DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Some Great Deals & Price-Cuts at Wal-mart; Cheap Horror Titles Too For Halloween. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/441272-some-great-deals-price-cuts-wal-mart%3B-cheap-horror-titles-too-halloween.html)

stonecountry 10-12-05 12:34 PM

Some Great Deals & Price-Cuts at Wal-mart; Cheap Horror Titles Too For Halloween.

For all of you guys that don't check every crevice of your local Wal-marts as I do, I'll just update you on a small portion of some of my recent findings based on a few trips to several local Wal-marts in my area. Keep in mind that titles and selections may vary a little bit from store to store, but for the most part they all keep the same stock and deals.

First off, there's a whole bunch of new double feature DVDs for about $7.84, and many have special features. However, since those have been documented in several other threads over the last month or so, I won't get into the details with those.

You might have to look for it, but about half the Wal-marts I've been to lately have a $4.88 DVD display with a bunch of good titles.

Here's just a few examples of what I can remember:

$4.88:

Bride of Chucky (Probably just a Halloween special)
Highwaymen
Mom and Dad Save The World
Willard: New Line Platinum Series (Excellent Deal)
Mists of Avalon (The entire mini-series that was on TNT a few years back)
Man Without A Face (Mel Gibson)
Several Clint Eastwood Collection Titles, including Bronco Billy
......And many more, including a lot of the titles that were on sale the day after Thanksgiving last year.

$5.50: (* = probably only $5.50 thru Halloween)

The Craft: Special Edition
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre III: Leatherface (Was nearly $20 last Halloween)
The Vanishing (1993 remake with Kiefer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges)
Wishmaster/Wishmaster 2: Double Feature (Both WS, with extras!!!)
Naked Gun, Naked Gun 2 1/2, & Naked Gun 33 1/3 (old news but good news)
The Omen II: Special Edition
Stephen King's Pet Sematary
Levity (a surprisingly good drama with Billy Bob Thornton and Kirsten Dunst)
Rambo III: Ultimate Edition (with slipcover)
*Jason X: New Line Platinum Series
*Nightmare On Elm Street 1-7 (Probably on Display near front of store w/ the Texas Chainsaw remake, Leatherface, and Jason X)
Close Your Eyes (2004 critically acclaimed horror film)

I've also seen about 5 or 6 of the 9 movie 3 Disc Sets of Public Domain Horror Titles that usually would go in the $10-$15 range for $5.50. I picked up a couple. You can't beat them for the price even if you get some repeat titles. Some of them are cheesy, but there's also some real gems mixed in with some of them, and they're not all like from the 1930's. There are some titles up into the mid to late 80's now included. Some of the best titles on these sets include Lucio Fulci's House By The Cemetery, Dario Argento's Deep Red: The Hatchet Murders, Night of the Living Dead, Last Man On Earth, Gothic, etc. .....basically the same usual Halloween compilation fare, only these are better than usual sets for cheaper than usual. Also, unlike most similar sets, these sets include a bonus feature on each of the 3 discs included, usually a brief featurette, classic trailers, or some sort of text essays. There's also a Martial Arts and Old War Movies set similar to these Horror sets that can be found from time to time.

$6.44:

Copland (The Recent Director's Cut...Great Deal)
Comic Book: The Movie (2 Disc Set Full of extras, directed by Mark Hamill)
Phantoms
and several other good movies

$7.50:

John Carpenter's Vampires (May only be on sale thru Halloween)
Troll/Troll 2 (Probably just on sale for Halloween)
Terminator 2: Extreme Edition (2 Disc w/ Slip Cover)
From Dusk 'Til Dawn (2 Disc Collector's Edition w/ Full Tilt Boogie Doc.)
First Blood 2: Rambo II: Ultimate Edition (only saw this at one place)
Stargate: Ultimate Edition (pretty sure it's 2 discs, unless it's a re-release)
Chinatown
Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles II
Scream
Scream 2
Don't Say A Word (w/ new slipcover)
Sleepless in Seattle: 10th Anniversary Edition
Field of Dreams: 15th Anniversary Edition (2 Disc, Might find WS, might not)
.....many more...was just a little surprised at some of those being so cheap.

$8.88:

A Tale of Two Sisters: Tartan Extreme (1 Disc release, but still full of extras)

$9.44:

Silverado (Awesome 2 Disc Superbit Gift Set with Book and Playing Cards)
The Fifth Element: Ultimate Edition (2 Disc, Still $20 most everywhere else)
First Blood: Rambo Ultimate Edition (Most Recent release w/ slipcover)
Daredevil: Director's Cut (w/ new slipcover)
......there's really a wealth of titles for this price...it's worth checking out

Also, the title that I thought was very rare and out of print for a long time, SCARLETT (2 Disc Hallmark Mini-series, sequel to Gone With the Wind), has been in stock at every Wal-mart around here consistently for $9.44 ever since this past February. I thought it was a special just for Valentines Day or something, but they keep re-stocking them. I guess Wal-mart Bought up a bunch of them or something cause I've never seen them in any other stores. At First I bought up about 15 of them and sold a bunch of them for like $20-$40 for a few weeks. Then the ebay price depreciated. I haven't checked on them lately on ebay.

