DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   DDD 20% Off Sale Nov. 11-19 (STARTED ALREADY! GO BUY!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/444176-ddd-20%25-off-sale-nov-11-19-started-already-go-buy.html)

SkullOrchard 11-10-05 12:53 PM

Well, the Avengers 'Emma Peel' megaset has just jumped from $74.xx to $137.89, roughly a $63.00 price increase. The Saint megaset jumped from $59.xx to $119.00, a $60.00 price increase. Shame on DDD for jacking up the price on so many titles.

Shagrath 11-10-05 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Well, the Avengers 'Emma Peel' megaset has just jumped from $74.xx to $137.89, roughly a $63.00 price increase. The Saint megaset jumped from $59.xx to $119.00, a $60.00 price increase. Shame on DDD for jacking up the price on so many titles.

Weren't these A&E titles on sale before? I don't blame them at all for not running two concurrent sales.

Gigantopithecus 11-10-05 12:55 PM

WOW @ some items actually going up more than 20%

The_Cube 11-10-05 12:56 PM

Alias season 4 went up from $38 to $45. Kicking and Screaming went up $6. In other words, I am not too excited for the sale this year.

fuzzbox 11-10-05 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I know that office space is the same price as it was earlier, still showing for 14 and some change for me.

it looks like the prices on those sets havn't changed- I guess it just surprised me that I was easily able to find 3 sets that Amazon had cheaper. I'm used to making a order of 10 or so titles at DDD and ALL are cheaper there.

but it does disturb me to see a store marking up items pre-sale. It seems rather like that Kay-Bee issue with their "sale" tags with fake list prices on them...

*shrug*

-jason

maxfisher 11-10-05 12:58 PM

In the case of the complete Sex and the City, DDD is around $225 and Amazon's at $190. So the question is, if someone emails [email protected] the link to Amazon, are they going to 1)adjust their price as they have in the past... or 2) email a 20% off coupon and say 'hey, total cost with the coupon is $5 cheaper than Amazon!' If it's the latter, I have the feeling they're going to see a big drop off in business this holiday season.

Engel07 11-10-05 12:58 PM

Alias Season 4 was $38 two hours ago, and now it's $45. Most of the Superbit series were $11, and now it's $20. Even with the 20% discount, it's more expensive LOL. Unbelievable....oh well...i'll wait for a better deal near the holiday season.

LBCrazyFool 11-10-05 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mifuneral
In the last hour Scrubs s2 has gone from 27.89 to 31.79. Nearly a $4 difference. Now, with the discount it'll still be decent (around $25) but I hope I don't see too many more changes like this.

Wait until Tuesday and Scrubs S2 will be cheaper to match the lowest price of either Circuit City or Best Buy.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 11-10-05 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
it looks like the prices on those sets havn't changed- I guess it just surprised me that I was easily able to find 3 sets that Amazon had cheaper. I'm used to making a order of 10 or so titles at DDD and ALL are cheaper there.

but it does disturb me to see a store marking up items pre-sale. It seems rather like that Kay-Bee issue with their "sale" tags with fake list prices on them...

*shrug*

-jason

Don't most stores do this though? I remember when I worked in a store (Kohl's) I had to mark up all of the appliances during the entire stock sales.

pilot 11-10-05 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
In the case of the complete Sex and the City, DDD is around $225 and Amazon's at $190. So the question is, if someone emails [email protected] the link to Amazon, are they going to 1)adjust their price as they have in the past... or 2) email a 20% off coupon and say 'hey, total cost with the coupon is $5 cheaper than Amazon!' If it's the latter, I have the feeling they're going to see a big drop off in business this holiday season.

If I remember correctly from the past, if you want them to match a price, they won't take the 20% off, so you either match the price from amazon (for example) or take 20% off what their current price is..

devynal 11-10-05 01:03 PM

Looks like I won't be getting much either this time around. I was even going to grab the first two seasons of Gilligan's Island but they jumped to almost $30 when they were $18 just a few days ago. Disappointed!

Kicker_of_Elves 11-10-05 01:03 PM

South Park Season 6 went from $26.XX to $35.89 as well. Also noticed the Scrubs set going up as these 2 were the only ones i was planning on getting.

