DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Bewitched S2, Color on Sale But Not B/W?

Old 01-26-06, 10:54 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Bewitched S2, Color on Sale But Not B/W?

Why is it that BestBuy.com has the Bewitched Season 2 in color on sale for $24.99 but the black and white is $34.99? That really upsets me!

Color:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1482464

Black and White:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1482469
The Monkees is offline  
Old 01-27-06, 06:38 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 321
That is kind of annoying. Maybe the color sets aren't selling and they want to unload them? (Wishful thinking on my part.)
icruise is offline  
Old 01-27-06, 05:13 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Or maybe they should just stop making color versions.

Why do most places ONLY carry the color. When I bought the first season I could only find the original Black and White at Suncoast.
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-01-06, 05:48 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
This really irratates me now. I've been putting off buying Season 2 of Bewitched since the first post of this, now I got some extra money and I would like to buy it in B/W of course. But, all the online places and some stores have it for $19.99 but no B/W in sight. The B/W version is $34.99 everywhere online, this sucks ass!

It's the exact same show, only in a different color. What the hell!?!?!??!?!
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-01-06, 06:00 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 488
Why can't you just turn down the COLOR/HUE on your tv? Simple enough...
John*D is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 12:11 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Originally Posted by John*D
Why can't you just turn down the COLOR/HUE on your tv? Simple enough...
Because that's not the original way it was intended to be seen. I want the original black and white, and it's just stupid because it's the same damn show. If anything the colorized version should be more expensive because they had to spend time colorizing it, whereas the black and white was done, nothing needed.
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 12:57 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
seymouru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,170
Clearly there's more demand from J6P for the color version (otherwise places like Target would carry both). Sales are usually offered for higher-demand items in order to drive traffic to the store/site, so it makes some sense from a marketing standpoint that we're not seeing sale pricing on the B&W version.

I think your best bet is to wait a couple of months and get it for $23.89 from DDD, during the sale-that-shall-not-be-named. (That's assuming their current price holds.)
seymouru is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 01:35 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Originally Posted by John*D
Why can't you just turn down the COLOR/HUE on your tv? Simple enough...
Colorization changes the tones and shades, so it's not as simple as that. Turning down the color on colorized images results in several things being close to the same shade of gray, at least on any examples I've seen.
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 07:54 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Originally Posted by seymouru
Clearly there's more demand from J6P for the color version (otherwise places like Target would carry both). Sales are usually offered for higher-demand items in order to drive traffic to the store/site, so it makes some sense from a marketing standpoint that we're not seeing sale pricing on the B&W version.

I think your best bet is to wait a couple of months and get it for $23.89 from DDD, during the sale-that-shall-not-be-named. (That's assuming their current price holds.)
It seems to me the only reason that there is a higher demand for color is because no one does carry the black and white, so people just buy whatever they can get. When I bought season 1 I had to go to Suncoast. And now, sadly, all the Suncoasts are gone, so I'm up shit creek here.
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 08:36 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
seymouru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,170
Originally Posted by The Monkees
It seems to me the only reason that there is a higher demand for color is because no one does carry the black and white, so people just buy whatever they can get.
No one? It's readily available online, as a quick check at DVD PriceSearch will show.

As far as the chicken-and-egg question, the people who run major B&Ms like Wal-Mart and Target are good enough marketers to know what items are worth using up valuable shelf space for. If they're not carrying B&W versions of old TV shows, I believe it's based on their knowledge of consumer demand. You may disagree, but the only reasons I can think of for them not to carry it are related to revenue potential.

Last edited by seymouru; 09-03-06 at 08:41 PM.
seymouru is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 12:49 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Originally Posted by seymouru
No one? It's readily available online, as a quick check at DVD PriceSearch will show.

As far as the chicken-and-egg question, the people who run major B&Ms like Wal-Mart and Target are good enough marketers to know what items are worth using up valuable shelf space for. If they're not carrying B&W versions of old TV shows, I believe it's based on their knowledge of consumer demand. You may disagree, but the only reasons I can think of for them not to carry it are related to revenue potential.
I got no problem buying online, and I never said it was difficult to get it online, I meant finding them at stores (i.e. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.). What really upsets me is that the sale is on the color version and not the B/W version, when it's the same goddamn show!! It makes absolutely no sense! Especially online, that really makes me mad. Now, I can only buy the version that I want buy spending an additional $15! That's nuts!
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-11-06, 06:47 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
seymouru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,170
Your wish has been granted...

Bewitched S2 B&W is on sale at DDD for $18.42 shipped.
seymouru is offline  
Old 09-13-06, 02:13 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Originally Posted by seymouru
Your wish has been granted...

Bewitched S2 B&W is on sale at DDD for $18.42 shipped.
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

I just ordered it!
The Monkees is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.