Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ridiculously Cheap DVD sets @ Target YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
Target does clearance sales like this comletely based off of each store's individual inventory. For instance the Target near where I work has Prince of Persia for the Xbox on clearance for $9.98 because they still have 30 some copies in stock. The Target near my house has less than 10 in stock and is still charging $19.99. I spoke to a friend who works at one of them and these clearances are done on a store to store basis so just because it is that cheap at one store does not mean any other Target will have it at that price

This doesn't seem like a clearance that they meant to do. And why would a bunch of people be getting the same sets for the same price at various Targets in the country?
Old 08-09-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just went to 3 Targets here in Orlando. Only one of them had these prices though. It's the one on Colonial across from Fashion Square Mall. I picked up:

All 8 seasons of Little House on the Praire
All seasons of Friends, except for S7 (sold out)
Batman: TAS V. 3
Jaws: 30th Anniversary
Pretender: Season One

They were out of The O.C. and Band of Brothers, but there's still some others left there, tons of Gilmore Girls, and a couple Looney Tunes. Also various sets of Friends and Little House are left too.

EDIT: If you do the $50 rebate on WB Sets, this makes Friends practically free. Deal of the year!

Last edited by Shagrath; 08-09-05 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-09-05, 10:06 AM

Target does clearance sales like this comletely based off of each store's individual inventory. For instance the Target near where I work has Prince of Persia for the Xbox on clearance for $9.98 because they still have 30 some copies in stock. The Target near my house has less than 10 in stock and is still charging $19.99. I spoke to a friend who works at one of them and these clearances are done on a store to store basis so just because it is that cheap at one store does not mean any other Target will have it at that price
This isnt very logical. If its just one store's decision, then why are there so many stores that have this many of the exact same sets on sale for the same price?

Besides, the Target here in Gainesville Fl had a TON of Friends and Sex and the City sets on display, but none were on sale.
Old 08-09-05, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69
isnt there some law that they have to sell it to you for what it scans.
The law is that they have to sell it to you for the price as marked or advertised, not necessarily what it rings up.

At least that is what i was told when i was working at CompUSA 8 years ago.
Old 08-09-05, 10:08 AM

so i went back this morning and they were all gone. they were being kept in the back and arent allowed to be sold. they wouldnt give me a raincheck either. i did get jaws and mary poppins though. i guess they thought the error was only on season sets. i went over to sugarland and the same thing. the only thing not put away was batman vol 3 which i picked up. then went over to another on highway 6. regular prices there. if anyones gone to the one in memorial mall, meyerland plaza, or westheimer let me know whats the deal before i head over there later.
Old 08-09-05, 10:20 AM

Went to South Portland, Maine's Target this morning and all the boxed sets were still out and all of them rang up full price, so apparently this store wasn't affected.
Old 08-09-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Target does clearance sales like this comletely based off of each store's individual inventory.

If that is the case,i have to wonder why so many stores are pulling them and stopping people from buying the stuff for the cheap prices.
Old 08-09-05, 10:42 AM
Cool New Member

No luck with the target in Melbourne, FL on 192.
Old 08-09-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went back this morning and there was a ton of sets missing completely, gilmore girls, friends, newly weds, etc. It looks like they shelved them until they can get the prices changed back.
Old 08-09-05, 11:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Tried a few at my local Target, all scanned at normal prices.
Old 08-09-05, 11:26 AM

I checked my local Target (in Hermitage, TN), but to no avail. I checked the prices for Looney Tunes (seasons 1 & 2), MacGyver (season 2), Friends (seasons 1 & 2), and the Jaws 30th Anniversary set. All prices came up as marked.
Old 08-09-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a guess perhaps why this works at some stores and not at others:

I checked out 4 different targets. 3 of them had all normal prices while the one had the discounted $5.99 prices. The 3 had the high tech price checker scanners which even stated if there was more of that particular merchandise in the back. It has very illuminated and very easy to see. The other target where I cleaned house (again once today, 16 sets) has very old LED displays that just say the price, name and upc number. Does that seem to coincide with other people's successes? I'm guessing, because I am utterly dumbfounded why this phenomena works, that the older price scanners have a glitch in them or something which throws off the main registers. Again, I do not understand how this could work.

