DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Bargains on DVD storage racks/furniture?

Old 09-11-05, 02:23 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 1,071
Bargains on DVD storage racks/furniture?

I'm looking for some cheap, easy DVD storage for a basement home theater that doubles as a family room. It needs to be reasonably affordable, and be attractive enough to not score too low on the all-important WAF (wife acceptance factor) .

In addition, it should ideally keep toddlers from being able to easily pull the DVDs out and throw them around (something my bookcases don't do, alas.)

I realize these are very subjective criteria, but I thought some of you here might have good ideas. I searced for "racks" and "storage" and didn't hit anything...

DDD has some decent options, including these , but I'm guessing one's paying as much for shipping as for the units themselves... the best bargins might be had at the likes of a target or Wal-Mart closeout, I'm thinking...


Any suggestions most appreciated!

Last edited by drh4; 09-11-05 at 05:27 PM.
drh4 is offline  
Old 09-11-05, 05:22 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,008
Have you tried racksandstands.com ?



Stew

Last edited by spartanstew; 09-11-05 at 11:24 PM.
spartanstew is offline  
Old 09-11-05, 05:38 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 1,071
Thanks for the link correction and the suggestion, Stew.

The unit at

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...M/0PAR1051.htm

looked interesting...I wish it wasn't 10" deep though...
drh4 is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 06:38 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,116
This one - http://store.yahoo.com/longislandmed...anvidstor.html - keeps my son away from my DVDs. Very happy with it and although the depth of it is rather large compared to the other one it still takes up less total area space.

Hmm....looks like it went up a little in price. I got it for (shipping and everything) about $175. Still, hell of a deal since no other store has it for under $250 and some sites state that the MSRP is close to $400.

Last edited by sotra; 09-12-05 at 06:45 AM.
sotra is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 05:07 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 1,071
Thanks for the link sotra, interesting site...

Looks like you got a great deal, that cabinet is $75 more now. And at 16" deep (2 layers of DVDs when closed, I gather?), it's much deeper than we want. Very much appreciate your giving your 2c tho!
drh4 is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 05:22 PM
  #6  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 15
Absolutely the best cd/dvd storage site out there. Many options and relatively easy on the eyes and wallet.
http://www.storeyourmedia.com/
slapstick is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 06:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by drh4
Thanks for the link correction and the suggestion, Stew.

The unit at

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...M/0PAR1051.htm

looked interesting...I wish it wasn't 10" deep though...
This looks like one I bought. The shelves are actually 5 1/4" deep, just deep enough for a DVD to sit on. It's the base that is 10" wide for added stability.
bdhart is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 07:10 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Posts: 247
I use the elf multimedia racks you can stack them three high for a total 360 DVD storage. Found www.monstronix.com had the best price with shipping but, when buy.com has free shipping deals they have the best price.

Tracer is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 07:25 PM
  #9  
JGwinn1048
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I built a few shelves myself by just picking up stuff from Home Depot. In conjunction with those, I also bought three of these racks via Best Buy -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826148242
 
Old 09-12-05, 08:12 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 401
I use the Billy bookcase from IKEA, they hold about 510 DVDs and also come in either white, oak or black. If you goto their website, just do a search for bookcases. If you have one near you, check the prices in the store, the web price is different for some reason. I believe I bought two additional shelves, total cost was like 100 dollars.

Check out this thread for some other ideas. There are a few members that also use the shelf I'm talking about.
kansai999 is offline  
Old 09-12-05, 08:58 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 862
Has anyone tried these Leslie Dame Enterprises' units:

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...2/0PLE1000.htm
cine is offline  
Old 09-17-05, 06:58 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 1,071
Thanks for all the helpful follow-ups! I think I'll be ordering some of Tracer's elf racks next time buy.com has free shipping.
drh4 is offline  
Old 09-18-05, 12:46 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 1,397
nothing beats can-am drawers

Last edited by ScottyWH; 09-18-05 at 01:00 AM.
ScottyWH is offline  
Old 09-18-05, 11:42 AM
  #14  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,701
Originally Posted by Tracer
I use the elf multimedia racks you can stack them three high for a total 360 DVD storage. Found www.monstronix.com had the best price with shipping but, when buy.com has free shipping deals they have the best price.

love the elf's as well, got two.
got this one at BB marked down from $90 to $42. it was such a steal and perfect for what i wanted.
Atlantic Elf 464
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 12:31 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 1,071
well, the mini-elf racks weren't included in buy.com's first free shipping coupon in months... Makes me pessimistic that we'll see a good deal on them from there anytime soon...