:(

dick_grayson 11-10-05 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard

there's usually a ddd rep that will post (or at least read) the threads when the sales are going on. A big chunk of their revenue comes from posters at this site, so when they see this thread (and others) it should be made clear that we're aware of the price jacking and so on. It hasn't been this bad (or blatant) in the past. I assume they would have raised them a few days before so it wouldn't be so obvious. I'm sure the call was made by higher ups anyway.

flashburn 11-10-05 01:04 PM

Lame, I was hoping to pick up Lost Season 1 for under $30, but I won't bother now that with the sale it will be about the same price as without the sale (~$36).

arsmith7 11-10-05 01:05 PM

Nothing in my wishlist went up :) Hooray for me! My credit card is going to hate me.

fuzzbox 11-10-05 01:05 PM

Don't most stores do this though? I remember when I worked in a store (Kohl's) I had to mark up all of the appliances during the entire stock sales.

It's probably not illegal to do that (though a states Attorney general could give a better answer than me) but it is rather scummy. Especially if, after that sale, you marked the items down again.

And you stand the risk of ailenating customers as well. Remember, in this new age of the internet and Message boards, nobody gets away with anything...

-jason

dvd182 11-10-05 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
It's probably not illegal to do that (though a states Attorney general could give a better answer than me) but it is rather scummy. Especially if, after that sale, you marked the items down again.
-jason

I thought KB Toys got busted for doing this, or something similar. Either way, none of my wishlist titles have been affected (yet), but I could see how it could discourage many.

GaryO 11-10-05 01:12 PM

Dang! I'm usually beyond giddy when the sale begins, but this time around I'm not quite as enthused. Not only are we seeing major price hikes on many items, but for two or three months I had a particular item in my wish list (it's only been out for a month or so) and now all of a sudden it's not on DDD's site at all. It just vanished from the database!

Of course, if I had my way, I'd have loved for them to have put this off one more week because the 22nd is a HUGE day for releases I want. As it is, I'll probably be buying less this time than ever before. Oh well. Can't look a gift horse in the mouth. The only thing that really bothers me is the disappearing box set I mentioned above. It was for the "Gatchaman Collection #3" in case anyone hears what happened to it. The fourth boxed set, which isn't due out till the end of December, is still up for pre-order. But Set 3 isn't.

Gary

RavenTwo 11-10-05 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
Prices that have gone up in the past few hours:
"Lost: Season 1" went from $36.87 to $45.36
"Desperate Housewives: Season 1" went from $36.14 to $45.36
"Mallrats: Extended" went from $16.14 to $19.49

Noticed 'Lost' going up, had it on my wishlist

Same with 'From here to Eternity' Superbit went from just over 11 to 20.34

arsmith7 11-10-05 01:13 PM

I think KB Toys got busted for marking items as on sale when they weren't actually on sale. I think the "law" is a bit more iffy when it comes to entire stock sales. I, for one, don't blame DDD. Most the stuff they sell next week they will be losing money on, if they pump up some of the major releases, more power to them... I'll just avoid those.

Doughboy 11-10-05 01:14 PM

Well I guess I can thank DDD for saving me a lot of money. With all these price hikes, there's no need to bother ordering anything. Who the hell do they think they're kidding with this?

reverie 11-10-05 01:14 PM

This thread exploded mighty quick! I actually have a question if anyone can help.. is this:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=WBD071725
the unrated edition. I know it says NR under rating, but I thought before that it had also said it on the cover. Any help would be appreciated!!

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 11-10-05 01:16 PM

i'm actually surprised that none of the criterions on my list have increased in price. I guess they're too expensive already :)

lordwow 11-10-05 01:19 PM

The WB Sale including ER, West Wing, Smallville (which are still circa 19 at Amazon) have hit $29 at DDD.

Shagrath 11-10-05 01:19 PM

i'm actually surprised that none of the criterions on my list have increased in price. I guess they're too expensive already :)

If they raised these much at all, then there would be little to no point to order them, as even with the discount, they're only a couple of dollars cheaper than their sister company, DVDPlanet.

Last sale, I ended up ordering about $400 or so in Criterions alone. If they jack the prices up on any more of these (they did on a handful a couple of months ago), I won't be buying any.

I understand people not liking that they raised the prices on some things, but I'm sure there are plenty of other perfectly good titles that they haven't changed prices on and will be excellent deals with the discount.