Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Post SW:EIII Prices Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
So since basically no one is selling for $10 this year, what is the best freebie. The litho doesn't really look like anything amazing. How is the coin and the bonus DVD?
Old 11-01-05, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up the DVD at my local FYE. $19.99 - $7 mail in rebate = $12.99

I can live with that.
Old 11-01-05, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
So since basically no one is selling for $10 this year, what is the best freebie. The litho doesn't really look like anything amazing. How is the coin and the bonus DVD?
The litho was lame. I did the BBB route and got it w/o tax at $14.99. I guess the BBBs are treated as non taxable coupons when used on line.

If I had a choice with all prices being equal, I probably would have brought the Walmart bundle but I'm sure the coin was nicer than the litho.
Old 11-01-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At noon, the Wal-mart in Vernon Hills, IL still had a large display at the front door that had Bonus Discs available. The front of the display only had Full-Screen copies, but on each side of the display there were probably more than 30 Widescreen versions with Bonus Discs still available.

Cost was $19.96 before tax.
Old 11-01-05, 02:13 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I think the point is it's best if you just don't give a damn about getting a tiny poster, and get the DVD for the best price you can.
Unless there is a cheaper place that I'm not aware of, I'll get mine from Best Buy since I have some BBBucks to burn anyway, making it $11.99, and I'll take that free litho too
Old 11-01-05, 02:27 PM

That's what I did. I applied $6 in McDonalds Best Buy Bucks online and I just picked it up with the free litho for $8.99 + tax.

Edit: I did need to show my RewardZone card for the litho and it was put on a separate receipt with a $0.01 price although they didn't charge me the penny.)

Bob

Originally Posted by eau
Unless there is a cheaper place that I'm not aware of, I'll get mine from Best Buy since I have some BBBucks to burn anyway, making it $11.99, and I'll take that free litho too

Last edited by Bob_F1; 11-01-05 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-01-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by eau
The point is - you don't have to be a RZ member in order to get the lithograph (costs a cent). Couple of weeks ago the Cinderella litho rang up like $25 unless you were a RZ member.
Are you sure?

I think some cashier's just don't ask maybe. As soon as I laid down the DVD and litho, he immediately asked if I was a RZ member. I was under the impression that they won't sell it to someone who isn't a RZ member.

Oh well, its a POS litho anyways.
Old 11-01-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
But if the price isn't listed in the ad, as seems to be the case across the board with Ep III, how can you do the pricematch?

And I don't know if trying to explain to a WalMart employee that a price printed near an image of Ep III is in fact the price for Ep III is going to work.
Worked fine , wife had to speak with a manager who didn't wanna go for it but she explained the price at CC and that she would get a free litograph or Target at $14.99 and she got a freebie coin . Manager said OK and matched it at $14.99 with the bonus disc

Id say it's easier if you get a register worker who does not give a poo about Walmart earning a profit . My last trip the worker did not even bat a eye , she just changed the price . This time the worker gave my wife the "Uhh , I dunno if I can" .
So , if that's the case . I'd go solo with the movie and if the first shoots you down . Go get another and try a different register so not to have to be in a squabble with a walmart nazi .
Old 11-01-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
That may be true. Ive never done it before so I was wondering how it would work. I doubt anyone here is buying EP I + II so I may never though. Instead of wasting time I may just price match the $14.99 price at WalMart on the Bonus Disc. I just called and talked to a manager and he said they would do it.

19.96 at my WM. Does anyone know if Walmart price matches universally? Or if it is a case by case thing, like above where person talked to manager. I want to see if they will pricematch Target or something on the dvd with the bonus disc. Also, if they do pricematch, do you need the ad from the other store?
Old 11-01-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, that disc is a complete waste of $4 or whatever extra it cost. Full frame clips of the series with R2 and 3PO walking you through the events.
Old 11-01-05, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

yeah, the litho is nice btw. its not some terrible pos.
Old 11-01-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For New Jersey ppl, Electronics Expo was advertising it for $12.99 (150 copies available). I was able to price match the ad to a Best Buy in NYC and I got the litho
Old 11-01-05, 07:44 PM

It seems to me that every store's bonus item was lame, my wal mart had so many 2 packs of bonus discs they had boxes stacked next to the display. Don't think the whole "limited issue" thing is that big of a deal. All the bonus disc is, is a space taker upper.
Old 11-01-05, 07:50 PM

I got the 3 disc set from Wal-Mart for $15.99 WOW that $1.50 for that bonus disc works for me.
Old 11-01-05, 09:20 PM

My strategy was to go to K-Mart to get Ep III for $18.99 and then Ep I and II for $8.99 each. But I got schooled on the use of conjunctions by a young department manager. According to her the "or" in the ad only entitled me to one of the first two episodes for $8.99 and not both. Now had it said "and" then I would have been able to get both. She may be right but it seems to be a tad misleading. I then told her, "Oh yeah, now I remember why I never buy DVDs at K-Mart."
Old 11-01-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by James W. Powell
Wow, that disc is a complete waste of $4 or whatever extra it cost. Full frame clips of the series with R2 and 3PO walking you through the events.
Is the Walmart bonus DVD really that lame? It says it's nearly an hour of material, so it's hard to believe they could come up with an hour of boringness. Was it especially made for Walmart recently or is it an older Star Wars special made for some other purpose?