If anyone sees another good source, please post! TIA
drh4 is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 12:45 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 227
Check office supply stores like Office Max or Office Depot. If there are some near you, they probably put sunday flyers in the newspaper. I picked up some really nice DVD racks on sale for $25 (usually $50) at Office Max a few months ago.
Christi P is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 01:35 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 488
Originally Posted by cine
Has anyone tried these Leslie Dame Enterprises' units:

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...2/0PLE1000.htm
I have it in the OAK and bought it from racksandstands. It's a great SOLID OAK cabinet. It comes in one box and is already assembled,. You just have to put in the shelves. If you're only using them for DVDs, you'll have extra shelves (I use one as a stand for my Sub).





nothing beats can-am drawers
I always like going to that web site, at least until I look at the prices and shipping. Would be great if you lived in Canada or on the border and could pick up in person, I suppose.

Last edited by John*D; 11-08-05 at 01:39 AM.
John*D is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 03:03 AM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by drh4
Thanks for the link correction and the suggestion, Stew.

The unit at

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...M/0PAR1051.htm

looked interesting...I wish it wasn't 10" deep though...


http://www.spinkeeper.com/spinkeeper/muflrainblfi.html

Same thing, $30 cheaper. Not sure about shipping though. I'm looking at getting one of the 612 DVD cases from http://www.spinkeeper.com/spinkeeper/larwalracdes.html

Anyone have thoughts about those?

Or ones from here:

http://www.storeyourmedia.com/catego...ategoryID=3181
xNightfallx is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 11:06 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,234
Originally Posted by drh4
DDD has some decent options, including these , but I'm guessing one's paying as much for shipping as for the units themselves
Shipping's still free at DDD, even on furniture. A few people got the 1080 sized one during the last 20% off sale, I'm curious what they thought of it.
Ginwen is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 11:12 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,285
You can occasionally find the Sauder shelves pretty cheap at Big Lots.
EDIT: They are normally only for <300 dvds though.

Last edited by exharrison; 11-08-05 at 11:20 AM.
exharrison is online now  
Old 11-08-05, 11:18 AM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Originally Posted by Ginwen
Shipping's still free at DDD, even on furniture. A few people got the 1080 sized one during the last 20% off sale, I'm curious what they thought of it.
I don't see any big shelves there for DVD's. Am I looking at the wrong place?
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 11:35 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,234
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I don't see any big shelves there for DVD's. Am I looking at the wrong place?
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ATA435182

It's on page 7 of the other link if mine doesn't work.
Ginwen is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 12:02 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
Originally Posted by exharrison
You can occasionally find the Sauder shelves pretty cheap at Big Lots.
EDIT: They are normally only for <300 dvds though.
These are what I use, and have been pleased with them. I currently have 7 of them, and customized some of them by not putting on the base, and bolting them together and then to the wall so that they go almost to the ceiling. I was running out of horizontal space and had to start going vertical.
Shagrath is offline  
Old 11-08-05, 12:12 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by Shagrath
These are what I use, and have been pleased with them. I currently have 7 of them, and customized some of them by not putting on the base, and bolting them together and then to the wall so that they go almost to the ceiling. I was running out of horizontal space and had to start going vertical.
I was thinking about that the other day as I noticed they were a little shorter than half the wall and I need more space about now.
exharrison is online now  
Old 11-08-05, 01:14 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Seattle
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by kansai999
I use the Billy bookcase from IKEA, they hold about 510 DVDs and also come in either white, oak or black. If you goto their website, just do a search for bookcases. If you have one near you, check the prices in the store, the web price is different for some reason. I believe I bought two additional shelves, total cost was like 100 dollars.

Check out this thread for some other ideas. There are a few members that also use the shelf I'm talking about.
I've seen quite a few Billy shelves on Craigslist.
jimbeam is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.