Last edited by paulringodaman; 08-09-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-09-05, 11:35 AM

San Jose and surrounding area Target update:

Camden in San Jose, Sunnyvale, and Oakridge Targets normal prices.

Targets in Westgate Mall and in Cupertino, $5.99

Picked up a lot of stuff at the Westgate one this morning, still left as of 9:00 a.m. : Sex, Friends, Little House, Fantastic, Gilmore, Batman, Northern, McGyver, Buffy, L word, Hogans, Moonlighting, Pretender, Dawsons, Murder. A LOT OF STUFF!! GO AND GET IT!!

At The Cupertino one, last night I picked up about 5 to 6 things, I am not sure what is left there.
Old 08-09-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A lot of people have shown interest for my Band of Brother sets. (As of now, I think I only have one to spare). To help all you guys out tell me if this logical-

The target with the 5.99 is sold out of them (I wonder why....?) and I was told they will not get them until Sat. By then the glitch will HAVE to be fixed. If I buy a couple of BoB at full price at another store and return them later that day at the store with $5.99, will they put it back out on the lot or ship it back to its original store. I'm just trying to help fellow DVDTalkers.
Old 08-09-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Here is a guess perhaps why this works at some stores and not at others:

I checked out 4 different targets. 3 of them had all normal prices while the one had the discounted $5.99 prices. The 3 had the high tech price checker scanners which even stated if there was more of that particular merchandise in the back. It has very illuminated and very easy to see. The other target where I cleaned house (again once today, 16 sets) has very old LED displays that just say the price, name and upc number. Does that seem to coincide with other people's successes? I'm guessing, because I am utterly dumbfounded why this phenomena works, that the older price scanners have a glitch in them or something which throws off the main registers. Again, I do not understand how this could work.
All the stores I went to had the new price scanner stations that said whether or not there were more in stock. Only one of them had the $5.99 prices though. Good guess, but it doesn't look like it's the reason why the prices are differing from store to store.
Old 08-09-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
nothing at my local Target, everything was scanning at normal prices. Thanks to the OP for the heads up.
Old 08-09-05, 11:56 AM

...!

Man, what you miss in one day.

Gonna try my local Targets at lunch (Fullerton, La Habra).
Old 08-09-05, 12:01 PM

Thank you

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
No dice at the puyallup/lakewood targets.

I think the national system got wind of this and put a squash on it.
I just took the time to sign up and say thank you since you saved me the time of driving to those stores.
Old 08-09-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No dice at the Reston, VA Target
and the one in Sterling, VA was cleared out.
Old 08-09-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Regular prices at Woodinville, WA store. Will try Lynnwood later, it's an old-school one...but a worthless selection, I doubt they'll even have what I want in stock.
Old 08-09-05, 12:08 PM

You have no idea how jealous i am of the people getting these deals.

Although, as my wife reminded me as i checked the prices on every Friends and Sex in the City set last night, I have no room to put these sets, so i guess its ok that i didnt get the good prices.
Old 08-09-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just went on my lunch break to 2 Target's in Nassau County (Long Island). No such luck in Levittown or Hicksville (Broadway Mall).

Maybe I'll try Westbury later, but it's not looking good.
Old 08-09-05, 12:21 PM

well, just got back from all over the city (houston). the only stores with the glitch are the sharpstown and the sugarland stores. at both stores everythings either sold out or been put into the back room. i managed to get jaws and mary poppins at sharpstown and a couple batman vol 3s at sugarland. not really what i wanted (the oc, gilmore girls, looney tunes, band of bros.) but i guess its ok. im still kicking myself for not hiding a couple sets because im absolutely sure i wouldve been able to buy them today. at both stores i checked out with foreign ladies which probably wouldnt have asked questions.
Old 08-09-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if it's not over now, it soon will be.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/506192/
Old 08-09-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Kjelstad
I just took the time to sign up and say thank you since you saved me the time of driving to those stores.
You know it is a great deal when the lurkers register.

FWIW, the St. Matthews Store in Louisville, KY is a no go. I'm going to check one more on my way home from work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.