DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Walmart 2 pack deal (YMMV) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/453386-walmart-2-pack-deal-ymmv.html)

marcellusk 01-24-06 09:13 AM

Walmart 2 pack deal (YMMV)

Walmart has The Fog(remake) and Ghosts of mars for $13.87

freudguy 01-24-06 10:05 AM

To paraphrase an old Dennis Miller joke, crap + crap = crap. Just kidding.

Seriously, this is a good find and is a great deal for a new flick. I'm sure there are fans somewhere rejoicing. Heck, If I hadn't already seen The Fog remake, I'd probably jump on it since I never saw Ghosts of Mars (but probably regret it later, so I hear).

Steve 01-24-06 10:19 AM

run - do not walk - away from Ghost of Mars. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Had it up for sale on e-bay after 20 minutes into the film.

demonio 01-24-06 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
run - do not walk - away from Ghost of Mars. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Had it up for sale on e-bay after 20 minutes into the film.

LMAO and Ghosts Of Mars is like a 5 star classic compared to The Fog remake!!

marcellusk 01-24-06 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
run - do not walk - away from Ghost of Mars.

rotfl

Count_Zero 01-24-06 01:26 PM

Ah, common! No love for Ghost of Mars?!?!? It ain't a classic but it's a good Saturday-night B-flick. Anything John Carpenter does is gold in my book. Maybe I'm just easy to please...

tonymontana313 01-24-06 01:40 PM

I agree with the sentiment here that Ghost of Mars is a piece of turd. In fact the price should be cheaper for the 2 pack since it's included!

Murmur 01-24-06 01:56 PM

IMHO Walmart should be giving these away with purchase. I too made the awful mistake of wasting my life on this movie as well. However...I have an excuse...Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars (of 4) - so I didn't think it would have been that bad. Here is an excerpt of his opinion (I quickly learned not to put too much faith in his reviews).

"John Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars" is a brawny space opera, transplanting the conventions of Western, cop and martial arts films to the Red Planet."

Darkerknight_sc 01-24-06 02:12 PM

Havent seen The Fog remake but wow if it rates BELOW Ghost of Mars I wont be spending any money to see it if I ever do

flee 01-24-06 02:20 PM

Ive never seen the original fog, but saw the remake in theaters, id give it about 2-3 out of 10. Not even worth renting.

C_Fletch 01-24-06 03:55 PM

Yea, The Fog remake looked like a pile of dung when they showed the previews and the original sucked too. Just my opinion though.

mrpeavey 01-24-06 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Yea, The Fog remake looked like a pile of dung when they showed the previews and the original sucked too. Just my opinion though.

Well, I've got to disagree with you about the original. The 1980 THE FOG is one of the BEST ghost movies ever. It was one of my favorite horror films when I was a kid, and it still is today (I think Carpenter's score is just as creepy in it as in Halloween).

That's what makes the remake even more of a "pile of dung" as you put. How on Earth those filmmakers could have taken such classic material and so thoroughly ruin it is beyond me. And don't get me started about the acting. That blonde chick from LOST? Gimme a break. She must have studied under the School of Blank Stare approach to acting.

Bottom Line: Skip the remake but definitely check out the original!

Trevor 01-24-06 09:53 PM

I hate to join a threadcrap, but yes, the Fog remake was horrible. The original is almost a classic, worth a buy IMHO.

Back on topic, this will probably be 19.97 at my local WMs. I never seem to get the $14 price on these packs.

Any other 2 packs at Walmart this week?

abintra 01-25-06 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Any other 2 packs at Walmart this week?

Not new but Whale Rider/Fly Away Home are still something like $10.84. Seemed like a great price for those two films to me.

Snowmaker 01-25-06 07:31 AM

This should be a YMMV thing. My Walmart had it for regular price this morning ($19.xx). Not that I was going to buy it anyway.

cisman 01-25-06 08:43 AM

I'll pass on this....I Did not care for the fog at all. Wasted movie ticket.