Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Highlander Season Box Sets - $39.99 no tax/shipping

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-21-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a call yesterday from a guy who said Highlander Season Box Sets on sale for $39.99. The guy said they will pay for shipping and tax and 5% of the proceeds go to "Louisiana" (I'm guessing Katrina victims).

I'm too broke right now to say yes, but it is a great deal. I asked if I could call back and they said sure - 1 800 959-2481 (Highlander Store) was the number given.
Old 09-21-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
1 800 959-2481
Thats the number for the legendary heroes store.
http://www.legendaryheroes.com/c.309...ighlander.html
Looks to be the same pricing on their site. The immortal collection is still cheaper if you need all of them at $230. 6 seasons x 39.99=240. Plus you get the box and the best of set.

Last edited by exharrison; 09-21-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't there some sort of major difference between the legendary heroes version and the retail ones? A lack of extras or something like that?
Old 09-21-05, 01:54 PM
Tay

39.99 seems like an excellent deal. I can't get free shipping to work though. Does anyone know if these sets are supposed to ever drop in price, or am I safe with the 40.00 price?
Old 09-21-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tay
39.99 seems like an excellent deal. I can't get free shipping to work though. Does anyone know if these sets are supposed to ever drop in price, or am I safe with the 40.00 price?
I'd call in, as I think the no tax/shipping is a special deal.
Old 09-21-05, 04:41 PM

I do remember the season sets being different, as the website had all seasons available pretty close to from the beginning. Here's a bit about season 1:

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/highla...ne/10670/1369/
Old 09-21-05, 04:43 PM

This review contends that the differences were consistent across all seasons:

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/highla...ix/15606/2687/

You can take a look at the review for each season here, where they mention the differences:
http://www.dvdtown.com/search/index....ery=highlander

The Limited Edition sets are the website's versions, the normal sets are Anchor Bay's. It looks like every version has some differences, but for s4, for example, the discs are apparently identical, just the case is different.

Last edited by spyd3rgt; 09-21-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spyd3rgt
This review contends that the differences were consistent across all seasons:

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/highla...ix/15606/2687/

You can take a look at the review for each season here, where they mention the differences:
http://www.dvdtown.com/search/index....ery=highlander

The Limited Edition sets are the website's versions, the normal sets are Anchor Bay's. It looks like every version has some differences, but for s4, for example, the discs are apparently identical, just the case is different.
Also Season 3 and 5:

"For Season 5, the Limited Edition and the commercial release are identical (save for the lack of the Anchor Bay logo on the Limited Edition’s slipcase cover). "

"For Season 3, the Limited Edition and the commercial release are identical (save for the lack of the Anchor Bay logo on the Limited Edition’s slipcase cover)."

Last edited by CheapBastid; 09-21-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 07:16 PM

Also Season 3 and 5:

"For Season 5, the Limited Edition and the commercial release are identical (save for the lack of the Anchor Bay logo on the Limited Edition’s slipcase cover). "
But in the Season 5 Anchor Bay review, it says: The Anchor Bay edition of Season 5 is better than the Highlander Official Website Limited Edition because it has an additional disc of extras.

Plus the Legendary Heroes site lists season 5 Limited Edition as a 9 disc set, while the review above claims the Limited Edition is an 8 disc set.

So which do we believe? So confused... I want these for a good price, but I want the best sets available. I was all ready to shell out for that mega set til I read these reviews. Can anyone who bought the big box set comment on anything definitively missing?
Old 09-21-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It looks like for Season One the difference is only packaging/inserts:
"Those of you debating whether to get the Limited Edition or the Anchor Bay release will want to read this paragraph carefully. The Anchor Bay box set includes a glossy booklet that provides an essay about the show, but the Limited Edition box set has no inserts or booklets whatsoever. The rather complicated Digipak-style packaging of the Anchor Bay box (3 sets of folding Digipaks held together by a semi-slipcase) provides information such as chapter listings all over the cardboard artwork. The Limited Edition box set uses 7 single keepcases and 1 slim double keepcase (for Disc 8 and the CD-ROM). The Anchor Bay box has a list price that is $10 less than the Limited Edition box (which was originally priced at $129.95). All in all, the extra booklet and the lower retail price makes the Anchor Bay release a better buy than the Limited Edition set, but I prefer the packaging of the Limited Edition."

Season 2 seems like it's the only one that is really different:

"Anchor Bay’s commercial release of “Highlander”--Season 2 offers disc-based extras that weren’t included in the Limited Edition box set. On Disc 3, you’ll find that Adrian Paul contributed two audio commentaries. Paul recorded commentaries for “The Return of Amanda” and “Revenge of the Sword”. You can also experience the commentaries as partial video commentaries (about twenty minutes of footage of Paul in a recording studio mixed with footage from the relevant episode). On Disc 4, there’s a featurette that runs for a little more than half an hour that has snippets of interviews with Adrian Paul, Stan Kirsch, and Alexandra Vandernoot."
Old 09-21-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CloudVader
But in the Season 5 Anchor Bay review, it says: The Anchor Bay edition of Season 5 is better than the Highlander Official Website Limited Edition because it has an additional disc of extras.

Plus the Legendary Heroes site lists season 5 Limited Edition as a 9 disc set, while the review above claims the Limited Edition is an 8 disc set.

So which do we believe? So confused... I want these for a good price, but I want the best sets available. I was all ready to shell out for that mega set til I read these reviews. Can anyone who bought the big box set comment on anything definitively missing?
I'd think that the LH site reference and picture of the 9 disk set should be enough, but you also get the indication it is a 9 disk set in the review of the 'Limited' set.

I wonder if there was an actual Limited run of the Limited sets and now they're selling the Anchor Bay versions. The picture of Season One on the LH site seems to show the 3 Digipac format instead of the 7 keepcases.
Old 09-21-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd call in, as I think the no tax/shipping is a special deal.

The $39.99 price is online. In fact, they've had this price online for sometime, at least 6 months (I made an order there a while back). However, there currently may be a shipping charge via online order. When I ordered before there was no shipping or tax, but I can't remember if that's always true or not (or maybe you need a coupon code)
Old 09-22-05, 08:59 AM

I actually got all of the Highlander sets at Best Buy, as they came out, and the Best Buy versions come with some sort of exclusive extras. I've never looked into what, exactly, is extra, but the Best Buy sets have a band on the top of the slipcase mentioning exclusive content, and I've seen it mentioned that the actual extras are on the last DVD. Though most of the sets came with an extra disc in a cardboard case, so I always assumed that was the extra.