DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Paramount Television Series $12.99 at Costco (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/442805-paramount-television-series-%2412-99-costco.html)

honeybefly 10-25-05 03:30 PM

Paramount Television Series $12.99 at Costco

Just got back from Costco, and I picked up the first three seasons of Brady Bunch for $12.99 ($24.99 + $12 instant rebate.) They also had: Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, MacGyver, Cheers, and a few others.

petroc 10-25-05 04:31 PM

Star Trek at that price, even doubled would be a no-brainer. Oh we can dream.

dvd-fanman 10-25-05 06:51 PM

Can't find Brady Bunch Season 1 at my local Costco :(

kenbenobi 10-25-05 07:56 PM

I hope Sam's Club does this, too...

Fife 10-26-05 01:10 AM

Both of the Costcos near me seem to have pulled these from the shelf.

John-In-VA 10-26-05 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by petroc
Star Trek at that price, even doubled would be a no-brainer. Oh we can dream.

I hear ya.

Yo Mama 10-26-05 12:53 PM

Are these for all seasons of all the listed series?

Jim 10-26-05 01:13 PM

They also have Hogan's Heroes and The Andy Griffith Show at that price (actually $13.99 at some stores). The selection varies by store. I've seen all seasons (that are out) of Brady Bunch, Hogan's Heroes, and Andy Griffith.

Surfinhank 10-26-05 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fife
Both of the Costcos near me seem to have pulled these from the shelf.

Can you elaborate? Where are you located?

Dabaomb 10-26-05 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank

yeah, I love when ppl say this. "My local store"....it would be nice to know what location that is.

Or at least put a location in your profile or something.

Abbadon74 10-26-05 08:41 PM

Actually, does anyone have a list of featured sets? I read Star Trek, but would someone be willing to elaborate on which series?

Thanks in advance,

-B

neocheddar02 10-27-05 12:27 AM

I didn't check this deal out at my costco yet, but I think they meant they wished Star Trek was part of this deal.

Fife 10-27-05 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank

Central Florida (Orlando area).

lucyricky 10-27-05 01:37 AM

40th Street and Thomas in Phoenix had Brady Bunch both 1 & 2, Mork & Mindy, Cheers, Andy Griffith and Hogan Heroes..didn't see Laverne & Shirley or Happy Days.

Blade 10-27-05 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Abbadon74
Actually, does anyone have a list of featured sets? I read Star Trek, but would someone be willing to elaborate on which series?

Thanks in advance,

-B

I think the Star Trek stuff was a mistake. These are specially marked boxed sets (though the packaging has the wrong details).

Full list is in the Costco thread ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....853#ongoingdet ):

$12 instant off when you buy any Paramount TV DVD set below ($25ea) exp. 12/3
As PerryD and Fife and Classic Films and PT1015 mentioned, specially marked Paramount TV sets (item #955416, 955414 $25ea) are getting an instant $12 off at the register. No mention of any limit. Exp. 12/3 (even though the box says while supplies last)
MacGyver s1-3
Brady Bunch s1-3
Laverne & Shirley s1
Happy Days s1
Hogan's Heroes s1,2
Mork & Mindy s1
Cheers s1-6
Fraiser s1-6
Taxi s1-3
Andy Griffith Show s1-3

cornbetts 10-27-05 10:09 AM

If this expires on 12/3, do we think Brady Bunch Season 4 (coming out on Tuesday) will apply? Or is it for select Paramount titles only?

Laser Movies 10-27-05 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by cornbetts
If this expires on 12/3, do we think Brady Bunch Season 4 (coming out on Tuesday) will apply? Or is it for select Paramount titles only?

I was wondering the same thing. You will probably have to wait and see until the release date to find out. However, Costco did include the Twilight Zone Season 4 to their $25 off deal when it was released a few weeks ago. So it looks promising the Brady Bunch and a few other Paramount sets getting released during November will be included in the current sale.

Quake1028 10-27-05 01:50 PM

Wow, I would get all 3 seasons of MacGyver for that price.

johnglad 10-27-05 02:26 PM

I doubt Brady Bunch Season 4 or Andy Griffith Season 4 will be included in these sales. This is on older seasons sets trying to clear inventory. Notice the great deals on lots of tv stuff from lots of different vendors lately? Stuff has to move.
But at $12.99 both Brady Season 4 and Andy Season 4 would be sold at a loss in the store the first week out. I doubt they will do that and I doubt Paramount is doing a give back in that amount of a title being released right now. Just my educated guess.

