DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Select A&E Titles 50% off at DDD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/440768-select-e-titles-50%25-off-ddd.html)

creekdipper 10-08-05 05:49 AM

Select A&E Titles 50% off at DDD

{Apologies if this has been posted already} Received email from DDD advertising six pages of A&E titles at 50% off. Some great deals and some only lukewarm. For instance, they have HOMICIDE Seasons 1-5 (four box sets) for 124.99...just over $31 for each box. If I hadn't already bought them for $50+ each, would be all over that deal. This is one of tv's all-time best series...great rewatchability factor...and the first five seasons are the best. Some other recommendations are DANGER UXB...one of our favorite Masterpiece Theater series. Each episode is a nailbiter as an English bomb squad tries to defuse unexploded bombs (UXB) during the London air raids. Since it's a miniseries, you never know who's going to survive and who's going to get it next. Also highest recommendations to RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY...one of the most entertaining series ever aired (all 3 sets available) . Could watch these over & over...and the sale price beats the 20% sale price by a country mile. They also have the Emma Peel AVENGERS set, COMPLETE MONTY PYTHON, NEW AVENGERS, HORNBLOWER, and many, many more. Unless these sets experience a price drop, I expect these prices are better than they will be during the next 20% off sale.

courteous 10-08-05 06:41 AM

No Links for You!

Good post. Maybe.

marty888 10-08-05 08:20 AM

Several great titles there, great prices. DDD strikes again!

calhoun07 10-08-05 12:40 PM

What is their normal discount on those items? I know traditionally, DDDVD has always charged the lowest prices for A&E sets, so I was wondering just how significant these savings are over their normal asking prices (not over their listed SRP).

Spez 10-08-05 01:20 PM

I think I might pick up the complete Monty Python collection. It's $99.98 and that's not a bad price for it.

MovieExchange 10-08-05 02:01 PM

If anyone is looking to get the complete run of Homicide: Life on the Street, it looks like buying the 1-5 bundle and then 6 & 7 separately is cheaper than the 1-7 bundle.

Homicide seasons 1-7: $288.71

$124.98 Homicide 1-5 bundle
$ 49.98 Homicide season 6
$ 49.98 Homicide season 7
--------
$224.94, a savings of $63.77

peterm2 10-08-05 02:17 PM

I don't know how the rest of the prices compare to the 20% off sale, but I'd written down the Jeeves & Wooster series price and with the 20% off, it would be $2 less than the 50% off price it is now.

barbybrant 10-08-05 03:45 PM

I'd made note of the price for EDWARD & MRS SIMPSON last month.

It WAS 29.97.
It's NOW 24.98.
If I wait for the 20% off sale and the price doesn't go up, it'll be 23.98 then.

creekdipper 10-08-05 04:57 PM

Thanks for those who have clarified pricing...wasn't trying to mislead anyone into thinking that all of these prices will beat the 20% off sale. Guess you have to compare on a case-by-case basis. I still plan to order a few sets (Rumpole Set 3, for instance) because these prices should at worst be comparable to the 20% off prices. Seems like I remember paying around $42 for Rumpole set 1 (it's $35 now) but could be wrong. If you don't want to wait until next month for the potential sale, you probably won't go wrong with these prices...but patience might save a few dollars, too. Oh, well...hope somebody gets something out of this deal.

John Sinnott 10-08-05 06:26 PM

There are some good deals here....maybe not better than the 20% off sale, but still worth checking out. I bought the Quatermass set for $19.17 during the last 20% off sale, not much less than the $19.98 they are asking now.

peterm2 10-08-05 08:16 PM

I've already sprung for a few sets - it's nice to have them now, and for a couple dollars on a $40-$60 set I'd rather be sure of getting them while they're in stock.

Trevor 10-09-05 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
is this show worth a blind buy?

Yes!!!!

I wish I had waited and had this price on seasons 1-5. I bought them as they came out for close to full price and it was worth it.

calhoun07 10-09-05 01:36 AM

The 100.00 for Monty Python is a great deal. I bought that from buy.com for that price when it first came out, and (not that I shopped for it regularly after I owned it, but I checked now and then) never saw a website coming close to that price for it.

MovieExchange 10-09-05 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
is this show worth a blind buy?

It depends. Do you like shows where no one gets along and everyone is an asshole? If so, Homicide is the show for you.

Dabaomb 10-09-05 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The 100.00 for Monty Python is a great deal. I bought that from buy.com for that price when it first came out, and (not that I shopped for it regularly after I owned it, but I checked now and then) never saw a website coming close to that price for it.

A & E store had it for about $89 a few months back. I also think that Costco had it for about $99 within the past year.

minifigg 10-09-05 01:48 PM

What about the Red Sox World Series Box set for $64.98?
Good deal or wait for the 20% off sale?
This would be an Xmas present, so I am in no rush.
Also, since this sale lasts thru 10/21, anyone else think the famous October 20% off sale begins on 10/22?
;)

peterm2 10-09-05 02:30 PM

I'm thinking of going for the complete Mr. Bean for $24.98 shipped. I've held back so far, but I'm weakening....

MovieExchange 10-09-05 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by minifigg
Also, since this sale lasts thru 10/21, anyone else think the famous October 20% off sale begins on 10/22?
;)

It's not an October sale, it's a November sale. At least that's what it was last year - Sunday, November 14.

Kocheese99 10-09-05 03:08 PM

the boston red sox set at the 20% would be maybe $3 cheaper than what it is now. So if $3 is worth the wait then go ahead.

calhoun07 10-09-05 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
A & E store had it for about $89 a few months back. I also think that Costco had it for about $99 within the past year.

Was there a price drop on it recently? It's been a few years since I picked up mine, but most stores were selling it around 200.00 then, with most discounting to 150.00.

Trevor 10-09-05 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Was there a price drop on it recently? It's been a few years since I picked up mine, but most stores were selling it around 200.00 then, with most discounting to 150.00.

I think the MSRP has always been $199, but I've seen it at on sale at $99 or less several times over the years.

minifigg 10-09-05 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
the boston red sox set at the 20% would be maybe $3 cheaper than what it is now. So if $3 is worth the wait then go ahead.

Awesome.
Thanks.
:D
mini

bboisvert 10-10-05 08:44 AM

Thanks for the heads-up... no Space:1999 or The Prisoner, though? :hscratch:

creekdipper 10-14-05 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It depends. Do you like shows where no one gets along and everyone is an asshole? If so, Homicide is the show for you.

And if you don't like realistic dramas in which the coworkers occasionally bicker and pick at each other, you can always stick with the Brady Bunch box sets. (Personally, I know quite a few people who found most of the characters both admirable and likeable...guess that makes all of us assholes).

P.S. You also won't like the current shows House, Monk, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Battlestar Galactica, CSI, ER, Arrested Development, Nip/Tuck, The Shield, Over There, Boston Legal, Veronica Mars, etc....i.e., any show depicting conflict between characters (also known as any show with quality writing).