.00
Total for Shipped Items: $35.91

The ones that didn't ship out were:

1 ELE003181 DVD : EATEN ALIVE $6.33
1 ELE004673 DVD : THAT LITTLE MONSTER $4.23
1 ELE007751 DVD : I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (ME) $8.45

DVD Aficionado lists ISOYG (ME) as OOP, so I hope it does actually ship.
Old 02-06-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

2 of my titles shipped today also (Popcorn and Re-animator).

And what's up with Elite these days? No more ME Editions on the agenda?
Old 02-07-06, 12:12 AM

I picked up:
$7.26 IT'S ALIVE 1 2/14
$8.45 I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (ME) 2/21
$9.35 SEED OF CHUCKY (WS/UR) 2/14
$9.50 STARSHIP TROOPERS (SPECIAL EDITION) 2/14
Old 02-07-06, 07:05 AM

I really would like to pick up Communion SE but the description states that it's full screen. I see a bunch of you guys are still ordering this title... is the description a typo or you just don't care that it's fool screen?
Old 02-07-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boss429
I really would like to pick up Communion SE but the description states that it's full screen. I see a bunch of you guys are still ordering this title... is the description a typo or you just don't care that it's fool screen?
As far as I can tell, it's the only edition out. But I could be wrong.
Old 02-07-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also ordered it and assumed it was a typo because all the reviews I could find said it was widescreen 2.35:1. I just went to elite's page and they list the SE as fullscreen. IMDB says the film's OAR is 2.35:1.

http://www.elitedisc.com/xcart/custo...cat=249&page=4

I thought Elite was very pro OAR?

DVD Empire lists the same DVD with the same UPC as 2.35:1 widescreen.
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=9121

I was about to call DDD and ask them to remove Communion from my order. I don't want to waste my money on a non OAR copy.

Last edited by The Void; 02-07-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It IS in fact Widescreen. DDD often lists the incorrect information in terms of specifications and extras. I've had the Communion DVD for a while, and it's a great DVD with a few good extras, including a pretty interesting commentary. This is possibly my favorite realistic Alien movie. Fire in the Sky is up there too. I don't consider the Ridley Scott and James Cameron Alien flicks to be very realistic obviously.

If you ever have a question about a DVD, Amazon.com usually lists the proper information. www.dvdcompare.net is a good place to go too to compare multiple region versions.
Old 02-07-06, 02:05 PM

Is the sale still going on? I clicked the link in the original post and was taken to a page featuring "The Exonarted" and when i try the main page i see no mention of the sale.
Old 02-07-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jlm71176
Is the sale still going on? I clicked the link in the original post and was taken to a page featuring "The Exonarted" and when i try the main page i see no mention of the sale.
Search for the titles individually, they are still at the sale prices.
Old 02-07-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This link should work.
Old 02-07-06, 09:36 PM

why does Night of the Living Dead show a release date of 02/21/06?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.