DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

A question about GAMESTOP/EBGAMES Trade Ins?

Old 10-24-05, 07:13 PM

A question about GAMESTOP/EBGAMES Trade Ins?

Sorry if this question does not belong in this forum.

I was wondering how much would I get in Gamestop/EBgames trade in for some of my dvds.

Can anyone tell me how much they pay for a dvd?

Thanks in advance.

Gutz
Old 10-24-05, 07:16 PM

...It depends what DVD is it...

For a DVD released over 6 months ago, that doesn't have more than 2 discs, expect $3 at the most.
Old 10-24-05, 07:23 PM

Thanks Yellowjacket621.

I wonder how much would I get for a 2 dvd set.

Any other thoughts or experiences?

Does anybody traded any dvds recently?
Old 10-24-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which set?
Old 10-24-05, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
Which set?
Hannibal, Jason VS Freddy and etc.

Anything from

Arlington Road
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Bone Collector, The
Darkman
Darkman II
Dawn Of The Dead
Die Another Day
Drive Me Crazy
Embrace Of The Vampire (Unrated) $ 10
Final Destination
Freddy Got Fingered
Grudge, The
Hannibal
House By The Cemetary (Lucio Fulci) $ 3 shipped
Jaws
Lilo and Stitch
Lord Of The Rings, The Fellowship Of The Ring
Monster
Predator 2
Ravenous
Rocky IV (OOP) $ 8
Silver Bullet
Spawn 2 (Animation)
Tekken
Three Kings
Underworld
Old 10-24-05, 07:44 PM

just look how much they are charging for it in store
if it's 14.99 in store expect to get 5 or lower

as far as I know though, criterions are disregarded, i.e the rock or armageddon would be the same trade in value for the barebones dvd.

so it works in our advantage too. I think the only one where they discriminate is LoTR EEs.

hope I help

-chile
Old 10-24-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what they do on other stuff, but they only offer $6 TRADE on a Stargate SG-1 set (season 7), so that was enough to tell me that I never want to trade anything in over there.
Old 10-24-05, 07:59 PM

Yes, I've heard that trading box sets is pointless, however, you may get $ 2-4 for a barebones dvd. Never traded there before but I want to go on Thursday/Friday and see how much I would get for the list above.
Old 10-24-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you get their "Gamer" discount card or whatever (I think it's $9.99 a year), you get 10% discounts on all used items, and 10% bonus on anything traded in. You also get a year's subscription to their Game Informer magazine, which sometimes has coupons in it for added incentives.

For example, the month I joined, they had a coupon that would add 40% trade-in credit when you traded in 3 or more titles. That added onto the 10% gave anyone a 50% increase in their trade credit, which was a rather nice deal, I guess, and would probably have made the trade at least worthwhile.
Old 10-24-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath
If you get their "Gamer" discount card or whatever (I think it's $9.99 a year), you get 10% discounts on all used items, and 10% bonus on anything traded in. You also get a year's subscription to their Game Informer magazine, which sometimes has coupons in it for added incentives.

For example, the month I joined, they had a coupon that would add 40% trade-in credit when you traded in 3 or more titles. That added onto the 10% gave anyone a 50% increase in their trade credit, which was a rather nice deal, I guess, and would probably have made the trade at least worthwhile.
it's $14.99 for the membership now.
Old 10-24-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just bought some used movies there that were in the $5 bin for 3 for $10 (Matrix Revolutions, Day of Dead, Saw, Grudge, etc.) They also had recent used Disney 2-Disc like Mulan & Pocohontis for $9.99 which were also Buy 2, get 1 Free. If that is any indication, you won't get much. Probably $3 max.

Last edited by bmello; 10-25-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 09:24 PM

Sometimes they'll run a deal that when you trade 3 dvd's in they give you an extra $10 credit ($3.33 each) It's been a while since I've seen them do that tho
Old 10-24-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've traded some stuff in, and you can get some decent prices, but you can also get horrible prices. If your trying to trade in something thats in the 2 for 10 bin, then you might only get a buck. For example, i traded in a FF Spiderman and they only gave me 86 cents. For that stuff you might have to suck it up and take the $3 min that Blockbuster gives.
Old 10-25-05, 06:30 AM

Gutz, you won't get more than a dollar for each of those. All of those go in the 2-for-$10 bin. Keep them.
Old 10-25-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless they;ve changed recently, you can get the EB EDGE Card for 5 bucks a year. No magazine, but 10% more trade credit [on top of any other deals] and 10% off used stuff [useful when ordering on line, you can stack Edge, Free Shipping, and a 15% off code, or could when I last ordered.]
I would fully expect their default trade prices to be crap. The only way to 'make' any money from them is to take advantage of one of their multi-disk deals [trade 5, get 5 additional per disk, for instance.] Same way for games--last time I traded games, only 3 qualified for the deal, I got 17 bucks after 9$ bonus.
To be fair, this isn't limited to the game resellers--we took some of my boy's clothes in to a child's clothing reseller store; got something like 8 bucks for 6 things. And trading in a car, got 3-4k less than Blue Book. Buy low, sell high. They will keep paying that little as long as people keep taking it.

If the disks/cases are in good condition, I would suggest Half.com. Free listing, 15% commission on your selling price when you sell, and they give you a shipping credit. But it appears the majority of stuff you're trying to sell is somewhat older, 'regular edition', mainstream stuff; for most of them, even on Half.com, I would be satisifed with getting 2-5 bucks each, if that, if they're in excellent condition.
Old 10-25-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone know what is their trade-in policy for DVDs that are 'damaged'?
Old 10-25-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WHen they check dvd's they only visually check them. So if your DVD has a big scratch then they might not take it or charge you a fee for resurfacing.
Old 10-25-05, 01:07 PM

Thanks for all responses. I will check Gamestop today/tomorrow and report "prices" here.
Old 10-25-05, 10:29 PM

Well, it happened I went to Gamestop and brought all dvds mentioned above.

So, the store offered me $ 2.75 per dvd and only a few titles were $ 1.25 and one title is $ 0.85 cents.

I decided not to trade because I can get more on ebay. I could sell dvds in a lot and get at least $ 3.50 per title.

So, yeah folks, they are (gamestop/ebgames) do not pay much for dvds. So, I'd better be off on ebay or elsewhere.

Thanks,

Gutz
Old 10-25-05, 11:16 PM

do they give the same amount of cash as they do store credit?
Old 10-26-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about this site for prices on dvd.
http://www.tradestop.com
Old 10-26-05, 12:18 AM

chileorgullo: Yes, they can give you cash on your hands. if you do a trade in you'll also get 20 % of your total. I mean, for example, you traded 10 dvds for $ 2.75 each. So, the total is $ 27.50 + 20 % = $ 33.00 This applies to games/pre-orders/in store items.

If you want CASH instead of credit, they'll give you like $ 1.50 per dvd. It's a freaking robbery during a daylight.

Still, $ 2.75 is not good enough for me.

Blockbuster gives you $ 3-5. Not bad.
Old 10-26-05, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Match
What about this site for prices on dvd.
http://www.tradestop.com
Will check it out later. Thanks!
Old 10-26-05, 12:57 AM
Banned

Store credit is 20% more than cash. I buy from there alllllll the time, and have the discount card, which cost me $9.99 the other day when I renewed. I've found many a treasure, including about 20 various Criterion priced, all of which were in the 2/$10 bins. Also got "Fletch" for $9, "Transformers S1 Pt. 2" for $27, and tons more.