DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Free Episode 1 of "ROME" at Best Buy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/439778-free-episode-1-rome-best-buy.html)

bhauge 09-29-05 10:59 AM

Free Episode 1 of "ROME" at Best Buy

Our local Best Buy had a separate display of HBO titles and included in the display was a stack of Episode 1 of "ROME". It is supposed to be free with the purchase on an HBO title, but I like most of these freebies, it rings up as $0.01 at the register. Unfortunately, it comes in a cardboard sleeve, so it's not a good deal for us "case collectors" :)

Here's what's on it:

o Episode 1 of ROME
o ROME Trailer
o Behind the Scenes of ROME, featuring interviews with the cast and crew

Peep 09-29-05 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bhauge
Unfortunately, it comes in a cardboard sleeve, so it's not a good deal for us "case collectors"

Also, unfortunately, the entire episode has the HBO logo very lightly superimposed across the entire screen!!

Quatermass 09-29-05 12:11 PM

Does it have the nudity and sex scenes intact?

Eric D. 09-29-05 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Also, unfortunately, the entire episode has the HBO logo very lightly superimposed across the entire screen!!

I know! That pissed me off so much that I just turned it off. So I have no idea if the show is good or not. Poor move on HBO imho.

critterdvd 09-29-05 02:20 PM

It's Free! What are you expecting? For a penny it was a nice introduction to the series, despite the fact I probably won't watch any more of the episodes

Yakuza Bengoshi 09-29-05 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I know! That pissed me off so much that I just turned it off. So I have no idea if the show is good or not. Poor move on HBO imho.

Same here.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
It's Free! What are you expecting? For a penny it was a nice introduction to the series, despite the fact I probably won't watch any more of the episodes

That's like saying that cookie samples from Mrs. Fields would be okay even if they were made with rotten eggs because the samples are free. If HBO, or Mrs. Fields, wants to entice consumers to buy their products, it doesn't help to provide rotten samples.

Alan Smithee 09-29-05 03:02 PM

Damn- picked this up a couple days ago but haven't watched it yet. I'm probably the biggest logo-hater around, I don't even watch TV anymore because of it and I don't buy DVDs from Passport or Something Weird because they 'bug' some of their stuff.

I walked out of the store with it and it actually has an alarm tag in it, though looking all through the sleeve I could not tell where it is. I played dumb and just said "isn't this free?" to the guy at the door, he was cool and let me have it.

Eric D. 09-29-05 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd

-rolleyes- Free my ass. When I picked it up you had to buy an HBO set in order to get it. I was expecting it to be a quality screener just like all the others I have received. Something that actually makes you want to watch the show. A fine example is the screener disc that came w/ the Family Guy movie at Circuit City. That's what I was expecting!

Jah-Wren Ryel 09-29-05 08:02 PM

I say those that paid a penny for it, return it because of the logo.
The picture is obviously defective.

xage 09-29-05 08:14 PM

See, your whining is not beause of the HBO logo

You end up being beaten by others here who got it for a penny/or for free

-rolleyes- Free my ass. When I picked it up you had to buy an HBO set in order to get it. I was expecting it to be a quality screener just like all the others I have received. Something that actually makes you want to watch the show. A fine example is the screener disc that came w/ the Family Guy movie at Circuit City. That's what I was expecting!

Before posting your sentiments be consistent and not a sore loser of a penny/free product (I got it too for free!)

John Sinnott 09-29-05 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by xage

Come again? Your quote shows that he said he was pissed off because of the logo. Then he said he was pissed because he bought an HBO DVD too, and was disappointed that there was a logo on it. He was being very consistent.

Eric D. 09-29-05 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by xage

You end up being beaten by others here who got it for a penny/or for free

Before posting your sentiments be consistent and not a sore loser of a penny/free product (I got it too for free!)

Whining? You know what, you obviously didn't read my post correctly. I could CARE LESS if others got it for free and I didn't. All I'm saying is that the Rome disc is crap (in MY opinion), because of the logo throughout the entire episode. Too ME, this was dissapointing, especially since I decided to splurge on a boxset that day in order to get the disc. If you can deal with the logo, awesome! But please leave the childish name calling behind. It really speaks to your character. I have a right to be disappointed, and if you don't like reading my post...too bad! In the real world when you are trying to get people to buy, (or in this case watch) something, you tend to want to produce a quality product. HBO did not do this. And others on here seem to feel the same way.

It's called opinons. Get used to them.

And thanks videophile for getting my back on this. -smile- I appreciate it!

Cameron 09-29-05 11:48 PM

got this a few weeks back...still have not seen it.

Dmacsg1 09-30-05 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Does it have the nudity and sex scenes intact?

YES!! It does. I ignored the superimposed HBO logo in the background. It was hard at first but by the end of the episode I didn't even notice the logo!!

Looking forward to watching some more of this show whenever the full season comes out on dvd!

Peep 09-30-05 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacsg1
YES!! It does. I ignored the superimposed HBO logo in the background. It was hard at first but by the end of the episode I didn't even notice the logo!!

Really? I didn't notice for about 10 minutes, but once I did, I couldn't ignore it!

xage 09-30-05 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
Come again? Your quote shows that he said he was pissed off because of the logo. Then he said he was pissed because he bought an HBO DVD too, and was disappointed that there was a logo on it. He was being very consistent.

Disappointment came as he expressed it at his first post.

Whining came, despite he made his point (from his 1st post), and here he is shouting out that it isn’t free on his end. Tough luck? He didn’t get it without purchasing an HBO DVD.

I have a right to be disappointed

:rolleyes: Free my ass

Who said you dont have rights? you even went to extent freeing your .. :rolleyes: