Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ridiculously Cheap DVD sets @ Target YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 06:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got Jaws for $5.99 yesterday. I rang up $15.99 but the price tag on the shelf says $5.99, so they gave it to me for that price.
Old 08-14-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummmm...

Just got back from Target and got the following for $5.99:

Remington Steele Season One
Little House on the Prairie Seasons One-Seven
MacGyver Season Two
Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Pocahontas 10th Anniversary

This adds to what I already had. One of each only, and it looks like certain Targets STILL have the price mistake going on...

Good Luck! (and BTW, I still have The Batman Animated Series 3 if anyone's interested in doing a trade - see the exchange forum thread...)
Old 08-14-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to pay a Target VISA Monday since it's due. I'll check but I don't expect to find anything.
Old 08-14-05, 10:16 PM

Did you go to a different store or did they restock at a store you've already been to??

Originally Posted by Flynn
Ummmm...

Just got back from Target and got the following for $5.99:

Remington Steele Season One
Little House on the Prairie Seasons One-Seven
MacGyver Season Two
Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Pocahontas 10th Anniversary

This adds to what I already had. One of each only, and it looks like certain Targets STILL have the price mistake going on...

Good Luck! (and BTW, I still have The Batman Animated Series 3 if anyone's interested in doing a trade - see the exchange forum thread...)
Old 08-14-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tonka65
In California that would be illegal, scanner laws..If a price rings higher than shelf price you get shelf price and 3 bucks if it is lower than 3 bucks you get it free.
If they have a shelf tag up they are 100% required to honor that price.
you could call weights and measures but iam sure they fixed it by now.
then they would be even more pissed at the 10k fine
From what I've been able to find (it's a PITA--all the England and Australia comes up first in search) California has pretty strict laws. For example, if they leave up the for sale signs after the sale is over (even if they have an expiration date that's already over) they have to charge you the sale price (sorry lost the link, but it's somewhere on the California consumer affairs page).

I couldn't find anything specific on the Federal Trade Commission site except this (it's actually cutoff on the official site, but other sites refer to it):
What responsibility does a company have to make sure that prices are accurate?
In many jurisdictions, companies are legally required to charge no more than the advertised or shelf price for a product, so good pricing practices are important for both customer satisfaction and a company's bottom line.
so, in some states at least, contrary to what I thought, it's probably true that they have to charge you the price on the shelf. But I've spent too much time, and it's all on legaleze, so that's it for me.
Old 08-14-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveCandy
Did you go to a different store or did they restock at a store you've already been to??

It was the same store I've gone to three times (one of three in the area and the only one with the 'deal'). Much to my complete shock, they had restocked today and that's the only reason I got what I did - they'd had the stuff pulled off the shelf or out-of-stock all week and weekend. I can't BELIEVE they restocked the stuff at the bad prices, but they most certainly did.
Old 08-14-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No luck at the Pasadena, TX Super Target on Fairmont. All the boxed sets were regular prices.

Congrats to all who got lucky out there! Don't be greedy.....hook some people up

I need the following sets if anyone wants to sell them to me!!

THE OC
GILMORE GIRLS(ANY SETS)
BAND OF BROTHERS
Smallville(any sets)
Sex In The City(Seasons 3 and Up)
Batman TAS(Any Sets)

I'll gladly pay double what you paid and of course I'll do the shipping

[email protected]

Thanks!
Old 08-15-05, 12:27 AM

Prices: Overcharges - AB 1721 (Koretz, D-West Hollywood)
Prohibits any person or store from charging an amount greater than the lowest price posted for a product, even if there is an expiration date posted for that product. This law clarifies that expired sale signs that are not removed must be honored by the merchant. It also clarifies the language of the law to cover scanner overcharges.

SEC. 2. Section 12024.2 of the Business and Professions Code is amended to read:

12024.2. (a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of a commodity, to do any of the following:

(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that commodity.

(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity, notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the posted price is in effect.

(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or by both, if the violation is willful or grossly negligent, or when the overcharge is more than one dollar ($1).

(c) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) when the overcharge is one dollar ($1) or less
but in order to get them in trouble for that you need to call the
dept of weights and measure's but by the time they get there the tags will be fixed.
this law only works if there is a shelf tag.
Old 08-15-05, 09:27 AM

Georgia Update

OK - Get this. Saturday I went to an Atlanta metro area Tarjay and observed the following. Two guys 25-30ish had target baskets loaded. Probably ~ 15-20 box sets each (no other Tarjay goods). What they didn't clean out I grabbed. MASH S 1 & 8 and 2 Little House S8. (fwiw I left 3 MASH sets and 1 LHOP) I got there just as they were making the getaway. I go over and scan a few TV box sets and they were regular price but the MASH & LOHP were $5.99. Not sure if the 2 before me made it out because next thing I know the dvd area is SWARMING with red vested bees!!! 2 managers and 4 drones walking around miffed n pissed. Then I'm being tailed by a drone but lost him in the toy aisle. The kids and I were looking at computer games and she hands me LHOP S1! This had been "misplaced" and I happily put it in the cart. Checked out the unmotivated drone chasier-scan and bag and I was outta there. I went back yesterday and p/u Jaws $5.99.
Old 08-15-05, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Auto'd DVD's
OK - Get this. Saturday I went to an Atlanta metro area Tarjay and observed the following.
Hi. Can you tell us which store this was, please?
Old 08-15-05, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by tonka65
but in order to get them in trouble for that you need to call the
dept of weights and measure's but by the time they get there the tags will be fixed.
this law only works if there is a shelf tag.
Shelf Tag or price tag. It doesnt apply to cash register mistakes.
Old 08-15-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sman113
Shelf Tag or price tag. It doesnt apply to cash register mistakes.
How about in-store scanner mistakes?
Old 08-15-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, just to keep this thread alive...

I was the last person in Little Rock to get any Target deals this morning (Monday). They had completely restocked all the shelves and my mouth gaped when I saw four Band of Brothers Sets sitting on the shelf. I pulled them up and scanned them - and they were back to full price. I did the same with the usual suspects, and just the same back to full price. I then noticed that Little House on the Prairie: Season 8 was restocked, so on a whim I scanned it... FULL PRICE. As I was putting it back though I noticed that the $5.99 tag had been put on the shelf beneath it. I went and got a sales associate and showed him the tag and said "I just need this last one to finish my collection, and the tag says $5.99 but it's ringing up for almost $40". He looked completely flustered that the tag had been put out for $5.99, but was very cool, radioed his manager and said "no problem, I'll check you out at my counter". He pulled the $5.99 tags down for two of the LHOP seasons, and I left with the last box set for the sale price. That was good enough for me...

I still never found FANTASTIC FOUR though. I really would've liked to have gotten it...
Old 08-15-05, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
How about in-store scanner mistakes?
IMO, that would be the same thing as a cash register, seeing as they are on the same system. But there is a legit argument to the contrary.
Old 08-15-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jessecrx
No luck at the Pasadena, TX Super Target on Fairmont. All the boxed sets were regular prices.
FWIWW, the "sale" was in limited supply @ this store - only 3 or so were priced $5.99. Went back just a while ago & the ones I got there were back to reg $.

One way Target is "fixing" the problem - have a red-shirt go around the 4-sided displays using the "guise" of re-arranging the displays while scanning each title for $ accuracy. At least that's what was happening when I went thru the dept.
Old 08-15-05, 09:15 PM

>>One way Target is "fixing" the problem - have a red-shirt go around the 4-sided displays using the "guise" of re-arranging the displays while scanning each title for $ accuracy. At least that's what was happening when I went thru the dept.
Old 08-15-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I scanned a few sets but got the regular prices. No stickers at $5.99 but I wasn't really expected to have any luck. There were lots of empty bins. They need to restock.
Old 08-16-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats to all of you who got in on this deal. I was in Mexico for the last week, so totally missed out. I was able to hit one Target before I left, and there were no price mistakes. Oh well. Hopefully I'll catch the next big price mistake...
Old 08-16-05, 08:59 AM

I missed out on this deal. I went to Great Target in Evansville, IN last night. No $6 dvd sets, but a lot of empty slots on the shelves. I think a few people got there before me.
Old 08-16-05, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TimT
I missed out on this deal. I went to Great Target in Evansville, IN last night. No $6 dvd sets, but a lot of empty slots on the shelves. I think a few people got there before me.
or the red shirts got them
Old 08-16-05, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by El Gray
Hi. Can you tell us which store this was, please?
Sandy Plains.
Old 08-16-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
For anyone interested in Deadwood season one; it is still mispriced today at the Glen Burnie Target on rutchie highway. It's $39.99 when it should be $80.00. Not as good a deal as the $5.99 sets, but still a very good bargain and there's a shelf full of them.
Old 08-16-05, 01:24 PM

I was able to pick up Jaws 30th Anniversary edition and The Color Purple for 5.99 each in North Haven, CT. Rang up full price, but the shelf label read 5.99.
Old 08-16-05, 02:09 PM

I got Jaws at that store. None of the other 8 or 9 things I was interested in rang up though.
Old 08-16-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wedge
I got Jaws at that store. None of the other 8 or 9 things I was interested in rang up though.
ok now i'm really sick. That's the closest Target to where i live (Madisonville), and i've been unable to make it up there because my Mom has been very sick and needs me here. Just thinking that i might have been able to score a few of these makes it soooo much worse. Life goes on, though!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.