$10.xx:

At one place I saw a couple box sets that said something to the effect of "2 great movies for one low price" and contained two individual DVDs packaged together for under $11.

I remember seeing:

Fly Away Home Special Edition/Whale Rider Special Edition
Indian in the Cupboard/Master of Disguise (Dana Carvery)
My Girl/My Girl 2
A couple muppet movies..I think Muppets Take Manhattan & Muppets in Space

$13.72:

Most all the SE's that are $15+ everywhere else (i.e. Predator, Predator 2, Father of the Bride 15th Ann. Ed., Tommy Boy: Holy Schnike Ed., Truman Show SE, Top Gun SE, Sling Blade, etc.)

Alexander: Director's Cut (only saw in Fullscreen, but I didn't really look well)

I Know What You Did Last Summer/I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (Cool New Double Feature Box Set w/ never before released extras, not the old double feature release...Comes in a box with 2 individual slim digi-pack keep cases like the ones in many Season sets like Family Guy and the Karate Kid Trilogy)

Blue Lagoon/Return To Blue Lagoon Double Feature

$14.44:

Mr. Deeds/50 First Dates (Released in a box set with 2 slim digi-pack keep cases...not sure if there's any extras or not though)

Wal-mart has also been releasing a lot of their new release DVDs the week they come out paired with another similar DVD that's usually worth about $10 itself. These packs are alway just under $20, so you practically get the extra disc for free. Be warned though, it is sometimes difficult to find both movies in the pack to be Widescreen since Wal-mart seems to favor Fullscreen. They seem to be ordering more Widescreen releases though in the packs lately.

A few recent examples:

Crash/Drugstore Cowboy Special Edition
Amittyville Horror (2005 remake)/Killer Klowns From Outer Space
...there's plenty of other examples I can't remember, but this seems to be becoming a trend with Wal-mart...thus, you may want to check there first for any new releases to see if they've given it one of these treatments.

ALSO, FOR ALL YOU SLIPCOVER LOVERS, FOX STUDIOS HAS APPARENTLY RE-RELEASED A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEIR HIT MOVIES WITH SOME KIND OF SPECIAL EDITION SLIPCOVERS. THERE'S A FEW MIXED IN SOME OF THE OTHER SECTIONS, BUT EVERYWHERE I'VE BEEN SEEMS TO HAVE A DISPLAY SET UP FOR THE MAJORITY OF THEM.

...Well I hope this helps some of you save a little cash...feel free to post any of your other findings. I know there's another post that lists the recent Texas Chainsaw remake 2 Disc New Line Platinum Series Edition for like $12.84 or something like that.

alfonsosoriano 10-12-05 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info, now I've really got to check out my Walmart. I haven't been there in a long time, so we'll see...

speedy1961 10-12-05 01:48 PM

Great find..... thanks!

Mr. Cinema 10-12-05 01:50 PM

I'll check this weekend. Walmart usually has a nice collection of horror titles for Halloween, including some Anchor Bay ones.

reverie 10-12-05 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by stonecountry
$6.44:
Comic Book: The Movie (2 Disc Set Full of extras, directed by Mark Hamill)

Actually, this is part of the B2G1 free deal at DeepDiscount.. I ordered it as part of mine, so it comes out to $6.00. A few cents... :shrug:

dadaluholla 10-12-05 02:23 PM

Good work!!! Do you take a notebook with you to Wal-mart to take notes on all these prices??? I can barely remember what the price is on something I'm actually buying by the time I get to the register.

Brent L 10-12-05 02:45 PM

$10.xx:

At one place I saw a couple box sets that said something to the effect of "2 great movies for one low price" and contained two individual DVDs packaged together for under $11.

I remember seeing:

Fly Away Home Special Edition/Master of Disguise (Dana Carvery)
Whale Rider Special Edition/(Don't recall what it was paired with...)

Fly Away Home comes with Whale Rider. Indian In The Cupboard is what actually comes with Master of Disguise. They also have a My Girl/My Girl 2 two-pack, as well as two Muppet movies, and a few others.

stonecountry 10-12-05 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Good work!!! Do you take a notebook with you to Wal-mart to take notes on all these prices??? I can barely remember what the price is on something I'm actually buying by the time I get to the register.