By the way, the Walmart clerks as usual wouldn't pricematch the SW3 with the bonus DVD because it has to be the exact same item as what competitors sell (wrapping them together makes it a different item in Walmart's eyes, so I'm surprised some people have luck PM'ing these bonus DVDs). It didn't matter when I told them about BBY's lithograph or TGT's coin. This is the way it has always been for me whenever there is a bonus DVD at Walmart no matter who I talk to because they'd rather not make a sale than sell something for too little profit margin. And this is the same store where years ago I wanted to pricematch an ad for TDK VHS tapes (yes back in the VHS days) where the competitor's ad showed a T120 10 pack for something like $9.99 and Walmart only had 5 packs, so I brought up 2 5 packs and they said it was not the same item. I said 2 5 packs = 1 10 pack of the same item. It didn't matter. The only reason I ask now is because I'm already there checking out and I'm curious to see if they ever bend their rules... 5 years and counting and not a single exception.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-01-05 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-01-05, 11:25 PM

I went for the commemorative coin at Target for $14.99. At least I can use that as a "card guard" for poker.
Old 11-01-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
I bought one with a bonus disc for $20 but don't know if I'll hold onto it or what. I saw the target coin and it is pretty nice. It comes in a nice plastic case. The front looks pretty good while the back is pretty lame. It is of Obi and Ani fighting but isn't that clear. I'll probably get that one too and see which one I keep.

It was so much easier when we just had to wonder who has the cheapest price. I hate that I care about the freebies.
Old 11-02-05, 01:44 AM

Already posted this in the "Lithograph vs. Extra Disc" thread, but figured some people here would be interested:

For those still wondering, the coin seems to be the most collectable/coolest of the 3 choices (disc, lithograph, coin). I think it's pretty nice and it comes in a plastic case, like one of ones to keep it in mint condition. On the front it has Darth Vader and it says Limited Edition on the top and Star Wars Episode III on the bottom. On the back it has Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting with lightsabers and it says Limited Edition on the top again. Packaging-wise, it was attached to the box in this cool little holder under the shrinkwrap. The little cardboard holder says Target Exclusive Limited Edition Collectable Coin and it has this cool picture of Anakin and Obi Wan fighting. All in all, pretty nice, and I like the plastic case they put it in. I was thinking it would just be some junk thing.
Old 11-02-05, 02:29 AM

East Portland Wal-Mart had the price with Bonus Disk as $19.96, but it rang up at the register as $15.96. Also Office Space had a price of $14.96, but rang up as $11.88. I can never figure out their pricing.
Old 11-02-05, 02:58 AM
Cool New Member

Is there a pic of the front and back of the Target coin anywhere? I've googled, went to theforce.net and am curious what the back looks like and how it's packaged. It's not plastic, but metal, right? Someone on the forum at theforce.net was saying that on the back of the coin, there are 2 people battling with swords as opposed to lightsabers. I hope Target still has the coin tomorrow, and with a widescreen DVD. Was anyone's Target already out of the coin? I am hoping to stop there after work tomorrow if it looks like Target got in plenty of copies.
Old 11-02-05, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by PlumPeach
My strategy was to go to K-Mart to get Ep III for $18.99 and then Ep I and II for $8.99 each. But I got schooled on the use of conjunctions by a young department manager. According to her the "or" in the ad only entitled me to one of the first two episodes for $8.99 and not both. Now had it said "and" then I would have been able to get both. She may be right but it seems to be a tad misleading. I then told her, "Oh yeah, now I remember why I never buy DVDs at K-Mart."
WalMart's prices were less, and there were no restrictions. If your local WalMart is like mine, you could've gotten Ep III for $14.84 and Ep I and II for $8.84 each.

I never even think of looking at Kmart for DVDs. I know they never have jack.
Old 11-02-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TerryMcGinnis
Is there a pic of the front and back of the Target coin anywhere?
Check the "litho vs. extra disc" thread. I would post the pic here, but it seems to be from the poster's ebay auction, so I don't want to screw with his bandwidth.

EDITED TO ADD: Try this link to view his post. That way it won't load just because someone refreshes this page.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 11-02-05 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-02-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to BB and yes in my opinion the Litho was very lame. I went for the extra disk at Walmart.
Old 11-02-05, 12:33 PM

I ended up with the coin. I agree, I think it is the most collectable out of the 3. The litho would just be garbage in a month (also, I don't think it looks good at all). The "Story of SW" sounds like crap. At least the coin looks cool, and maybe it will be worth $5 someday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.