Manzana 10-28-05 01:25 AM

When I went to my Costco last week, they only had a very limited selection of Paramount TV titles, including only the first 2 seasons of The Brady Bunch, no Laverne & Shirley, no Happy Days, no Mork & Mindy, but a bunch of Cheers, Taxi, and other ones. I got the 2 Brady Bunch seasons, and then I asked if the others would be coming in stock. I was told to call back in a week.

So I called back and when the lady finally looked it up in the computer, she said all of these were showing DELETED in the computer. She then said she'd transfer me to someone to go look for me, and after 5 minutes on hold I gave up. I called another Costco and they told me they hadn't received any of these Paramount sets.

In one of the threads on this subject, a couple people indicated that some or all of these titles disappeared at their Costco. Is this sale only on at certain places? Is there any point in me trying to call Costco again to see if they have any of the sets I want?

Costco asked me how I knew about this $12 off sale and I said it was written on the front of each DVD. What's strange is that people are reporting several seasons getting the same offer that are not on the front of each DVD. Too bad there's no rhyme or reason to figuring out which Costco has what. It's almost as bad as Walmart, except Walmart is much better at answering their phones and is closer. Costco is too far out of the way, so I won't go there unless I know they have what I want (which may be why I only go there once every few months).

Laser Movies 10-28-05 01:48 AM

I wonder if some of the Costcos are pulling the Paramount titles because they discovered a pricing error with the sale? Seems strange some stores suddenly had the Paramount sets disappear. My first impression of the sale was that you had to buy 1 title at regular price to get one at $12 off. I admit I was very surprised when the cash register took $12 off each title on my first visit and purchase a few weeks ago. I thought $12.99 a set was too good to be true. However as of last Sunday the sale was still on at the Costco in my area, and they had every title still available.

Fife 10-28-05 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
So I called back and when the lady finally looked it up in the computer, she said all of these were showing DELETED in the computer. She then said she'd transfer me to someone to go look for me, and after 5 minutes on hold I gave up. I called another Costco and they told me they hadn't received any of these Paramount sets.

I asked a salesperson about the sets, and she told me to go to customer service. I asked about a few of the titles at CS, and was told they were deleted. I told them I saw the sets the day before, so she told me to go see one of the supervisors. He looked at me like I was crazy, walked over to the DVD section, and started searching. Having already done this, I asked him if he knew about the Paramount deal, and which DVDs were included. He says no, and the person who "does the DVD section" was gone for the day. He then says they probably couldn't find it in the computer because it would come to them as "selected Paramount titles," rather than individual titles. Whatever. The whole searching through the DVD section is getting annoying.

Dabaomb 10-28-05 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fife
I asked a salesperson about the sets, and she told me to go to customer service. I asked about a few of the titles at CS, and was told they were deleted. I told them I saw the sets the day before, so she told me to go see one of the supervisors. He looked at me like I was crazy, walked over to the DVD section, and started searching. Having already done this, I asked him if he knew about the Paramount deal, and which DVDs were included. He says no, and the person who "does the DVD section" was gone for the day. He then says they probably couldn't find it in the computer because it would come to them as "selected Paramount titles," rather than individual titles. Whatever. The whole searching through the DVD section is getting annoying.

next time, give him the SKU/Item #s that Blade posts in his threads.

Manzana 10-28-05 10:52 AM

As I recall, the SKUs say something "assortment" which means even if they have stock listed they can't tell from the computer if they have a particular season of a particular show. So then I have to ask them to send someone to search through the DVDs, and most of the time they are too busy to do that (regardless when I call), and even if they did send someone how thoroughly do you think other people look for titles they don't care about? Only if the employee grabs them and takes them to the front desk would I have a chance, and I give it about a 5% chance, but I'll try calling them on the phone 1 more time using the 2 SKU #s. It seems the stores in my area are not getting any new inventory on these and they may have sold out what they had. What's scary is that the stores act like they don't know anything about this sale or when it's supposed to end.

johnglad 10-29-05 09:02 AM

In the realm of a Costco this sale is VERY SMALL. The person answering phones all day at the front can't know about each individual sale. Remember, you are dealing with a WHOLESALE CLUB which has both positives and negatives. You get awesome prices like this $12.99 per set which is a positive. The sets are packed together with one item number for clarity (for them) and an easy sale (meaning lower prices for the consumer). You don't get plastic bags when paying, you pay an annual fee, no trying on clothes, no credit cards, etc. They aren't Walmart for a reason. Thank god.

My point, as you have surmised, is that calling Costco's front desk for info on a specific dvd title isn't going to work, nor should it necessarily. Try calling Sams and see what happens.