I've got a fairly decent memory when it comes to remembering random facts and figures like that. I did get one thing a little mixed up, but Mr. Lumkin corrected me, and I made the appropriate changes.

Brent L 10-12-05 03:30 PM

Yeah, those are the two Muppet movies included.

peterm2 10-12-05 04:26 PM

Any idea if the 3rd Ninja Turtles movies falls into one of those categories?

stonecountry 10-12-05 04:46 PM

I've seen all the Turtles movies for under $10 at Walmart before, but you can also get them online at deepdiscountdvd.com for about $8 each or so.

xfilekr 10-12-05 09:21 PM

Watch out for that I know what you did last summer 2 pack. There are 3 different 'double feature sets' at this point and the new one lists bonus features that are not actually on the disc (according to all the negative reviews over at amazon) that are availble on the 2nd set that was put out

stonecountry 10-12-05 09:43 PM

The I Know What You Did Last Summer Double Feature I Saw was the cooler looking Deluxe Box Set with the 2 little cases in a box. The amazon.com reviews are confusing me a little bit. Can someone definitely confirm whether or not part one in this set has the Special Edition extras that are listed on the box or not?

I'd like to know soon cause I was planning on getting this one simply cause it looks cooler than the other 2 sets, but I don't want bare bones releases. I already had the individual release of the first one before.

Any insight would be appreciated.

conscience 10-12-05 10:13 PM

stonecountry, which Wal-Marts have you checked? Are these near the Greenville area?

Brent L 10-12-05 10:18 PM

I have seen every single item listed in this thread, in every Super WalMart in the upstate SC area that I've been to, including the WalMart on Woodruff Rd. in Greenville. I don't know about the old WalMart stores, but there is only one or two even around here anymore (like in Easley).

kingtopher 10-12-05 11:15 PM

I was hoping that the monster legacy sets would show up with a lower price at Walmart this year, but it doesn't look like thats the case. The Walmart near me does have these in stock now, but they're all ~$20.

conscience 10-12-05 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I have seen every single item listed in this thread, in every Super WalMart in the upstate SC area that I've been to, including the WalMart on Woodruff Rd. in Greenville. I don't know about the old WalMart stores, but there is only one or two even around here anymore (like in Easley).

I frequent the one on White Horse and really have only seen the WB box sets and the 4.88 titles recently. The next nearest one is in Taylors. Will have to search those two out again or go to the Woodruff Road store --- that traffic, though. :eek:

Brent L 10-13-05 12:24 AM

Yeah, Woodruff Rd. can be a living hell.

Firon 10-13-05 07:52 AM

Stargate: Ultimate Edition (pretty sure it's 2 discs, unless it's a re-release)

I picked this up recently at my local WalMart (MN), and it's a single disc.

stonecountry 10-13-05 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Firon
I picked this up recently at my local WalMart (MN), and it's a single disc.

If it's one disc then it's at least probably the Director's Cut. I think it says so on the box and probably has all the other extras of the old 2 disc set. The only reason it was released as 2 discs to begin with was to have both the theatrical cut and director's cut on separate discs.

exharrison 10-13-05 11:47 AM

If it's one disc then it's at least probably the Director's Cut. I think it says so on the box and probably has all the other extras of the old 2 disc set. The only reason it was released as 2 discs to begin with was to have both the theatrical cut and director's cut on separate discs.

A bit OT, but are there that many people seriously interested in having the theatrical in addition to the director's cut?

Mr. Cinema 10-13-05 02:12 PM

The I Know What You Did Last Summer Double Feature I Saw was the cooler looking Deluxe Box Set with the 2 little cases in a box. The amazon.com reviews are confusing me a little bit. Can someone definitely confirm whether or not part one in this set has the Special Edition extras that are listed on the box or not?

I'd like to know soon cause I was planning on getting this one simply cause it looks cooler than the other 2 sets, but I don't want bare bones releases. I already had the individual release of the first one before.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I've only seen the original 2-pack. Is the box art for the 2nd and 3rd releases of this set different?

Brent L 10-13-05 02:18 PM

A correction:

The MyGirl/My Girl 2 pack is not $10.xx, it's $12.xx.

stonecountry 10-13-05 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I've only seen the original 2-pack. Is the box art for the 2nd and 3rd releases of this set different?

Yes, they all vary a bit. Just type in "I Know What You Did Last Summer" in the search box at dvdaficionado.com, and you can see them all at once. I suppose you could probably do it at amazon.com and some other places, but with dvdaficionado, you can see them all in a row and then go to amazon thru the link to the right.

bmello 10-13-05 04:17 PM

Thanks OP. I hate the whole WalMart experience but sucked it up to pick up a few titles. I also saw Jason X for $5.50 and a ton of other $9.44 titles. Too many to mention.